Nur Ein VIII Round Two "I Don't Want An Answer To That"

There can be only one.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: Nur Ein VIII- Round Two

Post by Ross »

frankie big face wrote:
Billy's Little Trip wrote: And it's a known fact in the past, the more CR dislikes your song, the better it ranks.
I think this is actually true!
He's in Australia, everything's upside down there.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Many listens to the fight. It's official Balance Lost has earned my top spot. The song is not without flaws, but it's such good music. It's the track I gravitate to, turn it up and listen to in its entirety repeatedly.

Merisan has an immaculate track, I expect them to win.
Wreckdom is awesome! Cheers for bringing it with immunity!
I love the Chokehold Princess track too!

Lots of other great tracks also!

Great fight everyone!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Thanks Glen! and I love how you pretend to be "objective" about my songs, what with us being musical bumchums and all.

It's the Dani House and Chokehold Princess songs I keep coming back to in this fight. Although other enduring memories will include My Little Pony, throat shitting and licking vegemite off kangaroo balls.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

My little off-the-cuff impressions based on two or three listens apiece. Standard disclaimers apply: I'm not a judge. I'm not an authority. I have very idiosyncratic tastes, and I'm not even confident about my odds of survival this round. So bear that in mind if you're considering taking anything I write too seriously. :)

Balance Lost
I'm not crazy about the singing, but the percussion is sweet, so I'm here for the whole ride. I don't think I've ever heard your rap before! Interesting. This is hookier than your usual, which is a major plus in my book. The arrangement is idiosyncratic and very fun.

Boffo Yux Dudes
I'm having a difficult time figuring out whether these are good lyrics, or if I'm just pleasantly surprised that you didn't waste a lot of effort this time around trying to be funny. Either way, this is probably the best BYD track I've heard to date. The audio fidelity and performances (especially the vocals) are really well-done. Your lyrics keep jumping around and threatening to use "Funny Enough for You," which I thought for sure was the Song Fight title you'd be most likely to use. Oh well. Good job!

Carlo Bruno Jr.
I love these background harmonies. The chord progression on the chorus is pleasantly unpredictable. The end is a little sudden; maybe could have used more of a ritardando. Keep up the good work!

Cavedwellers
You've got a great 70s prog-rock vibe going on. I love the flute and the organ. I'm less crazy about the lyrics here, but nobody's perfect (and I probably shouldn't be throwing stones from a glass house anyway… heh). The chorus has one of those misplaced emphases that happen to be one of my biggest musical pet peeves: you sang "RE-turn."

Chokehold Princess
I spent a few minutes checking the archive for a fight called "All of the Above." You get major props for such a clever lyrical conceit. It's also nice (to me, anyway) to hear you try something that isn't so self-consciously weird. This is one of my favorites this round. If I were a judge, you'd be at maybe #3 or #4.

Dani House
I liked your first two, but this one isn't doing it for me. Everyone else is comparing it to Magnetic Fields, and Merritt just isn't my cup of tea, so I might not be the target audience here. Good job evoking a vibe, though.

DJ Ranger Den
I may have to dig back through your archive for evidence to the contrary, but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite DJ Ranger Den track ever. I love that elegant piano. I love how your vocals come in at the perfect level, assured mixing. Your lyrics are just the right amount of abstruse, and the spot-harmonies are really lovely. In a weaker round, you'd be a shoe-in for immunity, but this was a really great week for almost everyone. You're still easily in my top 2 for this week.

Frankie Big Face
The first time I heard this, I didn't recognize the names as My Little Pony characters, and I was very confused. And then I read your post which pointed it out, and now I'm even more confused. Why is Frank writing a song about My Little Ponies? Is this a real issue in the MLP canon, or is Frank taking creative liberties? Does he think I already care about these characters, or is he trying to make me care about these characters? And what's up with that noodling synth-sax in my left ear? I guess maybe this just isn't for me.

Governing Dynamics
Like many of your songs, this invites favorable comaprison to Death Cab for Cutie. I love your lead guitar tone. The vocal performance is kind of weak, as though you haven't rehearsed it enough (given the constraints of this contest, that seems like a safe enough assumption, right?). If I were in the crowd for a live show of a band playing this song, I'd probably be a lot more into it than I am listening on earbuds at my desk. The "You are the heartbeat of this office for sure" seems to come out of left field, but it works. I didn't think anyone would pick that title.

Inflatable Vegetables
Your lyrics are great, but I'm afraid this recording doesn't do them justice. Something about this vibe reminds me of The Beatles, but I don't think there's any one particular song you're knocking off, so I don't know why I get that impression from you. I think a strong harmony line could pull this up from "good" to "great" territory.

Jon Eric
Well, I tried.

Ken Mahru
I'm pretty sure there's a Naked Philosophy song with this same intro. Your lyrics might be the best in this fight, but the music is surprisingly bland, like REM without the soul. If you could have managed to bring the same intensity from your "When the Time Comes" to these lyrics, it could have been a winner.

Manhattan Glutton
I like your songs when you're in snark mode. I think my favorite of yours is "Sorry to Inform You," for reference. I was giggling during the whole second verse, "Well, not quite graphite, because some of it's wood." That was great. The mix is perfect. I can see how the disaffected vocals would be offputting to some, but I think they're a good fit for this material. Great job!

Merisan
This was a strong week for most of the entrants. Many of them managed to top themselves in some entertaining ways. But Merisan brought their game to another level. This song is gorgeous. I love the four-part harmonies. I love the eggshaker and handclaps. I love the integration of past Song Fight titles. I love the subtle lead guitar line. I love the organ solo. I love the "ba-da-da" coda. There's pretty much nothing I don't love about this song. If there's any justice in the world, you'll get immunity this week. Enjoy it.

Paco del Stinko
This is a good Paco song, especially notable for the effortless weaving of so many titles through the lyrics. Not top-tier Paco, but even an average Paco del Stinko song is better than what most of us can pull off. I keep waiting for you to blow our minds, because I know you're capable of it. In this above-average round, this song is probably right around the middle of the pack.

Ross Durand
The mix/master is a little hot, especially that lead guitar. Your lyrics are interesting and well-done, but I'm not sure I agree with their premise. Some of the best songs are the ones that attempt to tackle the "unanswerable" questions. This seems like a debate with The New Radicals' "Someday We'll Know," and you're not on the winning side of the argument. Anyway, the instrumentation and performance here are all pretty flawless, which is why my whole review is nitpicking your lyrics. Also, what was up with that surprise jab at Tim Tebow? Take that, Tebow!

Sky Pup
I've said "Spinal Tap" about a hundred times in talking about this song already, right? It's very Spinal Tap. I wish you had some better way to differentiate the characters in your song. The "PLEEEEZE inSERT your FINGER" voice is grating. I wish I could figure out why your guitars sounds like they were recorded inside a coffin… Oh, and your use of the titles was just dreadful. Your story is weird and original, and that just might be enough to keep you alive till next round. Keep your fingers crossed!

The Tydon Docks
This is a pretty standard Caravan Ray song. It's pretty good, but I get the impression that you could do this kind of thing in your sleep. I'd love to see you step out of your comfort zone a little and try something new.

Tubba Gutz
You've got some really awkward scansion, emphasizing the wrong syllables in a word or the wrong word in a sentence. "Things would BE handED to ME" is probably the most glaring example. I like the line "I'm not Bruno Mars, I'm not even Pauly Shore." If you used a Song Fight title, I missed it. Never mind, "Block City." Ignore my idiocy and carry on.

WreckdoM
By far the most creative interpretation of the challenge. This is one of your most fun songs ever, and I've had it stuck in my head most of today. It's like the theme song to some gonzo bizarre children's television show. I smiled at the repetition of "Bear doesn't wear a shirt." The only thing that bugs me about this song is the line "Pimpmobile! Daffodil!" You could have stuck a couple of other titles in that line!

I don't want to rank the whole fight like a judge, but my top four are Merisan, DJ Ranger Den, Chokehold Princess, and Manhattan Glutton, in that order. Virtually anyone could wind up in the bottom four and I wouldn't be surprised.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

BenKrieger wrote:"we would sit on your chest and shit down your throat."

Of all the threats that I've heard over the years, the shit-down-your-throat variety has always been the one that I'd be curious to see move past hot air and get a follow-through. Sadly, Aussies in particular are consistently disappointing in this regard.
Actually - I must offer my most profound and sincere apology here. It appears my iPod was playing tricks on me last night and I was listening to your song from the previous round - not having heard it last week because I got sick of all the waltzes and gave up.

Anyway - it was your waltz about the goat that was throat shittingly bad. This weeks wasn't that bad at all. But is was very sloppy sounding - which I found a bit annoying.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Generic wrote: Ken Mahru
I'm pretty sure there's a Naked Philosophy song with this same intro. Your lyrics might be the best in this fight, but the music is surprisingly bland, like REM without the soul. If you could have managed to bring the same intensity from your "When the Time Comes" to these lyrics, it could have been a winner.
Well, at least I achieved what I was going for (REM-ish). I think the lack of energy is because I came down with a cold on Friday and was still pretty low energy and congested over the weekend when I finally was able to track this song. We'll see what the judges think.

Thanks for all the reviews!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Generic wrote: Ross Durand
The mix/master is a little hot, especially that lead guitar. Your lyrics are interesting and well-done, but I'm not sure I agree with their premise. Some of the best songs are the ones that attempt to tackle the "unanswerable" questions. This seems like a debate with The New Radicals' "Someday We'll Know," and you're not on the winning side of the argument. Anyway, the instrumentation and performance here are all pretty flawless, which is why my whole review is nitpicking your lyrics. Also, what was up with that surprise jab at Tim Tebow? Take that, Tebow!
Well, have never heard that New Radicals song, so I can hardly be debating it. But this song is not about whether to tackle the big questions - there is no "premise." This song is from the point of view of a heartbroken protagonist who doesn't want to be thinking about big questions because it may cause him to reflect on where his relationship went wrong, and he is rationalizing by saying these questions are not worth answering as a general category.

The Tebo thing was just an attempt at humor - it's been in the press and it seems to be bandied about like one of the "big questions."

I wish I could have had more time to work with the lyrics, but I pretty much had to finish the whole thing in the first 24 hours.

Thanks for the review - I'll work on the mixing.

Nur Ein!!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Submitting as: Sky Pup

Post by skypup »

Generic wrote:I wish I could figure out why your guitars sounds like they were recorded inside a coffin
My recording setup at the moment is guitar into Boss GT-6 (multi effects pedal) into MBox interface. I used a preset on the GT-6 called '7-string octave bass'. I'd say that is the reason it sounds like it was recorded in a coffin. In future, I may actually record in a coffin to get the same effect because metal.
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

In future, I may actually record in a coffin to get the same effect because metal.
Yes. That is rowdy. When in doubt metal, coffin or not.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Ross wrote: Well, have never heard that New Radicals song, so I can hardly be debating it.
Well, here it is. I recommend it.

I didn't think you were literally trying to respond to the song. I just thought it was an interesting comparison; like these two songs were two sides of the same argument.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Jon said:
The chorus has one of those misplaced emphases that happen to be one of my biggest musical pet peeves: you sang "RE-turn."
Thanks for the review. Good catch! I didn't notice it. I'm surprised my bandmate Lee didn't notice it either. We usually have the same peeves about awkward stresses. I wrote that part of the melody. You sir have touched upon what my wife would call "you can take the boy out of Utah, but you can't take the Utah out of the boy". That's how Utahns pronounce "RE turn". Other giveaways are "TRAYsure" (treasure), and "Bolth" (both). I try to be aware of it, and speak like a Los Angeles anchorman, but sometimes the Utah slips out.

ummmmm

NUR EIN !!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Congrats Manhattan Glutton!

Merisan, always the bridesmaid...
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by skypup »

Congratulations Manhattan Glutton! Your song was excellent and you totally deserve the win. It was my favourite of the songs that didn't have immunity.

Well, this has been a lot of fun!

