Where's That Damn Remote? (Turn Off Your TV Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Re: Where's That Damn Remote? (Turn Off Your TV Reviews)

Post by the panna cotta army »

stateshirt wrote: It's a Wurlitzer 200A.
equally nice

stateshirt wrote: It's a Groove Tubes GT66 mic I got on clearance at Guitar Center about 10 years ago! Not the greatest but I've gotten used to it.
glad to see its still working well. My pair of GT33s have both gone kaput
BobandtheBoggles
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard, Jaw Harp, Concertina, Banjo
Recording Method: Focusrite/GarageBand
Submitting as: Bob and the Boggles

Post by BobandtheBoggles »

Turn Off Your TV Reviews:

Jerkatorium: I'm digging the backing vocals. Nice harmonies. The rockabilly style is fun. Button-Shut-in is a cool rhyme. Good tone on the guitar solo. I guess my main criticism would be that the lead vocal sounds very separate from the rest of the song. It sounds a little canned and isolated compared with the other vocals which are rich and full. Otherwise, nice.

Pepperjane: Your vocals are nice. I like the minimalism. The recording of the vocals leaves something to be desired. Theres a lo-fi hiss happening in the background that takes focus away from the voice. This does not see to happen with the guitar. I wonder if the guitar is plugged in and the vocals are sung into an internal mic? Otherwise, a touching little ditty.

Bob and the Boggles: What I came up with in a day off of work. Love it or leave it, its from the heart like everything I do.

Luntar: Wish the vocals were turned down a little bit. Turning the volume down makes the instrumentation too quiet to hear. The bass is nice and I want to hear more. Decent for a short one. Reminiscent of one of those little segues on Crooked Rain by Pavement.

Pigfarmer: Nice guitar tone. I have to get a line in for mine instead of just a mic. Sounds so rich when you can hear those natural overtones. You sing like Daniel Johnston, which is cool. Unfortunately, your lyrics aren't as powerful. Just comes off a little tongue-in-cheek, which is too bad because I think the instrumentation was there to make something smooth and heartfelt.

Truth: Too much high-end on the vocals. Maybe my headphones are just too sensitive or my wine-filled ears can't handle high-pitch vocals at the moment. Catchy chorus. I like the way the piano hits the rhythm right on time. Who tunes their ukulele anymore? :p

The Pannacotta Army: Nice laid back dig. Pretty basic songwriting. It's kinda like a David Gray song, which is nice sometimes. Sometimes I wish I could commit to an idea and execute it like this. Simple and professional.

State Shirt: Feels like I'm listening to the Pet Shop Boys or something. I wish the high-pitch vocal sounded a little less nasally and forced. It's kinda like a creepy drag queen if you only focus on that angle of the song. Synth strings are pretty cool. They get a little overwhelming the 3:30 mark what with the crescendo and all, come to a relaxing coda. Pretty well done.

Paco del Stinko: Good intro groove. I really enjoyed the instrumentation here albeit a little loose. The pointed pop culture lyrics take away some of the timeless quality of the writing, but hey it's all in good fun. Dig the guitar solo. Kind of like an old Weezer song for a second. Keep it up.

Glennny: Sounding good. I like the horns a lot. The crunchy distorted vocals are a strange choice that I just can't get behind. The rest of the instrumentation is nice. Fun song to end this weeks playlist for me.

Thanks all for the good listens this week. Hope your weeks are going well
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

BobandtheBoggles wrote:What is a cracker vocal? You mean like unkle cracker? Follow me and everything is alright :ugeek:
Cracker the band... like umm lessee:
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
BobandtheBoggles
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard, Jaw Harp, Concertina, Banjo
Recording Method: Focusrite/GarageBand
Submitting as: Bob and the Boggles

Post by BobandtheBoggles »

Ooh word thank you for the clarification haha
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Turn Off Your Television Reviews

Bob & the Boggles
-I guess that’s a TV in the background. I keep thinking I need to close another window. I like the atmosphere of this. I wish the vocals were a little less mumbling. The percussion is so much louder than the Ukulele, and the tuning is a bit painful. It’s a nice filler kind of a track on a concept album. There’s not the usual arc of a pop song. I enjoyed listening.

Glennny- I guess the distorted vocal was a FAIL in the court of public opinion. I was checking out sounds, and I thought it sounded kinda cool, maybe like it was coming out of an old crappy TV speaker. Oh well. At least the focus is on a bad vocal effect choice rather than directly my vocals. I wrote this song in this order: Drums, Horns, Bass (virtual Double bass and cello), guitar, vocals. Kind of a weird order, but efficient. I dig it, it’s an earworm for me, so hopefully that errors on catchy rather than annoying.

Jerkatorium- the mix is weird. Vocals are very up front. There’s some great backing vocals that are too low in my opinion. The guitar tone is muddy and really low in the mix. Yeah I could bitch a lot about the mix for a while. Mix aside, the song writing is superb. Catchy song, cool lyrics. I want the solo louder too. (damn it, sorry more mix bitching). Yeah lyrics are great! Nice approach to the title!

Luntar- Major points for your commitment to the material. That guitar is sooo buried. Bass and drums sound really nice. Vocals are too hot in the mix for me. Another short song. Feels unfinished to me. I like your vocals, they seem prime for a silly Dr. Demento type song.

Paco del Stinko- I’m a fan. This gets a vote. Your distorted vocal idea was much better than mine. I’m always a fan of the backing vocals you do. All the instruments sound great, cool riffs, nice hooks! Fantastic mix, best mix of the fight? I bet you have the most practice ;) . I’m fascinated most by the bass line. That is not the bass line I would have come up with at all, it’s dark and slippery, what bass is that? Cool tune, I could listen to you solo all day long. I wish Song Fight was more welcoming for a Zappa/ Phish type ratio of 30% song and 70% soloing. Fun song!

Pannacotta Army- Nice mellow groove. I love the drums, the organ and acoustic sound great too! Mix is great! The vocals are really good too. The song is so mellow its bordering on Jack Johnson territory. (I like Jack Johnson, don’t listen to Manhattan Glutton). I want to hear an instrument call and respond to the vocals, like a saw or pedal steel. Seems like it could use just one more element, hopefully with a killer hook. In any case, this is impressive recording and mixing, and a very pleasant listen. I’m not quite sold on the song.

Pepper Jane- You are crazy talented. I bet you make grocery lists sound soulful. You’ve done that descending lick already, I forget which song. Safe Harbor? The string squeaks drive me nuts. What a voice! Yep Safe Harbor. You think I’m not going to keep listening to your entries from here on out? I am. Good stuff, painful recordings, but great singing.

Pigfarmer Jr.- Mr. Elliot, I like this. I think maybe it’s too slow, it feels a bit drunken at this tempo. My favorite bit is the acoustic guitar lick. The political lyrics serve the sing-a-long aspect of this song. I think I’d like to hear a big group singing the choruses, like it was everyone in a bar. (maybe track yourself 12 times). Cool stuff.

State Shirt-
Awesome video! The song is haunting. Production is fantastic! Maybe it’s the Rhodes, but it reminds me of Kid A. I keep singing about heads on sticks and ventriloquists. I want more State Shirt! Nice! You’re on Spotify. You’re going to earn fractions of cents from me today! I blame you for me not finishing these reviews earlier. That was some fun listening. (I think you should bring Song Fight Live to LA). There, I planted the idea. This is great! Gets a vote.

Truth- I love this song! I was going to help with this song, but then Truth didn’t need my help. This will be a fun song to add to a Cavedweller set. Great hooks! Fantastic vocals. My favorite of the fight. I love the lingering lead guitar post solo when the chorus comes back. This gets a vote. Winner? Love the solo, I would’ve brought it up a bit.

I liked them all!
Votes go to: Paco, State Shirt, and truth
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Glenn - You're way too kind. Thanks for pointing out the bass line though, I love doing them, probably my favorite part of playing/recording. That is my five string Jazz Bass there. Also, I wouldn't be against a noodle-fest, when appropriate. Right song, right time, that sorta thing. Thanks for the comments, I'll get some up soon.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.