Nur Ein X Round Four "Banshee"

There can be only one.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Four

Post by j$ »

The Kinks were the *perfect* singles band but never made as perfect an album as 'Sketches of Spain', 'Kind of Blue' etc etc ...
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

j$ wrote:
FBF- super lovely awesome. I always imagine you think punk-pop is too easy for a man of your musical distinction(probably unfairly) but I am going to play this to my other half 'cos I know we'll both jumping around the room to this. People always accuse me of being FBF-friendly but if you want my vote, go write a song as effortlessly great as this. "Wooh Wooh Wooh Wooh Woe is me" is stuck in my head now. Thanks, Frankie!
You are welcome! Honestly, I just go wherever my tiny brain tells me to go. I love power pop, punk pop, just pop, but it's not as easy as some bands make it seem. This song had an interesting evolution—the hook (wo-wo-wo-wo, etc.) originally revealed itself to me as the verse in a much less poppy thing. But then that other hook ("can I get a word with you?") came along and then I went to see Faith No More and I think I got the rhythm of the Epic verse in my head because I came up with that staccato verse. Anyway, I'm glad it sounded "effortless" ---that is one of the best compliments you can give me. And if it made you and Dez dance, even better. :)
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I forgot to mention how freaking awesome Kens song is! It's been in my head all day! Good job Ken!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Sorry, no results tonight. I'm about to go to sleep, and hopefully we'll have a winner in the morning.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
DuToVa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: DuToVa
Pronouns: ---

Post by DuToVa »

j$ wrote: DuToVa - that's not how you pronounce 'Sub-Mariner'. Spoken word intro totally unnecessary and a bit distracting. Just sayin', on both counts. I'm not an X-Men fan (more of a DC man, m'self) but Banshee was always my favourite so bonus points already. the mix is a bit flat but songs about alcoholic mutant screamy Irishmen are always winners in my book. I would have written about Sean Cassidy. I like its effeciency although it kind of just stops, bizarrely a bit too early. I don't think I have ever said that in a review before!
Thanks for this and previous reviews. The 'Sub-Mariner' pronunciation was an attempt to be funny (the speaker, "To", is actually a comic book expert). Regarding the length of the song, since this was intended to be a Saturday morning superhero theme song, I compared lengths to some from the 60s. The Hulk theme song is only 14 seconds long, so I didn't want to make it too long. Even though three of the judges thought it was the worst of the pack, this was by far my favorite song to work on and the most fun. Va of DuToVa
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

As you could probably tell by the artwork this week, I totally believed songs about Sean Cassidy were the way to go. I also much applaud DuToVa for working in Black Tom.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Here are some detailed reviews from a judge. Overall, the quality has gone up, across the board. This makes my job both easier and harder. Easier because I don't have to think up cogent criticisms for a bunch of songs I dislike, but harder because making up my mind about the order of these is torture! Anyway, without further ado…

Balance Lost
You've got so many ideas crammed into this song that they all step on each other's toes. We've got the rap about the homicide detective, the "Fresh Prince" sample part, the "Voices in my Head" part, and that strange outro. None of these are really bad (except maybe the "Fresh Prince" part), but I don't think they all belong in the same song, and the transitions between them (or, to be more honest, the lack thereof) make their juxtaposition even more jarring. I had to check back to my screen a few times to make sure the song hadn't abruptly switched over. Judge #1 saved your hide, it looks like!

Carlo Bruno Jr.
I really like the pirate chanting and the drums here. The horn section providing that descending accent at the end is also a good touch. I appreciate that the lyrics are a little more straightforward than your usual; there are no "What did he mean by that?" moments. I suspect some of the other listeners might see that as a negative, but I think in this song keeping the lyrics simple was the right choice because it lets the listener focus uninterrupted on this dark musical groove. I really feel transported to a ship on the sea, in the middle of a storm. Great work!

Cavedwellers
I really wish I could explain why, but that main riff (eight staccato eighth notes, two dotted quarters and a quarter) gets on my nerves. Which is a shame, because it comes up a lot in this song. Everything else about it is fine - I like your lyrics, the lyrical phrasing in your chorus, the "banshee" background vocals (and the shaker that accompanies them), and the a cappella breakdown (although I agree with j$ that it seems a little forced-in). The vocal breakdown reminds me a lot of Eddiebangs' "Troublemaker," which is a good thing in my book. I keep trying to describe what it is about that main riff that bugs me, but I'm just dancing about architecture here. Sorry. I'm glad you survived a low ranking from me.

DuToVa
That opening sketch was an egregious misstep. It runs way too long and adds nothing. Each time your song came up on my list, that opening sketch got more annoying. The rest of the song is okay, but not great. I like your approach to the lyrics, and your use of the Banshee howl was a creative approach to the challenge. The lead vocalist has a couple of "pitchy" moments that pretty much sealed your fate.

Frankie Big Face
This song is so loud and high-energy that I kept worrying it would run off the rails, but it never does. That "Woe-woe-woe-woe-woe is me" is both incredibly catchy and a clever angle on the title! I also really love the staccato synth in the background under that chorus. This has been stuck in my head ever since the first listen. I also really like the verse structure. I was trying to think of where I'd heard a song like this, with a lot of indefinite articles making up the verses, and the closest I could think of was Add's "Maybe So." I can't shake the feeling that there's something else this is similar to, but it just will not come to me. (No, not that one.)(Not that one either.) Anyway, you had my favorite of the round again, so congratulations on a well-deserved win.

Ken Mahru
Aside from the intro running a bit long (maybe use only two measures of the drums instead of four?), I don't have any complaints about this. Your implementation of the challenge was my favorite of the week, which was almost enough to vault you to my #1 spot on its own - I took a while trying to figure out whether to give it to you or to Frank. I like that reedy instrument anchoring the melody, and the medieval 3/4 time war drum beat. The whole things works really well for me, and it builds to a rousing crescendo when the background vocals join in. Excellent work.

Nick Soma
In spite of the Irish instrumentation, this reminds me very much of "Ghost Riders in the Sky." Not necessarily a bad thing, as I really like that song, but I kept waiting for some kind of break akin to the "Yipee Yi-Ay" part of that song, and we don't really get that. There's the part with your doubled vocals, but that's not really enough of a lift for me. I still really like the vibe of this song, and the lyrics are great. I also really like the vocal effects in the background. But it gets a little samey after a while and runs a bit longer than it should. In spite of the nitpicks, this was one of my favorites this round. It's just that we're getting to the point where a showing that would have been something to be proud of in Round 1 is now barely in the top half of Round 4. Lots of competition!

Paco del Stinko
It really bugs me that I can't figure why I like your eighth-note based riff so much but I can't stand Glennny's. Anyway, this is a good song, and it grew on me with each listen. The harmonies (both of the guitar and the vocals) are tight and add lots of texture. The beatboxing seems understated at first, but building the whole groove around the song was a smart move. Then there's that vocal "guitar" solo! Awesome stuff. I'm sorry I couldn't rank you higher, but as I explained to Nick above, it's getting really crowded near the top. Honestly, if we'd had another day or two to judge, you might have gained a point or two.

The Chocolate Chips
This is one of my favorite songs from you, which makes it a shame to have you so near the bottom of the list (see the two reviews above you - there's a lot of good competition by this point). The guitar riff is nice, the moodiness suits your "from ten miles away" vocal effect, and the modulation from minor to major at the end of a phrase happens to be one of my favorite musical tricks. And that was an excellent solo! It does need a decent coda.

À Tous Les Monsieurs
I kind of already said it all above, but I just wanted to re-iterate how amazing I think this song is! I love the phrasing of the verse lyrics, and the guitar work throughout. I don't think I've ever heard a jazz guitar holding down a groove in a funk song like this. The rap break was a gambit; it could have been dangerously cheesy, but I think it was really effective, largely due to a complex and varied flow, and some tight spot stacks. The drums are also top notch, and I don't think the song would have worked as well in the hands of a less-skilled drummer (I think they sound like real drums, anyway. If not, then they're extraordinarily well-programmed!). This singer doesn't sound like Frank; did you kick him out of the band?

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
DuToVa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DuToVa »

Niveous wrote:As you could probably tell by the artwork this week, I totally believed songs about Sean Cassidy were the way to go. I also much applaud DuToVa for working in Black Tom.
Thanks Niveous. You are a (comic book) scholar and a gent!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Generic wrote: Frankie Big Face
This song is so loud and high-energy that I kept worrying it would run off the rails, but it never does. That "Woe-woe-woe-woe-woe is me" is both incredibly catchy and a clever angle on the title! I also really love the staccato synth in the background under that chorus. This has been stuck in my head ever since the first listen. I also really like the verse structure. I was trying to think of where I'd heard a song like this, with a lot of indefinite articles making up the verses, and the closest I could think of was Add's "Maybe So." I can't shake the feeling that there's something else this is similar to, but it just will not come to me. (No, not that one.)(Not that one either.) Anyway, you had my favorite of the round again, so congratulations on a well-deserved win.
Thanks for catching the relationship of the "Woe-woe-woe..." to a banshee wail. I was very nervous about not including the title in my lyric and there was one place I could have shoehorned it but I decided to go with my gut and I guess it paid off. I didn't check out your YouTube links yet but I will when I get home.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Generic wrote: À Tous Les Monsieurs
The drums are also top notch, and I don't think the song would have worked as well in the hands of a less-skilled drummer (I think they sound like real drums, anyway. If not, then they're extraordinarily well-programmed!). This singer doesn't sound like Frank; did you kick him out of the band?
That's Zach, one of two PA All-State Jazz drummers. So yeah, he's pretty good and only a junior so he'll probably be back here next year. :)

Jon, as you know, the workings of à tous les monsieurs are a mystery. Was I ever really the singer? Is the sky really green? Are ants not made of silicon fiber? The questions are the answers and the answer is....perhaps. :?:
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote: Thanks for catching the relationship of the "Woe-woe-woe..." to a banshee wail. I was very nervous about not including the title in my lyric and there was one place I could have shoehorned it but I decided to go with my gut and I guess it paid off. I didn't check out your YouTube links yet but I will when I get home.
You needn't bother. One is "Epic" and the other is "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

DuToVa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DuToVa »

Generic wrote: ... and your use of the Banshee howl was a creative approach to the challenge.
The Banshee supersonic scream was made up of yelling, a warbling mouth noise, and theremin.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Generic wrote:
frankie big face wrote: Thanks for catching the relationship of the "Woe-woe-woe..." to a banshee wail. I was very nervous about not including the title in my lyric and there was one place I could have shoehorned it but I decided to go with my gut and I guess it paid off. I didn't check out your YouTube links yet but I will when I get home.
You needn't bother. One is "Epic" and the other is "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
Ah. I think I said this earlier to j$, but I had just returned from a Faith No More concert when I wrote the verse and I knew the rhythm was similar to "Epic." Good catch.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

I started to write full reviews, but then I thought it may seem dickish to criticize songs after the results have already been posted and I was the winner of the round.

So I thought I would just say that I really enjoyed Ken's song for the interesting arrangement which complemented the lyrics so well.

Most sad to see Chocolate Chips go. I like your voice and way with melody. Probably not the best mix or arrangement or whatever, but I would not have had you in my bottom three.

Peace out!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I wouldn't let that stop you, Frank. There's precedent.

chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

I am a bit disappointed not to make it past 5 songs as this is my 3rd Nur Ein (did 7 & 9 before) and each time I've been eliminated at 5 songs ... so seem to be stuck there ! that said; I had no ideas for "Two Day Shadow" so it's kind of a relief in a way. Out of steam, I think.

"Banshee" was something different for me - to try to do a song based around guitar riffing rather than start with the focus more on melody/chords like I usually do. I had fun with it ... but it could have been better and I'm not too surprised the judges kicked me out.

I appreciate all of the reviews / comments (positive & negative) and I plan on adding some some reviews of the rest of the songs soonish.

Overall I had a great time doing this Nur Ein thing and will probably do it again next year (although maybe in some different form ... might start a new project/band with someone else as singer but me doing everything else - if I can find the right vocalist)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

DuToVa wrote:
j$ wrote: DuToVa - that's not how you pronounce 'Sub-Mariner'. Spoken word intro totally unnecessary and a bit distracting. Just sayin', on both counts. I'm not an X-Men fan (more of a DC man, m'self) but Banshee was always my favourite so bonus points already. the mix is a bit flat but songs about alcoholic mutant screamy Irishmen are always winners in my book. I would have written about Sean Cassidy. I like its effeciency although it kind of just stops, bizarrely a bit too early. I don't think I have ever said that in a review before!
Thanks for this and previous reviews. The 'Sub-Mariner' pronunciation was an attempt to be funny (the speaker, "To", is actually a comic book expert). Regarding the length of the song, since this was intended to be a Saturday morning superhero theme song, I compared lengths to some from the 60s. The Hulk theme song is only 14 seconds long, so I didn't want to make it too long. Even though three of the judges thought it was the worst of the pack, this was by far my favorite song to work on and the most fun. Va of DuToVa
Suffice to say, I was not one of those three judges, though three, this round, is the magic number ... I continue to love the way you think, the ideas that spill out and I am sad to see you go, for one ...
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Our first lyrical idea was to write a song about Budgie, I thought that maybe only Caravan Ray would get it.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

glennny wrote:Our first lyrical idea was to write a song about Budgie, I thought that maybe only Caravan Ray would get it.
:)
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost