JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Nur Ein IX - Round Six

Post by JonPorobil »

glennny wrote:What do you call it when Coolio sings gangsta paradise over Stevie's Pastime paradise? It's not really a parody, there's probably a word for that. Anyway singing over moonlight sonata, is akin to the jazz atrocity known as vocalese.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

So does this mean no results tonight?
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles
Pronouns: he/him

Post by BenKrieger »

I got the results in a dream last night, actually. Every judge had the exact same ranking. Niveous knit the results onto a magenta and yellow dress. It was strange.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

One judge has not yet weighed in, but I can confirm that the other four do not have even remotely the same rankings.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Five way final?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

A five-way final is mathematically impossible at this point, as is a four-way, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of a three-act final.

Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

It seems distinctly possible this round, the suspense is killing me. One thing we all DID agree on was that this was a very difficult to rank round of 5 top shelf submissions. Good job everybody!
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

I am trying to recall the history of ties. As I recall, when the four way final happened there was no attempt to break the tie, but a differetn year a tie was broken by seeing which person had more first places among the judges.

Anyone know the official rule off the top of their head?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:It seems distinctly possible this round, the suspense is killing me. One thing we all DID agree on was that this was a very difficult to rank round of 5 top shelf submissions. Good job everybody!
Yes, we all felt really bad about ranking any of these "last," because that seems like such a slight, and all five of these songs are awesome.

Ross wrote:I am trying to recall the history of ties. As I recall, when the four way final happened there was no attempt to break the tie, but a differetn year a tie was broken by seeing which person had more first places among the judges.

Anyone know the official rule off the top of their head?
Not off the top of my head (I'll research more as the workflow at my real job allows), but I believe that tie-breakers are only deployed if an immunity is on the line.

EDIT: Nope, it looks like a tiebreaker was deployed in Nur Ein VIII, Round five. http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 28#p183381 Not sure why they changed how this would be handled for that one.

BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

Well it ain't called "Nur Drei," so regardless there should be a fight to the finish. NUR EIN!!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Sorry for the delay. All my fault. The results will be up within the hour.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm surprised and delighted at the results.

I'm sorry to see Ross, in particular, go. He's the only person I can think of who's ever turned in a song that two judges put at the top of the heap, and another two judges ranked last.

BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove

Post by BenKrieger »

And there it is! Two finalists with *very* different approaches. All about the A-game now!
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

This was such a close close round. I enjoyed all 5 songs in the round. This will go down, IMO, as one of the best penultimate rounds that the Nur Ein has ever produced.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Wowsers! Before judge 5 gave results Ross was in 1st and there was a 3 way tied for 2nd.

Congrats Merisan and C-Ray!!!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats CR, Sam and Erin!!! Good game all. Good game.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I'll have my reviews up in about an hour for the main five, with reviews of the Nein entries coming either late tonight or tomorrow. Suffice it to say, I had to nitpick like crazy to rank these.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm very surprised by these results, but I'm excited to get to the finals with Merisan for the first time. I thought Ken had by far the best song and a solid lock on winning the round. I'm really stunned to see him not make the cut. Great job on your song, Ken. The way the rankings can play out gets so weird in rounds four and five. Good job everybody, and congrats CR on winning the round.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

glennny wrote:Wowsers! Before judge 5 gave results Ross was in 1st and there was a 3 way tied for 2nd.

Congrats Merisan and C-Ray!!!
Y'know that I don't put up the judges scores in chronological order, right? Nor do the judges have assigned numbers (i.e, Niv=judge 4). I tend to mix it up.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Ross wrote:I think I would bet on Merisan moving on, and Tydon Docks being eliminated
Shows what I know.

BOOO JUDGE 5! BOOOOO!

Just kidding. What an amazingly close ranking. Fun Ein! I have especially enjoyed how uncontentious and argumentative it has been. It is always nice to move on and it has been gratifying getting some first place rankings these last few weeks.

Looking forward to hearing the final.

Thanks Niv, Judges, and fellow einers for all your time and energy, and until next year...

Nur Ein!!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Congrats to Merisan and Tydon! Make it bloody! :twisted: You know, in a fun way.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Overall:
This was incredibly difficult to judge. All five of you turned in really strong material, songs that were complex and interesting, clever and moving, and bearing deep analysis. I'm going to be quite verbose in these reviews, because you all turned in songs that were excellent on the usual levels of lyrical competence, composition, arrangement, and recording fidelity. Instead, I found myself thinking about you guys' processes, and really nitpicking things because I needed something to use to figure out which of these songs was better than the others.

Ken Mahru
The synths are pleasantly evocative of some of the more upbeat songs of the 80s. I also like the I-iv progression. You picked one of the least risky pieces of classical music ever, but it happens to be an old favorite of mine. It blends in really well with your string synth, which says a lot about your string synth, I guess. I think the lyrics feel a bit like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," in that they're trippy and evocative, but also in that they're kind of missing a sense of conflict. The descriptions are vivid, but I'm not sure what motivation is supposed to be propelling us through the song. 

Krautkitten
I might as well admit, this was the one I didn't recognize the sample(s) from. I figured it was either that piano or the trumpet, and when it turned out to be both, that didn't surprise me either. I guess you caught one of my blind spots. :-)  No complaint about the challenge implementation or pieces chosen - the fact that I didn't recognize them at first was irrelevant to my judging process. So, onto the song... The jangly guitar works for me. That combined with the nostalgic lyrics create a strong impression of R.E.M. Not what I would have expected from you, but it works really well here! I'm a bit confused about your structure - it feels like there's most of one song, then two really short unrelated sections. It's pretty clear you meant that to be some kind of epic ending, but to my ears it comes out as disjointed, and one that runs long. So let's see, it's Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, sample/solo, bridge, coda. Something is just structurally out of joint there, making these disparate parts sound unsatisfyingly incomplete to me. Maybe if it had circled back to one more verse or chorus? Or maybe if the sample/solo had happened earlier? I don't know, I enjoyed this a lot, and found it more rewarding on subsequent listens, but I can't help but wonder whether some less risky structural decisions might have pushed this over the top.

Merisan
"Claire de Lune," right off the bat. I would have pegged you guys for a Chopin sample. Anyway, thank you for opening on the sample, because I would not have recognized it if you'd just left it in the background during the verses. I like when the synth reprises that same line in the second verse samples. If I have any problem with this, it's that Erin's voice doesn't have a whole lot of oomph behind it. The melody and her voice are lovely, but to my ears the performance sounds a bit dispassionate. Maybe it was like the zillionth take and you were tired or something? This wouldn't have made much difference to me if the competition hadn't been so fierce, but with four other great songs in the round, that turned out to be a make-or-break aspect of this song. 

Ross Durand
The "preachy lyrics" train has gotten you this far, might as well keep doing it. I spent most of this song wondering why you'd written in 5/4, then I realized the genius behind this approach to the challenge; you picked a classical sample that remained recognizable in spite of only having one note, which made it easier for you to write around. Brilliant. The fact that you sustained a neat groove and delivered your vocal cadence so well in 5/4 for the rest of the song was a nice surprise, too. I honestly did not expect anyone to deploy Holst on us, least of all you. And yet, it works, specifically because you built up your 5/4 so well in the rest of the song, and because the "Mars, the Bringer of War" piece dovetails thematically with your lyrics. Your laid-back country groove (albeit, a laid-back country groove in a weird time signature) becomes something menacing quite suddenly. Incidentally, From rounds 0-6, I didn't pick the same competitor for my #1 pick twice. This wasn't intentional, it just came out that way, but I gave my top slots to MG, Merisan, Cavedwellers, Krautkitten, Nick Soma, then you. And now you've made me break the streak - I put you at the top of my heap again this week. One other judge did the same, so I was very surprised that you didn't advance, and I'm sorry to see you go. You're no stranger to the finals, and I thought it would have been nice to give you one more crack at it.

Tydon Docks
Before I begin this review, a quick personal note. It's difficult to remain impartial, and I have to admit that I was pulling for you, John. You've really upped your game this year, arguably more than anyone else in this competition (with the possible exception of Rabid Garfunkel). Your hooks have been strong and your ideas have been clever. I've had many of the songs from the first six rounds stuck in my head as the competition has progressed, but no one's more than yours. In light of their staying power, I've regretted not ranking you higher than I did in three different rounds so far ("Stop," "Watertight," and "The New Ugly"), and I was hoping to see you make it to the finals. Nonetheless, I ranked you in 4th place, because I feel it's important to judge the song in front of us for these first six rounds, rather than overall performance, and everyone's songs were so bloody amazing that I couldn't personally justify putting you ahead of them (in my opinions, anyway). When I saw that two other judges ranked you at #1 and gave you the win, I was truly delighted. Welcome to the finals; you've earned it this year.

Now, as for your "Videoland..."
Nice work integrating that sample in more hip-hop style than the other competitors, by looping it and putting drums over it.  You structured your piece around "The Hallelujah Chorus" really well, playing on our natural expectation of the impending chorus, and turning into something rather off-puttingly sexual. Comparing the actual "Hallelujah" part of "The Hallelujah Chorus" to orgasm, both by structuring your song around it, and by literally calling it "the money shot" in your lyrics, was perverse genius. Bravo! I mean, I've seen you try for "clever" and fail before, but this was a major home-run in the humor department. That having been said, your list of directors in the bridge could be cleverer, lyrically, though I did like ending on Hitchcock like that. Anyway. Congrats on your win, and I look forward to hearing your "Usual Bravura!"

(Edited a couple of times because Evernote didn't sync properly and I lost some data)
Last edited by JonPorobil on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.