Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein VII: Round Five

Post by Jefff »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
glennny wrote:You are a reasonable person
Yes, I'm the most down to earth person here, and that is why I'm calling you out on your detachment from reality.
Jesus. It's like Lucy with the football. MG, are you going to be a full bag of dicks in person too?
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

@den - not meaning to draw in to question your ability as a poet or songwriter. Just my feeling about rhyme and this particular challenge.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

consequently, Sylvia Plath's 'Mad Girl's Love Song' is listed on Wikipedia's page as an example of a villanelle, despite its three different rhyme sounds. I stared at this poem for quite a while and thought about my end-poem-within-a-poem concept. I have a theory that poetry and song lyrics are not always conducive to the same purpose. I both read the poem aloud and sung it to see if it worked in flow. I then sent it to BLT to see if he cared about the lyrics. That's the ultimate test. He's not a lyrics guy.

He did, so mission accomplished.
I await judge decisions. But this is not like "darkest place..." where I couldn't get the point of stops across. This is all very deliberate. And Decided Upon. And Strongly Felt About.

On S.Plath...
"name" goes with "insane" the first line doesn't fit the pattern because it's introducing the repeated couplet which gets re-stated in the quatrain. She plays with form, apparently acceptably according to Wikipedia and other sources. Enough to confuse this contestant.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

wow i feel bad that Glennny has entered the gauntlet to defend the bands choices. Speaking as a WSA member that had nothing to do with making this amazing song, i feel like i can say...all yall haters sound skurd :D
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

Ross wrote:@den - not meaning to draw in to question your ability as a poet or songwriter. Just my feeling about rhyme and this particular challenge.
that's fair enough. lots of people feel this way about rhyme, most often songwriters. I've often considered myself a writer with a piano for a pen. Perhaps the judges will also feel offended and I will be out for "bad rhyming." if so I'll continue to write bad little rhymes to weird little songs. oh well :)

I just did not want there to be a question of a lackadaisical approach. Not at this stage of the game when surrounded by such talent. Thanks for listening :)

Nur Ein!
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

RangerDenni wrote:I have a theory that poetry and song lyrics are not always conducive to the same purpose.
Truer words were never spoken.

I don't think anyone here who heard your song would accuse you of a lackadaisical approach.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:wow i feel bad that Glennny has entered the gauntlet to defend the bands choices. Speaking as a WSA member that had nothing to do with making this amazing song, i feel like i can say...all yall haters sound skurd :D
Yeah, if only I had four chums who could do the song for me when I was busy or maybe just didn't feel like it. Next year, I think JBB and Jeff and I will form a supergroup and then I'll only have to write a song once every three weeks. On the off-weeks, I'll just show up to make snide remarks and say things like "I'm a band member and I had nothing to do with making this amazing song!"
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

RangerDenni wrote:
Ross wrote:@den - not meaning to draw in to question your ability as a poet or songwriter. Just my feeling about rhyme and this particular challenge.
that's fair enough. lots of people feel this way about rhyme, most often songwriters..... Perhaps the judges will also feel offended and I will be out for "bad rhyming."
That's an interesting generalization about songwriters. I use imprecise rhyme often, and did single out "this particular challenge" for my feelings.

Btw, I never used the words "bad rhyme," i spoke of precision.

Also, I carefully didn't post these kinds of thoughts in this thread till I assume the judges have already done their rankings. i find these points of philosophy interesting and have no interest in trying to influence the judges, although I do sometimes wish their intentions and/or judgements related to the challenges were a bit more transparent.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man

Post by RangerDenni »

I'm sorry and I didn't mean to generalize. I'm not real good at communicating things.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

frankie big face wrote:
Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:wow i feel bad that Glennny has entered the gauntlet to defend the bands choices. Speaking as a WSA member that had nothing to do with making this amazing song, i feel like i can say...all yall haters sound skurd :D
Yeah, if only I had four chums who could do the song for me when I was busy or maybe just didn't feel like it. Next year, I think JBB and Jeff and I will form a supergroup and then I'll only have to write a song once every three weeks. On the off-weeks, I'll just show up to make snide remarks and say things like "I'm a band member and I had nothing to do with making this amazing song!"
I should have been clear in my comment. I had some pretty heavy stuff happen during the last round and i am glad i had the WSA support through not only the song but personally. And it is very true that if i had entered by myself i would have folded out of the compitition no question. No worries Frankie, you are right i shouldnt have said anything like that..i kinda thought i was making light of all the bickering but clearly it didnt come off that way. sorry about that.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Jefff wrote:MG, are you going to be a full bag of dicks in person too?
If you go by WSA's interpretation of "bag of dicks", I might actually be a really cool guy with a masturbatory guitar solo wedged in my face.

Seriously, though, I don't often stand up for principals. I usually don't believe in 'em. But what I see here is WSA flagrantly cheapening the game for everyone else by "interpreting" away hard challenges. So if you're trying to defend that, sure, you can call me a dick.

And you, are you going to be a passive-aggressive whiny bitch in person?
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

At least he said "full." No-one wants to be a half-full bag of dicks.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

It's better than being a half-empty one
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:It's better than being a half-empty one
Pessimist.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:And you, are you going to be a passive-aggressive whiny bitch in person?
A) It's more charming in person.

B) You're not standing up for shit. If WSA didn't meet the challenge, they'll get eliminated. If they don't get eliminated, you were wrong about the challenge, Wikipedia be damned.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Well, I'm guessing the judges are also dealing with these questions related to the challenge and we aren't going to see results tonight. Time for bed, I think. See you in the morning, everyone. (Except Caravan Ray since its probably already noon wherever he is.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I really want to see frankie and JB and Jefff form a supergroup next year. That would be awesome!

Anyway, sorry to butt in, please keep the entertainment coming.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Lunkhead wrote:I really want to see frankie and JB and Jefff form a supergroup next year. That would be awesome!
Why wait until next year? Start writing songs together gents!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

ken wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:I really want to see frankie and JB and Jefff form a supergroup next year. That would be awesome!
Why wait until next year? Start writing songs together gents!
I thought the point was they wouldn't write songs together, they would just alternate weeks. Did I miss something?

Oh, and Hi, Ken!! :-)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Firstly, I know Glennny's been the one doing all the arguing on our side but just to be clear I wrote the chorus in our song so I'll take all the vitriol directed at us for it's inclusion.

My first action upon seeing the title and challenge was to look up villanelle (then see that bgm had posted the link afterwards), I wrote my 2 main refrains (A1 and A2) as they are referred to in the wiki article and formed the verses around the rhyming structure as laid out there and I stuck strictly to it (I see some of the rhymes are maybe not what some of you were hoping for, you can put that down to my lack of quality as a songwriter). In my mind the challenge was met, then I wrote the chorus which satisfied my desire for a cool tune. My desire was definitely not to cheat, if that was the case I would have bribed the judges (with what I do not know, cigarettes probably). If I have made a mistake than that is all it is, a mistake. I was wrong with my interpretation of the challenge, fair enough, but I honestly don't understand why MG is so angry. If the judges let us through then I would assume that the challenge was open to a little rule bending, and if not then we get knocked out. Either way I would assume justice will be done.

in response to some comments...
Manhattan Glutton wrote:The point of restrictive challenges is to force you to be creative in other ways. You guys wrote a normal song, slapped in some odd rhymes, and called it good. That is not in the spirit of the competition. It's apparent you'll do anything to win. Even if the judges side with you, you should feel ashamed.
Even if the judges don't side with us shame is probably the opposite of what I will be feeling. I'm sorry if I sound like a dick when I say that, but in a few months time when this is all history all these songs will still be good songs regardless of whether they conformed to a villanelle or whatever. That is something to be proud of. So we won't win. I'm not too fussed about that. I hope you will forgive me.
frankie big face wrote:Yeah, if only I had four chums who could do the song for me when I was busy or maybe just didn't feel like it. Next year, I think JBB and Jeff and I will form a supergroup and then I'll only have to write a song once every three weeks. On the off-weeks, I'll just show up to make snide remarks and say things like "I'm a band member and I had nothing to do with making this amazing song!"
Are we not over this already? I know that we all have constraints in our lives and doing this kind of competition is a big strain, but we're not breaking any rules. I would encourage you to start a band with Jeff and JB. It brings a whole new set of challenges.
frankie big face wrote:@furrypedro - You're right, the bells (crotales, actually) are piercing. When I pulled them back in the mix, they lost something I wanted so I put them back. THERE HAS TO BE A WAY. I wanted the ending to sound like annihilation at the hand of murderous machines. It's insanely noisy, but it's just a bunch of stock loops from Logic, crotales, guitar, a synth patch (some kind of flute played really realy low) and voices.
Yeah, I know it's hard getting them in there suitably. Sometimes I find rolling off the high frequencies dramatically helps since you can keep the level high but reduce some of the piercingness (made-up word alert).
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Oh, and about the being in band with 5 people thing again, yes, I admit we have an advantage. I think we've written a few sucky songs this year and if Oystercatcher and others hadn't dropped out we would've been out already for sure.

I just wanted to iterate I do have some humility about that.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote:I wrote the chorus in our song
Well, I think the solution here is quite obvious.

If Pedro could just pop down to the nearest tattoo parlour and get the words "I AM A DIRTY STINKING CHEAT" prominently inked on his forehead and post us a photo here - I think we can all move on - all a little wiser for the experience, and everybody wins.

He should also get some dotted lines and the words "Cut Here" tattooed around his neck. Not because of anything here - it's just that tattoo always cracks me up. As I'm sure it does the owners. For ever. And ever.