Nur Ein IX Round Four "The New Ugly"

There can be only one.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein! IX Round 4

Post by Caravan Ray »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Manhattan Glutton wrote:Well played, Paco. You're just testing to see whether people listen to your songs, right?
He should have put in a line about how you used a bass synth in a "percussion only" fight.
I know you're just trolling me, but here's a visual for anyone in doubt. I would never have picked bass that sounds like that.
fakebass.png
You don't need to convince me - just the judges.

But it doesn't sound the same as banging a camel toe like Ken was doing.

...goat toe...whatever
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

For some reason, I get a 404 error when I click on krautkitten's entry. Is anyone else having that problem? Is there a mirror somewhere?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

The problem seems to be that I named my mp3 with "nu" at the end instead of "tnu," and Niveous missed that when prepping. The song is actually there if I alter the link to the way I named the file:

http://niveousrayside.com/tnu/krautkitten_nu.mp3
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Thanks, that worked! :mrgreen:

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Ross wrote:...
Merisan -
...In Nur Ein VIII, Merisan again rose to the top of the pack, winning round five and coming in fifth behind current judge Carlo Bruno, Paco, current fourth round competitor Cavedwellers, and Manahattan Glutton.
We came in fourth: http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 18#p183518
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

I fixed it, sorry. - You were listed fifth in the table here

http://sfbase.net/wiki/Nur_Ein_VIII
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

After listening to all the songs, I would like to compliment Paco Del Stinko (hilarious!) and Chocolate Chips (you've got a beautiful voice) especially. :)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
noma wrote:
glennny wrote:Who is Nick Soma? Voice sounds familiar.
Who the hell am I? Well, just plain ol' me ;)
Yeah..but who ARE you

BTW - from a quick listen this arvo - I would rate you winner next round.
Go Noma.
Look's like the judges have gotten something right
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Congratulations to Nick for a well deserved win and a perfect score! (Has that ever happened before?)

Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Congrats & farewells, y’all. It’s been fun playing! Good luck to the survivors! Nur Ein!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Generic wrote:Congratulations to Nick for a well deserved win and a perfect score! (Has that ever happened before?)
Yes, first time was Merisan, "The Thing Most Easily Forgotten", Round Five of Nur Ein II:

http://sfbase.net/wiki/The_Thing_Most_E ... ur_Ein_II)

I think it's happened one or two times since then, but the other times don't come to my mind as quickly. :P

EDIT: OK, bgm unanimously won Round Zero of Nur Ein VII, "Breaking the Ice":

http://sfbase.net/wiki/Breaking_the_Ice_(Nur_Ein_VII)
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Who the hell is Niock Soma, indeed! Congrats. And who the hell am I to sneak through? Guess I'd better get busy. :o
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

We all have a million things more important to do than this contest, so I completely understand. For the record, though, writing these songs is way less fun without judge feedback. Otherwise it's like American Idol without comments from the judges. The comments are the best part.

Remember Round 4 last year when people nearly came to blows on the board?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

BenKrieger wrote: Remember Round 4 last year when people nearly came to blows on the board?
Oi...you...Ben Krieger - did you just spill my pint?
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

Funny enough, if you replace the dash, you get this year's theme... "Nur Ein IX: Titles, Songs and Results (No Comments)"

Sorry, I had to do that, it was too tempting... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

Caravan Ray wrote:Oi...you...Ben Krieger - did you just spill my pint?
Fuck yeah I spilled your pint.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

BenKrieger wrote:We all have a million things more important to do than this contest, so I completely understand. For the record, though, writing these songs is way less fun without judge feedback. Otherwise it's like American Idol without comments from the judges. The comments are the best part.

Oh, you'll be getting judge feedback (from me at least) tomorrow and lots of it. I know that I've been a little quieter than usual this year and there was some intent to that. But tomorrow, I'll open the flood gates.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Niveous is going to spill everyone's pints
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

That I made it this far by making music I personally enjoy and am not embarrassed to share outside the community is reward enough. It's been challenging and fun, and now it's time for me to resume my normal life. Good luck to the remaining contestants!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Niveous wrote:
BenKrieger wrote:We all have a million things more important to do than this contest, so I completely understand. For the record, though, writing these songs is way less fun without judge feedback. Otherwise it's like American Idol without comments from the judges. The comments are the best part.

Oh, you'll be getting judge feedback (from me at least) tomorrow and lots of it. I know that I've been a little quieter than usual this year and there was some intent to that. But tomorrow, I'll open the flood gates.
I've tried to be especially conscientious about being prompt with my reviews this year. But this week's feedback from me will be about a day late. By this point, we're down to mostly the experts who know what they're doing, which means that feedback is going to be more nitpicky and high-level, which takes a little longer to figure out in my head and write down.

I will say that, of the four people eliminated this week, up to three of them were at least in part due to the challenge. Some of you guys picked the wrong week to toe the line and/or push the boundaries. :( I didn't outright hate any of the songs this week, so the challenge was especially important for framing the rankings. I will say that this was one of the easiest choices ever for a #1 pick. I'm not at all surprised to see Nick win this week, though I'm mildly surprised that it was unanimous. Everything but my #1 spot was up for debate and got rearranged a few times before I could finalize it.

chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

Out in Round 4 just like last time (Nur Ein VII) but my songs did quite a bit better this time around (especially Rounds 2 & 3) so I'll chalk it up as an improvement. I had a good time doing this and plan on taking part again next time. But I do have to agree with Ben that I do miss the feedback/reviews from the judges that I remember getting last time around.

My favorite entry this week was by Ross Durand - good stuff !

I'm curious as to who Jon thinks was penalized for not meeting the challenge properly? Maybe I didn't catch something but I thought all of the songs did so.
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

Balance Lost: The song suffers arrhythmia and vocal anorexia. Because It, has fallen to me. The challenge, half achieved.

Cavedwellers: Thanks for the translation, but next time do not invite the translator drink wine before passing the text. It has been useful in any case. Musically: I have not understood anything, it seemed to me a strange mixture of ideas, some better than others, but without much sense coupled. The challenge, half passed.

Chocolate Chips: As always, it's a great song. In this case the use of Melodyne has confessed seemed rather abuse. Challenge: Using voice samples on harmonics purposes has become instruments. That has rated lower.

Ken Marhu: Challenge well resolved. A few good ideas put together with skill. Some parts might not have been, like some repetitions.

Kraut Kitten: Challenge met. Piece very well built and served at the right dose.

Manhattan Glutton: Not meet the challenge. I do not mind the origin of the sample, the wave or whatever, you are using a tool that emulates a bass. It is painful, because the song is good. The sound is very good, as always.

Nick M. Soma: Thanks for letting us this great song. Challenge well resolved.

Paco del Stinko: Elegantly overcomes the challenge. All right, properly packaged to Stinko style with its imperfections, but a good song.

Rabid Garfunkel: I hear instruments (whether vocal samples), challenge unsurpassed. The song has bored me.

Ross Durand: Thanks for your translation. Your translator is better than the Cavedweller's one. The Challenge well resolved. The song works well, but ultimately many glass noises have me a little dizzy.

The Tydon Docks: (First of all thanks for the Portuguese translation of one of your past posts) The song I found fabulous, although the 1:11 time left me a little sick. Challenge ok.