You Gotta Put A Ring On It (Hitched Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: You Gotta Put A Ring On It (Hitched Reviews)

Post by glennny »

Glennny - tuning issues right from the start made this hard for me to listen to...
I'm pretty sure you're confusing dissonance for tuning issues. I was pretty sure everything was in tune, but you made me doubt myself. I consulted my friend with perfect pitch, he agrees I'm in tune. There are minor 2nds in the gamelon loop. I enjoy the dissonance very much (obviously). In any case, you don't like it, which is fine. Thanks for the listen.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

1...pigfarmer
2...pepperjane
3...kingarthur
4......dosen't matter
Sayin'
Regards,
Toby
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

glennny wrote:
Glennny - tuning issues right from the start made this hard for me to listen to...
I'm pretty sure you're confusing dissonance for tuning issues. I was pretty sure everything was in tune, but you made me doubt myself. I consulted my friend with perfect pitch, he agrees I'm in tune. There are minor 2nds in the gamelon loop. I enjoy the dissonance very much (obviously). In any case, you don't like it, which is fine. Thanks for the listen.
I hate to say it but it sounds out of tune to me too, specifically the second note of the guitar part against the rest of the following notes. Is that your 11-string?
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Well, appears it's what the voters wanted. Congrats on the win, Glennny.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I wish I had a clearer idea of who "the voters" are. I can say that we only had votes from 25 distinct IP addresses. 13 of those votes were for two artists, 8 were for three artists, 2 were for four artists, and 1 each were for five and six artists. My guess is we probably only have 15-20 real different people voting, with 5-10 of those folks casting multiple separate sets of votes. Pretty low turn out, frankly.
dirgetheband
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Dell XPS 630, M-Audio Delta 66/44, Tascam 488 & 424
Submitting as: Dirge
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by dirgetheband »

Lunkhead wrote:I wish I had a clearer idea of who "the voters" are. I can say that we only had votes from 25 distinct IP addresses. 13 of those votes were for two artists, 8 were for three artists, 2 were for four artists, and 1 each were for five and six artists. My guess is we probably only have 15-20 real different people voting, with 5-10 of those folks casting multiple separate sets of votes. Pretty low turn out, frankly.
The first rule of Song Fight voting is you don't talk about Song Fight voting. The second rule of Song Fight voting is... you don't talk about Song Fight voting.
DT
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

glennny wrote:I'm pretty sure you're confusing dissonance for tuning issues. I was pretty sure everything was in tune, but you made me doubt myself. I consulted my friend with perfect pitch, he agrees I'm in tune. There are minor 2nds in the gamelon loop. I enjoy the dissonance very much (obviously). In any case, you don't like it, which is fine. Thanks for the listen.
All this stuff convinced me to listen, too. I believe the guitar is not entirely tuned, simply because the same thing is audible in the guitar-only outro. It's fairly subtle, though. Nice arrangement, by the way.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I think you guys are right. It is out of tune. I do have a more liberal definition of what is in tune and what is not. Especially with a 12 string, the whole point is that slightly out of tune natural chorus effect. It's like Ozzy's vocals which are deliberately out of tune ever so slightly. There have been many times when I have had my guitar in tune (to me) and Lunkhead will tell me to tune my B string (or other string), I will get out the tuner and be shocked at how little it was out of tune, but indeed was.

This reminds me that I should run my vocals through auto-tune. Even though I don't hear the difference, Guys like Lunkhead and King Arthur do.

In any case, thanks!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Hey, glennny, just in case it's not clear, I was NOT accusing you of friend-flooding or anything...

On the tuning issue, I know I have become super-sensitive to this... to the point that if I accidentally record a backing track at A438, I will find myself singing sharp all the way through the song, I'll have to do ten or twenty extra takes on the vocals just to get my voice accustomed to that small a difference. I also find that there are times when my Sabine rack tuner tells me the guitar is in tune and I'm like, "no it's not..."

And, uhh, guys like Lunkhead and KA can also hear autotune... I'm generally more forgiving of a voice that swings and misses sometimes than the sound of autotune :-)

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

To be clear on my side, I wasn't accusing anybody of friend flooding either. I was just lamenting that Song Fight! seems to not be drawing a lot of voters at the moment. I don't know for sure but I would guess voters correlate somehow to listeners, so, possibly listeners are not that numerous now either.
PepperJane
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Voice. Followed by piano or guitar
Recording Method: Crustacean
Submitting as: PepperJane

Post by PepperJane »

I must admit I tend to listen and begin my reviews and forget to vote...

Luntar: last night on the drive home it was a "20 years ago in the charts" radio show. I feel like this belongs there. Not in a bad way, but in a slightly indifferent one I suppose. I'm thinking 'Devo'. Then it was over. Do you mean to add something onto this? Now I'm curious. Also I keep expecting you to say 'comfortably numb' a lot

Dirge: Great 1min intro and riffage throughout. You sound as angry as I sound sad in most of my tracklings. I like the soft bit in the middle (not something I say often) but I'm not really sure why all of this exists in the same song. Separately though, case by case, the sections work. Were you playing live drums? I feel like double kick would be hard to emulate otherwise

Pigfarmer Jr: I'm not going to ask if your drums are real ;) I think the twangy riff goes very well with a 'going to the fair' tune (also Pigfarmer going to the fair amuses me and I think about that nursery rhyme for tickling toes, if y'all have that over there). Then it's like E.T. arrives at the fair in time to end it :-D This is cute in the same way as Seinfeld but then who doesn't like Seinfeld?

JRS2: menstrual confluence?! Thankyou, I learned a new word and am flabbergasted by its intended meaning in this *cough* spot. Always easy to listen to though, gentlemen

King Arthur: well crafted, of course. I could see myself covering this

Paco: I was trying, but after hearing the way you announce phrase "crickets chirp" I had no hope of taking this seriously :-D

WreckdoM:

*gathers self*
Hahaha hahaha haha ha *ahem*

I see what you did there. ;) (Duh). And you did it so well. You could have got away with the cheesiness EVEN MORE by FULLY committing, with your linguistic swagger, then I would have 100% believed you. Haha. You can keep expressing yourself that way if you like.

glennny: I really like the breakdown kind of sections, I like how trippy this is but my head is so generally full/distracted that it doesn't take much for sensory overload (possibly not to the extent my string squeaks pain you though, sorry, I'll work on it). Thus I feel like I may have not properly absorbed the seriousness of the lyrics every timeI listened.

As for my song, I was totally dreading having to use such a dreadful consonant-laden word, so tried to jam it in somewhere other than the end of a line, (though that happened anyway) and therefore avoid predictable rhymes... Then at recording (two guitars and my main vox at once onto my iPhone, so I'm actually pretty impressed with it, and how much it captures the string noise and my weaker alto notes) I forgot to be extra careful with the enunciation so it IS sloppy, yes. Also, the lead was only ok, it was a pretty spontaneous 1am thing so my mate did alright considering.
Everything is about perspective. :shock:
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

PepperJane wrote:I must admit I tend to listen and begin my reviews and forget to vote...
King Arthur: well crafted, of course. I could see myself covering this
I would be most honored... long ago, "Henrietta and the Hostage" covered my song for "Troublemaker" and I liked it so much it made it onto the Best of King Arthur box set instead of my own version...