Nur Ein VIII Round Zero "When the Time Comes"

There can be only one.
Mysteria
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Danni Rose

Re: Nur Ein VIII- Round Zero

Post by Mysteria »

I had hoped to have my reviews finished and posted tonight but life intervened this week. They're almost done and should be up at some point tomorrow.

Thanks for a fun, first challenge everyone!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Over all Comments:
I'd rather not hear gun shots as gunshots. Better as percussion, etc. The obvious genres implicit with gunshots don't appeal. And if there is an obvious nod to the genre, don't hit me over the head. Best yet, avoid the obvious all together!

This was a really busy week, so forgive the limited brilliant insights.

Frankie big face
The challenge doesn't add anything to the song per se, but it fits well in its place. This is witty, smart and tasteful. No doubt a bit of what is yet to come.

Merisan
Story, performance, production, textures are tremendous. Beautiful chorus. The challenge is set up beautifully, like a spaghetti western.

Cave Dwellers
Yes. And, yes. This makes me happy. I love the breaks, harmonies and percussive automatic fire power. Glad you all have your guns!

Jon Eric
Dallas? Are you just trying to distract from N Korea targeting Austin? But "No way out of this prison" ? Was there an Oswald letter I missed? Challenge fits the plot perfectly. Chilling, with the reporter's track.

The Tydon Docks
Funky and grooving. Love the method of meeting the challenge.

Paco Del Stinko
Here's tongue in cheek awesomeness. Go figure! Genre styling from a chameleon genius. I can see the empty chair narrating this, it's so sincere. Too much challenge.

Your Kids Friends Dad
Nice swing. Silly challenge with lyric

Balance Lost
Awesome thunder, vocals. Nice breaks.

Ken
Appropriately dire musical setting. Nice keyboard solo. Challenge is too obvious. I like the guns/drums pairing.

Boffo Yux Dudes
Fun cheesiness refreshing. To was or not to was...Challenge nice as lyric, less how the sample is used.

Dj Ranger
Love this haunting, questioning oasis. Challenge nice and buried rather than front and center.

Wreckdom
The Residents meet Beck. Challenge best after The Tydon Docks.

Ross Durand
Tremendous lyrics. Feel the chorus/bridge stalls on that phrase.

Dani House
Like a mutated bottle of blues, this beckons me with a familiar scent. Saved by the slide solo and the bridge. Challenge is short and sweet.

Manhattan Gluten
Tight rock performance but it doesn't stand out. Cheap use of challenge.

Chokehold Princess
Interesting instrumentation for someone with laryngitis! Challenge is its undoing. In a good way. Nice.

Carlo Bruno Jr

Sky Pup
Vocals are so weak. Challenge like distant thunder. I like that.

The Various Artists
Lyrics...um...Challenge is unique in this set, as rhythmic percussion

I found the rest either took such a cheap approach to the challenge or simply didn't step up this round to warrant much feedback.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Mysteria
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Danni Rose

Post by Mysteria »

Okay, so here's my two cents. I take reviews with a grain of salt and fully expect mine to be taken the same way so if you agree or find a gem of wisdom here, awesome, and if you think I'm full of flannel, cool deal...

Adam Adamant – creative use of gunfire as percussion – really enjoyed the contradictory aspect of the song, upbeat tune but slightly depressing subject matter – really catchy, I have been humming/singing this song all day

Balance Lost – good energy, good tune – I was waiting for a moment that just never happened for me, but hey that’s just me

Boffo Yux Dudes – good timing on the gunshots, enjoyable tune, lyrically it was up and down for me – really liked “Viking funeral” and “ rabid, angry voles”, others, not as much

Carlo Bruno Jr – a little hard for me to understand, the vocals needed to be a little louder over the music, but still fun and enjoyable

Cavedwellers – upbeat, catchy tune – almost seems like it could be a superhero’s theme song, nice flourish at the end, loved the beginning soundclip, made me think of vintage video games and cheesy 80s Saturday morning cartoons – all feelgood stuff

Chokehold Princess – a little too short, it felt more like a teaser than a whole song which made it a little disappointing as I felt this could have been promising

Dani House –good bluesy, southern rock vibe – reminiscent of other good, bluesy, southern rock vibes

DJ Ranger Den – haunting, melodic, nice mix of voiceover

Frankie Big Face – really like - great rhythmic energy - gave me the same kind of “want to get up and move” feeling I get from “Pumped Up Kicks” even though the two songs are nothing alike

Governing Dynamics – nice job, good story concept and tune, really enjoyed

Inflatable Vegetables – this was only so-so for me, the reverb kept throwing me and the use of the challenge could have been handled better

Jon Eric – really enjoyed the piano and the percussion line, soothing yet haunting, newscast voiceover

Ken Mahru – loved the prominent bass line (totally the way to my heart)

Manhattan Glutton – nice dramatic effect with the stop and restart – this was good, just not great for me compared to some of the entries for the week

Merisan – really enjoyed this one – singer has a clean, pretty voice, the acoustic solo was elegant, loved the “old, west coast, gold rush” era/”Unforgiven” feel to story,

Paco Del Stinko – this was a lot of fun to listen to – I kept picturing Inigo Montoya with a Munsters type theme for some reason (a strange image I know, but it was good for me)

Rabid Garfunkel – a little too short for my taste, the 2nd amendment commentary is timely– would have liked you to expand this a bit

Ross Durand – Catchy, I wanted a pair of shakers to play along with this myself and I liked the lyrics a lot – mouse or man? Yeah – good stuff.

ROTR – this was a little too much synthesized voice, and too short with the abrupt ending – came across as messy for my tastes

Sky Pup – the soldier tribute is sweet in a sad, soulful way – good concept, could use a little refining but I like the direction you went with this

Tubba Gutz – I’m not a big fan of heavy robotic sound, did like the keyboards, but couldn’t get into the song

The Tydon Docks – good tune, nice to see a different interpretation to the title/challenge, definitely earned extra points for the originality and exploiting a loophole

The Various Artists – like the instrumental, good percussion, it needed to gel a little more for me to rank higher this round

WreckdoM –not bad just not my style or taste – too electronic – something about it made me think of The Garden by GNR (not a bad thing)

Your Kid’s Friends Dad – I thought this was a fun, literal approach to the challenge – song had amusing lyrics and a good tune
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

IAAC. WAIL.
Reviewed in a hotel room in upstate new York, streaming on a blackberry (no headphones and on a patchy internet connection) – so that’s why my review may not sound like your song at all 

Adam Adamant – Good story. Cute song. Harmonies at end are horrible and unnecessary.

Balance Lost – Love the little musical evolutions throughout the song, like the morse code synth. Subtle, perhaps not the earworm I thought was going to be.

Boffo Yox Dudes – Brave choice and you almost pull it off. Not sure all the different tones in the voices don’t distract from the impact of the song, but they’re all good.

Carlo Bruno Jr – Ooooh, proggy. Good if obvious use of the gunshot percussion. Quite strong melody here and demonic BVs for the win. A little repetitive.

Cave Dwellers – lovely vocal. The “8-bit” start was great and I wanted a bit more of that. Overall, it’s a bonkers, lacking in focus.

Chokehold Princess – ugly a capella! Cute offering but if you don’t get the joke / find it funny there’s nothing else here so I can’t rate too highly.

Dani House – prejudice against country blues rock. Well done enough to count as pastiche, of Beck or someone like that. Not moved by it much though.

DJ Ranger Den. Apart from being QUIET, that’s some lovely soundscaping, creepy and moodfull. Great stuff.

Frankie Big Face – Sounds great. Clever but not clever-clever message song. Lacking some of the touches I expect from FBF, but a good solid catchy tune and a great lyric. “Heston/Vest on” made me think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWa3ouFWwJs

Government Dynamics – Up-tempo bounciness, constructed skilfully but a little unengaging despite the big Killers / Springsteen feel going on. Lots of cool bits, mind – I like the “I was too late” refrain, for instance.

Inflatable Vegetables – everything wrong here yet it somehow works. The mix off , the sounds like a sample vocals are bit dumb, yet I like it. Wish the drums were lot louder. Angry gunshots work some places better than others. Overall hmmmmm

Jon Eric – Simpering vocal and inappropriate drum programming drg down a good story. Some of the rhymes are clunky. Feels like lyrically showing off a little too much which jerks me out of the moment once too often.

Ken Mahru – Did you just rhyme “comes / guns / drums”? Despite that, it’s a catchy chorus.Could do with some contrapuntal harmonies to offset the rigid direction of the song. Awesome Moog-y solo. I like this.

Manhattan Glutton – Hey, I liked grunge too but I don’t feel the need to pastiche it ll the time  So basically the chorus is the verse with louder guitars. This goes nowhere nicely.

Merisan – opening sample too long, dynamically. Nicely done, a little easy. Classical guitar is lovely. I come away with one strange impression – if Leonard Cohen recorded this, I would have loved it. Take from that what you will!

