Glowing and effusive per usual (Incandescent reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Glowing and effusive per usual (Incandescent reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Time for some warm fuzzies.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: Glowing and effusive per usual (Incandescent reviews)

Post by iVeg »

BSS - intro seemed a bit wandering. Really liked the chorus, and the keyboard part in the prechorus.
Cazaro Taro - From the opening, I could tell you were going for silly. You got there. Really liked the melodica solo!
Cookie Blue - a slow, gentle song. Haunting vocals. That high vocal on "spark" was very cool.
Cory Ag - gng - nice voice. Guitar solo seemed too up front, maybe some echo or reverb? Really like "I'm not Superman "
Holly Furlone -gng - love your voice, both on melody and harmony parts. Glad to hear that simple key part come in.
Ice Weasels - very electro, love the layering of parts. Liked solo and "All that's left is wreckage" part
Inflatablevegetables - me. I was happy with lyrics
Macaque Attack - loved the intro guitars, but synth seemed busy. Really liked your chorus.
Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio. Loved the bass intro. You had some great lyrics, well delivered.
Micah Sommersmith - congrats! Really liked the "wait for you". Chorus was heartfelt, but a bit over the top?
Paco del Stinko - Awesome intro and guitars. Loved your harmonies. Enjoyed the crazy chord progression at the end.
Roymond - gng - loved the chords. The "screw you in, turn you on" got attention, joules were too techy.
White Hats - great acoustic guitar, really liked your melody, too.
facebook.com/ivegband
zerotrickpony
A New Player
Submitting as: Zero Trick Pony

Post by zerotrickpony »

Here were my notes from giving each song exactly one listen, in this order. Apologies if these seem mean, overall I really liked the creativity of submissions this week.

ice weasels
Punchy with a nice driving sound. 8 bit noise is funky. Solid vocals and interesting lyrics. A favorite.

cory AG
simple boy-with-guitar sound. nice vocals and processing. lyrics are a little boring. guitar solo is a little too simple, needs more detail and/or more reverb to match the dreamrock sound of the rest of the mix.

Holly furlone
Accoustic one-guitar arrangement could not be simpler. Really strong vocals, great range, pitch, and interesting melody (like old indigo girls stuff?). Nice harmonic choral lines later in the song. The song was so nice to listen to I barely paid attention to the words. A little slow I guess.

Micah sommersmith:
Guitar+accordian/piano arrangement? Vocals are technically solid, on-pitch but a little too emphatically sarcastically-around-the-campfire in places for my taste. Opening the song lyrics in a sonogram technician's office was a bit offputting for me.

BSS:
Nice tones but guitar and vocals stumble along a bit too slowly in the verses. Chorus comes in with a nice punch, tho choral vocals pitchy and flat-sounding at times. Guitars mostly work but get a touch noodly at the end. Winceworthy rhyme of "obscelescence" with "incandescence".

Paco del stinko:
Fun, punky-classic rock hybrid sound, energetic, fast-paced arrangement. Vocals fit the punk style but are just on the edge of annoyingly non-melodic for me.

CazaroTaro:
Carnival performer sound is pretty annoying but self-consistent I suppose. I didn't make it to the end. Not a favorite.

The White Hat:
I guess if there is any thermodynamic concept that deserves its own lyrics, entropy is in the running. Vocals have a few little pitch problems here and there. Sounded like a live one-shot single-instrument recording, and was decent given that.

roymond:
Talk-sing-y vocals do not work for me. When you find yourself writing lyrics about energy saving home electronics, it might be time to reconsider your rather literal plan for the song lyrics.

Cookie blue:
Simple arrangement; gentle piano and slow, sweet vocal harmonies. A few small vocal pitch problems this time. I liked what of the lyrical writing I could follow. Song could have used a more distinct bridge or chorus to make it more interesting, maybe?

Inflatable vegetables:
Melody frequently wanders out of the lead vocalist's range leading to moderate-to-serious pitch issues. Can you tell that I am big on vocals.

