Sprung a leak? (Check Your Pressure reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Sprung a leak? (Check Your Pressure reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Time to let the air out of your hopes and dreams of winning a fight. :P
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Sprung a leak? (Check Your Pressure reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Pepper Jane's entry has been added. Please remember to send your songs as MP3 files, NOT any other format (no .m4a files, no .wav files, no .wma files, etc. etc.).
GravityJohnson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Macaque Attack

Post by GravityJohnson »

Afternoon all. A few quick thoughts from me:

Meister Matt - I really like this musically, but I feel it's somewhat wasted given the vocal in it. This could have been comfortably doubled in length if it had a decent vocal to go with it. Love the guitar sound. This has a Breeders feel about it.

Paco del Stinko - A slightly different feel this week, Mr Paco, but every bit as catchy. This is really great. It has a certain manic quality to it, particularly when the trademark guitar solo kicks in, but the section that makes the song is the middle bit because that nicely sets up the guitar solo and end section. Really great. My favourite of yours from the last few weeks.

Vinegar Pie - Not bad at all. Kinda nice in an early 70's light rock kinda way. In my opinion this track doesn't quite burst into life, I feel it could have done with a gradual build up of instruments, possibly some strings too, to build it into a much richer epic ending. But still, pretty good stuff, an enjoyable listen.

The Grim - This is pretty cool. The vocal is excellent for this style of track. Pretty much kept me interested right through until the "Check your pressure" final section got a little repetitive for my liking. That said, this is very well put together and produced. Great stuff!

Pepper Jane - I always look forward to a Pepper Jane track, always nice guitaring and excellent vocals. This track has both of those qualities but, in my opinion, maybe falls slightly short of the last few Pepper Jane entries in terms of the song structure and melody. Maybe it's just that you've set a very high bar with the previous few entries. :D That said, I've listened to this several times and I'm still enjoying it. Nice one.

We Spelled It M E A T - Not bad, sort of a B52's style track. The recording is really quite poor, and that's doing it no favours. I'm feeling it's a little too repetitive, particularly in the chorus.

N.M.D.T. - Clean and crisp in the recording and mixing, and slick production. Vocals are delivered very well. Under the "check your pressure" chorus section, I assume it was intentional to have the heart-beat sounding drum and the church bell, that's a really nice touch. I think you've aimed at a style here and hit it precisely. Excellent work.

Macaque Attack - That's us.

Good work one and all. See you next fight :)
secretspiral
A New Player
Submitting as: Vinegar Pie

Post by secretspiral »

The Grim ::: great production. I like the guitar riffs when the drums drop out and how it gets filled out when everything comes back in. my favorite part is the slower ending bit with the strings? synth pads? in the background.

Macaque Attack ::: this is my favorite of the bunch. I like the spaced out atmospherics with enough guitar/percussion to keep it moving. very British vocals. they work nicely with this style.

Meister Matt ::: reminds me of Stereopathetic Soulmanure era Beck.

NMDT ::: I like the first "check your pressure" section where it gets a bit quiet and you can hear the heart beat drum and the church bells.

Paco del Stinko ::: really great mix. I like the face melting guitar solo. interesting song, lots of energy. the bridge section with the synth (before the guitar solo) is a bit surprising, I like the contrast.

Pepper Jane ::: nice intimate lo-fi style. I like the vocals. pretty guitar. some interesting lyrics too.

Vinegar Pie ::: (that's me) there are some things I like about it, but with more time I would have made some changes.

We Spelled It Meat ::: nice. sloppy and lo-fi but it's a pretty catchy song. nice energy and some funny lyrics too. I like it.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

The Grim - My buddies, once upon a time, would have called those Voivod chords to start the tune. I thought Chavez. Whatever. I like the arrangement here and terrifying chromatic freefall especially. Great vocal work, I hope that a lot of it is microphone technique. Guns and religion: no thanks.

Macaque Attack - Fitting mood after the Grim! I like the keys over the guitar. I guess it is over, as they feel cloud-like or something. They really change the texture of the song. Imagine a jangly 12 string guitar in their place. That would work with the tasty pop of the song but perhaps be more predictable. I think the narrator must be on Valium or something to remain so mellow around the fist clencher. Lullaby for someone near exploding. Very nice, could be winner.

Meister Matt - I like this a lot, really, but it's missing the reckless abandon to make it truly great. Weirdness factor is all there, esp. that mumbled ending and the "Ah" chorus. Wonky guitar could be tuned better and still play those parts. Oh man, do this live in a garage and resubmit. And break back into song after the mumble part. That would be kickass.

N.M.D.T.
- This is very well put together but seems to run out of things to say too quickly. Excellent delivery esp. the second vocalist. The lines about "do you copy" and all that are good but yeah, you're asking for trouble with that tough guy attitude. Work up some more verses for the second half that are as good as the first half.

Paco del Stinko - All fuzz lead section. Ha! Bit much, perhaps. There are actually low-end keys buried in that part as well panned way left and right. If somehow interested.

Pepper Jane - I like this but man, I feel like I should open a vein while burning a low candle while listening. And no, that major chord to resolve at the end doesn't make it all ok! You sound like a young voice wise beyond her years. Don't misunderstand, please, I do like this but it's very moody and dark. Which is fine and all, just sometimes, you know.

Vinegar Pie - I like how the song blossoms as it becomes more full. I like the start of the bridge but it kind of wanders off a bit after the start, I really though it was going to take everything even higher. It does elevate at the end though, even with the fade. Pleasant melodies, good work.

We Spelled It M E A T - The pressure of breakfast decisions indeed. I totally dig this, esp. after it gets going. This could survive just as is or with a fuller band treatment. Drums start to rev as it goes along with the near Nails vocal delivery. This could go on for longer than it does and not overstay its welcome. Call and response during the chorus would add to the party flavor, if there were more than two people at the part that is. Fun.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.