Paco del Stinko – I hate sensitive shit  Kind of works for me, mind – more Stan Ridgeway than Johnny Cash, though. Hammering home the challenge much? The last 30 seconds of this works for me the best. Hmmmm

Rabid Garfunkel – good opening! Another guns/comes rhyme? The track could do with being MUCH louder. Not huge amount here, sadly. It feels like a sketch, half an arresting song.

Ross Durand – totally predictable but all sounds so sweet I don’t really mind too much. I’ve given up hope for a kazoo solo half way through. You do what you do and do it well.

ROTR – That first 30 seconds is wonderful. Who doesn’t love the Stooges? But there is something lazy here which I find annoying – maybe it’s pretending not to own a good microphone.

Sky Pup – oh dear, this lyric is a parody of itself. In the trenches, playing my guitar? Rhyming world and girl? Urk! Otherwise pretty standard G’n’G. Your gunshots sound like fireworks. War is bad, yeah, got that. Not bad, not good. A Hmmmm.

Tubba Gutz – Where’s the bass? A dance song you can’t dance to. A sexless, hateful, self-hating “will this do?” moment. Some great ideas in here, so it’s time to stop cocking about.

The Tydon Docks – Perky and handsome though the spoken word parts are a definite “no”. Skips along without me really noticing – overall it’s pretty, but that’s not meant entirely as a compliment.

The Various Artists – Another over-heavy use of gunshot sounds. The music I like. The mix on the vocals could be smoother. I don’t dislike this but I couldn’t say I liked it exactly.

Your Kid’s Dad’s Friend – The problem with comedy songs, I find, is if you don’t find them funny, nd there’s nothing else to hold the attention, you run the risk of coming across as unbearably smug. Which is where I end up with this song. I mean, everything is done well but at best it’s a ‘meh’ moment for me, because I just don’t find it amusing at all. Sorry.

Wreckdom – A great track, sleazy and groovy. I liked this a lot.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

@J$ - yeah, Glenn mentioned that too. I don't think I've ever heard that song. Being oblivious has its perks.

(Okay, now I'm looking it up and realizing it is on A Fierce Pancake, which I love but obviously haven't listened to in a long time. So I can't claim to have "never heard it." Dammit!)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'd like to thank everyone who reviewed the songs, but especially the judges. When you're a contestant in this thing, just trying to figure out what all the parameters are, it's incredibly helpful to have the perspective of the people who are actually in charge of ranking us.
roymond wrote:But "No way out of this prison" ? Was there an Oswald letter I missed?
I took some artistic license with Oswald's motives. It's a metaphorical prison, not the one he got thrown into after actually committing the deed. I can see how that's more confusing than I intended it. Thanks for the comments, though!
Mysteria wrote: Jon Eric – really enjoyed the piano and the percussion line, soothing yet haunting, newscast voiceover
Thanks! I never expected the drum track to be so divisive, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
j$ wrote: Jon Eric – Simpering vocal and inappropriate drum programming drg down a good story. Some of the rhymes are clunky. Feels like lyrically showing off a little too much which jerks me out of the moment once too often.
You and I might be operating with different definitions of "simpering." Could I trouble you for some clarification on that point?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Nur Ein Round Zero reviews.
I have to say that while there was some very good music in this round, it was also a bit disappointing. Some bands really skated by when it came to the challenge and it overall felt like the bands were conserving their energies for later rounds with a risk of elimination. I can understand that thinking, Round Zero is essentially the practice round where you get used to timing, get a feel for the judges and the whole Nur Ein process, etc. Still, I hoped for more especially with the strong group of contenders we have this year. So, if these reviews come off as a bit negative, just now that I think a lot of this group of bands and I’m only being critical because I’ve seen top notch stuff from them in the past.

ROTR- It was good to see Sven Mullet back in the Nur Ein. But I didn’t enjoy this song much. One would think that a song that’s less than a minute long would just slide under the radar but no, it made enough of an impression to earn dislike. It’s mostly due to the heavily effected vocals and some really weak lyrics. I was hoping for some hard rock this year but this was just sloppy.

Sky Pup- I’m all for lo-fi acoustic rock. The problem with this song was a very low energy delivery. Just because the song is a sad ballad doesn’t mean that the vocals have to be lifeless. And what was up with the guitar in the trenches. What military commander in their right mind is gonna let a soldier have a guitar in the trenches. If you’re in the trenches, I wouldn’t think there would be time for leisure activites.