Margret benson and the cheese trio:
I actually quite like the effects on the vocals, the quirky samples, and the sparse, staccato, jazz-club arrangement with the plucked whatever-that-was (cello? bass?) But the rap does not work, like really doesn't work. Boring rhythm, uninteresting lyrics, boring vocal style. Points for high attempted difficulty.

Macaque attack:
Really great intro; intriguing vocals, clean tones and crisp percussion. Dark, moody, driving chorus works very well except for a teensy pitch issue in the low notes. I am a sucker for this vocal sound, love it, love it. Not a lot of variation in the melody, and maybe a little too heavy on the space-tinkling sound effects in the bridge/outro. I get that other people might not be into this sound, but this one was my personal favorite.
Holly Furlone
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Holly Furlone

Post by Holly Furlone »

Zerotrckpony and Iveg, thanks for the reviews! Here are mine in order of how the submissions appeared on my screen...

BSS-opening guitar reminded me of the Psychedelic Furs. I really like that "lazy day at the beach" sound of the guitar. "We don't see the forest and we get lost in the trees." I like the way the chorus is arranged but I want to replace that spacey synthesizer sound with something thing else. Not sure what, just something less upfront. I like the almost overlapping vocals there.

Cookie Blue-I like the doubled over effect on the vocals. It would be cool to hear what that would sound like with a lowered key vocal match instead of the spot on double (if that makes sense). Nice piano work. The song ended just as I felt like it was building toward a key change.

Iveg-Cookie, this is the sort of "lowered key vocal match" I was trying to get at. Iveg, I really like the flow of your chorus. The organ in the background makes it hop! This was one ended so quickly; I was ready to hear more!
Ice weasels-fun. I like the way this sounds through my earbuds, the way you panned things, I guess? The quick break at 1:20 was a nice transition.

Micah Sommersmith- I like the sound of this song but the vocabulary used to convey the message, while beautiful and personal, felt kind of sterile compared to the feel of rest of the song. Your chorus is really nice.

Holly Furlone- That's me. the first "frozen fire" is pitchier than I'd like and I wish I had stopped the music for just a second in the last "I would wait for you..." but overall I'm okay with how this turned out.

Roymond-I love the sound of that guitar! I feel like this song could be used in an energy efficiency promo. Even the "let me screw you in, let me turn you on" part. Maybe especially that, hah :)

Paco del Stinko- Controlled chaos. This is really clean with a lot going on! I felt like it was going to end at 2:00 but after a couple of listens, I'm glad it didn't. I couldn't quite make sense of your lyrics but that probably says more about me than it does you.

The White Hat- oh, this was immediately my favorite bit of instrumentation. The way the lyrics were presented didn't do a lot for me but I really appreciate the musicianship.

Macaque Attack-cool! This is my favorite overall. Can we please trade songs? :)

Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio-love the standup. This is awesome. Vote!

CoryAG- I like your voice. Way to go for that high harmony! The pacing of this felt a little jerky. Did you play and sing (the main vocal) at the same time or did you record those on different tracks? The lead guitar part was nice and simple and maybe a little more up front than it needed to be? Overall it was pleasant to listen to.

CazaroTaro-Woo! You crammed a lot of long words into a short space! This is a fun song. The "hot hot" bits are my favorite part of the song.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio - I like the creative lyrics and play-on-words. The jazzy beat poetry/rap is a nice change of flavor in contrast to the rest of the songs in the lineup. There are a few moments in the song I felt like I couldn't tell if there was a swing beat or some of the timing was just a bit off but overall, very creative!

The White Hat - when the song first started up, I was really diggin the chord riff you put together but sadly I realized there was not much you added to the arrangement - no chorus, bridge, solo, or anything like that. Not to say you have to follow a specific song layout... Just was that the song didn't build - almost like it was an idea for a future song with all the lyrics finished.

Roymond - haha nice approach with the old classic 1st person lightbulb narration. Very nice chord progressions. I can tell how you wanted to build this song at the end but I really think it needed an extra layer or two to make it work. Good song nonetheless!

Inflatable Vegitables - sorry, I just wasn't keen on the execution of this one. The music was composed well but the sounds you used overlapped with your voice sound a bit like someone singing karaoke. Some of the low notes seemed a bit tough to hit for you too. Again, good composition, but just lacked in execution.

Micah Sommersmith - first off, loved the accordion solo about 2/3 into the song. Nothing made this song really stuck out to bring it above the competition but still well written and performed.

Macaque Attack - Everything seemes to be mixed well along with the vocals. Although there are some interesting electronic sounds, much of the melody is missing a bit of originality. I was hoping to hear a bit of a curve ball somewhere in the song. Still, well done.

Cory AG - This is very much like a typical Emo acoustic ballad song. It's not a bad thing but much of the type of lyrics and chord progressions used are very common. The electric guitar solos could have been polished up a little more. Sounds like you are working to get a good tone from your vocals. Keep it up :)

Berkeley Social Scene - This one has to be my fav so far. There isn't much I can think to say... That sleepy rock made me a bit tired but then the chorus uppercutted me out of my ZZZzzz. I'm still diggin it. Bravo!

CazaroTaro - The accordion solo was practically an N64 game jam. Love it. The song was totally hot hot.

Ice Weasels - I think you had a good start with the music but the vocals didn't layer quite the way I was hoping. Maybe more mid-range EQ and compression would help. The beefy ending of the song with the guitars was probably my favorite part.

Cookie Blue - I think the doubled up vocals worked well this go around. I do feel though like the song just didn't build upon itself to give it some progression. The structure was good, song a bit slow for my current mood but still like where it went :) Just wish it progressed a little more.

Paco Del Stinko - I'm diggin this jam because it has a type of nostalgic 4 track sound to me. Not my fav vocal performance from you during this go-around but much of the instrumentation is fun. That kick drum is a little bit too punchy for me though. Good jam overall!

Holly Furlone - This is the best vocal performance of the entries this week! The song was well executed. Although Feist pulled off the bedroom echo for her songs, I think for you, try to get closer to the mic or in a less echo room and you'll get better recording results (maybe throw up a blanket or two on the walls). Would have like to hear more than just the acoustic, but still well done :)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Jordan Seavers?!?! Welcome back! Did you submit a song under a pseudonym or something? I really enjoyed your entries from back in the day.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

Howdy and thanks! No submission for me this time but I've been jamming out to some of the old SF archives and thought it'd be fun to swing back by and see what's going on.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, well, nice to see you round these parts again. Glad you liked the BSS song.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Yes! Thanks Jordan Seavers! I'm also a big fan of your work! I think the other guys in BSS too. We'd all love to hear more music from you! Also, Nur Ein is coming up!

cheers!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Holly Furlone: The synth sounds between the choruses and in the final chorus are a welcome addition to the solo guitar. Pretty harmonies and singing. Interesting arrangement, one small verse, and two big choruses with a quiet interlude in between them. I appreciate the subtle POV shifts in the two choruses, but they don't really do much to alter the trajectory of the story, like say if the narrator and wanderer reversed the wanting/shining roles in the second chorus.

CazzaroTaro: Really, what's not to like!? It's fun, it rhymes, it's charming, it has an accordion solo, and it's finished in under a minute and a half. I love how everything drops out at 'Yes'.

Paco: Somewhere in an alternate universe this is the 'B' side of a Jim Steinman produced Dickies single. Is it bubble-gum punk, pop-punk, or just good old Rock & Roll? I don't much care, it's my favorite song of the fight. Sexual innuendo is so Rock & Roll. The punch line in the bridge is so good. I went from "Ok, this is fun song about sex" to "LOL WTF!?" in a heartbeat.

Micah Sommersmith: I don't have kids, and generally don't like 'em. It would have been easy for me to write this off as a sentimental dreck, but I didn't, I was moved. The arrangement really works for me, the simple drums, guitar, piano, soft accordion, and pretty BVs all create a nice backdrop for the vocals which convey the song's emotional content in a way that managed to bypass my cynicism and actually reach me.

Cory AG: Pretty, heartfelt, nice singing. I think the simple electric guitar parts would have been a lot more effective if they were right on time.

BSS: Dreamy panned guitar opener, don't get much of a read on the verse, but that chorus... I'm all about that chorus, boss.

Roymond: By the time I'd heard this, I flet like I'd reached my G&G limit for a session, but I soldiered on. I'd like to hear this song get the full Neil Diamond treatment. A literal lightbulb love song is pretty clever, and the lyrics are interesting and well written, I liked it in spite of myself.

The White Hat: Some of those pick strikes on the guitar strings make for some nasty high frequencies. I appreciate the performance and the playing, but damn, get some EQ up in here! I feel like the lyrics were interesting, but to quote Robert Pollard "This train goes nowhere."

Ice Weasels: Dig the electro bass, and of course casual swearing. To my ears, those synth strings are like string cheese, not super flavorful, but still pure cheese. I think you guys made the best use of the title "I miss that spark that lit me up / 'til I was incandescent". So often the title is ham-fistedly incorporated into SF songs, I appreciate when it's done deftly, and when it's part of a nice hook. The Cure guitars at the outtro add a lot. More guitars, less strings please.

Macaque Attack: Another standout in this fight. The first verse sets up the scene, and does so nicely, but the second verse is where the song really gets going. The reverent way you sing the names of those stars resonates with me. The vocal effect on the 'So far away' ending section I think is a bit much, but that's a minor nit.

iVeg: There is a lot right about this song, arrangement, lyrics, melodies, nothing else in the fight sounds like it. The instrumentation and some of the backup singing reminds me of some songs on Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man. Focus on the lead vocals. If it's not comfortable, change the key, or the melody. It's been an eye-opener for me to run pitch correction software on my lead vocal tracks to visually see what my ears weren't hearing.

Cookie Blue: Airy piano, sweet singing with some nice dynamics, it creates a nice feel. I agree with some other reviewers that it needs more of a sense of movement and some variation. I felt my attention wane towards the end.

Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio: Dr. Zoom comes over, consumes most of my diet coke and all my bananas while cackling to himself as he scrawls illegible lyrics on a yellow pad. He busts outs a few takes over a beat and as he's leaving he claps me on the shoulder and says "OK bud, make it sound good!"
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
GravityJohnson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Macaque Attack

Post by GravityJohnson »

Paco del Stinko - Certainly has the feel of The Jam about it in the bass and guitars. Really catchy and fun. The slow down and re-start works really well, especially as the song builds up again afterwards. Superb ending. Seems to me you aimed for a certain sound and style and hit it dead on, great work.

Cookie Blue - Sweet and atmospheric, very nice. Great sounding piano and lovely vocals. This could have been arranged differently where this was the intro and drums and strings came in to elevate the track, but that would have just been another option, and direction you took it is just fine. I really love this, great effort. A vote from me (for two weeks running).

Micah Sommersmith - Very nicely executed. Very nicely worded too. I like the unusual structure and, as others have said, the accordion solo is great. This is a really solid effort, great stuff.

The White Hat - Nice little track, it has a certain Simon & Garfunkel vibe. Some EQ and basic processing on the guitar might have helped a lot in terms of production, but as a live track it's quite compelling. I'd be very happy to hear this played in my local pub.

Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio - Kinda cool. Nice bass. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other for this. It seems pretty well executed for the style it's aiming for, so it that respect, nice one!

Berkeley Social Scene - Nice, real nice. Some slightly jarring wording and some really great wording! I think there is some improvements that could be made in the production, but overall this is a really cool, solid track. Good work!

Ice Weasels - Bass and drum work executed really well. Pretty catchy throughout, but the end section when the guitar comes in seems elevate the track a fair bit.

Cory AG - Nice voice and delivery. Basic guitar work with a few timing issues, but the overall feel of the track is nice. The backing vocals are pretty well done too. Good stuff.

Inflatable Vegetables - A funky little 80's pop song. Kinda liked it, very catchy. I really like the ending too.

Holly Furlone - Firstly, what a voice! Superb. Nice song, really enjoyed the wistfulness of this. The synth really works well in the track, although it's slightly off putting that it sounds so clean against the 'bedroom recorded' live feel of the song. (P.S. - Holly - Sure, happy to trade :)

CazaroTaro - Still grinning here. Fun and ridiculous (in a good way).

Roymond - Really cool chorus, I think that works very well. I'm not quite sure what to make of this song, I found myself singing it 24 hours after first hearing it, so it clearly made an impact. However, there are bits of it that I thought were quite jarring. The "...your incandescent glow" at the end of the verses I found quite off putting in terms of delivery, and the 5k/3K/2700 verse I don't think works that well. The chorus is just so damn good though, overall I think I really like this quirky offering. It's like a very slightly flawed diamond, I'm voting for it!

Some great sounding stuff this week. Well done to one and all.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

glennny wrote:Yes! Thanks Jordan Seavers! I'm also a big fan of your work! I think the other guys in BSS too. We'd all love to hear more music from you! Also, Nur Ein is coming up!

cheers!
Thanks! :). I'm really hoping to knock out something for this upcoming fight but it's been 10 years since I last submitted something and sadly, I'm a little older and a bit more busy than I used to be... so we shall see. I do have to say that coming back and seeing some of the old veterans staying consistent with their Incredible SF submissions definitely makes me a bit jealous.
Last edited by jseavers05 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ice weasel
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: tambourine, egg, casio SA39, melodica, guitar
Submitting as: Ice Weasels

Post by ice weasel »

just me this time.

berkeley social scene - nice chill intro. kinda (late-era) talking heads lyrics. chorus energy rocks. pace was a little slow but overall i really liked this one, even the guitar solo.
cazarotaro - polka sound? i want a beer. kinda jokey but really well put together. honestly, the jokey submissions are never my cup of tea, but the "she was hot! hot!" line is sticking in my head, so this is above par.
cookie blue - beautiful lush piano sound. great vocals. layering really works. "we've known for ages" is a great line. damn, this is excellent. i have nothing else to say. i don't even miss the egg.
cory ag - great voice. this is really sweet -- so sweet that i would ditch the "love you dad" at the end because it pushes into saccharine territory. simple arrangement works.
holly furlone - the guitar and especially voice sound a bit hollow, far away. another great voice! i would add another instrument to give variety in the last 3rd, because of the length. pleasant. not into the keyboard lingering.
ice weasels - me.
inflatable vegetables - ooh an even faker bass. the instrumentation annoys me but that chorus is really hooky, very nice. voice can't quite carry it off. the disco chorus, though, loving it.
macaque attack - the tinkles and crunch are nodworthy. vocals are great in the verse, get muddled in the chorus. i would layer more vocals (or pads? something), to punch it up more. songwriting A+. good way to end it!
margret benson and the cheese trio - haha surprisingly toe-tapping. clever lyrics. string thing (violin?) adds much-needed texture but is a bit thin sounding.
micah sommersmith - more clever lyrics. melodica? mandolin? both keys to my heart, but the melody lacks energy. nice way to introduce the title, and the solo improves the song quite a bit. in fact, i would have let the solo take us out.
paco del stinko - wait, i don't hate this! oh, but i hate the chorus. whew. i was worried there for a moment. backing music is impeccable. fake ending had me hopeful. not a fan of the lyric concept.
roymond - opening act at a coffee shop. lyrics aren't working for me, or the verses. chorus has a nice hook tho.
the white hat - A+ doing something different. sounds live. catchy! it sounds a little rushed but conceptually one of my favorites.
"ice weasels: move to the 1980 Philippines and you would be a huge hit"
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

1st listen, Digging Cookie's lyrics. like every thing and presention of Mac. Attack.
Kip Lightning
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Bfd3 with roland td4
Submitting as: Lighting Shark

Post by Kip Lightning »

I actually wrote and recorded a song that sounded not bad for this but I used the word iridescent, ha! I saw someone else did something similar but I was only a few minutes from cutoff (in classic Lightning Shark fashion) and I couldn't change it in time. In retrospect I think I should have done it anyhow, not like I would get fined or anything.....right?
Kip Lightning
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Bfd3 with roland td4
Submitting as: Lighting Shark

Post by Kip Lightning »

Ill review this week, why not.

Holly Furlong: Great song, great melody, harmonies---kind of Ryan Adams-ish in a good way. Likely my favorite, killer start to reviewing.

Paco: Your voice is polarizing. Sometimes you love it and dont. Maybe not so much this time, but at least its unique sounding----and I mean that sincerely----you can sing---but its unconventional---so that tends to not always hit. I think I have the same kind of thing going on with my voice. Great guitar work, arrangement as usual, killer tight ending. Damn, people stepped it up since I've been involved! Maybe my last minute 45 minute writing/recording wont cut it anymore!

Cookieblue: Very pretty, would be nice in a movie. a little repetitious but hey, sounds nice. Singing sounds very sweet and nice.

Inflatable Vegetables: Not bad sounding, vocals need a bit of work/enthusiasm---nice synths but a little buzzy---not in a good way. This song would sound great sped up and more disco'd. Kind of tough after the first three killing it. I wouldnt want to go after them either, honestly.

cazarotaro: Very odd. Explain this one to me. Funny! Not my fav but catchy as crap.

Whitehat: Nice guitar but I have a friend that plays alot like this and it drives me nuts for some reason, so my review may be biased against you, ha. Nice song, not my bag but undeniably a solid effort. Geez, I seriously need to bring my game next time.

micahsommersmith: Professional sounding, well written. I imagine there is a large group of people that would love this song, not me though. Really well enunciated singing is not my favorite. Really though, and not just trying to be nice, this is legitimately a solid effort. Crazy, I dont think I have ever heard this many good songs in a row, hopefully Im not jinxing it. Great job

roymond: Guitar playing is on, the singing is on and off. Melody is ok. This is the first one that was maybe a bit of a miss for me. Sorry man

margretbensonandthecheesetrio: Cool sounding upright. Nicely mixed. Really liked it until the change(chorus?), kind of got a bit discombobulated.

iceweasels: definitely not my bag. Kind of Pet Shop boys-ish I think. My mother in law would love it, so move to the 1980 Philippines and you would be a huge hit.

coryag: Wet wet breathy vocals. Singing is ok, this seems like a song I would have written when I was younger. Probably would have gotten me laid. Thats the point, right?

berkeleysocialscene: These guys own songfight right? I always think vocals are a little off on these, sometimes more sometimes less. Always feels like a few tweaks away from a good song but thats kind of what this whole thing is, right?

macaqueattack: Nice start, well produced. What inspires you? Well done.

Jeez, a huge step up from the last brief time I was a player. Ill try to do it this week, but it'll likely be a quick one as it often has to be----yes, thats what she said.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

@ Kip: Post it now, in this thread?

@everyone - thanks for reviews. working on pitch a bit this week. But the app had me hitting 100 on one warmup, where I could plainly see I was coming into notes flat or sharp, so that's not very helpful. :(
facebook.com/ivegband
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

iVeg wrote:@ Kip: Post it now, in this thread?

@everyone - thanks for reviews. working on pitch a bit this week. But the app had me hitting 100 on one warmup, where I could plainly see I was coming into notes flat or sharp, so that's not very helpful. :(
I listened to he song again and it sounds like you hit a lot of the notes fairly well. There were a few hiccups here and there (which happens to us all except Holly) but I think that maybe the combination of the phase of the panning keyboard along with the phasing and EQd vocal effect might have made the singing and accompaniment mash together a little weird (in a pitchy way).
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Kip Lightning wrote: iceweasels: move to the 1980 Philippines and you would be a huge hit.
Iceweasels! you've found your sig file quote at last.
These guys own songfight right?
Song Fight owns THEM.
Always feels like a few tweaks away from a good song but thats kind of what this whole thing is, right?
Speak for yourself, bucko.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ice weasel
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: tambourine, egg, casio SA39, melodica, guitar
Submitting as: Ice Weasels

