Nur Ein X

There can be only one.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Re: Nur Ein X

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Yeah yeah, complaints. Look. I LOVE the Ein. I enjoy the direction the assorted confinements point you in, the whittling down of the participants, deadlines, and, of course, the music. I joined SF! a couple of rounds into the first EIN and missed only one other. Just saying that the extra days really change the entire feel of the competition. The two days 'off' were full of delicious anticipation and a nice breather after five fast-paced days. I'm not sure that I agree with Ross that the songs were any better in the extended period, either. Ross' El Balazo is one of my favorite of all SF! songs and that was from the first EIN. Word!

I will still participate, I love it too much not too. And I will do my best to win. But I guess I can't help but reiterate how much better it is, in my opinion, with the old format. That said...NUR EIN!!!!!!!!!!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Nur Whine!!!! :P
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

iVeg wrote:The main downside I saw to the ManGlut schedule was everyone immediately started working on the next song. There were few comments on each others songs, esp in the early rounds... Or maybe it just felt that way to me because I had to work thru all the Boffo Yux Listening Parties.

On the upside, the songs were generally better.
I have not experienced how to compete under the new format, but I'm sure it's mentally healthy to have forced two days off, I'm with Paco on this. It may be that the production benefits from two additional days, but time does not necessarily mean a better song. And the two-day stop are also very fun activity days in the forum. I like the tension and uncertainty. Anyway, my happiness and stress are fortunately guaranteed whatever the final format.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

I think I agree with Paco & Carlo; the two days off lets you sort of take in the songs that were posted instead of just moving on immediately to another one (which leads to more feedback and personally the feedback is the thing I most enjoy about nur ein and songfight in general).

That said; I'm definitely going to try to take part either which way. I enjoyed getting my ass handed to me in Nur Ein VII & IX.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Generic wrote:
iVeg wrote: When will the judges be announced? April?
As soon as the panel is complete. I've got confirmations from four out of five so far (including myself).
I think the 5th confirmation may have come. Be afraid. Very afraid
Nah, you were actually the first confirmation. :lol:
So yes, in keeping with Nur Ein tradition, last year's chamption Caravan Ray will be on the judging panel this year.

I'm still working on the rest of the panel. I'll keep you all posted.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Generic wrote:
iVeg wrote: When will the judges be announced? April?
As soon as the panel is complete. I've got confirmations from four out of five so far (including myself).
I think the 5th confirmation may have come. Be afraid. Very afraid
I think *that* happens too often for it to qualify as news any more, CR ...
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Paco Del Stinko wrote: I'm not sure that I agree with Ross that the songs were any better in the extended period, either. Ross' El Balazo is one of my favorite of all SF! songs and that was from the first EIN.
First off, Thanks!

Second, I din't recall ever having said I think the songs are better with an extended period. i have always preferred the breakneck pace of the early Eins! Can you find me a quote?

Also, I plan to be in!

Nur Ein!!!!!!!!!!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I suggested the Man-Glut rule every year. Somehow he's gone down in history with the name for it. I LOVE that rule, the more time the better, it is tough to find time to record, and I still fail to see the downside of starting a song and finding you're out. Finish the song, have another song, make it a shadow song!

I will be in Nur Ein. I still need to figure out which project wants to do it with me.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Ross wrote:Second, I din't recall ever having said I think the songs are better with an extended period. i have always preferred the breakneck pace of the early Eins! Can you find me a quote?
Er, no. Apparently I read iVeg's avatar color, not the name. I misquoted. Sorry. But I still regard El Balazo as a fave and am very glad that you are participating. :)

Oh, Glennny. Nobody has time, that's part of the deal, yo yo to the dilly yo. Waiting to start is part of the suspense, not an opportunity to get a head start. As for origins, Man-Glut just sniveled incessantly and made the 'rule' his own. ;)
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Introducing.... your judging panel for Nur Ein X!

We have an unusually esteemed panel this year, and in light of all the talent that have expressed such excitement about being a part of this project, we've decided to forego the tradition of the previous year's champion being on the jury, because Caravan Ray agreed with me that this fine bench of talent should not be squandered.

Juror No. 1
Ricky Q. Rocketstarr

During my morning commute one day, Ricky walked up to my car and tapped on the window to ask what I was listening to. The album in question was Glenn Case's latest, This Album Has 12 Songs. I told him all about Glenn's music, and mentioned that Glenn had once been the champion of this songwriting competition called Nur Ein, and it seemed Ricky was hooked. He insisted on washing my windshield for free, and then, picking a scrap of something out from his beard, he said that he absolutely could not allow such a project to proceed without his say-so. He'll be listening on an "iPod" that he made himself from scrap metal and what appeared to be bits of insect exoskeletons, and posting reviews from the nearest public library, after he's finished carving out the names of the artists he especially likes into the "Wall of Fame," or the outer left-side wall of the plastic recycling bin in which he lives. He warns me that his reviews might sometimes be late, if he gets caught sneaking into the Gold's Gym and the librarian thinks he stinks too badly. I've promised him that we we will be charitable, welcoming, and accomodating.

About his participation, Ricky says...
I love Jesus but I hate myself. I mean, I don't really like myself. Well, I don't really mind talking to myself. I guess I like myself. Okay, fine, I love myself. There ain't any fluoride in this water, is there?
Juror No. 2
Maureen Philips

When I think of important musical figures, none stands out in my mind quite so much as Ms. Maureen Philips, who sat down for weekly piano lessons with me from the time I was six to when I graduated high school. At 90 years old, she is a wise and venerable soul, who knows a great deal about music, and has very strong opinions about all of it, especially "what the kids are listening to these days." I got a little nervous when she reached for the old wooden ruler, but when I explained that the songs were to be hosted on the Internet, and that we wouldn't actually be in the same room as the performers, she seemed mollified. A bit confused, but mollified.

About her participation, Maureen says…
No synthesizers. And none of those "New Age" people who just do nothing but play huge chords and trick people into thinking they know what they're doing. And play to tempo! Slow it down! Have you all been practicing at all?
Juror No. 3
DR CLEMENT OKON

We are lucky to have the participation of DR CLEMENT OKON, a high-ranking public official in the Nigerian government. DR CLEMENT OKON first contacted me as a potential partner in a financial business transaction, when I informed him of a business proposition of my own. When I described Nur Ein to him, he got increasingly excited and eager to get started. I'd also like everyone to please be patient with DR CLEMENT OKON, as English is not his first language, so if any of his reviews are difficult for you to read or understand, we will be happy to work with you until you have a satisfactory answer.

About his participation, DR CLEMENT OKON writes:
IT IS GOOD THEN, BY THIS TRANSACTION WE ARE IN AGREEMENT. PLEASE,NOTE THAT THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% SAFE AND WE HOPE TO COMMENCE THE TRANSFER LATEST SEVEN (7) BANKING DAYS FROM THE DATE OF THE RECEIPT OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATIOM BY TEL/FAX.
Juror No. 4
(something that used to be) John Lennon

One of the absolute and undisputed forefathers of Rock music as we know it, John Lennon seemed like something of a reach for this modest competition, but I do appreciate a challenge, so I consulted my local library, and with the assistance of Juror No. 1 Ricky Q. Rocketstarr, who claimed to have known Lennon in a past life, and also the help of an elderly librarian with incredibly thick eyebrows, I sought to contact Mr. Lennon by means of a dusty leatherbound book filled with symbols I didn't quite understand. I figured, hey, I've installed custom ROMs on my phone before, so how hard could this be? After a great deal of study and incantation of gibberish, we managed to conjure a shambling humanesque presence that Ricky and the librarian both swear with the utmost sincerity is actually the remains of the former Beatle. We're working on the putrid smell (which makes me think Ricky shouldn't have much of a problem posting his reviews after all) and (re?)teaching him English. I'm also trying to see if there's a solution or workaround for the feeling of existential dread that seems to accompany being in his presense.

About his participation, The Late Mr. Lennon says…
Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh…..
Juror No. 5
Jon Eric
Most of you know me already. I served on the judging panel last year, and Niveous was sufficiently impressed to ask me to step in as head judge while he takes a sabbatical from Nur Ein this year. I've tried my absolute hardest to get the most diverse and esteemed group of judges for this very special occasion, the tenth Nur Ein.

About my participation, I say…
Happy April Fools Day! The real judging panel will be squared away some time in the next week, and I'll let you all know as soon as we have the full panel.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Bummer. I think I would have done well with those judges. :)
facebook.com/ivegband
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

All right, folks, it's not April Fools' Day anymore. There's still one open slot in the judging panel. Who would like to volunteer?

Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

All ein stuff is on http://nurein.songlander.com

Nur Ein wikis are all deprecated and subject to removal. The database is RESTful and anyone who wants to make a more awesome website can do so locally with javascript and then send it my way.

I don't know if I'll be participating. I feel my time is better spent programming than making music.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Lunkhead wrote:If MG wanted to share his code I could try to finish what he was working on.
Something something Lunkhead's too cool for PHP.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Manhattan Glutton wrote: I don't know if I'll be participating. I feel my time is better spent programming than making music.
Definitely.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

frankie big face wrote:
Manhattan Glutton wrote: I don't know if I'll be participating. I feel my time is better spent programming than making music.
Definitely.
Yet, there's something alluring about the camaraderie and cultivating supportive friendships around here that brings me back.

JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I would definitely be sad if this Ein came and went with no new Manhattan Glutton tunes. However, would you care to split the difference and be a judge?

BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

iVeg wrote:The main downside I saw to the ManGlut schedule was everyone immediately started working on the next song. There were few comments on each others songs, esp in the early rounds... Or maybe it just felt that way to me because I had to work thru all the Boffo Yux Listening Parties.
iVeg, You won't have that issue this time around. While BYD will be competing, we won't be doing the Listening Party. My time is limited, and it felt like an uphill battle doing them. Huge thanks to Niv for helping make them special, but the time invested in show prep, Artist IDs, and coordination was considerable.

So I'll pass that baton to Jon Eric if he wants to keep the tradition up.

Paco del Stinko's Nur Ein theme song
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Udmy ... sp=sharing
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

After careful deliberation, I must decline judging.

If I don't make songs for Nur Ein this year, I might never make songs again.

iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

@BYD - I understand the time constraints. Bummer, because I really enjoyed the listening parties.
Glad that you're still able to participate, tho!

@ManGlut - getting married changes your priorities and the amount of free time you have. You may make FEWER songs, but you should never stop trying.
facebook.com/ivegband
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Feeling like I want to enter this. I know if I do, I'll get busy at work and flake out. OR MAYBE NOT.
* this is not a disclaimer
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:
frankie big face wrote:
Definitely.
Yet, there's something alluring about the camaraderie and cultivating supportive friendships around here that brings me back.
I've already started writing my reviews for your songs