Read 'em and weep! (Ace In The Hole Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Read 'em and weep! (Ace In The Hole Reviews)

Post by Chumpy »

Time for the showdown!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Read 'em and weep! (Ace In The Hole Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted.
freff
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards... oh wait, you said "proficient."
Recording Method: Garageband, Logic, Fostex 24 track
Submitting as: Jeff DeSantis, The F.U. Milburys

Post by freff »

I never post reviews on fights, but this time I wanted to. Berkeley Social Scene's and WreckdoM's tunes have a really solid imaginative quirkiness to which I aspire.

Jerkatorium's tune is probably the most listenable song I've ever heard on this site. I dug it from the first downbeat.
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

freff wrote: Jerkatorium's tune is probably the most listenable song I've ever heard on this site. I dug it from the first downbeat.
Wow, thank you, that's way too kind. And I mean that literally too, in that it is a huge overstatement of the listenability of our song over other stuff on this site. Jerkatorium only exists because we were inspired by other bands on this site, and there are plenty of Song Fight songs that have been on my various playlists for over a decade. Thank you though, I'm extremely flattered, we work hard on this stuff.

In the interest of some absolutely sincere and earnest logrolling I have to mention that both Chumpy and I have consistently enjoyed every Song Fight submission we've heard from Jeff DeSantis, and this Ace In The Hole entry is another example of that excellent work. I feel outclassed by the great singing, production, and solid melody lines. I enjoyed the other entries this week too, but I'm assuming that the win for this fight is going to Jeff.

Full reviews of the songs later. I think.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Berkeley Social Scene
This song is too much on the languid side for my taste, but I do enjoy the vocal performance. I appreciate you finding a way to make this a protest song, too. (Apparently a lot of us start each fight by thinking, "Let's see, can I make this a political protest song?")

Jeff DeSantis

This is really good. I might prefer a less restrained vocal performance, but there's very little to complain about here. Good songwriting, good performances, good production. Vote.

Jerkatorium
You win the award for the single funniest line I've ever heard on Song Fight (and I'm sure you can guess which one). This is simply a fun, enjoyable, well made song. Vote.

Lichen Throat
I was going for a Sun Kil Moon-like thing here. Obviously it didn't quite work out that way, but I had to try. Don't worry, I won't try the spoken word thing again for a while, if ever.

WreckdoM
I don't really get this, but as usual, that may have more to do with me than with the song. I never quite know what to say on reviews of songs where someone of my sensibilities is clearly not the intended audience, but I do appreciate being exposed to types of music I wouldn't ordinarily seek out, so thank you for that.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

BSS: The vocal just isn't clear enough to hear the lyric which normally isn't that big of a deal, but here I'm wanting to hear the darn words. I liked the intro, and the vocal to start was a bit offsetting but I liked the performance over all (except for the lack of clarity.) There is a lot to like about this song, though. The arrangement works pretty well for me. It's just a hair slow in tempo or energy or something. Better than I'd have done, though.

Jeff DeSantis: Smooth from the start, I enjoyed the vocal and feel of the song. It didn't really lead me anywhere, though. Not that it is suppose to. Definitely solid from start to finish. Four minutes isn't too long for this song, but it's butting up against it. Of course, I'm being nitpicky a bit as it's a good one.

Jerkatorium: Love the energy and the vocal delivery. The mix is pretty well balanced and clear. Probably my favorite of the fight.

Lichen Throat: I actually think the vocal works pretty well here. It's the redundant musical loop that seems a bit off. A bit too much on the bright side for my taste. And the bass hits just off enough to draw my attention to the construction instead of the feel. At nearly four minutes, it's just too long to keep me interested. Still, I did like the vocal delivery.

WreckdoM: Not a fan of the vocal. It started off with some interest, but was entirely too long for my enjoyment. Although, to be fair, I did like some of the guitars in the arrangement. And the ease down toward the end was a tasty touch.

Jeff and Jerk are fighting it out for the win, imo.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Lichen Throat: Is this a song? Sure there is somebody strumming a guitar, more in less in sync with the click (actually, I'm unsure about that) but still. I give it credit for being on topic.

Wreckdom: What was I expecting? Less than this, that's for sure. I am impressed by Wreckdom's progress, honestly admitting that I stopped listening to them years ago. I might have to change that.

Jerkatoriam. OK finally, a song. Nice and quirky. Like the lyrics, but Is this arty enough for Songfight?

Jeff DeSantis: Another song. I am getting bored with songs. This isn't helping. Solid but predictable. Somewhat detached from the title.

Berkeley Social Scene: Crimson and Clover? No wait, it's the Beatles. Journey? I can't wait until you guys decide who you are. It's gonna be amazing.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Jerkatorium wins again.