Did some shitty artwork for my song.
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Four

Post by carlo bruno jr »

I'm in. Featuring Jose Montoro at snare drums.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

furrypedro wrote:Did some shitty artwork for my song.
Yeah, you're right there ...
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Last night, I had a dream that I was being scolded by a couple of non-existent female friends who were offended by my assumption that a banshee has to be a woman. This is what happens when it's Saturday night and you still haven't started your song.

But I'm finished now so :P .

My voice instrument is the slithery lead guitar/synth/whatever you will hear on my track.
DuToVa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: DuToVa
Pronouns: ---

Post by DuToVa »

Voice/mouth as instrument: percussion egg-like sound in intro, warbling mouth sound and yell in Banshee sonic scream, and person in distress screaming
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

As an aside, I used the new Drummer Track for the first time in Logic Pro X to make this track and that thing is fucking awesome. Saved me hours and made my song so much more interesting than if I had use a loop.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I'm in. Again, I wrote three songs to end up here and I think it all worked out in the end.

You will hear a couple of parts I like to call, "mouth trumpets."

Nur Ein!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Huh? Nothing uploaded yet?
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Did iVeg not make it?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Cavedwellers Challenge:
The bridge section starts a Capella with: kick, snare, ride , bass, guitar chords, and guitar licks all done with just voice.
Then it develops into a Capella vs real band, and culminates in a combination of the two with the basses trading licks.

That's my daughter Bella as the Banshee.

Great job everyone! My favorite moment is the Paco vocal (guitar like) solo. The ATLM is rather awesome too for similar reasons. Balance Lost continues to make incredible music! I love this entry!

Judges have some tough decisions. I have no idea what I would do. I've had 2 passes and I'm enjoying all ten songs! I'm not sure if there's a file problem with iVeg, or if he didn't make the deadline. If he has a song, I haven't heard it yet.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Inflatable Vegetables sent in an email with no attachment. We asked them to follow up with the mp3 file, but they haven't responded yet. We're nine hours past the deadline at this point and the songs went up late as it is, so unfortunately, they're disqualified.

There will be nur zwei (only two) eliminations this week.

NUR EIN!!!!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Is this post no longer accurate in it's description of the number of eliminations per round? It says four eliminations for round four.

http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtop ... =26&t=9637
Round 4:
May 11-17
Judging May 18-19
12 bands, 4 eliminations
EDIT: Nevermind, found the updated info:

http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtop ... 37#p193337
Round 4:
May 11-17
Judging May 18-19
11 bands, 3 eliminations
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

When we had fewer than 25 participants in Round 0, I updated the number eliminations in certain rounds. There were going to be three this round, but with Inflatable Vegetables dropping, it'll only be two for Round Five.

It's a real shame to see iVeg go for what I'm sure was a minor technical error. I was liking what they were bringing to the table this year.

Their elimination means there are 10 participants left, half of whom are former Nur Ein winners. (There's also Ken, who has been a finalist on multiple occasions, but never made it all the way before... could this be his year?)

The competition is getting intense!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

:( Guess I'll have to post on Nein. Originally sent email 21:21 GMT Saturday.
facebook.com/ivegband
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Did the email you sent contain an attachment? What I heard from Niveous was that the email arrived sans song.

Please do post to Nein; I still want to hear it.
(EDIT: Aha, I see that you already have posted it. I'll listen after work!)

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

It's so quiet...
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

It usually gets a little quieter during the judging period in the second half of the competition. As per my usual, I'm keeping mum about my opinions on the songs under consideration until after the results are finished.

(By the way, I don't yet know that the results will be late, but since the songs were posted late, consider this your warning that the results might be delayed this week.)

I will say this: the field is very tight, there are a lot of good songs, and in my mind there are a lot of songs whose rankings are too close for me to call. One pair of rankings might get decided with a literal coin flip. I'd rather not say which songs are involved.

Also, I don't mind announcing early that À Tous Les Monsieurs would probably have been my #1 this week, if he hadn't been immune. Jazz guitar funk! Meta lyrics! Four-part harmonies! Rap break (with some tight spot stacking)! Awesome stuff, Erik.

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Generic wrote: Also, I don't mind announcing early that À Tous Les Monsieurs would probably have been my #1 this week, if he hadn't been immune. Jazz guitar funk! Meta lyrics! Four-part harmonies! Rap break (with some tight spot stacking)! Awesome stuff, Erik.
That doesn't surprise me at all because, when I listened to that song, I thought "This sounds like Jon Eric."
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

That's not a connection I would have made, but I'll just assume it was a compliment and move along. :lol:

j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yeah, sorry, that's probably my fault. I threw in a ridiculously difficult challenge for the next round which we are still debating, pro and con. Pro=there should be a difficulty curve. Con=do we want to beat the record for number of drop-outs in a single round? We shall see!

reviews to follow ...

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Re: views.

Written As I Listen ...

I Am A C***

Balance Lost - Good use of 'cuneiform'. Ummm, not bad, not great until the chorus which is awesome. The rest is Balance Lost can rap too, which is your default change up .. no hang on, I'm talking shit, this is amazing. Love that unexpected third change of tone. Oh there's the boring rap bit again. Should have cut that out and stuck the other two amazing sections. Don't like the 'trumpets' section much either. 2/3rds of an amazing song and 1/3rd an alright one. I hear a meatloaf song coming on ...

CBJ - loving the 'Captain Scarlet' drums. Not a wild fan of the melody this time out. It's a bit staid, maybe? Those drums are great, mind ... as are the 'hey's - I can imagine it on a modern re-imagining of 'Dirty Dozen' soundtrack ... I like the instrumental progression through the chorus as well, subtle but effective ... you set yourself a bar so high that when it doesn't reach it, even though it's good, I end disappointed.

Cavedwellers - what's not to like? Apart from the lyric of course :) It's a realy good tune and the 'creepy' BVs are awesome, really bring a "lo-fi" edge to what can be a proficient but less engaging sound - but oh, those words are soooo clunky ... the voices breakdown feels tagged on and resentful of being asked ... great guitaring - i like the verses far more than the more 'standard' chorus but it's all good. Just that verbiage is too much ... it doesn't sit comfortably with the song, to these jaded ears. Also the ending is a bit dumb, a "frill" ending which undermines what went before?

DuToVa - that's not how you pronounce 'Sub-Mariner'. Spoken word intro totally unnecessary and a bit distracting. Just sayin', on both counts. I'm not an X-Men fan (more of a DC man, m'self) but Banshee was always my favourite so bonus points already. the mix is a bit flat but songs about alcoholic mutant screamy Irishmen are always winners in my book. I would have written about Sean Cassidy. I like its effeciency although it kind of just stops, bizarrely a bit too early. I don't think I have ever said that in a review before!

FBF- super lovely awesome. I always imagine you think punk-pop is too easy for a man of your musical distinction(probably unfairly) but I am going to play this to my other half 'cos I know we'll both jumping around the room to this. People always accuse me of being FBF-friendly but if you want my vote, go write a song as effortlessly great as this. "Wooh Wooh Wooh Wooh Woe is me" is stuck in my head now. Thanks, Frankie!

Ken - Great drumming (I'm totally samplin' that and not crediting you at some point in the future ;) ) God, I hate the lyric. You're not the Chieftains (and I f*ckin' hate the Chieftains) - I do like the 'Bra bra bras' a lot, and it's a nice enough tune, and really well recorded, just the wrong format for a judgmental c*nt like me. Then I guess it's good being judgemental as a judge ... you get bonus points for being my favourite interpretation of the challenge this round ... we shall see if it saves you in my personal 'Nur Ein'!

Nick - more hippy folk crap? Just because there's a vaguely Celtic title? Doesn't seem that inspired. You'll never be The Pogues, you're nearer the Corrs than the Cranberries! Sorry, that little outburst was not aimed directly at you, just the lack of imagination that says 'Oirish!' Anyway, *ahem*, your song!!!! Actually this is a better approximation of that 'sound' than Ken's (sorry, Ken) - if that's your bag, super-happy for you. Just not for me. The BVs should be louder. Yeah, I just don't like this at all. It's not bad in any way, just not welcoming to anyone who doesn't want to create a Gaelic cliche ... harsh I know but time's a-pressing .... 'Lo, spectral visions rising' is just linguistic abuse ... so, no, didn't like it :)

Paco Del Stinko - Starts like a Pere Ubu song, played a bit fast (which is a great place to be). Loving that bass-line. And the Theremin impression. Sorry, Ken, you just lost 'must fun interpretation of the challenge' challenge. It's a nice song. Lacks a big chorus (again, Paco, *really*? Are you not paying attention to me or something? :) ) But it's interesting and catchy in other ways. Me like.

CC - yeah, slightly boring, TBH. This is not the way for you to go, for me. It's as always a great melody. You have an ear for a tune like not many others but the arrangement lets you down. I don't mind the multi-layered, just behind the music, take on the vocals (though I would ram it up big time if I was mixing), it's just the indulgence of the guitar dissapoints me. To be that far in the mix, the riffs should be much, much stronger. Sorry.

ATLM - More nu-jazz / blues claiming it's jazz noodlin'. I hate all jazz (except Miles Davies and Ornette Coleman) almost as much as I hate folk pop crossovers (cf. the rest of my reviews). This does nothing for me but I guess it doesn't need to, Mr Immune Man!
à tous les monsieurs
A New Player
Instruments: plucked strings, administration, coercion
Submitting as: à tous les monsieurs

Post by à tous les monsieurs »

j$ wrote:
ATLM - More nu-jazz / blues claiming it's jazz noodlin'. I hate all jazz (except Miles Davies and Ornette Coleman) almost as much as I hate folk pop crossovers (cf. the rest of my reviews). This does nothing for me but I guess it doesn't need to, Mr Immune Man!
Thanks for the listen guys!

Miles Davies! That's funny. The blacker, funkier member of the Kinks!