Nur Ein VIII Round One "Looking Glass"

There can be only one.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein VIII- Round One

Post by BenKrieger »

Chokehold Princess – I want to like this more than I do. The joke is done by about a minute and it doesn’t really seem to go anywhere for the remaining 2 ½ minutes. The uke / mandolin / garrotte wire tone is too harsh to be that high in the mix. Rushed.
I feel like I've proven myself on the mix front and a lot of my previous wins were actually crappy compositions with good arrangements and production that the judges seemed to favor. For a changemy goal for this Nur Ein is to try and focus on the writing, then record without the aid of my home studio, using only lo-fi techniques like my iPhone and onboard Macbook mike, and trying to let the songs themselves stand on their own. Any judge whose criteria belongs in "Production Fight" will rank me low.
Last edited by BenKrieger on Wed May 01, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ValleyOfSteelstress
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Asya646

Post by ValleyOfSteelstress »

skypup wrote:Congratulations WreckdoM! A well deserved winner!

I'm baffled at how high I ranked. Were the judges high when ranking these? I'm not complaining though. Thanks guys.

No Comment ;) I will say that I liked the creativity used... you'll see later in my reviews but I liked how different it was from the pack! Kudos to you and keep it up!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

j$ wrote:Yeah, I would have had such meta-wank-frippery as beneath you, rightly. i just didn't like it because it 'eh?'ed me and dragged me out of the moment. Didn't affect my ranking at all.
I'm pretty sure "meta-wank-frippery" just became my official genre.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

BenKrieger wrote:
Chokehold Princess – I want to like this more than I do. The joke is done by about a minute and it doesn’t really seem to go anywhere for the remaining 2 ½ minutes. The uke / mandolin / garrotte wire tone is too harsh to be that high in the mix. Rushed.
I feel like I've proven myself on the mix front and a lot of my previous wins were actually crappy compositions with good arrangements and production that the judges seemed to favor. For a changemy goal for this Nur Ein is to try and focus on the writing, then record without the aid of my home studio, using only lo-fi techniques like my iPhone and onboard Macbook mike, and trying to let the songs themselves stand on their own. Any judge whose criteria belongs in "Production Fight" will rank me low.
Fair enough, though i don't really consider it a "production fight" comment, just a comment on the construction of the song itself. I found the tone of the instrument painful to listen to, which made it seem much longer than 3 1/2 minutes. A different instrument might have made me enjoy it more. in the same way I'm less likely to be able to finish a book in comic sans than helvetica. If it's a cracking read then I might put up with it.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Congratulations to the winner, well-deserved for a great song.

I just realized the reviews I wrote are currently on my work computer, and since I'm at home today, they'll have to be posted at some future time. However, THIS one says pretty much how I felt, just a little differently than how I said it:
j$ wrote:FBF – [...]the part I like the least is the waltz stuff [...] I disliked the waltz explanation (2,3, you got it, one more time) unless it’s just a “happy now, judges?” moment?
Furthermore:
frankie big face wrote:I think it's time to start eliminating judges. Let's start with Judge 5.
Frankie, as I recall (it's been quite a few years), back in the days of the original somesongs, you had dozens of really excellent songs which were all among my favorites. Out of all of those, there was only one (I forget what it was) that I did not care for. And that one song was REALLY bad, in my opinion. So it seems that almost every time, your songs are really successful, but when they fail they do so spectacularly. Again, all based on my personal opinion.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

@Eric Y. - Clearly, you were listening under the influence of drugs. And not good drugs either. I'm going to take away from your review that you think I am "spectacular"!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

FYI, many/most of frankie's songs and their ratings and comments should still be there, in the "non-original" somesongs, since Jeff gave me the original site's data:

http://somesongs.org/artists/frankie-big-face-8
Tubba Gutz
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Sequencer, Laptop
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Tubba Gutz, Roach Bites

Post by Tubba Gutz »

My reviews -

Balance Lost - I like the music quite a bit, but I feel like it's going to build into something more and it doesn't quite get there for me. This, like a lot of your music, has a "professional" quality to it though. You may have written and recorded it slap dash for an internet competition, but it sounds much more important than that. I just wish this song had a shimmering, epic, The National type ending. It hints at going there.

Boffo Yux Dudes - Does humor belong in music? I generally think so, but while I recognize that this is a "funny song," it doesn't make me laugh. Looking for substance beyond that, it's just not really my style.

Carlo Bruno Jr. - I like the harmonies a lot. A good, solid song. I was starting to get a little bored, but then it gets a little more strange and caught my interest again.

Cavedwellers - Love the varied instrumentation. It lends a more complex, interesting sound. Lyrically and vocally it didn't keep my attention, but I think it's pretty easy on the ears.

Chokehold Princess - I don't think the goat throughout the whole song is necessary. The profanity in the lyrics kind of jumps out to me in a way that distracts me from the song. The claps are jarring, too. This is another "funny song" that unfortunately I just don't think is very funny.

Dani House - Kind of a Beirut vibe, that's pretty cool. I feel like I'm on a cobblestone street in Italy. It picks up just when I was starting to lose interest, which I think is a smart move. It cries out for some harmonies.

DJ Ranger Den - Sounds fit for the stage! Great, dextrous playing. The feeling behind the singing resonates with me, although lyrically I found it a bit clunky.

Frankie Big Face - I like the song, musically and melodically. It has an almost Superdrag feel mixed with Broadway. The actual vocalization of the time-counting of the waltz seems unnecessary. It's good. Comes in, pops, and bows out.

Governing Dynamics - This doesn't have the "bounce" to it that I was hoping for in a waltz challenge. It's a good, if perhaps a bit meandering, 90s alternative groove. Lacks punch. I like the guitar tones, though.

Inflatable Vegetables - I'm sorry to lump you into a sort of "group," but I'm having a lot of difficulty with songs that are obviously striving for a comedic/silly route and the jokes are just not landing well. Did this song make you laugh as you were writing it? To me that's a pretty good litmus test of whether or not something is funny. Past that, maybe it's just a difference in tastes.

Jon Eric - I like the way you wove in the waltz element. It creates a cool tension that keeps me interested. This is another song that sounds like it belongs in a musical, and within that context I like it. As a pop song, I'm not terribly captivated by it. The echo effect is distracting to me.

Ken Mahru - It's refreshing to hear a really earnest song in this bunch. Has a cool, workman-like quality sort of reminding me of Bob Mould. A pretty simple song, nothing that breaks any new ground, but it has me bobbing my head.

Manhattan Glutton - Starts with a drunken country sound, which immediately captures my interest. Then the vocals just sound so clean! And sober! Oh well, the song is nice and I like the lead guitar and the harmonies. Not much else jumps out at me until the bridge. I suppose maybe that's what a bridge is supposed to do, re-capture my interest. I just wish I hadn't lost it to begin with.

Merisan - This is very well-done. I love the harmonies, which are tight and creative. Jon Brion kind of vibe near the end, which is always a plus!

Paco del Stinko - I'm at a loss, I'm sorry. I can't think of any particular reason, but I just don't enjoy this. It might be the vocal delivery, or just the breezy tempo, but it doesn't much engage me.

Ross Durand - Again, it's not that there is anything wrong with this song, I've just heard it before. I want to hear something new and exciting, and this - while well-executed - just isn't it.

Sky Pup - Well this certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I have to give points for that. It actually made me jump as I was lying on the couch. I have to say I'm kind of amazed you continue the song after the initial sort of noisy burst. Especially when the second "weird noisy break" doesn't do anything to enhance the song and just serves to alienate and irritate.

The Tydon Docks - Thank you, a short song that just shows up and gets it done. Not only that, it's a comedy song that made me laugh! This is a song that has had the fat trimmed off, and is just enjoyable through and through. Not to mention I appreciate the shout out. The ending is inspired.

WreckdoM - Is this a new, more introspective and spiritually fulfilled WreckdoM? It's very pretty. I like the harmonies quite a bit, they make the song for me. Not what I was expecting, and quite enjoyably so.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

A truly schizoid round. But the winner won :) That was awesome!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

The claps are jarring, too
Not clapping. Two branches.
ValleyOfSteelstress
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Here's my simple view of these songs, I am not going to be overly critical.. so I am only going to give my review of a few... hopefully next week I will have more time

Balance Lost-

Boffo Yux Dudes- I liked this song quite a bit... cute concept... not a huge fan of the twangy accent you have going on but over all nice use of the waltz theme and the lyrics were funny well written and cute... B+

Carlo Bruno Jr.-
I really wanted to like this song, but I couldn't connect as much this week as last week... looking forward to next week's song with you... I know you have it in you to wow me.

Cavedwellers- Banjo quite an easy way to this gal's heart! :D Thank you for a lovely song!

Chokehold Princess- I think it was the goat sound effect that just made me kinda not as happy with it as I could have been... it's a good idea just the goat noise drove me nuts... plus you said fucking ass and all I could think about is someone having sex with the goat to make that noise ( I am so sorry ) but I loved last week's song, and I can't wait to hear more from you!

Dani House I think you have a charming voice and approach to this tune. the bells were a lovely touch.

DJ Ranger Den

Frankie Big Face I am unsure how I feel about this, even after judging I am still unsure. It was a refreshing change from the pack but a little poppy for my taste, FBF has a way of gripping me every time I hear him sing... to me that's magic. Not the best song in the round but for sure no where near the worst.

Governing Dynamics I feel like we listened to the same bands in the 90's... I liked this song, overall great attempt

Inflatable Vegetables

Jon Eric

Ken Mahru This was a tight jam! Nice work!

Manhattan Glutton

Merisan

Paco del Stinko

Ross Durand

Sky Pup
I was scared of your vocal but this concept was awesome! Keep it up Kip Dynamite!

Tubba Gutz

The Tydon Docks - I wasn't going to do reviews but... I HAD to tell you I LOVED this song... I heard it once and all I could imagine was Rat Scabies singing along with you in the background. I love The Damned and this just fit right in the vain of : "Don't Bother Me", or "anti-pope" or one of my all time favorites "I just can't be happy today". Thank you thank you thank you for this!

WreckdoM
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Hey! So nice to finally be off work and able to say THANK YOU to everybody for being so nice and sharing such kind words about our song. I've been bouncing off the walls all day! What a thrill. I was very nervous about how this one would be received I'm glad ya'll liked it. I hope to offer some reviews tomorrow, and now, at the risk of appearing totally self absorbed...
Manhattan Glutton wrote: some of your "ess" sounds come through distorted (may I guess that this is from pitch correction? I won't hate.)
Yes, it's true, but not used to extent that the pitch was actually corrected, more just a decrapifier
glennny wrote: This could use an ending as well.
I agree, I think if we'd had more time to listen to it we'd have added something
j$ wrote: you skim along the title in a few lines then move onto a song called “Waltz of the Dead”, right?
When writing the lyrics I was thinking looking glass as the unspoken name of the pond, and at one point had a lyric that said something about a peculiar name, but at the last minute chickened out and added the name into the second chorus. Also saying waltz is kind of a double assurance of meeting the challenge.
j$ wrote: only it could be anyone, not just Wreckdom.
That's kind of a good thing, I guess. But we won't be doing it in future rounds I don't think.
Tubba Gutz wrote: Is this a new, more introspective and spiritually fulfilled WreckdoM?
Yes, yes it is. It happens in the Autumn years.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

ValleyOfSteelstress wrote:The Tydon Docks - I wasn't going to do reviews but... I HAD to tell you I LOVED this song... I heard it once and all I could imagine was Rat Scabies singing along with you in the background. I love The Damned and this just fit right in the vain of : "Don't Bother Me", or "anti-pope" or one of my all time favorites "I just can't be happy today". Thank you thank you thank you for this!
Well thank you. And you're welcome.

I was always a Clash and Newtown Neurotics man myself. "New Rose" is the only Damned song I recall ever hearing I think. That and a sixties cover..."Eloise"? I will have to look up the songs you referenced
ValleyOfSteelstress
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Caravan Ray wrote:
ValleyOfSteelstress wrote:The Tydon Docks - I wasn't going to do reviews but... I HAD to tell you I LOVED this song... I heard it once and all I could imagine was Rat Scabies singing along with you in the background. I love The Damned and this just fit right in the vain of : "Don't Bother Me", or "anti-pope" or one of my all time favorites "I just can't be happy today". Thank you thank you thank you for this!
Well thank you. And you're welcome.

I was always a Clash and Newtown Neurotics man myself. "New Rose" is the only Damned song I recall ever hearing I think. That and a sixties cover..."Eloise"? I will have to look up the songs you referenced
We have the Clash in common as well... and I think if you are going to listen to anything by The Damned those two songs while great are not really my favorites... I think "Smash It Up" or all of the album Machine Gun Etiquette are great places to start... thank you again for a truly enjoyable tune! I loved it!
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:
Manhattan Glutton wrote: some of your "ess" sounds come through distorted (may I guess that this is from pitch correction? I won't hate.)
When I have that problem, I try to correct around the sibilant or turn off the FX for it and it usually works out okay. So that's an option in the future, in case it bothers you. It's really only noticeable to someone ridiculous like me.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Some words about your songs, presented in order from my most favoritest to my least favoritest. If you disagree with anything that's written here, it's because I was "listening under the influence of drugs. And not good drugs either."

Ross Durand - All those minor-sevenths, plus the arrangement, remind me of something by R.E.M. (I think maybe "Drive"?). Lovely.

WreckdoM - The overall atmosphere (and especially the guitar bends) make me think of COC's "Shelter". Although I love how you also threw bits of "Battle of Evermore" in there too.

Cavedwellers - Again, I really appreciate the orchestration here. The only thing that bothers me (and it's a very small complaint), the attack on the banjo picking seems a little bit too harsh sometimes. But that acoustic bass more than makes up for it. I can't quite tell if it's real or sampled, but if that's a sample, it was worth every penny of the $1200 you paid for whatever library it came from.

Sky Pup - I really enjoy this. I feel like the weird swirly pitch-shifty music that comes in as soon as the vocals begin, though, is a little too much too soon. Aside from that, the music gets increasingly more crazed and angry behind the narrator (who likewise seems to get more crazed and angry). I think that specific section of music could have been moved to nearer to the end, and the song would be perfect. I love the lyrics (except for one small thing, the extremely redundant phrase "my limitless rage knows no bounds" kind of irks me) and the ending is wonderful.

Manhattan Glutton - Brings to mind an early R.E.M. with Michael Stipe swapped out for Glen Phillips.

Merisan - Brings to mind a Neil Young cover (specifically, "Out on the Weekend" -- pretty sure it was the harmonica that did it) done by Natalie Merchant.

Carlo Bruno Jr. - The singing is sort of endearing, in a way. Musically I really like this, especially when it comes back for a "Helter Skelter" style ending.

The Tydon Docks - Tempo-wise, this seems a bit more "I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General" than waltz, but whatever. I LOL'd.

Paco del Stinko - Surprisingly, this is really the only song (out of twenty competitors) that really resembles "Sad Songs and Waltzes". Although the vocals sound way more Tom Petty than Willie. Lyrically, I love how you've made veiled references to the "Mirror, mirror, on the wall" thing without ever really saying it.

Chokehold Princess - I might be the only one who feels this way, but I find these lyrics to be hilarious. The goat sounds in the background are sort of distracting -- which I understand is sort of intentional, but I feel like the song may have been better if they were a little sparser to begin with, and then increased as it progresses, ultimately driving the listener as crazy as the narrator.

Dani House - The glockenspiel is nice and haunting, complements the quasi-eastern European feel of the music well. Far too much reverb on the vocals though, I think there is too much contrast between that and the relative 'dryness' of the ukelele and accordian parts.

Balance Lost - I like the tinkly bells, but I feel like this "indifferent indie dude" style of singing has kind of been done to death. Overall, a pretty good song, but seems longer than necessary.

Jon Eric - Really, really mellow. I don't mind the self-referential lyrics, but when it comes to referencing a songwriting competition in a song that's entered in a songwriting competition, well, that's a pretty big no-no. I understand what you're trying to accomplish with the weird preverb section, but it ends up sounding a bit off-putting. I have to wonder (considering the subject matter), were the phrases you lifted from "She's Leaving Home" intentional or subconscious? (On the other hand, after repeated listens, I think I've come to the conclusion that the part that reminds me of "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" is just my own imagination based on an implied chord that isn't even there.)

Boffo Yux Dudes - Lyrics are rather funny, but the fake accent is taken a bit too far. Backing vocals sound nice.

Inflatable Vegetables - Silly, occasionally gross lyrics. Funny, but maybe not quite funny enough? I dunno. The background vocals don't quite line up that well with the lead part. Congratulations on being the only contestant to use the "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" bassline.

Governing Dynamics - The singing isn't perfect, but there's enough conviction behind it to make it sound good regardless.

DJ Ranger Den - The singing style and piano accompaniment bring to mind a stage performer (such as Madeline Kahn's character in Blazing Saddles -- except in a serious context here; I don't mean to imply anything via association with such a satirical film). Not exactly a style that appeals to me personally, but it's rather well-done.

Ken Mahru - Dynamically this is rather flat, until you hit the bridge, by which time it might be too late to save the song. I don't mean this to sound insulting, but at certain points the singing reminds me of when Joey Lauren Adams sings in "Chasing Amy".

Frankie Big Face - I have to be honest, the electronic part of the backing track makes my ears very sad. And the fact that you so clearly call attention to the waltz section here (prefacing with "dance in different time"; counting along with part of it; etc.) just serves to highlight how much that part doesn't really naturally fit with the rest of the song. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but when you say "you got it / keep going / one more time," it feels (to me) like you're asking yourself, "how many bars of the song need to be in 3 to fulfill the challenge?"

Tubba Gutz - Cleverly-written lyrics; skillful delivery; an interesting, compelling backing track. Any of those three things might have been able to overcome the lack of the other two, and improved this song greatly. But without any of them, there really isn't anything left to grab onto.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Eric Y. wrote: Frankie Big Face - I have to be honest, the electronic part of the backing track makes my ears very sad. And the fact that you so clearly call attention to the waltz section here (prefacing with "dance in different time"; counting along with part of it; etc.) just serves to highlight how much that part doesn't really naturally fit with the rest of the song. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but when you say "you got it / keep going / one more time," it feels (to me) like you're asking yourself, "how many bars of the song need to be in 3 to fulfill the challenge?"
I try not to get defensive about reviews, but if you're going to judge the song based on what you think I'm thinking about challenge fulfillment, well....that's kind of dumb. My m.o. has always been to try to incorporate challenges in a meaningful and/or clever way and I thought I accomplished that with this tune and I think a lot of people would agree. The lyric makes sense within the context of the song and the waltz section makes sense with the lyric. It has nothing to do with you or the judging process, I can assure you.

Next time, just say "this song sucks."
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

If I may disregard the fact that it was written for a competition and the fact that there was a required challenge of "waltz" which needed to be incorporated into the song -- that is, if I may imagine for a moment that I had just randomly heard this song somewhere, completely unaware of the Nur Ein competition -- my review might have been as follows:
I have to be honest, the electronic part of the backing track makes my ears very sad. The 3/4 section feels forced, in my opinion, and it doesn't seem to naturally fit with the rest of the song. The fact that you so clearly call attention to the time signature change (prefacing it with "dance in different time"; counting along; etc.) just sort of highlights that fact. I get that the "dance in different time" line was a metaphor, which relates to the rest of the lyrics, but it just feels like overkill to reinforce your point by literally change the song's meter, and to focus so much attention to each change by throwing in various comments when they happen ("you got it / keep going / one more time").
In other words -- there were quite a few reasons why I did not appreciate this particular song; in my opinion, the waltz section sounds like it was shoehorned in there, regardless of whether it was because you wanted to incorporate that into your song or because you were required to do so.

I have a lot of respect for you as a writer and as a performer, so I feel that if I don't like something, you deserve an explanation for why I don't. However, if you're telling me my explanation is dumb, and that you'd prefer not to have any details about why I feel a certain way, that can certainly be accomodated.
Alvis
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Vox, Keys, Guitar, Cash Register
Recording Method: Digital Performer, Ardour
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes, Alvis, Ultrasaurus, Tone Def

Post by Alvis »

ValleyOfSteelstress wrote: Boffo Yux Dudes- I liked this song quite a bit... cute concept... not a huge fan of the twangy accent you have going on but over all nice use of the waltz theme and the lyrics were funny well written and cute... B+
Thanks for the kind words!
ValleyOfSteelstress wrote: The Tydon Docks - I wasn't going to do reviews but... I HAD to tell you I LOVED this song... I heard it once and all I could imagine was Rat Scabies singing along with you in the background. I love The Damned and this just fit right in the vain of : "Don't Bother Me", or "anti-pope" or one of my all time favorites "I just can't be happy today". Thank you thank you thank you for this!
"Machine Gun Etiquette" rocks!! The Damned are criminally underrated and one of my favorite groups, though you wouldn't necessarily know it by the music we generally do. If I could write or play (or dress) like Captain Sensible, I'd be a happy man; they've all got a great sense of humor while being umcompromising in their music, and damn, can Rat pound the skins!
Caravan Ray wrote: I was always a Clash and Newtown Neurotics man myself. "New Rose" is the only Damned song I recall ever hearing I think. That and a sixties cover..."Eloise"? I will have to look up the songs you referenced
Yeah, that's their big UK hit from the mid-80's, from their major-label proto-goth days (without Captain). Do yourself a favor, and check out "Damned Damned Damned", "Machine Gun Etiquette", "The Black Album" or any singles comp, really, to get the goods. Well worth it!!
ValleyOfSteelstress
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Alvis wrote:
ValleyOfSteelstress wrote: Boffo Yux Dudes- I liked this song quite a bit... cute concept... not a huge fan of the twangy accent you have going on but over all nice use of the waltz theme and the lyrics were funny well written and cute... B+
Thanks for the kind words!
ValleyOfSteelstress wrote: The Tydon Docks - I wasn't going to do reviews but... I HAD to tell you I LOVED this song... I heard it once and all I could imagine was Rat Scabies singing along with you in the background. I love The Damned and this just fit right in the vain of : "Don't Bother Me", or "anti-pope" or one of my all time favorites "I just can't be happy today". Thank you thank you thank you for this!
"Machine Gun Etiquette" rocks!! The Damned are criminally underrated and one of my favorite groups, though you wouldn't necessarily know it by the music we generally do. If I could write or play (or dress) like Captain Sensible, I'd be a happy man; they've all got a great sense of humor while being umcompromising in their music, and damn, can Rat pound the skins!
Caravan Ray wrote: I was always a Clash and Newtown Neurotics man myself. "New Rose" is the only Damned song I recall ever hearing I think. That and a sixties cover..."Eloise"? I will have to look up the songs you referenced
Yeah, that's their big UK hit from the mid-80's, from their major-label proto-goth days (without Captain). Do yourself a favor, and check out "Damned Damned Damned", "Machine Gun Etiquette", "The Black Album" or any singles comp, really, to get the goods. Well worth it!!

You're welcome for the review... I am just being honest :) I understand what you mean about not hearing the elements, but you're probably a lot like me and like a huge variety of music.
I have been obsessed for a while now with The Damned... it's the mix of humor, punk, and other awesome music elements had me hooked from the start. I am always surprised by them, and I could never quite figure out what's coming next, I just can't get enough. Smash It Up was the first song I ever heard but it's still not my favorite... I'd be hard for me to pick one but I am sure glad to find a fellow fan. I do like Bad Time For Bonzo quite a bit, and Generals man if I could only write a song that good... I would give anything! Odd thing about Rat is... for a "punk" drummer he was really great right? Eric and I were supposed to see them in concert about 4-5 years ago and it fell trough due to visa issues and it STILL depresses me... they are on my bucket list of bands.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

These are the reviews I got around to doing before wrestling with Round 2 got in the way. I really apologise to those I didn't get around to but I thought it better to post half a batch than do none.

Cavedwellers: Nice, like the strings. Good voice.

Chokehold Princess: Love the sheep noises. That sounds wrong...moving on. Sounds like Washington Phillips. Your efforts against the adversity of your situation are an inspiration. I hope to be able to tap into that in my "Annual-nur-ein-logistical-obstacle" in a few weeks.

Dani House: Danny Elfman soundtrack material. Love the use of accordion.

DJ Ranger Den: Got a real 20's cabaret feel, but creepier. Lovely piano playing. Haunting.

Frankie Big Face:
The intro really grabs you by the scruff of the neck. Probably my favourite in the fight, and I love the mathiness of the time-sig changes. I'd be worried about hardline judges getting bummed about the challenge, depends on whether they decide your approach is "inventive" or "shoehorning", I hope the former. (I have since read above conversation, ha, hmm, okay).

Governing Dynamics: Firstly, I loved you round 0 song, didn't finish reviews for that, should post 'em, just wanted to say in case I didn't get around to it. I like the sound of this. Guitars are super shiny! The song hasn't caught my attention much, but I do like the aesthetic.

Inflegetables: Recording is a bit a clippy and muddy but it's got something. The music sounds borrowed, it's all about the lyrics with this song. Funny, but not laugh-out-loud funny.

Tydon Docks:
Fucking hilarious. Love it. More C-bombs!
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Here is the order I would put ya'lls songs in if I were judge. What a shake up that'd be! We're having fun though, aren't we? we're having a goofy good time, alright! Nur Ein!

