I loved your song! (Baked Out Of My Gourd reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

I loved your song! (Baked Out Of My Gourd reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Or maybe you'll have paranoid delusions instead...
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: I loved your song! (Baked Out Of My Gourd reviews)

Post by j$ »

Speaking of which, I sent my song in on the 18th but it doesn't seem to have made it to the front page so you're all spared the embarrassment of having to listen to it :) No doubt my incompetence shone through once more! Should you want it to hear it, I've attached it here. NSFW!

j$
Attachments
johnnycashpoint_boomg.mp3
(5.09 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Levittdown

Post by Levittdown »

j$ wrote:Speaking of which, I sent my song in on the 18th but it doesn't seem to have made it to the front page so you're all spared the embarrassment of having to listen to it :) No doubt my incompetence shone through once more! Should you want it to hear it, I've attached it here. NSFW!

j$
Me too but mine was sent on the 17th. I feel less left out.
"Cool tune! Love the "Teethmarks won't fade away" hook, wish I'd thunk of that one"
Jack Logan
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

No sign of either of your emails in the fightmaster inbox (or junk or trash folders). :( I wonder wtf is up with that...? The submission via email thing is annoying enough for me as an admin when it's reliable, but we seem to have this missing email problem regularly lately. Aargh! Anyway, j$, I'll have your song posted shortly, Levittdown, please send yours again or post it here to the boards, and I'll get it posted.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Hi. My file didn't show up either for some reason. Sent it Thursday the 14th under the name "The Go-Kups."

Here it is:
gokups_boomg.mp3
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 217 times
PS. Maybe I got the naming convention wrong? It's been awhile.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Levittdown »

Lunkhead wrote:No sign of either of your emails in the fightmaster inbox (or junk or trash folders). :( I wonder wtf is up with that...? The submission via email thing is annoying enough for me as an admin when it's reliable, but we seem to have this missing email problem regularly lately. Aargh! Anyway, j$, I'll have your song posted shortly, Levittdown, please send yours again or post it here to the boards, and I'll get it posted.
Thank you sir! I've sent two emails so when I'm at my 'puter thing I'll try again from another email account.
"Cool tune! Love the "Teethmarks won't fade away" hook, wish I'd thunk of that one"
Jack Logan
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Lunkhead wrote:! Anyway, j$, I'll have your song posted shortly, Levittdown, please send yours again or post it here to the boards, and I'll get it posted.
Cheers, sir. In retrospect, probably not worth the effort but hey! If it helps at all, I got my 'Nigerian Prince' confirmation e-mail a minute or so after I sent it, so I can't really suggest where it went wrong?

j$
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Levittdown »

Resent, this time from yahoo instead of gmail
Jack Logan
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Levittdown »

And in case that doesn't work...

https://www.mediafire.com/?6xveb5z9dlx0pr8
Jack Logan
Aahz
A New Player
Instruments: Bass, guitar, steel gtr, maracas, castanets, raw fish, MPC 1000, anything that makes noise
Recording Method: Whatever gets it down - mostly Logic with an Onyx 1640i on an iMac
Submitting as: Aahz, Longfellow Street, Saint Cale, Gyre

Post by Aahz »

Emails to me were apparently bouncing too - maybe gmail's got gremlins.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

gramparsons wrote:Hi. My file didn't show up either for some reason. Sent it Thursday the 14th under the name "The Go-Kups."

Here it is:
gokups_boomg.mp3
PS. Maybe I got the naming convention wrong? It's been awhile.
No sign of your email either. :/ Curse this email submission process. Anyway, I'll get your song added too.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Levittdown wrote:Thank you sir! I've sent two emails so when I'm at my 'puter thing I'll try again from another email account.
Got it this time, will post shortly.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Should I email again as well, or is the attachment OK?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The attachment's fine, easier in fact. Thanks!
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by genecawley »

Thank you.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, Levittdown and The Go-Kups are up too. Sorry for the glitches folks. Sadly so far nobody seems to have any ideas about what might be happening with the email. We'll keep looking into it.
Levittdown
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Levittdown »

Lunkhead wrote:OK, Levittdown and The Go-Kups are up too. Sorry for the glitches folks. Sadly so far nobody seems to have any ideas about what might be happening with the email. We'll keep looking into it.
Many thanks!
Jack Logan
Aahz
A New Player
Instruments: Bass, guitar, steel gtr, maracas, castanets, raw fish, MPC 1000, anything that makes noise
Recording Method: Whatever gets it down - mostly Logic with an Onyx 1640i on an iMac

Post by Aahz »

Hola and howdy, been a long time.

GoKups - fun and crunchy. Like the raw drum sound. I like the delay tails on the vocals; they'd be more effective brought up louder and used more sparingly instead of all the time. Good stuff.

Paco Del Stinko - More fun and crunchiness! This one's my favorite story.

Berkeley Social Scene - nice mellow groove, love the electric piano. I think I saw this person the last time I was in Haight. Same story with the heavy reverb vocal part, could be a lot more emphasized - louder and EQ the verb, roll off the lows - instead of making the vocals just seem to go far away for a minute. Nice harmonies in the chorus.

Johnny Cashpoint - I like the 2nd synthy solo bit and the wavery Farfisa sorta sound. Song just kinda meanders but cool sounds. Weird 80's almost Depeche Mode-y-ness I find myself sorta liking and sorta not.

Macaque Attack - Vocalist's style reminds me of the Psychedelic Furs. Fun pop. Vocals are a bit pitchy on choruses. I like the sounds at the end. Like it.

James Owens - Of course I like this one, it's a lot like my own. :) Nice guitar licks. A little slap-back delay on the vox would sit this right in the genre. Dig it.

TBD - Could be fun if the mic wasn't distorting. Ugh. Gain-staging = important. Next.

Sly Eli - Nice enough guitar playing but poorly recorded or mixed. Roll some lows off the acoustic guitar and low mids from the vocals to clean things up and give it a little sparkle. Keep working on the vocals, pleasant voice but pitchy on sustained notes.

Aahz - me. Happened to look at Songfight online and saw I had two days left, hadn't done a fight in years, so…

I really love hearing about what gear and techniques people are using to record and how they approach the limited spaces we usually have available. I know guys like BSS have a nice practice space but I'm always having to hack random household spaces into something useful. :) So I'll put some info here and I'd love to hear what y'all are all doing.

The BOOP-DEEK drums throughout are a Volca Beats, a nod to JJ Cale's original "Call Me The Breeze". Intended to do more drums but ran outta time, of course, was already over deadline, blah blah blah. Elec guitars (50's Silvertone lap steel, Epi Dot) recorded through a Blues Jr and an SM57. Acoustic guitar was a stereo pair of AT2035s in XY at the 12th fret, vocals a single AT2035. Fender Jazz bass direct in. Recorded to Logic through a Mackie Onyx1640i. Mixed with Logic's included plugs and an impulse response set from an old Lexicon verb. "Mastered" with Ozone. Recording space was the unfinished attic above a garage. I was pretty pleased with how the room sounds even with minimal sound treatment (bass trap panels behind the mics) - recording in box shaped rooms sucks, this room has angled walls (the roof!) and no drywall hung. I tend to record by making three or four complete passes of the song on whatever instrument and comping bits from each take. Oh, and somehow I totally spaced and wrote it as "Stoned" instead of "Baked" - I think it was an unconscious nod to Johnny Cash… or something.

Levittdown - Same thing as Sly Eli, nice enough guitar playing and song but muffled. You can clean recordings like this up a lot by rolling off lows and dipping low mids. Can give vocals some punch back by boosting around 120hz. Acoustic guitars are like pianos, more information across the whole frequency spectrum than one would expect and if you don't roll off the lows and perhaps low mids they fight with vocals and muddy things up a lot. Make vocals sound less nasal and strident by dipping 1-2k. Can barely hear drums. I think there are drums?

Jerkatorium ft Micah Sommersmith - They Might Be Giants! 'Nuf said, this is great fun and recorded well. Love the story, this one and Paco are pretty much tied with me for fun stories. Great one, my fave this time around. Whee!
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Aahz wrote: I really love hearing about what gear and techniques people are using to record and how they approach the limited spaces we usually have available.
There's a thread in Monkey Business for studio photos.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9454&p=189694&hilit=studio#p189694

Dunno if there's already a thread somewhere for describing your gear.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by genecawley »

TBD - Great rockin' performance (I assume it was performed live). The lyrics are really clever (love the culinary angle) and to the point. AND it's a great recipe. Who could ask for anything more?

Paco del Stinko - Really loved this one. Great hook, harmonies and lead guitar tone/solo.

Berkeley Social Scene - This had a kinda Steely Dan meets 10cc feel to it (and I mean that as a compliment). Love the keyboard work as usual. This is not a test, but you passed with flying LSD-induced colors anyway.

The Go-Kups - What can I say? First attempt in a very long time. A little rusty, but we finished it, dammit!

Aahz - Great song, production and nice slide guitar.

Levittdown - Kind of garage band Jimmy Buffet feel here. The sounds of turning pages is a nice touch.

Sly Eli - "All of this shrimp are making me feel limp." Great line. Really good, clever song.

James Owens - Another great, country-tinged song. Liked the seemingly-culinary-but-not-really approach. Great playing and arrangement.

Macaque Attack - Another great performance/production. Nice subtle piano. Great stuff.

Johnny Cashpoint - Loved the synth lines. Another solid song.

Jerkatorium feat. Micah Sommersmith - Great hook and tempo. Almost like a zydeco thing going on here with a sea shanty flavor (if that makes any sense). Very interesting.

Wow. After re-listening to them all, I've decided to vote for Paco del Stinko. It definitely was not an easy decision.
Aahz
A New Player

Post by Aahz »

There's a thread in Monkey Business for studio photos.
Yeah, but who uses the same stuff all the time? :) I'm not particularly into "hey, look what I got" I'm more into "Hey, this is what I had lyin' around that I used on this song." I've never recorded with the steel I built out of parts that were lyin' around the store but dang it was fun to do it here. What'd you find yourself using on this one? Enquiring minds wanna know...
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Re: BSS, we do have a practice space, which has drums, amps, guitars, and a real Rhodes, but some of us also track stuff at home where things get a little more random sometimes. I just got a Yamaha Reface CP keyboard so I used that for the keys for this BSS song. I have a Volca Beats too, Aahz, it's a super fun drum machine. I enjoyed the contrast between your acoustic/country vibe and the lo-fi drum machine in your song. I imagine a country bar band but with a robot stomping its foot and slapping its knee instead of a drummer...