Pew pew! I'm hit! (There Was Lasers reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Pew pew! I'm hit! (There Was Lasers reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Yellow laser beams. Watch out!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Pew pew! I'm hit! (There Was Lasers reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Oops, I stole somebody's joke from the prefight. That's what happens when the community doesn't step up and create the review thread I guess. :P
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Clear State: - I like the laid back groove/atmosphere. Nothing here sounds bad at all. But not a lot stands out, either. That being said, I liked the vocal and the mix and enjoyed listening.

Pigfarmer Jr: I'd like to apologize in advance. This was fun to put together, but it will probably test your patience. All the sounds except the drums were on the guitar (mostly) and vocal mic.

dark side of the son: I liked the lasery intro and they way you incorporated the sounds throughout. And I like the melody right from the start. The vocals themselves are a bit hit and miss, though.

Vom Vorton: That was an interesting structure that worked really well for me. And I was intrigued at the story. I had to look at the lyric to get the whole bit of it, but I liked it. And it works as I (slightly) misinterpreted it, too. Solid production with the best story so far.

Mr B and Mr C: There is something appropriate about the vocal in that it fits the lyric pretty well, but to tell the truth, it put me off just a bit.

Enter It In The Art Show: I like the feel that hits right at :19 and the slight build up to it. Once the full kick in happens the mix sounds just a hair to unclear to enjoy properly. Like it doesn't hit as hard as it could (although I do like it well enough.) This seems to be art showish enough to fit the band name. And the deconstruction after the pew pew bridge/solo kind of fits my mood pretty well.

WreckdoM: Dang, man. I don't know how or why, but I really dig this. The lyric and vocal delivery fit well and it sounds like this was super fun to sing/perform. If I dig too deeply I'm afraid of what I'll find, so I'll just leave it alone.

EDITED TO ADD:
BSS: I like the arrangement pretty well. I do think the heavy guitars being panned hard left makes it a bit unbalanced. I'd also like some effect on the vocal during the "My eyes were full of stars..." it's just a bit up front or... I don't know it doesn't mesh quite right with the vocal before. I liked the break and the banjo works beautifully here. (I'm quite sure I never thought I'd say that here at SF.) But all that being said, the nits and the picks included. I like this a lot.
Last edited by Pigfarmer Jr on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Pigfarmer Jr - cool experimental piece. I like the sludgy bass sound and it sounds great when the drums really kick in. I guess I would have liked it to evolve / progress a bit more, but it’s a decent listen.

Enter It In the Art Show - this is pretty wild! Definitely satisfies that “pick up the pace” optional challenge, and I like the (synth and vocal) laser effects.

Mr B and Mr C - witty lyric and I really like the chorus. The verse melody follows the music a little too closely for me though, I’d have liked a bit more variation in the tune or rhythm or something I think?

Clear State - my favourite for this fight. Super atmospheric - I really like the melancholy vibe, and there’s some beautiful lead guitar work in here. I've listened to this four or five times since the songs were posted and I'm sure I'll be coming back for more.

Dark Side of the Son - there’s a dreamy quality to this one, I liked the guitars a lot, and the way the drums shift into a kind of disco beat at times (which is an odd fit, but it works).

WreckdoM - not really into the lyrics, but the sheer energy of this one is pretty enjoyable.

Vom Vorton - this is me. My first solo effort in a fight, and it’s WELL within my comfort zone, haha. Debut recording for my new bass!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

BSS song posted, I missed it the first time.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats Clear State!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Congrats! Deserved win, killer tune.
saunter
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Pronouns: *

Post by saunter »