Nur Ein X - Round Two

There can be only one.

Moderator: Mods

User avatar
adamadamant
Kokiri
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 am
Instruments: Synth, ukulele, singing
Recording Method: Ardour, Hydrogen, XioSynth, Shure SM58
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby adamadamant » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:06 am

j$ wrote:.. Get someone else who actually has an imagination to write the lyrics for you this time? ;p


Call the fire brigade, something's burning!
User avatar
Generic
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Generic » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:25 am

Also, a quick rules refresher for the newcomers or those who might need a reminder:

DJ Ranger Den, having been granted the year's first immunity, does not need to turn in a song for Round 2. She might turn one in anyway; that's up to her. If she does submit a song, it will be posted on the site and the judges may choose to review it, but it will not receive a ranking, and she cannot get immunity two weeks in a row.

Immunity is granted to the winners of Rounds 1 through 3. If you make it that far, your songs must stand on their own merits until the end of the competition, or until you get eliminated.

NUR EIN!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

Circle of Titles!!!!!!
User avatar
josh
Fortune Teller
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals
Recording Method: Reaper, Scarlett 2i4
Submitting as: Zack Facco
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby josh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:10 am

Oh, good to hear about the title thing, I'd actually wondered that myself and noticed last round that one or two people didn't use the title verbatim. That makes sense to me, since there are plenty of songs out there where the title doesn't get mentioned in the song...

It's weird how different people react to titles. Last round, I hated the title, but other people loved it. I thought it was too limiting, but then I read Frankie Big Face's lyrics. This round a couple of people are complaining, but to me it's ripe... Definitely don't see why it'd be limited to a 14 y/o girl's perspective. Anyone could have a diary. The diary could contain nation secrets. Or it could be a serial killer's diary. Or a killer enchilada recipe. Course, I've now jinxed myself and probably won't finish :-)
Check out my band The Facc-Tones!: https://www.facebook.com/facctones/
User avatar
chocolatechips
Fortune Teller
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:29 pm
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby chocolatechips » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:16 am

I had a lot of crazy ideas for who the diary could belong to (good ideas Josh/Zack) but I think I'm going with the 14 year old girl after all. And yeah, I'm definitely thinking about not including the actual title in the lyrics ... it seems like a title that would have to be shoehorned in. But might work nicely sung in the harmonies ...
User avatar
iVeg
Fortune Teller
Posts: 382
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby iVeg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:48 pm

It would have been easier as "Stolen Diary". I was thinking of doing a dyslexic version "The Stolen Dairy" as a Nein if I have too much spare time.
[After I finish "The Stolen Diary" and "Unsubscribe"]
Possibly the longest continuous losing streak at SongFight? [21 in a row]
User avatar
Generic
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Generic » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:49 pm

josh wrote:Oh, good to hear about the title thing, I'd actually wondered that myself and noticed last round that one or two people didn't use the title verbatim. That makes sense to me, since there are plenty of songs out there where the title doesn't get mentioned in the song...


There is also an illustrious Song Fight! tradition of parsing the title incorrectly (on purpose).
Octothorpe's first entry was "Been to China," and it was about packaging a bean and sending it to China.
They also did a "Level Best" entry about seeing who can make paintings the most level. (And my own entry that fight was about a demolition company: "We level best.")
The IRC All-Stars' song for the "Need Stilts" fight had a bridge that morphed it into "Needs Tilt."

Probably a bunch of other fun examples of this out there.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

Circle of Titles!!!!!!
User avatar
adamadamant
Kokiri
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 am
Instruments: Synth, ukulele, singing
Recording Method: Ardour, Hydrogen, XioSynth, Shure SM58
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby adamadamant » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:25 pm

I also wanted to do a song about stolen cheese.

My favourite diary rhyme so far is:

Let's start the inquiry
Into the diary burgliary


Needless to say this is not in my song.
Lunkhead
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5159
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Lunkhead » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:45 pm

I was going to rhyme "stolen diary" with "incendiary". Probably not wise though.
User avatar
Caravan Ray
poopbutt
Posts: 8010
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Caravan Ray » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Lunkhead wrote:I was going to rhyme "stolen diary" with "incendiary". Probably not wise though.

No. That would be stupid. "Stolen diary" sounds nothing like "wise".
User avatar
Pigfarmer Jr
Fortune Teller
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:13 am
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr
Location: CoMo
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Pigfarmer Jr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:06 pm

MichaelJSamuels wrote:So I'm curious to hear peoples' interpretations of the prompt's requirements in general (not just this round). So far I've been playing it safe and explicitly including the assigned titles in the lyrics, but how much leeway is this here? If song centers, for example, around a metaphor that's obviously tied into the title, does that suffice? What are some criteria we can use to judge whether we're still, in the judges views, writing to the prompt?

Obviously there're no hard and fast answers, but I'm interested to hear how everyone's been interpreting things.


Just write the fucking song. If it's good it will get good scores. If not...

*edit: What I meant to say is.... A good song that fits the title won't even be questioned and should score well. However, a judge could easily use the excuse that a song doesn't fit the title (very well) in order to justify a lower score on a song they don't like. I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would prefer a loose fit in a good song than an exact fit on a lesser song.
Ad astra per alia porci - Steinbeck
(To the stars on the wings of a pig.)
User avatar
Rabid Garfunkel
Gerudo
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:43 pm
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: Logic, Reason, Mac Mini i7, Tascam FireOne
Submitting as: Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Rabid Garfunkel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:50 am

Doh! Been working up Secret Diary in lyrics, not Stolen.

But it's an easy swap, and hey, that just ratchets up the narrative tension even more. :D

Now about those harmonies...
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
User avatar
Generic
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Generic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:16 am

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Doh! Been working up Secret Diary in lyrics, not Stolen.

But it's an easy swap, and hey, that just ratchets up the narrative tension even more. :D

Now about those harmonies...


Emphasis on the "harm," eh? :P
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

Circle of Titles!!!!!!
User avatar
Rabid Garfunkel
Gerudo
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:43 pm
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: Logic, Reason, Mac Mini i7, Tascam FireOne
Submitting as: Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Rabid Garfunkel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 am

Heh, bonus points if you say it like Inigo Montoya in the rhyming game scene with Fezzik... :twisted:
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
User avatar
josh
Fortune Teller
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals
Recording Method: Reaper, Scarlett 2i4
Submitting as: Zack Facco
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby josh » Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am

Looks like I may have in fact jinxed myself. Don't really have much time between now and Sunday night :-/ High chance of no show...
Check out my band The Facc-Tones!: https://www.facebook.com/facctones/
noma
Fortune Teller
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 12:59 am
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby noma » Sat May 02, 2015 10:54 am

Sent mine in. Ooh wop-wop shoobedoo-wah! Nur Ein!
User avatar
Manhattan Glutton
Zora
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:10 pm
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Manhattan Glutton » Sat May 02, 2015 5:11 pm

I had to scratch my project and start over because I don't know what harmonies are the tempo was all wrong.
User avatar
Rabid Garfunkel
Gerudo
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:43 pm
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: Logic, Reason, Mac Mini i7, Tascam FireOne
Submitting as: Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Rabid Garfunkel » Sun May 03, 2015 6:02 pm

In. Music kickin', vocals not so much. Hoping for drop-outs in the extreme.

Okay, wow, that sounded nothing at all like English Beat's "Noise in this world"
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Lunkhead
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5159
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Lunkhead » Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm out. I never really got an idea for a song, so I've been trying to force myself to make one anyone. It's been going poorly and I'm not going to be done in time, and I'm not having any fun, so I'm calling it quits. Have fun y'all.
Lunkhead
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5159
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 pm
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/reason/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Lunkhead » Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Oh yeah, and there was actually a power outage a half hour ago that set me back a couple hours, which seemed like a good sign that it was time to throw in the towel. :D
User avatar
Ross
Gerudo
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:27 pm
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand
Location: Orange CA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Ross » Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Out.

Wrong week of my life to do this, and next week probably would have been, too.

Apologies to anyone eliminated last week who might have had a spot if I had anticipated this, but I guess that's the game.

Have a good fight, all - I'll try to write reviews.

Nur Ein!!
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
User avatar
Rabid Garfunkel
Gerudo
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:43 pm
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: Logic, Reason, Mac Mini i7, Tascam FireOne
Submitting as: Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Rabid Garfunkel » Sun May 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Yikes, unexpected x2! More Monkey's Paw than meets the eye...
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
User avatar
Generic
Princess Zelda
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 5AI, Cubase 6
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Two

Postby Generic » Sun May 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Dang!

Having not one, but two former finalists drop out in Round 2 certainly casts a pall over the round. It also made things somewhat easier for the remaining competitiors. There will be only two judge eliminations this round. I'm looking forward to hearing the songs!

NUR EIN!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

Circle of Titles!!!!!!

Return to “Nur Ein”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests