Give us some (Love In The Time Of Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Give us some (Love In The Time Of Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz on the win. And thanks to everyone who reviewed.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

This was a super strong fight with super strong review presence. The best kind! And congratulations Phil!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Huge shout-out to the podcast. It's fantastically well done.

My wife and sons think its hilarious when y'all make fun of my style, too, so there's that.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Loving the podcast. I really wish I'd gotten a song into this fight, I love hearing from Alice and Brian!

Pleased that the bird aliens are not forgotten.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

I liked the podcast too, but we're reviewing it the way polite reviewers tend to review songfighters: "Good job!"

I have no problem with the two jerks, whose comments were reliably thoughtful. But if I were to review Alice and Brian the way they reviewed some of the entries, I would say that as people, they're not really my thing. I'm not the audience for it, I guess. Their style rubbed me the wrong way. Not my kind of reviewing. A lot about Covid; too Covid. Not enough about understanding what each artist cared about and was trying to do. Too much rectum.

When I review a genre that's not my thing, I just do it; I try not to make it all about me. But I liked some of the podcast, even if sometimes the banter felt like a Gross Tones synth solo.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

AJOwens - this isn’t podcastFight!, though - is it? :roll: :roll:
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

AJOwens wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 am
I have no problem with the two jerks, whose comments were reliably thoughtful. But if I were to review Alice and Brian the way they reviewed some of the entries, I would say that as people, they're not really my thing. I'm not the audience for it, I guess. Their style rubbed me the wrong way. Not my kind of reviewing. A lot about Covid; too Covid. Not enough about understanding what each artist cared about and was trying to do. Too much rectum.

When I review a genre that's not my thing, I just do it; I try not to make it all about me. But I liked some of the podcast, even if sometimes the banter felt like a Gross Tones synth solo.
This is excellent feedback, thanks! Reviewing songs is hard, it's often a challenge to get at why you do or don't like something, and it's easy to make it about yourself, claim genre bias, or basically spend a sentence or two saying not much of anything. I'm trying to get better at it myself, and I think working to understand what the artist cared about and is trying to do is solid advice.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Chumpy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:31 am
AJOwens wrote:

This is excellent feedback, thanks! Reviewing songs is hard, it's often a challenge to get at why you do or don't like something, and it's easy to make it about yourself, claim genre bias, or basically spend a sentence or two saying not much of anything. I'm trying to get better at it myself, and I think working to understand what the artist cared about and is trying to do is solid advice.
I find reviewing people’s songs much more difficult than writing actual songs. I even spent five years in art school, with weekly critique sessions, so I should be a lot better at reviews than I actually am.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Your podcast reviews of my stuff have always been honest and helpful. You've made me think a lot about the way I do vocals. It's obvious you put a ton of effort into it, and it's appreciated.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Hmm, reviewFight would be something? But then again I guess there's no expectation that reviews actually say something useful. To me? Yeah that's what I like in reviews, so I tend to try and offer at least some valid criticism even if I don't like the song at all. And there are some artists here who are perfectly fine musicians and songwriters whose stuff usually doesn't gel with me.

For example, I often find it kind of hard to review Pigfarmer's songs. Not because they're of poor quality -- the man can definitely come up with a good melody -- but the kind of stripped down, acoustic led folksy numbers he opts for have never been a genre that I care to listen to at all. But I usually at least try to pick out *something* that could have been improved or offer some kind of useful feedback (and if I can't find anything to say, usually I can comment on the mixing). And sometimes he writes songs that I absolutely love! I mean everyone loved Phil's entry this week based on the reviews, and it left me totally cold. Clearly it's not him -- it's me! I just think if you take the time to submit a song it's only fair to give people at least a few thoughtful sentences in return.

I don't know, "genre bias" is too often a way to say "I don't know what to say about this so I'm not going to really try". Maybe I'm sensitive to it because my own entries are perpetually on the wrong side of it -- I like the " dark" genres a bit, and the darkest stuff that gets traction on here are the "artsy lyrical sad songs" (owl is great at those). It could be I'm just not that good or my stuff is just polarizing. I don't know.

That said: I found the comments on my track hilarious. I'm still surprised so many people on here dislike stoner rock and grunge.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:23 pm
Jerkatorium:
Whoa, this is uncharacteristically quiet for y'all. Maybe it's going to bust into a modern loud mastered sound at some point, and this more dynamic sound is to fit the retro topic. I like the drum stick clicking part. Real fun song though. LOL at rhyming "embarrasing" with "George Harrison". I really want to know, that vocal vibrato, is that real or is that from the autotune...? It seems like it's very fast and has a very wide pitch swing. If it's artificial, it might sound less artificial if the speed and range were dialed down. If it's real, I guess it would take some vocal control to tone it down. Anyway, fun stuff, vote.
We were in a hurry to submit before deadline, and I forgot to run the final bounce through Ozone. This means it was submitted at pre-mastered volume which has a lot of headroom. That's my real vocal vibrato, which sometimes comes out spastic and pitchy. Sometimes I'll obsessively edit every pitch and tame the range swings, but this time I was careless.
glennny wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:11 am
Jerkatorium- Love in the Time of Beatlemania- This recording is oddly quiet for you guys. Super catchy song! 50’s song at the Hop is a little confusing for a Beatlemania song. I love all the instrumentation. Especially the drums. Sounds like the drums are a different direction than usual Jerkatorium. Guitar licks are hot! Totally enjoyable! Vote!
I think the idea is that the protagonist is a 50s rock dude who resents the mop-tops, this is his song. This was an excuse for me to use some oldies Rock & Roll drum patterns I had kicking around, which I'm stoked you liked!
Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:51 am
Jerkatorium: ... Oh, and I'm not a huge fan of the falsetto but it's part of the fun.
Me either, I cringe every time I hear them. I bet we would have picked up another couple of votes if we had just axed this section entirely, but hey, it's fun to try silly things.

Thanks for the reviews everyone!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:38 am
Chumpy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:31 am
AJOwens wrote:

I find reviewing people’s songs much more difficult than writing actual songs. I even spent five years in art school, with weekly critique sessions, so I should be a lot better at reviews than I actually am.
Reviewing is easy*. If you like a song - say so. If the song is shit - say so.

It is up to person who made it to work out why. Not the listeners job.

* and yes - I realise there is a certain irony in that coming from the lazy bastard who couldn’t be arsed writing reviews.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:48 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:10 am
OK Ill have a crack at reviews:

Jocko Homomorphism
The Quantifiers

Jesus fucking christ - these two are both fucking awful.. Just stop it

Ominous Ride - OK this is OK.

I think I need to re-address this reviewing thing and initially sort out the absolute crap.
Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:15 am
fuck

how does this work?
Maaaaaybe it's harder than you think?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Chumpy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:48 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:10 am
OK Ill have a crack at reviews:

Jocko Homomorphism
The Quantifiers

Jesus fucking christ - these two are both fucking awful.. Just stop it

Ominous Ride - OK this is OK.

I think I need to re-address this reviewing thing and initially sort out the absolute crap.
Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:15 am
fuck

how does this work?
Maaaaaybe it's harder than you think?
I Nailed it!! That’s all proper loud mouthed opinion. None of this “constructive criticism” crap.

The musicians job is to please people. If they don’t. They failed. They should never ever whine about “criticism”.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:48 am
I Nailed it!! That’s all proper loud mouthed opinion. None of this “constructive criticism” crap.

The musicians job is to please people. If they don’t. They failed. They should never ever whine about “criticism”.
The only difference is wanting to help or wanting to be a complete jerk. Explaining WHY you think it's crap or giving suggestions that would have made the song work better for you is appreciated. Giving an opinion, through the written word, with no context can be less than useless. Ain't no song gonna please everyone. (And if it comes close then it's usually decried for being too "commercial".)

All that being said, it's completely within your right to do it however you want.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Went morel hunting again. Still can't find shit.