Post by ice weasel »

jb wrote:
Kip Lightning wrote: iceweasels: move to the 1980 Philippines and you would be a huge hit.
Iceweasels! you've found your sig file quote at last.
Ooh, done and done!
"ice weasels: move to the 1980 Philippines and you would be a huge hit"
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Berkeley Social Scene - typical BSS brilliance setting a groove, a moving bridge and then rocking the chorus.
CazaroTaro - cute and spunky.
Cookie Blue - beautiful. more dynamic than the simple arrangement lets on.
Cory Ag - again. I like that the guitar solos are so understated, but I find the apathetic vocals and straight strumming get very tired very early.
Holly Furlone - love these keys, so subtle and complimentary. your vocals are so sweet...will they become aggressively jaded after SFL NYC? what's happening to the fidelity moving to mp3? it's 48kHz and 192kb/s, so this shouldn't sound so crunched, even if it's dated 1935(!). you deserve better :)
Ice Weasels - i can't help thinking pet shop boys. i'd so love to hear this with a real drummer, it's got a nice energy to it.
Inflatable Vegetables - you might want to move this up a step or two, your lower range is being challenged. i like the chorus.
Macaque Attack - awesome lyrics. takes me to orion with all i can drink at the open bar. nice nice.
Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio -
Micah Sommersmith - very touching tribute to the child within. obviously you weren't quite as freaked out as i was the first time, but i didn't have songfight then to help shape my experience. nice lighting.
Paco del Stinko - great diversions and artfully distracted chord changes. your romp always lights up a room.
roymond - this is about sex. not sure how that got lost. was it the joules?
The White Hat - what a great riff.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Berkeley Social Scene - Solid but sleepy groove. The energy picks up a little in the chorus, but not enough to keep me engaged. Lyrics don’t have much going for them. Nice backing vocals in the pre-chorus.

CazaroTaro - Melodically all that is really going for this one is the chorus and the reed solo, but the backing track is pretty fun.

Cookie Blue - Very satisfying chord progressions, especially moving into the chorus, and great vocals - that high harmony on the word “spark” at the end of the second chorus is perfect. My main complaint is that it sits at the same level throughout - I was really hoping for some percussion or guitar or something to land after the first chorus, but alas.

Cory Ag - The surprise guitar and surprise harmony vocals were great. More surprises please!

Holly Furlone - I wish the recording quality was better (the guitar has a little “underwater” sound) and the guitar had a little more variation to it, but the vocals and lyrics are excellent - I love the inflection on “light” of “incandescent light.”

Ice Weasels - I like the ambient electronic production and the effects on the vocals. Nice chorus too! Overall, a great combination of relaxing and driving.

Inflatable Vegetables - Solid production and melody. The mean-spiritedness of the vocals was a little off-putting for me.

Macaque Attack - Great riff to start things off. Nice sound throughout. The lyrics are great and evocative, and the music nicely supports the idea of yearning to escape limitations. My only complaint is in the ending section where I think the song runs out of steam a little and the vocals have some awkward phrasing issues. Otherwise it’s great though!

Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio - I enjoyed the backing track - simple yet interesting, especially the violin. Less wild about the vocals, though they have their moments. “In can, descending order” got stuck in my head for a while.

Micah Sommersmith - It’s me! Thanks for the comments on this one. Indeed, my wife and I are expecting and we had our ultrasound right around when this title was announced so things just fell into place. I’m quite happy with this one, though on repeated listening I can definitely hear where the articulation/diction criticisms are coming from. Blame it on too much choral singing.

Paco del Stinko - A fun intersection of classic pop, surf rock, and some other surprises. The lyrics have some great lines but also a few that seem to have too many or too few syllables, or are just oddly accented. Great guitar playing as always.

roymond - The melody on “incandescent glow” is a great hook, and the the leap upwards at the end of each line in the chorus is nice. There’s not much else that holds my interest musically. Your voice sounds great.

The White Hat - I love this one. The guitar playing is great, your voice sounds great, it’s a great melody and the lyrics are excellent. It doesn’t feel incomplete to me at all, as someone whose songs also tend towards the shorter side (except for this week). You present your musical and lyrics ideas and then get out of the way, letting them linger with the listener.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni