Nur Ein IX Round Six "Videoland"

There can be only one.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Re: Nur Ein IX - Round Six

Post by chocolatechips »

congratulations to Caravan Ray/Tydon Docks & Merisan ! I can imagine this was a tough round to judge as all of the songs had some cool stuff going on, so it's no surprise it was so close (although I am a bit surprised Ken didn't make it to the finals)

and doh... I just realized I may not get to vote in the final round (there's only 2 days for voting right?) because I'm not going to be home Monday or Tuesday.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

So judges, now that there are only five from this round, how about some reviews just for kicks?
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

BenKrieger wrote:So judges, now that there are only five from this round, how about some reviews just for kicks?
Mine are at the bottom of page 5. http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 88#p188257

If you normally find threads by clicking on the "last post" button, items from right above the page break can be easy to miss. One of the legacy bug/feature aspects of PHPBB, unfortunately.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

("//translate.google.es/" and I we wrote these reviews yesterday, before we know the final results of this round)

Ken Marhu: This time you've rounded a good song. There have been no monotonous parts, the acoustic guitars are in their exact location and both the sample as false string arrangements fit perfectly in the song. The song made ​​me think several times about Teenage Fanclub (I'm a big fan of these Scottish guys), who have changed their electric guitars by a string section and a pair of acoustic guitars. Congratulations. One of the songs that I will include in my antology LP Nur Ein IX.

Kraut Kitten: Sadly you brought the weak of the week. It's the feeling I have since the first listen. After several listens I think is because drums: the volume would not be a problem if they had been touched (or retouched) more accurately, especially the last snare hit at the end of measure (syncopated). Sounds too close to the next downbeat, also sounds at the same volume of the snare on beats 2 and 4. I guess it should be a ghost note, phantom punch or perhaps directly, not be. That hit brings a lot to unbalance the rhythm of the song. and has a lot of guilt that the drums are perceived with excessive volume. I think the "disengaged thing" feeling transmitted by the remaining parts comes entirely from that drums problem. The song, on the other hand, has not killed me.

Merisan: The most adorable song for me out of all your entries. All I can find in the verse is beauty. What saddens me a bit is that both the harmony and the vocal line are too indebted to the chosen sample, which is a breathtakingly beautiful passage (well, I'm also a fan of Debussy. If I had competed, Debussy also have been one of my options. Now I think of "Arabesque No. 1"). Hooray for the beauty anyway. The bridge to the chorus is brilliant. But the first part of the chorus has seemed a little looser than the places they came from. It would have been nice to embed some of that dark suggesting feel from delicate harmony of verse. The drumwork is fabulous. Lots of respect to his creator. I really like that never falls in excess and also saw the song perfectly. Actually this is a constant in your entries. I do not care if drums are programmed or human played. What I am especially appreciating is the nature of the arrangements. 10 out of 10 in this section. Finally, what this song has achieved is to prove to me that in Merisanland there is a place (out of his confort zone) where exists the soil and seed to grow gigantic and majestic pop songs, as sequoias are. I speak from what I know of you, just from your entries in the past and in this Nur Ein. I feel that there is a potential to create monuments to pop as those achieved by ABBA, e.g.. I see it, I swear. I would love to be right.

Ross Durand: Good job, Ross. I told you last week, I'm moving into your world. I see clearly what you usually think (lyrics), and guess what patterns you fit under your voice in your music, also understand that you know perfectly what your comfort zones are and you like the risk involved in the escape from them, always knowing that will emerge inevitably your specific "American Genome". Have technical resources to do virtually anything you want. On 5/4: for me is fine, but use it for the whole piece just getting tired a little ( I would have alternated with somewhere to 4/4, to unbreak my hips, mostly).

The Tydon Docks: The penis returns to take control. As usual. Again, bright mode. In my opinion it is the best interpretation of the challenge. Everything about it has been in the service of the song, at no time the opposite occurs. Fits well the sample, also fit well the choral parts, the "Hallelujah" could not be more opportune. The song is well built, it has no flaws and the story is as dirty enough to love her. Congratulations.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

That'd be bloody right. First time I ever win a round - and I don't get immunity for next week.

I just woke up Thursday morning and got quite a shock. I have been planning my weekend - and writing a song wasn't going to be part of it. Oh well...

As with last round - I feel slightly embarrassed by moving forward. I think Ken, like Paco last week deserve to feel slightly cheated. Though on the other hand, this must be the best group of 5 judges ever!! Having said that though - I did like my entry this week, and did personally think it was up there. As Carlo and Jon noted - the sample was integral to the song - and I was quite pleased with that. I'm glad the judges generally agreed.

I better start getting to work...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

BenKrieger wrote:And there it is! Two finalists with *very* different approaches.
Yep - and therein lies my only chance I think.

I am guessing that Merisan may be as pleased as I am with the choice of opponent. There are very few overlaps in our styles, so we both have an unrestricted space to work in.

If I was against Ben or Ken - there would be a danger of me coming up with a song with a similar feel - and looking bad by comparison. Taking novelty songs and sixties-style pop out of my quiver would not leave me with much And with Ross - I would have to steer clear of any politically tinged guy-tar - which would restrict me a bit too. But sophisticated pop songs with beautiful vocals? - no, I won't be going that direction.

So now - the mind games begin.
What did Ross say about Merisan? ...former finalist, four time semi-finalists...but never won. Sort of like the Greg Norman's of Nur Ein. Can anyone else hear a faint choking sound coming from California?
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

the game changes. You now have 29 judges.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

carlo bruno jr wrote:After several listens I think is because drums
Yep. I chose not to re-tweak this one and suffer the consequences. It cost me!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

Generic wrote:I might as well admit, this was the one I didn't recognize the sample(s) from...So let's see, it's Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, sample/solo, bridge, coda. Something is just structurally out of joint there, making these disparate parts sound unsatisfyingly incomplete to me. Maybe if it had circled back to one more verse or chorus? Or maybe if the sample/solo had happened earlier? I don't know, I enjoyed this a lot, and found it more rewarding on subsequent listens, but I can't help but wonder whether some less risky structural decisions might have pushed this over the top.
These are both pieces that I highly recommend. The Schubert might be his most famous song-cycle, and the Mahler symphony is considered his best by many.

I sat down in the studio Sunday afternoon with two verses roughly sketched out, and a chorus, with no plans for harmonies. No bridge or coda. I made those up as I went alongand they still feel a it undercooked to me. I made a choice to submit and go to bed early on this one, knowing full well the risk at this point in the competition. Ah well. :shock:
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

BenKrieger wrote: I sat down in the studio Sunday afternoon with two verses roughly sketched out, and a chorus, with no plans for harmonies. No bridge or coda. I made those up as I went alongand they still feel a it undercooked to me. I made a choice to submit and go to bed early on this one, knowing full well the risk at this point in the competition. Ah well. :shock:
The harmonies work really well, in my opinion. I highly recommend you revise this one and share the finished version later.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Thanks for the review JonEric, i was happy to ehar that some of the things I was trying to do got across to you.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote: You've really upped your game this year, arguably more than anyone else in this competition (with the possible exception of Rabid Garfunkel).
Thanks for the kind words Jon. And I must second your comments on Rabs. RG's stuff was great this year - he could have easily gone a lot further. Well done Mr Garfunkel.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Uh... huh-what? Well, gee, thanks :-) I'm flattered, y'all. :D
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day