JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Nur Ein IX - Round Six

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote:Ooh...here's a question!

I just searched "Classical" on my iTunes library - and up came Yo To Ma and Bobby McFerrin's "Hush" album of well-known "Classical" music done on just cello and voice.

eg:

Would that stuff pass muster?
C-Ray, is this a genuine ask? I'll talk to the other judges for an official ruling, but only if you're serious about using this piece. Definitely not going to dismiss it out of hand.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Generic wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:Ooh...here's a question!

I just searched "Classical" on my iTunes library - and up came Yo To Ma and Bobby McFerrin's "Hush" album of well-known "Classical" music done on just cello and voice.

eg:

Would that stuff pass muster?
C-Ray, is this a genuine ask? I'll talk to the other judges for an official ruling, but only if you're serious about using this piece. Definitely not going to dismiss it out of hand.
Actually - since posting I have had a genuine idea with a real piece of classical music that is not in anyway controversial.

But - I still think it is an interesting question
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Thank you for keeping it practical, C-Ray.

If we're speaking in the abstract about this album, I don't mind letting you know that I would have voted "yea" on letting you use that McFerrin and Yo-Yo Ma album. They're both prestigious figures with pretty strong Classical Music bona fides, and they're performing new arrangements of (mostly) pieces that were written centuries ago. The fact that the arrangements are new and done by a former pop artist might give other judges pause, but it would have had my vote.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Song written and demoed. Hate it. Thinking about starting over. Typical Friday.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

ken wrote:...demoed...
Don't think I have ever seen that written as a word before. At first glance I thought it said "demooed", implying that you had been perhaps recording in a dairy.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

ken wrote:Song written and demoed. Hate it. Thinking about starting over. Typical Friday.
Interesting. In 10 or so years of songfight - I don't think I have ever "started over". Once I get started, that is it - no going back. I may often abandon the project completely (though obviously that is not an option in Nur Ein), or twist the original idea in a new direction to what it started as - but cannot recall ever "starting again".
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

I've got it! But I can't begin recording until Sunday afternoon...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I just got back from cricket, and on the very first ball of my innings I executed a swashbuckling fine square cut that resulted in a magnificent four down past deep third man (though some unkind observers described it as a lucky top edge) - but I seem to to have been just a little too swashbuckling, and managed to tear a whole heap of muscles around my beer-gut region. I toughed it out and managed to make a gutsy 20-something not-out - but now in recording mode, I find that I seem to have damaged the same beer-gut muscles that I use for singing. Who knew that beer-gut muscles were so important.

Anyway - I will get this song finished - I just wanted to let everybody share my pain.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Ouch. Hope you heal quickly and completely.
facebook.com/ivegband
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Posted my Nein entry. I'm excited for your songs, this is such a cool challenge! :)
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

noma wrote:Posted my Nein entry. I'm excited for your songs, this is such a cool challenge! :)
Perhaps it's because of the way it's posted, my kooky phone keeps restarting the song about 10-30 seconds into the exciting/rock part. Having "sampled" the quiet intro about 5 times, though, the challenge is most definitely met. :shock: I'll listen to the rest later on a better connection.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I'm in.

But this is the last time I work with the Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra. It was hell trying to fit them all in my apartment - and the bastards drank all my beer.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Well, by just trying to give my first idea the benefit of the doubt, I think it turned out really good. I'm going to sit with it a few more hours in case I want to make some tweaks before the deadline.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

Submitted. I could have tweaked the drums and added frills, but it's a decent mix. Two classical samples: Schubert and Mahler. I'm going to bed and see what happens in the morning!

NUR EIN!!
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

Caravan Ray wrote:I'm in.

But this is the last time I work with the Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra. It was hell trying to fit them all in my apartment - and the bastards drank all my beer.

You rhymed with "Van Damme" as well!!!! There can be only one!!! NUR EIN!!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

BenKrieger wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:I'm in.

You rhymed with "Van Damme" as well!!!! There can be only one!!! NUR EIN!!!
That is why I like to get my lyrics up as early as possible.

If anyone subsequently comes up with anything similar - they are obviously plagiarising.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Just sent in my final mix.

I have no mention of Van Damme.

I did what I did and it is now in the hands of the Judges - amazing to have made it this far. At this point I am better than Federer.

Nur Ein!!!!!!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Just sent ours. It is what it is. I feel like I dropped the ball on this one for us, but whatever. We've made it once again to the semi-final rounds, which is all I was shooting for (not that winning wouldn't be nice, some year). Good luck to everybody this round. I'm looking forward to hearing your songs.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Is the link to Caravan Ray's song failing for anyone besides me? I tried removing "the" from the filename, but that didn't work. Thanks, Niveous.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Generic wrote:Is the link to Caravan Ray's song failing for anyone besides me? I tried removing "the" from the filename, but that didn't work.
Fixed.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I clearly recognize four of the samples. I don't want to single out the one I'm missing (yet), so could you all please chime in with the name of your sampled piece and a brief description of how it's used in your song?

And if you're the one I'm having trouble with... Don't worry, my failure to recognize it might just be backhanded praise about how well you integrated it with your piece.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I used part of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. If you listen carefully, you should just be able to make it out.