Boffo Yux Dudes- This was the middle of the pack for me. I didn’t love or hate it. BYD humor doesn’t always hit with me and this song was no exception. But it was well performed and didn’t offend.

Ross Durand- I liked the concept of “What are you going to do when the time comes?” but I question if the song completely came to fruition. This felt very conservative. The challenge wasn’t handled in a creative way. It’s not a standout in this round but it’s not a bad song. It just didn’t live up to the potential.

WreckdoM- This song was just all over the place. The gunshots in the percussion were a nice touch but overall, it felt like a jumble of bits pasted together. It really missed the mark. I hope for more coming from WreckdoM in future rounds.

The Tydon Docks- Caravan Ray can put together a song like this in his sleep. Some double entendres over a bouncy beat and you’ve got a good share of his catalog. But that doesn’t make it bad. Quite the contrary, I enjoyed this song’s take on the title and was even forgiving of the “sound of gunfire” being just onomatopoeia. It was just plain fun and sometimes that’s all you need.

FBF- Frankie Big Face can put together a song like this in his sleep… or at least in a couple of minutes after a trip. It’s well performed and though I’m not a big fan of the lyric, especially the chorus, the song as a whole is fairly well done. This is middle of the pack stuff but Frankie was able to shine this up all the way to a victory (at least when all the judges scores were combined. He didn’t have my top score nor 2nd or 3rd.)

Balance Lost- I really enjoyed this song a lot. The lyric was very strong and music was exceptional. The rhythm is great and this was all put together very well. But when it came to the challenge, it was so incredibly tacked on. It’s not even the sound of gunfire, it’s a gun cocking. Balance Lost needs to put more into the challenges for future rounds.

Chokehold Princess- I’m glad to see another returning champion in the mix. Now I understand that Ben had a case of laryngitis going into this round. So, my question is why would you do a barbershop quartet, if you didn’t have the vocal chops? On the other hand, I liked the black comedy aspect of the little song.

Ken Mahru- I disliked this song far far more than I thought I would. It’s the chorus that does it. On second thought, the whole lyric leaves something to be desired. What is this song’s message or story? I don’t get it. As for the performance, it was nothing earth shattering. It was just kinda there.

Governing Dynamics-This song was one of my favorites in the round. I enjoyed the story telling in the lyrics. The song reminded me of 90’s indie rock like Dramarama, which is a good thing. I would usually say that the vocals lacked some energy in places but it seems like part of that 90’s delivery and I enjoyed the throwback.

Manhattan Glutton- Truth be told, this song was like a glass of warm milk to me. It kept making me nod off while listening. Is it a bad song? Not the worst of the round by a long shot but this song does nothing for me. It fell right in the middle of the pack for me.

Rabid Garfunkel- Not the worst RG song that I’ve ever heard. I just felt like this song needed more to it. It just felt very bare. The most interesting part was the intro with its atmospheric sounds. Too bad, it didn’t stick around thus leaving a threadbare lyric and spoken word bit that didn’t work very well.

Paco Del Stinko- The Stink’s Western tale was enjoyable. I like being able to follow a story in a song, so it made for a fun listen even though it was all very tongue in cheek. It’s not a song that I could see myself giving repeated listens to because of the high-camp factor but in small doses, it’s a satisfying little tune.

The Various Artists- I think using the gunshots as percussion in an EDM song was a good idea. But the song was hampered by the fact that it had barely any lyrics. All it has is “Run for it, Oh Baby, when the time comes” and that Oh Baby couldn’t feel more out of place. Add in the flat robotic delivery and this song was my least favorite of the round.

Merisan- They handled this all very well. Their performance was top notch. This was well put together as they made some very smart vocal choices and I love the Spanish style guitar solo. One of my favorites in the round.

Jon Eric- Great concept with some pretty nasty flaws. I had no problems with the performances. Jon Eric may not be the best vocalist but he handled this song well and his piano playing is always his strong suit. The big flaw for me here is the lyrics. “scare the meek”, “knit your brow”, “the hole I made with the gun in the crook of my arm”; all of those induced some groans. Too cheesy and it kills the mood.

Cavedwellers- Nice to see Glennny bring Lee into the fray. The song is good. It’s got an old school Songfight feel to it (like it could’ve been released back in the days of A Kid Named Ace and Brother Machine). I hated the little bridge part with Glennny’s got his glock and the David and Golly bit. That was WAY too campy for my taste. But all in all it was a good tune, though unremarkable. Middle of the pack.

Carlo Bruno Jr.- One of my two favorites in this round. It’s got great rhythm. It’s all composed very well. I like the growling vocals. This was a breath of fresh air in the competition. It used the guns as percussion which I enjoyed a lot. A definite keeper in my record collection.

Adam Adamant- My favorite in this round. I liked the slice of life story style of the lyrics. The ukulele sounded great. The keys were used very well. It’s the catchiest song of the round by a mile. Guns in the percussion in a way that wasn’t hitting you over the head with the fact that it’s a gun. This is a spectacular song.

DJ Ranger Den- I am a huge advocate for pushing the boundaries. This song is avant-garde and just plain weird but it works. The danger with experimenting is the risk of failure. This time, DJRD didn’t fail. The mix of the effected vocals over the sparse piano and the ambient bits made for a song that is ana experience. It feels like a trip to a sci-fi apocalypse. Great stuff.

Inflatable Vegetables- Did he say “And the lion does division”? What is that? This was just kind of bland. There just needed to be something in there to give this some life, a little sonic unpredictability to spark it up. There wasn’t enough of a difference between the verses and the chorus, so the song just ran on and on.

YKFD- It almost verged on too campy but it ended being just the right tone. The “and it sounds like this” felt like a way to shoehorn the challenge into the song. The vocals are very solid and it was all well played. It has a very catchy chorus which benefitted this song greatly. Slowly becoming one of my faves of the round.

Dani House- The challenge is almost nonexistent in this song. This song is okay. It didn’t blow me away nor did it fill me with hatred. The vocals had some shaky moments in there. The lyrics had some less than inspired moments at points. And the guitar solo just didn’t need to be there but all in all, a pretty decent entry with some charm to it.

Tubba Gutz- It’s great to have Luke back in the Nur Ein, but this is an experiment that missed the mark. The affected vocals were not appealing and putting them underneath the jingling synths did them no favors. So those two parts made for a bad mix and that mix would go on for a few minutes making this hard to enjoy.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Submitting as: Sky Pup

Post by skypup »

Niveous wrote:And what was up with the guitar in the trenches. What military commander in their right mind is gonna let a soldier have a guitar in the trenches. If you’re in the trenches, I wouldn’t think there would be time for leisure activites.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... =wheatbelt

Apparently there was quite a bit of time for leisure activities for Australian soldiers in World War I and there was at least one guitar-like instrument made and played in the trenches.

That said, I don't think I made the 'no energy' mistake for my Round 1 entry. I made completely different mistakes this time.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Niveous wrote:...when it came to the challenge, it was so incredibly tacked on. It’s not even the sound of gunfire, it’s a gun cocking. Balance Lost needs to put more into the challenges for future rounds.
I totally get what you're saying and agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm almost taking this Nur Ein as a chance to make "a point" about the challenges because I think they can sometimes ruin a good song for the sake of challenge satisfaction. My philosophy is that nothing should come in the way of making a good song at any cost. I know an important part of Nur Ein is the challenges but even when I was a judge I would give kudos to a good song that addressed the challenge weakly.

I do not expect to win Nur Ein (partly cos I'm out of the country in round 5 so I'm basically fucked). I just want to write some good songs. But if a shit song scores higher than me just because it meets the non-optional challenge better than mine then good for you guys, I still have a better song. I hate sounding like a dick, but I kind of am a dick so there ya go.

I wish I could make a better account of myself, like Paco does. I love that guy. I should probably drink less.

Non-optional challenges suck feet.

Ps. Nur Ein!!?~@~@!~!!?@"?@!">@!!£$^%$£%&$&(£^(

Edit: What are you saying anyway?! That's totally a gunshot in my tacked-on-challenge-thing.
I ain't never cocked a real gun before but I'm pretty sure it doesn't sound like that without a shot being fired.
Last edited by furrypedro on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

My favourite songs from this were the Governing Dynamics and Adam Adamant songs. Swell work fellas!
Last edited by furrypedro on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

furrypedro wrote:My philosophy is that nothing should come in the way of making a good song at any cost. I know an important part of Nur Ein is the challenges...
If you want to write a good song with no limits, there's a thread for that and a whole other site for that. If you want to play Nur Ein then suck it up and write a song with these extraordinary limiting requirements: use the title given, and creatively respond to the challenge if and when they are presented. It's pretty simple.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote: I hate sounding like a dick, but I kind of am a dick so there ya go.
Word on the street is that you are actually a cheating half-full bag of dicks

Ahh Nur Ein VII - good times!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

roymond wrote:If you want to write a good song with no limits, there's a thread for that and a whole other site for that.
Sometimes I even write songs that have nothing to do with any any sites/thread, that's allowed too right?

I did
roymond wrote:suck it up
cos I did a
j$ wrote:google search for "gunshot WAV free"
and then
Niveous wrote:tacked on
j$ wrote:gunshot WAV
to my
roymond wrote:good song
and I qualified! Yay. I totally get these rules. We are on the same page :D
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Generic wrote:You and I might be operating with different definitions of "simpering." Could I trouble you for some clarification on that point?
Sure. This is my definition of simpering.

tee hee. I guess in this sense, i mean the vocal is self-conscious, a little coy. Obviously I'm using it figuratively (a voice can't smile), but it pretty much covers what I mean. The emotion doesn't convince.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote:
roymond wrote:If you want to write a good song with no limits, there's a thread for that and a whole other site for that.
Sometimes I even write songs that have nothing to do with any any sites/thread, that's allowed too right?

I did
roymond wrote:suck it up
cos I did a
j$ wrote:google search for "gunshot WAV free"
and then
Niveous wrote:tacked on
j$ wrote:gunshot WAV
to my
roymond wrote:good song
and I qualified! Yay. I totally get these rules. We are on the same page :D
Which bit of your body are you going to tattoo this year, dick boy?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Don't give him ideas. We might end up with a Death Grips album cover.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

My penis. Pics to follow once I decide whether to do a smiley face or a bag of dicks (half full, obviously).
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

Hi,

Before all, i'm an spanish fighter. So, beware my english, because is builded only upon the songs and hardware manuals, not at school. Being very hard for me to write an english song, more or less i can do it. To write a post it's almost impossible, but...
Paco del Stinko:
Carlo Bruno Jr. - . Is this Ray Negro?
Yes, it is!!!. But.... how the f can you know that? I have no songfighted since 2006!!!! (and only three times). Wow.
Eric Y.
Vocals sound like they are done by Cheech Marin.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Märk
PS: I liked the Carlo Bruno Jr. song the best. I can't tell if he's genuine or pulling our chain... either way, kudos, man.
What means "pulling our chain"? I can't understand it. It seems important to get the whole sense of Mark's words. Can anybody help me? (If anybody understood this, of course)

NUR EIN!!!!!!!!
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Submitting as: Sky Pup

Post by skypup »

carlo bruno jr wrote:What means "pulling our chain"? I can't understand it. It seems important to get the whole sense of Mark's words. Can anybody help me? (If anybody understood this, of course)
It means joking by tricking someone. It sounds like he isn't sure if this is your genuine musical style or if you are putting this style on for a laugh. Either way, it's good stuff.
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

skypup wrote:
carlo bruno jr wrote:What means "pulling our chain"? I can't understand it. It seems important to get the whole sense of Mark's words. Can anybody help me? (If anybody understood this, of course)
It means joking by tricking someone. It sounds like he isn't sure if this is your genuine musical style or if you are putting this style on for a laugh. Either way, it's good stuff.
Ah, ok. Thanks skypup!!
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

carlo bruno jr wrote:
Märk
PS: I liked the Carlo Bruno Jr. song the best. I can't tell if he's genuine or pulling our chain... either way, kudos, man.
What means "pulling our chain"? I can't understand it. It seems important to get the whole sense of Mark's words. Can anybody help me? (If anybody understood this, of course)

NUR EIN!!!!!!!!
Hola Carlo, es una frase de Inglés, que significa "tratar de llevarnos a lo largo, cuando, al final, todo fue una broma". Usted realmente me sonaba como si estuviera imitando el acento, etc, pero me entiendes ahora, que está escribiendo y cantando una canción en un idioma no nativo, y que allí mismo se duplica en los últimos elogios que te di :)
Espero Google Traductor tenía sentido de esta ...
* this is not a disclaimer
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Märk wrote:
carlo bruno jr wrote:
Märk

NUR EIN!!!!!!!!
Hola Carlo, es una frase de Inglés, que significa "tratar de llevarnos a lo largo, cuando, al final, todo fue una broma". Usted realmente me sonaba como si estuviera imitando el acento, etc, pero me entiendes ahora, que está escribiendo y cantando una canción en un idioma no nativo, y que allí mismo se duplica en los últimos elogios que te di :)
Espero Google Traductor tenía sentido de esta ...
Carlo, recuerde que la marca es canadiense. Todos ellos tienen una mascota alces y obtener su leche en bolsas de plástico. Siempre pienso que la gente está tratando de engañar.