I want to say a big thank you to everyone. I'm a total noob here but everyone made me feel more than welcome. I really appreciate all the reviews. It is a big help to know what people like and don't like about a song. The feedback on my Looking Glass especially was a big confidence boost. There was a lot wrong with it but I love knowing that people heard something right about it too.

I've still got a lot of awful songs in me but I'm gonna keep at it until good songs start seeping out amongst the awful ones. I'm going to enter some song fights too. This is a fucking awesome community. I'm getting married in 3 months so don't expect too many entries in the next few months, but mark my words: I am a song fighter now.

Now to see what the survivors can make of ALL HAIL THE SNAKE. I want to see some epic Soundgarden-like shit with wailing mums please.

NUR EIN!!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I guess this isn't my year. Good luck to the rest of you.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I really thought Merisan had that one. MG, your song was awesome, too, so congratulations!

I'll be back next year, I'm sure.

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

skypup wrote:I am a song fighter now.
Then allow me to welcome you properly. Welcome to Songfight, Please be awesome.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I have reviews, but I don't want to come off as a big ol' jerk sayin' critical things after winning. I agree and disagree with some of the rankings, and I was super lucky to pull out ahead of the power duo. It's sad to see see four of you go. Nur Ein continues.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

I am sorry that I have not been very communicative during this Nur Ein. It takes me a long time to write how I feel, particularly these days. These were written over the course of the week - and edited a final time after we got results. I'll be brushing up my other rounds of reviews and putting them out as well. You will just have to be patient with me. I go slow.

And GAH! They're SO LONG!!!

BALANCE LOST
I like the drums and the vocals are ... twitchy but it sounds so .. commerical. Everything starts to really fit together - odd start into quite a little choo-choo train. Individual elements that range from akward to cute to snappy-cool coalesce very nicely in a good mix; presenting a nice overall package. Ends abruptly which fits with the vibe. I don't latch onto the lyrics much, but I like the sing-song nature of the thing. A style that pulls me back in time which is nice; feeling good over my coffee and making me happy.

BOFFO YUX DUDES
A differently angled direction for you, yet still utilizing your harmonic coccoon - that BYD wall of fun. It gets uppity and in your face here though, rather than giving you that nice loungy hug. It gives the stretch you make toward the vocal range some some effective meatiness. The song is just the right length, with a tough-kid rebelliousness and passive-aggressive anger that is cleverly understated not in the lyrics so much; but curiously in the guitar tone. An earnest and serious direction that fits in well with your funnier side.

CARLO BRUNO, JR.
I think your non-English-speaking situation is a strength in your lyric writing; getting to the point without clutter. You choose words that communicate concepts well. The lyrics also sit in well-chosen chord changes - interesting progressions do more to feature your words than anything else you've done.
At times, your vocal gets a little scream-y and it COULD BE making things sound a bit sloppy. Maybe it's just passionate. But when rough edges poke out in a consistently mixed style, the tone comes across as honest rather than amateur. It's a really personal choice at that point, though some might disagree.

CAVEDWELLERS
There are a lot of intellectual treasures here and things even get busy - making it a bit of a well constructed sonic circus - much to see, but where to look! This is structured far differently than I do things - with sharp turns and corners in unfamiliar city blocks. I must commend you on the placement of the "switcheroo" hook and usage of pause in the lyrics that follow. You sunk it in one putt and brought the whole song together with that one device, making the song accessible AND cool. It gave you a stage space to really shine the talent you obviously have for performance and songwriting - inviting listeners with different ears than your own to take a spin on your very different carnival ride.

CHOKEHOLD PRINCESS
I can tell you that after a reading your lyrics were my favorite. They just felt tender and important. Also, I like lists a lot and this was a creative way to implement them. I like swelly solo parts too, but they are a bit of a risk. I'm FOR that though. You did that quite right. This was precisely the correct length, whatever that means - and I am gone over the NICE FAT NOTE that took forever to fade. The sort of song all girls wish a boy would write about them. All girls who are gooshy-girls, at any rate. Well done and romantic.

DANI HOUSE
This opens up like an exciting beautiful carnival, having a vacation paradise flair. At times I feel almost underwater looking at fish and am not paying attention to your lyrics in the least. I went looking for them and I do not see you in the lyrics archive. Perhaps I am missing something. The singing was a little tuna-fishy fluctuating to me, so splitting up the range was a good idea. Perhaps shakiness is the effect you are going for - it could have been. That last note shakes about and it's not a vocal. The sythy horn bits sound like a party and you are definately awash with ambiance.
(I'm sorry to see you go ... this was real interesting.)

DJ RANGER DEN
I wrote this showing little concern for critique, for once not trying to preempt imaginary reviews in my mind. I'm glad I wrote this way. This is a song I've needed to write for quite sometime. Review Fear usually only ends up being counter productive and results in block for me; and I write the song at the last minute anyway because this fear acts as a fight against my own strong style. It's odd, because few reviews actually bother me - it's like worrying that the flu shot is going to kill us and be Excruciating.
Anyway, as pleased as I am that I am not eliminated - the song got written either way, and I cared about it which feels really nice.

FRANKIE BIG FACE
This was cute. Or maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was scathing social commentary or contest commentary draped in magical friendship tied up in a "oh... what? who me... this was SO last minute" kind of bow. With a waltz thrown in. It's hard to accuse you of anything. You're immaculate. You make people feel things and *I* think you sound like no one but yourself. You make me sigh and scratch my head and you've been just indescribable (once again) in this contest, but I'm a fan and you can't take that away with any Songwriting Behavior or Shennanigans of Any Kind (real or imagined).
Not even from my cold, dead hands. :)

GOVERNING DYNAMICS
You have young, sarcastic, angry, and beatuiful, and remote down to a science. Sometimes I wonder if eq-ing your vocal differently would give it the sophistication needed to exactly match your guitars. I'm not an authority on this in the least. I also hesitate to tell a song what it "needs." Maybe it needs you to do what you did. I often think that your songs glow like neon signs at night - and some have soft lights and some are more pulsy orange/reddish. Also, I don't know if I've said this in reviews for you in other contests but I think that you are a writer-electronics-guitar player and if you have something to say you will make a verse's syllables conform to your needs and damn the catchiness of the thing. You shape a phrase, but you are going for feel and message I think. I can appreciate this ethic because it's the big question isn't it; and not about any contest - but about why we even do this. Do we write for a "them" or for a "you?" I probably weigh on your side of the fence with this one and I liked your song but you know that already.

INFLATABLE VEGETABLES
This feels like a story that goes on and has a lot of words. You are getting the unfortunate bitterness of a couple of years of "your song is meandery and has too many lyrics, D" reviews directed at me ... so when I hear a song doing a thing that Natural Me thinks is perfectly lovely and creative, I get out my New Red Pen. In actually, I like the arm-swingy feel and the vocals sound like the soothing college rock I loved to hear whilst skipping classes. I feel warmly toward it because it's the sort of melody and hooks that I used to write with my old songwriting partner that I had in the 90s so it resonates with me. Guitar grates on me a bit. You could be getting the back end of a headache. It's nice, okay? :)

JON ERIC
This is the type of track that I associate with how you sounded when I was first coming around. With high soaring earnestness and boyish romanticism and flashy licks. It's nice to hear someone who doesn't play a thing like me and that does it with versatility. Your voice goes a little too sweetly out of control, which is unfortunate - because if a woman did this or if you did this with different instrumentation or some other production or instrumentation decisions ... it could work. You are a really strong singer with smart lyrics. You certainly do not sound like anyone else. And THAT, I'm starting to notice more and more, is rarer than we might think.
(I'm also sad to see you go too. But you know that already. #illegalsmily)

KEN MAHRU
This continues my journey into Me liking Your Voice. It's kind of a simple song, but it's really pretty. It's really a nice melody with a well arched harmony. I wish that you weren't rhyming "ah ah ah" sounds so much, and I started wondering after a while if the mood of the lyrics was fitting with the way you were singing them. {edit: I read up and see you had a cold! That affects things..well, you sounded nice anyhow). I decided it was nice that it flowed in a relaxed easy way, but couldn't gauge your mood. The bridge could have gone somewhere less related to the progressions in the rest of the song ... but in a way it was also good for continuity. This is a good playlist song; just real pleasant.
(It's a shame to see you go. It was close and could have been me, looks like. I'm glad it wasn't, I really loved my song - but either way I was happy with it and I liked things about all the songs here ... this includes yours. Also I wanted to smily at you, but the boards will not Let me.)

MANHATTAN GLUTTON
This was wonderful and made me feel guilty because there is no one upon the earth as sarcastic as you. Perhaps this is hyperbole, but it works for you in this case and the whole thing is really creative. I wrote this after you won and I didn't expect a win for you, just a nice high placement. I think you're underrated a lot but you can get cantankerous. You know how to deliver the smack. This time, you are using your powers of evil for good - which is also so very much like you.
Also, you can write the hell out of a hook and make a whole production sound good. Was rather jealous of your ability to make the improv fit well, even akward bits of it that were stretching out to fit bits of music or rhythm. I realize that this too was production related and I would actually be really interested to see what you might do with this in a live performance (hint, hint. smily smily.).

PACO DEL STINKO
Chords going into unexpected places and the best tones in the galaxy that are my favorite ones here. Signiture vocal very well sung actually - could have used more harmonies in places, but maybe that would have been the expected thing to do. Lots of titles and creative uses of them to tell a Paco-liciously freaky story. I am never sure where you're going to end up in a situation like this because this seems like one of your formulas ... you are one of these folks who's made a billion songs and how will this stand out from all the other zillions of shreddingly awesome things? Like an international spy at a Grateful Dead concert. groovy and sneaky. Yes - I dug the 00-Stinko ending. License to Rock.

ROSS DURAND
I read the lyrics to this and they were both funny and sad. This strikes me as a very Ross thing to accomplish. It's amazing that you are still Ross-ing it up and I never get sick of it. This was your Rock Ross and it fit the theme well. At times it was a little unpolished and any thing that could be nitpicky about your vocals I think just fades away for me because the line I remember from the whole round was the line about "did she smell like jasmine on the couch." I got that shivvery feeling when you are feeling sorry for a man on the edge. Intense!

MERISAN
Merisan, you have outdone yourselves. Well, actually, I may as well just go ahead and say that you most likely have just done what you do. This could be your norm.
I'm glad that this was such a good round because it's nice to have a flagship number like this on it. I really don't feel like picking this apart. It's that question, how produced do you want it. It's butter smooth and it sounds good this way. Almost TOO good. But if you've heard it live you know it's not a trick.

SKY PUP
Oh Sky .... I really like this. It's so damn weird. I love doing low and high voices and weird little changes. I hope that this doesn't bite you in the butt because you don't make pleasing sounds and take risks that make ugliness. It seems like that's been not well rewarded at times here. I think that the screechiness lent itself well to your subject and I love songs that tell a story. I would have liked more instruments and even more weird things popping in and out of it and more consistent stuff - like a band behind it. Hell, I'd get BatP to do it up all weird if they'd go for it. I think it's funny, my kind of thing.
(oh damn! I'm sorry to see you go! I'm glad you're going to stay and do some fighting :) this was great. I'll try to get those other rounds reviews up, particularly the one with Adam Adamant).

TYDON DOCKS
This is quick and catchy and works with your accent. It sounds like a protest the youth song written to a beer commercial-type-thingy. I like it because it is hooky and has that little half ass drum fill. That was really endearing to me for some reason. And you can layer a mix even if it's silly and surfy. It'd be interesting to see if this worked with a different accent. I started singing along. In YOUR accent. You would have been appalled. Sorry your review is short, I was shaking my ass.

TUBBA GUTZ
I read these lyrics and resounded to them. They are earnest and it's good to hear a personal story. I want drums to come in, and the instruments kind of clash against one another. The register change is unnecessary. But your voice is nice. The song doesn't go on for too long. I hope that the personal story and the simplicity of your production doesn't hurt you because I liked to hear an Outpouring. I did that too and I feel it's brave.
(I wrote this before results. You were fine).

WRECKDOM
This was really super creative and reminded me of a band I sat in with in college called Speed Queens. They were feisty and shouty and random and fun. This was random and fun and I haven't been a close follower of WreckdoM yet (laugh. it's still funny to me.), but I'm not familiar enough with the band to have gotten to hear WreckdoMelle as much and she's got a great voice and you blend well together into beauty and fun. You can do serious and silly, you've shown. Good musicianship all around as well. Thanks for the gift during your immunity!

I will try to get the other rounds shortened and posted. At some point. We'll have to see. I know I am very conversational. I hope everyone is not bored to tears.
It's possible I forgot someone. I edited these down from EVEN LONGER (ACK!) If I forgot you it was probably during a smily sweep or something. Just let me know and I'll get it back in there.
NUR EIN!!!
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
skypup
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by skypup »

My internet is being a poo so I'm going to have to do reviews mostly from memory. Which means I'll only be able to review the ones that really stick out in my memory. I really enjoyed all of the songs this round. Some really great stuff. But the ones that stood out most for me were:

Balance Lost - The percussion at the beginning sounds great. Actually, each new thing added after that sounds great - guitar, vocals, bass. I love the rhythm of the vocals and the music seems to lift up for the chorus. Cool whimsical little solo thing. Nice.

Boffo Yux Dudes - I do think you are clever and funny. Sorry, did you not want an answer to that? This is a fun song.

Carlo Bruno Jr. - I'm a fan. Loving the music you have been making for this comp. It is lovable, slightly odd and perfect in it's own way.

Cavedwellers - Love the flute. Turned this into something really epic and exotic. All of your songs have been really impressive. There is so much to them, and it is all pretty amazing. Love it. I've tried to avoid the avoid comparison but I'm going to have to say it: It sounds like Jethro Tull. I think that is pretty badass.

DJ Ranger Den - I find your songs really interesting. I like it when a song has more to offer after the first few listens and I think this song does. There are nuances that take a few listens to sink in. And it is lovely. Thanks.

Frankie Big Face - This is light-hearted and fun. There was some interesting stuff going on in the background towards the end of the song that I really liked.

Governing Dynamics - I think it is hilarious how every review I have seen of your songs so far have been comparing you to some late 90s / early 2000s indie band. And every time it is a different band. All of them awesome. Because this music is awesome. And really well done. Love your stuff dude.

Manhattan Glutton - This song kicks arse. I love it. Great rock. Fucking awesome chorus. One of my favourites this round. I want to dance to this in a big, sweaty moshpit at some festival one day.

Paco Del Stinko - Yeeeeah! This song is great. Love the guitar.

Ross Durand - Sweet solo man!

Tubba Gutz - The song is great but it didn't seem like a Tubba Gutz song to me. You know, based on a narrow, preconcieved notion of what is and isn't a Tub song based on listening to a handful of songs. I wanted a big, arrogant rap. Maybe even a fuck you to the judges for ranking you last twice in a row. You didn't go out in a blaze of glory. But at least we got a good song.

Tydon Docks - Bratty, punky, aussie fun! Awesome!

WreckdoM - FUCK YEAH! This is my new favourite song. Love it, guys.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Congrats to the Man Glut! Sorry to the others, but DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE FINAL WINNER!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

RangerDenni wrote: FRANKIE BIG FACE
This was cute. Or maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was scathing social commentary or contest commentary draped in magical friendship tied up in a "oh... what? who me... this was SO last minute" kind of bow. With a waltz thrown in. It's hard to accuse you of anything. You're immaculate. You make people feel things and *I* think you sound like no one but yourself. You make me sigh and scratch my head and you've been just indescribable (once again) in this contest, but I'm a fan and you can't take that away with any Songwriting Behavior or Shennanigans of Any Kind (real or imagined).
Not even from my cold, dead hands. :)
Wow!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

RangerDenni wrote:The sort of song all girls wish a boy would write about them. All girls who are gooshy-girls, at any rate. Well done and romantic.
Thanks for the kind words, Rander Denni! My daughter gets a lot of songs written about her. This one was inspired by all the questions she's been asking about death and what happens to her/me/mom/etc. Although I'm not sure if the "she" in the song is for her or Death. Both? :?