Nur Ein X Round Six "Outnumbered"

There can be only one.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Re: Nur Ein X - Round Six

Post by frankie big face »

furrypedro wrote:
frankie big face wrote:(see, I gave you the courtesy of the good stuff, too!)
Very good point, I was a bit mean with my compliments.
Not at all! I was just kidding. But thank you for the elaboration. You really heard everything in the mix which means I'm probably getting better at it.

Oh, and please do send it to all your lame married friends! I'd be curious to see what their reaction is. My friend Erik (àtlm) and I were discussing this and he said you may find your friends' kid posts more entertaining if they had thirteen kids. Because their lives would totally suck (was the implication, I believe)!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

j$ wrote: FBF _- things I don’t like about this song: the crying baby and the fact the story (to these ears) needs another verse to complete its progression. The subtle sarcasm builds really well to the tv show stuff and then .. kind of stops? Things I did like: everything else, especially the slightly discordant synth refrain and the beautiful chorus. The lyric made me think of ‘Outnumbered’ the British TV family sitcom of a few years back. However, this was good :)
The crying baby was a risk. The meta game player in me said leave it out but the artiste in me said "Mais non! C'est essentiel!" I had no idea there was a British sitcom called "Outnumbered" and now that I know this, I can't help but think my song sounds like a lame sitcom theme song a là The Rembrandts.

And Paul, you do not want that final verse. It doesn't end well. Something about a gondola ride and a defective cable high in the Austrian alps.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

furrypedro wrote:
Generic wrote:I don't know about "complexity," but the "aggressive" read on the lyrics probably comes from the fact that you refer to people in general as "idiots" and "fools" throughout. I don't think that's anything to hold against you, though.
I think I'm on Glen's side with this one. They definitely don't read as aggressive to me, more like the 2 protagonists of the song are dismissive or disenfranchised with those being described as "idiots". My 2¥.
I can see that.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

frankie big face wrote: ... had no idea there was a British sitcom called "Outnumbered" and now that I know this, I can't help but think my song sounds like a lame sitcom theme song a là The Rembrandts.

And Paul, you do not want that final verse. It doesn't end well. Something about a gondola ride and a defective cable high in the Austrian alps.
Trust me, it can't be as lame as the real theme tune -

Now I want to hear that last verse even MORE!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

noma wrote:You always say my lyrics are stupid *sigh*
Well, they always are. *sigh*
furrypedro wrote:noma wrote:A slightly less poetic 'translation' of that line you mentioned would be "And soon you'll find some horrible side to even the most harmless things".
So Nick's unweaved the rainbow for you there Johnny. I hope you're Proud of yourself.
Oh I don't have any problem with poetry, just people who try and pass off clunky writing as such :)

j$
Last edited by j$ on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

glennny wrote:Pete gets it :)
He does indeed ...gets it wrong! *flounces off screeching to himself with laughter*

j$
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

j$ wrote:
noma wrote:You always say my lyrics are stupid *sigh*
Well, they always are.
Thanks, Mr. Nice Guy. So maybe I should just stop trying and embrace stupidity in the most Jesus-shaving way possible, I guess.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Ha ha! I'm just being mean for comic effect. It's half my charm. hey, it's all my charm, really :)

I guess what I'm saying is I would never have got the reference if you hadn't explained it to me. I don't know how you'd sing that in such a way that would have got that interpretation across, TBF; I'm not prescribing how you should write, just saying that the most part of creativity, for me, is communication and so I'm always gonna pick up on that sort of thing. you're not the only McGonagall round these parts. Hell, you're not the only McGonagall left in this competition :)

Seriously, you say 'stupid' like it's a bad thing. You may see from my scoring that I don't think that, neccessarily ...
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

if I were judge this would be my ranking:

FBF
Nick
B.Lost
C'wellers
ATLM
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Oh, bugger. Yesterday, when I said I would do reviews today, I forgot that I'm stuck in an all day training session. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow afternoon.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Completely inadequate reviews:

monsieurs: I liked the angle, the idea. I enjoyed the song. It didn't grab me as well as the others. While I wouldn't mind listening again, it didn't make me reach for the replay button.

Balance: I was thinking your song last week was my favorite of yours. It isn't. This is. I had you ranked 1, 2 and 3 at various listening stages. Sitting here thinking about it after submitting my ranking and I'm already second guessing myself. This quite possibly is the best written song of the group. I literally delayed putting in my rankings because of this song. All I can say is in the tie breaking "which song would I want to listen again immediately after playing it once" you came in just every so slightly behind the Cavedwellers and Nick... at least for me. I wish you had posted the lyric. While I don't dwell on them, I do like reading through while listening to get a better feel for the song as a whole.

Cavedwellers: Your chorus pushed you up at least one spot on my list. Maybe two. I liked the intro, I liked the phrasing and while I didn't go look specifically at the rhymes you used, I enjoyed the construction of the lyric. I thought the verse was well done but it lacked the draw of the chorus. Sitting here listening I kept being drawn to your song to listen to again.

Frankie: Man, I love that chorus. Like Cave, I thought the verse was good but didn't match the chorus (melodically, sonically.) I didn't much care for the vocals (phrasing or tone or mix level or something) at the very beginning, but don't take that to mean they were bad. In fact, once the chorus kicks in and for the rest of the song I liked them. The lyric wasn't bad, either. But taken in comparison I think it is what ultimately put you behind in the rankings, at least for me. I could easily have had you second in my rankings so I'm being nitpicky in the extreme.

Nick: Your song grabbed me by the collar and wouldn't let go right from the start. The sound and the arrangement were spot on (especially toward the beginning) and it was the song I most wanted to hear again. I will say, however, if the song had been much longer it would have lost me, especially on repeated listens. I have a feeling that if I were to double the times played yours would have begun to slip down a bit. I liked the song, but it faded, every so slightly, in intensity toward the end. Better start than end, but no doubt a good song.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:Balance: I wish you had posted the lyric.
Oh fuck! I was about to smugly go and post a link to my lyrics until I saw that they're not there. I definitely tried to post them a couple of days ago, I blame internet bollocks. Thanks for the review and kind comments dude, but I think I would rather not have known that I slipped from 1st to 3rd in your rankings! :(

The lyrics are up now btw
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Wow! :o Just read the results and... I am taken aback (haha)! Big congrats to Cavedwellers and... see you in the final round! Nick vs. Cave, that is! (Interesting, considering who my DRC thread for today is about...)
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Congrats Nick! Loved your song well deserved advancement.

I loved your song, the odd time and your voice invoked a lot of what I love about Tool. Good job!

This will be a good fight. You've got a lot of guns! Good luck!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Congrats to Nick and the Cavedwellers! Best of luck in the finals!! Nur Ein!!!!!!!!!!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

furrypedro wrote:I think I would rather not have known that I slipped from 1st to 3rd in your rankings! :(
If it is any consolation (probably not,) the point totals might have changed, but the results would have been exactly the same had I gone with my alternate ranking.

Best of luck to Nick and Cavedwellers.

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

I think it's interesting that all of the eliminated artists ranked 1st on at least one judge's card while the Cavedwellers, who won the round, did not rank 1st on any! :shock:
à tous les monsieurs
A New Player
Instruments: plucked strings, administration, coercion
Submitting as: à tous les monsieurs

Post by à tous les monsieurs »

Look at those scores for the "odd time signature" round. 11, 13, 15, 17, 19. Carl Jung would be blown away with this synchronicity. What are the odds?!?

Anyway, congrats to Nick Cave. Good luck. I look forward to hearing your final songs.

It has been a pleasure to join you all in this game. Thank you to the judges and the hosts. Adieu.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

frankie big face wrote:I think it's interesting that all of the eliminated artists ranked 1st on at least one judge's card while the Cavedwellers, who won the round, did not rank 1st on any! :shock:
I noticed that as well. On the one hand that seems like maybe a quirk in the scoring. On the other, it seems (to me) to be exactly how the challenge should work. The songs that rank the highest (on average) across all the judges should be tallied (among) the highest. I think several Popes have been selected in similar fashion if my memory of ancient reading holds true.

j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

This is not the time or place to discuss the scoring system of Nur Ein. The winners have earned this and we move on to the final round. I have opinions (naturally) but this is not FIFA!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:I think it's interesting that all of the eliminated artists ranked 1st on at least one judge's card while the Cavedwellers, who won the round, did not rank 1st on any! :shock:
Back when Song Fight was still on a single-vote system, Spud often lamented that if there were a hypothetical song that everyone agreed was the second-best, that song would get zero votes.

Well, that's almost what happened here. All but one of the judges thought that Cavedwellers had the second best song (and in my opinion is was really close; I had them at #1 at first, then switched them with #2 after a short but agonizing deliberation). There was no consensus about the #1 slot (Nick got two judges to rank him in first place, the other three competitors topped one list each). So Cavedwellers got the win!

I'm really happy for you guys; it always seems like you've turned in really strong work and just barely missed out on winning a round. Great to see you emerge victorious and make it to the finals!

NUR EIN!!!!!!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Thanks to the judges!

We met the goal. The way the game works we want all of the judges to like our song. We had plenty of polarized rounds where we were somebodies favorite and somebodies least favorite. I listened to all the feedback the judges gave throughout the whole thing. We worked really hard on every entry. We're working hard on the Gods of war, then I realized I'm slightly dyslexic and the title is the Dogs of War. Someday I hope to write some lyrics that J$ likes and isn't too wordy for Frankie, but I will continue to do my best.

If the rules were different we might focus on pleasing a couple of judges in particular and letting comments of others go ignored. We have our work cut out for us. Nick is a monster. He is amazing, and I'm quite a fan. This will be a good fight.

NUR EIN!!!!!!!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers