Nur Ein VIII Round One "Looking Glass"

There can be only one.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein VIII- Round One

Post by BenKrieger »

Chokehold Princess - As a personal preference I don’t care for the use of “bitch” in this way, just seems mean. This song is fun and goofy and I like it, it’s a little too long.
I would never call my daughter a bitch to her face, and I can't think of a reason that I would ever refer to her that way anyway. Unless she broke a looking glass and then screamed every night to sleep with a goat that subsequently walked around my bedroom chewed at my fingers and toes. In that case, sitting at a bar with friends explaining my woes with a ukelele, that's exactly what I'd say. It's true that I'm the one that promised her the goat, but she could have just listened when I said "hush, little baby, don't say a word" and NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE FUCKING HAD TO HAPPEN.

Sorry. It's not easy having a pet goat.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Here are my round one Nur Ein reviews.

Balance Lost- I like the toy-like sounds he employed. The vocals are solid. I enjoy the chorus greatly. One of the better entries in the round.

Boffo Yux Dudes- I liked the toned down humor (though I could do without the halitosis joke) and I especially liked the twist of the song ending up not just being a song about beer goggles but about a guy drinking in hopes of turning the woman in the bar into visions of his lost love. Middle of the pack/Lowest part of the top echelon.

Carlo Bruno Jr.- This song falls into the middle of the pack. I like the quirkiness of Carlo’s vocals. There’s a sixties vibe to this that I enjoy. I just wish this song had more of a hook to it to make it stand out more.

Cavedwellers- Well put together but it’s just not my cup of tea. I can appreciate what went into it and scored it accordingly. It’s just too… adult-contemporary for my tastes.

Chokehold Princess- The play on the mockingbird rhyme is interesting but the goat gimmick of this song gets tiresome very very quickly. If that was used much more sparingly, I would be willing to listen to this more often.

Dani House- I don’t think the reverb is beneficial to the sound. It just sounds like Dani is singing from the bottom of a well instead of creating the atmosphere that he desired. A good chorus would’ve done this wonders. The bridge is way too happy for this song, especially leading into a line about blood loss.

DJ Ranger Den- I like the tone of this song a lot. The vocals are a mixed bag here as they are conveying the emotion but there are some awkward note choices. Upper half of the pack this week.

Frankie Big Face- Great guitars in this one. The waltz bridge takes me out of the flow of the song. I feel like if this song was done by a real full band with multiple voices and people clapping instead of the effects, I would enjoy it more. Still the song is quite song and one of the top songs this week.

Governing Dynamics- The big notes were a risk that only paid off sometimes. Overall, a decent song and it defined the middle of my pack this week.

Inflatable Vegetables- One thing that worked against this song is the Tydon Docks song which touched upon the same concept but did it better. Another thing that just irked me was the lyrics especially the chorus which is a little too all over the place. Not one of my faves.

Jon Eric- Rule #1 of Fight Club is don’t talk about Fight Club. Rule #1 about Nur Ein…well that should be get your song in. But Rule #2 should be don’t talk about Nur Ein in your song. Such self-reflexive statements are not good and kill some of the songs longevity. The other thing that took me out of the song is the replaying the first verse behind the second. I get the idea that it’s from the other side of the mirror but it’s just awkward.

Ken Mahru- It felt like this song struggled with the waltz especially with the awkward yes after every verse. I also wasn’t wowed by this song. It was just kind of there, lost amidst the pack.

Manhattan Glutton- I think that the bridge of this song is pretty good. It was neither hit nor complete miss. It’s just kind of there. Solid but not exceptionally great or exceptionally terrible, just solid.

Merisan- Strong vocals and guitars which is the Merisan staple but the song is forgettable. It lacks a strong enough hook. It kind of meanders. Middle of the pack this week.

Paco del Stinko- Is that the opening to King of the Hill I hear? I feel like this song has got no bite to it. It needs some big change ups or something to liven it up. Perhaps a different delivery than just the sing-song rhythm? Anything to just spice this song up.

Ross Durand- I like the lyrics on this one and they have helped this song grow on me. A very good use of the challenge as the waltz doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

Sky Pup- Good concepts (especially the strangled guitar sounds) but I didn’t like the execution. When it comes to songs in the Nur Ein, a big factor for me is if I would keep the song after the competition is done and I wouldn’t keep this one.

Tubba Gutz- I enjoy the Streets style of rapping just off of the beat. Musically, there weren’t any interesting things there until almost the end. The lyrics had hints of greatness but never followed through. Missed the mark.

The Tydon Docks- I liked the song’s concept a lot. I’m not the biggest fan of the lyrics, but the delivery is very good and helps make the song work. One of my upper echelon this week.

WreckdoM- My favorite of the week by a mile. The song has a great Nick Cave vibe. I can picture the story of the song like a music video in my mind and I love when a song takes me away like that.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I can't review these. It was all a bit too boring to listen to. Too much waltzy-waltz. There were some good songs there. But too much 1-2-3. Good job Judges. Great challenge! Ha! You are now reaping what you sowed.

Only one that really stood out was Sky Pup. Good job Puppy. Big improvement on Round 0.
Mysteria
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Danni Rose

Post by Mysteria »

My apologies that I have not been more timely in submitting my reviews. We've had a few family emergencies to deal with and I have fallen behind in some things. I have been writing notes with each round and will try to finish getting caught up this week.

Please note my standard disclaimer when it comes to reviews: they are only my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions...

Balance Lost – music box like – very sweet and reminiscent of happy childhood memories

Boffo Yux Dudes – I enjoyed the concept of a twangy beer goggle song; alas, the humor was not to my taste but don’t take it personally I am frequently told I don’t know funny if it bites me

Carlo Bruno Jr – the image I kept getting as I listened to this was circus theme meets oom pah pah instrumental, the raspy vocals made it a little too difficult for me to follow and left me with an overall impression of “weird”

Cavedwellers – beautiful – simply beautiful – I really liked this – very clean

Chokehold Princess – the twangy pitch lost me; liked the concept of another side of Hush little baby but it didn’t end up working for me – there was a little too much focus on the goat (which I always found disturbing in the original as well, I mean why on earth would you buy your kid these whacked out gifts?! It’s really no wonder she’s crying – each one is scarier than the last)

Dani House – this was just eh for me – again I get an underlying “circus music” tone in a slightly creepy way – like distorted clowns from a child’s nightmare

DJ Ranger Den – the image I got here was a Broadway/cabaret style number, accordingly I was waiting for the Merman belt

Frankie Big Face – awesome – this song made my list of “high ranking” less than 10 seconds in – just plain good music

Governing Dynamics – I liked this, enjoyable piece

Inflatable Vegetables – clever parody, not my style personally, but good job

Jon Eric – another pretty piano piece – soul soothing ballad with just a hint of liveliness that keeps it from being sappy but isn’t abrasive - lovely

Ken Mahru – this ended up being just so so for me, not because it was bad but just because it didn’t necessarily stand out for me compared to some of the others

Manhattan Glutton – I like the guitar, the lyrics or the vocals not holding my attention, can’t decide which
Merisan – beautiful vocals and guitar – they just complement one another so well – gorgeous ballad – the celtic tones made me want to stepdance

Paco Del Stinko – humorous and well done

Ross Durand – this was “cats in the cradle” vibeish to me, nice

Sky Pup – the voice used was a little grating but it worked for this song and I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and story & loved the ending – nicely done!

Tubba Gutz – rap’s a little slow but nice entry – a very different take on the title & challenge

The Tydon Docks – another humorous entry, enjoying your tongue in cheek approach & the “tubba gutz”

WreckdoM – this was a little too sleepy for me compared to my preferences in some of the others this round
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I played my "Looking Glass" song tonight at an open mic for the first time.

As I was packing up to leave stage, I could here some drunks at the back of the room singing "look in the mirror you stupid old cunt" to each other. And a big, fat bloke shook my hand and thanked me for a song he said he could relate to.

I think my work here is done.