Skypup - I didn’t care for your round zero but I did understand what you were going for. This, however, is so very, very entertaining. There are all manner of fun little details scattered about the place that I love. Listen, you are not going to win this competition, so just keep having this much fun til they kick you off, cause accolades are temporary, but songs are forever. But if you need one, then let me say you out weirded all the weird acts in this fight, and that’s saying a lot considering how many weirdos are at in this line up. Come to Austin and do this live.

Jon Eric - What really makes this a stand out and a contender is the remarkably good and earnest vocal performance. It was a gutsy decision to put them out there like that and have that be the whole focus of the song, and one that can easily backfire. But you pulled it off, in fact I think the doubling detracts a bit, you had enough emotional umph on your own. The forwards echo, on the other hand, is perfect. Great, great entry.

Carlo Bruno Jr. - I was enjoying it at first but it gets plodding, as the song rolls on it fails to hold my attention. Your tones and recording method is great, excellent choice of sounds. I love, LOVE everything that happens during the last minute, it’s strange and nearly epic. If the first part of the song had been shorter and had a little more to punch it up, this would be my favorite.

Tubba Gutz - I like this, it’s not nerdcore, it’s just honest. This is one take, I gather. Great take. I know its not a popular entry, but I want to know what they didn’t like about it, really. The more I revisit this, the more I like it.

The Tydon Docks - Walking a tight rope of weirdo cool and too awkward to like, but you walk it to the end, and that is admirable. The predictable, canned drums are distracting. Everything else is the bomb. You did a good job and you punched it up in the end, you killed it.

Balance Lost - I immediately like the chimes and other sounds, great opening. Nice lyrical structure too. This is well put together without being too showboaty. Profoundly genuine vocal performance. All the goodness of the last minute really draws you in. Good stuff.

Merisan - I’m really having a hard time deciding which laid back country folksy entry I like best, or second best. The chorus is particularly nice and catchy, dig the doubled vocals. The song is very pretty and likable.

Dani House - Another outstanding arrangement. Great structure, totally on board after the accordion comes on, and the electric guitar is perfect, great intuition. I would’ve liked the vocals to be cleaner, the echoing is muddying it up in a way that keeps me from really getting engaged with them.

Frankie Big Face - I’m torn, I like the spirit of the two-three part, it’s really fun, but it’s also a groove killer. The song is really sailing along and then it just stops, and the two parts don’t really seem to complement each other. I continue to be amazed by your ability to build songs like this in 5 days. Very catchy, great production, arrangement and performance. I especially like the vocal chorus, and I really dig everything after the waltz bits.

Ross Durand - Love the guitars immediately. Awesome vocal performance, effective subject matter. At first I thought it might go for a joke, but stays grey and I dig it. This is really well put together and moving.

Manhattan Glutton - Another song I warmed up to more with repeated listens. I immediately like that guitar tone. Great vocals, their strength really carries the song. You weren’t the only one who went the relaxed country route so it’s not an immediate stand out but it’s a really well put together song.

DJ Ranger Den - Vocal performance is amazing, great keyboard chops. It doesn’t grab and hold on too much. It’d be great to see this live, but it’s not one of your more memorable tunes. Still, I like the journey.

Inflatable Vegetables - I’m glad we get at least one really fun and goofy polka. Really fun. How can I elaborate? I enjoyed it, I always like silly sound effects in a song.

Chokehold Princess - As a personal preference I don’t care for the use of “bitch” in this way, just seems mean. This song is fun and goofy and I like it, it’s a little too long.

Ken Mahru - The individual pieces are better than the whole. I guess I’m finding it a little bland. I like it more with repeated lessons, and I really like the guitar solo.

Boffo Yux Dudes - Really impressed with you guys this year. Your country vibe is great, I love the roomy sound of the drums. Guitars are great, good tone and solid performance. I hate your subject matter though. Enough already with jokes about being drunk causing you to sleep with ugly people. It’s a lazy and not very nice go to, you could do better.

Paco Del Stinko - You know I usually love your stuff, so I’m just being honest when I say I really didn’t care for this one. It’s just kind of dull and plodding. I love the guitar tone and your solo, but nothing else to really get to me, not this time anyway...

Cavedwellers - Wow! Great arrangement! That really does click together immediately. I do not have much to hold onto as the song continues, and boy does it. What happens at 3:22 is interesting, but not enough to draw me back in, there’s too much of the same thing in this song.

Governing Dynamics - I don’t know what to tell you more than I just don’t like this very much. I don’t get invested right away, which means I’m not on board when it gets to your more bold vocal decisions.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber