We Visited Some Reviews (We Visited A Forest Full Of Graves)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

We Visited Some Reviews (We Visited A Forest Full Of Graves)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Don't let "forgot to do reviews" be etched onto your headstone.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: We Visited Some Reviews (We Visited A Forest Full Of Graves)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The Overambitious - Good vocals right from the start. I really liked the verses. The more pop-like chorus works, but wasn't the highlight for me. The arrangement and production are both really good. I'm not really sure what that ending was about. My only real complaint is that you're setting the bar too high for the rest of the songs. I should have listened to you last.

Bone Uppercut - Cool enough, but it's rather repetitive. I did like the scale back at 2:26 before it hit again near 3:00. And I could see this being used in some film work. But it really didn't hold my attention. I think you could have conveyed the feeling just as easily in half the time.

Deadnettlez - Muddy vocal takes detract from the production. But I like the creativity. I thought the mouth harp was an especially tasty touch and then you went and featured it. Nicely arranged, that was.

BSS: I like your production (that goes for this round and most other fights.) You always seem to have a solid entry and this is no exception. That chorus is catchy. I enjoyed listening.

J$. - Nice use of melody. I like the narrow range and the step-wise direction in the verses. And even in the Chorus, although it's a nice contrast to the verse. That's a humorous lyric, as well. Good take on the title.

Vom Vorton - Nice intro. Good production. Five lines repeated for a lyric. Yet you made it work well with a good dynamic range. I can never get recorders to sound in tune and here it's the same thing. I'm beginning to think that it's my own ears. (Which would explain a lot.) Seriously, though, I enjoyed listening.

Dark Side - I liked that bass right from the start. The first few notes had me. The vocals took me right out of it, though, especially that lower register. Although they improved a little bit after the first go 'round. I like the relaxed feel.

Pigfarmer Jr (me) - Solid idea whose implementation is lacking a bit. Those drums suck. And the vocal needed at least one more pass. My only excuse is this was super duper rushed fast.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
deadnettlez
A New Player
Instruments: beatbox throat sing
Recording Method: arrdoor
Submitting as: deadnettlez

Post by deadnettlez »

jonny $point - ₩ee vizited a cathedral made from human bones castle where 3000 kids blood still stains the cobblestones what person wants to see a forest full of Graves? @&and that's the last time I ever let you take pick a holidayz!!! tour guide told some tastlezz jokes .. had a buffet by the blood-stained castle moat!!!! the last time I'll ever go with fellow Travelers in a radioactive exclusion Zone tourist information office suggested we should just go home we're going to the beach though it might be the site of some forgotten pogrom... thiz iz why i know longer travel. I will most likely bee humming thiz tune on my march to the sea to bee drowned for the Maryther Auction of 2023

The over-ambitious - Stevie Nicks has nothing upon your emo brilliance!!!!!! a glowing Shimmer shower of Twisted sound samples !!!!! don't fear in the totality of your lived experience!!!! this will surely be the most trust shattering experience you've ever experienced....... Twisted lead tight drum samples .......as well you can change!!!!!! Synth supplier rap in the middle needz too bee the whole zonggg###! I think there izzzzz some accidental satanic riffting based static on the mic near the end... juz saying

Johnny pig farmer J. Metal metal metal meta!!!!!!l !!!!!what is contrition of repentance by our admission... Do you have a mixtape of your most metal of metal in the songfight pit??! :?: :?: :?:

Van voort Anson - dig dah Sickkk tight dulcimer!!!! dude sick tight dulcimer !!!! everybody sings the line we visited forceful of graves in the same way I did in my(our) head when I first thought of a lick ?!~??!>>>.. thanks to Johnny Cash points vulgar(pagan) Garfield diatribe.... I was able to avoid such Fatezzzzzzz...... this is a nice ending track if we were to make this song fight an album (oppz just did it again) Parade this track as the OUTTROWZ.... because it iz a pair of memories and has a reverse a dulcimer in it
There is a recorder in shaking

Redkey Zocial scenez  /// This track definitely belongs in The Anthem category (CATI-GORE-ICKLY speaking) Including but not limited to the way the title line is delivered!!!!!! you are so brave the who has nothing on you!!! in terms of Teenage Wastelandz !!!!!1totz dope totally digging it dog !!!!!...how can one's feelings bee bear in foretz? (very likely) unpun able pun...... though romantic catchy tune that will clearly be stuck in my head like an earworm-colony-generator all week..Is it in a forest full of grams??A??Z? where we raved neon paint on the fir trees? ¥ez i think it wuz.

Bone uppercut ------thiz is like the warp level on Mario that I never was allowed 2 go to because there was too many wind chimezzzz to bump my head into........ and then the pipes instead of spitting out Venus fly traps would spit up shards of urbanite AKA concrete (in the shape of pianoz) my inept brother Luigi who got me stuck down this pipe in the first place...... warned me that going into any of these warp pipes would cause me immense piano soloing.. id have 2 smash...I wish that I could see the textures to this Oculus Rift Kreation/Secretion////... or at least smell the day Candice of the untidy nature of the midi projections dancerz... all this to say atmospheric level design definitely needs metal solos near the end like yerz does.

Dark Side of the Sun. - don't wonder why the masses passed away?  these trees weren't intentionally planted either but rather in the seeds of blueberries blackberries dehydrated strawberries in the VVVulturez desiccating the Corpses;#// don't fake resilience .....or mask the pain,, but you can break the chains!!!!!!. gothbluez at the noodling crozzroadz..!!!! making a decision while walking past a forest full of corpses is a terrible time to make any decision give it time perhaps on future introspection you'll make a different decision
The Overambitious
A New Player
Instruments: Piano, Keyboard, Synth, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Bouzouki, Ukulele, My Face
Recording Method: Logic Pro X 10.1
Submitting as: The Overambitious

Post by The Overambitious »

Bone Uppercut - Eerie to say the least. Got a creepy cool vibe. My few opinions are: a tad bit repetitive (but aren’t we all?), but it changes a bit half way, which is good. The highs on that bell like synth are a bit too ear piercing for my taste, I’d bring the highs on the EQ down a touch. I like the bass a lot, but I think it might be too airy, but if that’s what you were going for, then more power to you. I give you credit, I personally haven’t heard something like this on this site, so bravo.

The Overambitious - That’s me, I won’t brag. Lyrically, it came from an idea that was presented in a book by C.S. Lewis, and it was such a profound thought I wanted to incorporate it in the song. The Chorus was the biggest pain in the arsenal vocally, like I hateeeeeeed recording it xD. Also, the ending (for those who are like what is this) is me being me. I accidentally hit pause while listening, and loved the abrupt ending. I then recorded me getting out of my car, and made a beat out of door slamming. It actually is a transition to the next song in the album I’m working on. Can’t wait for next week. Appreciate the love, keep up the good work on your parts! -Missio Dei

Vom Vortun - Drums. The. Drums. I love the crunch. So fits the acoustics. Vocally reminds the of Pink Floyd. I really like this. The little bit of tensions are welcome. The picking is a tad bit too loud on the mids in my opinion. I love the synth, its so simple and so fun. Sounds a lot like Geographer to me. Great job!

dark side of the son - I like the chill beat and guitar. I think the muffled sound is cool, but it’d be nice if it faded out and the highs came back in. The harmonics are cool, but get off at times and messes with the overall feel.

Berkeley Social Scene - I liked the organ and bass line. Drums fit nicely. Overall pretty good. Liked the piano slide. The ending is cool too, I always love choir sounds.

Johnny Cashpoint - Simple, yet fun. Like the synths, adds a retro feel. Id make the drums louder so it drives the beat more. Couldn’t tell if this was an add for Expedia xD

Pigfarmer Jr. - High energy, and grungy. Feels a bit excessive towards the end. I would have mind it to slow down a gone clean for a measure or two. Vocals aren’t bad at all, nothing made me cringe haha. Overall good job!

Deadnettlez - Ok I give props, this was dope. This is something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time. Its just a bit too muffled on everything, like the mouth trumpet sounds good like that but the drums don’t, they don’t have the pop they need. For real though, sweet stuff, I always love hearing something break from the typical.
|-/
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Deadnettlez - the first half of this is a bit too busy / muddy for me to really get a handle on, but when it spaces out a bit later on it sounds really cool - I like that mournful vocal-trumpet thing you’ve got going on.

Bone Uppercut - pretty atmospheric instrumental, fits the title well. Can’t say it fully grabbed me though.

dark side of the son - nice guitar work, interesting vibe. I found the reverb on the vocals a little overwhelming, but still enjoyed this one. It gets into a nice groove.

Pigfarmer Jr - I like the lyric, but this kind of straight-down-the-line hard rock isn’t really my thing so not my favourite of yours. It’s well executed, though.

The Overambitious - this is really cool, the production is really crisp and modern with a lot of really cool touches (like that spacey vocal echo). I remember thinking your last song (Bone Saw?) was full of cool stuff but it didn’t quite hang together for me, but this one works brilliantly. My favourite song from this fight for sure.

Berkeley Social Scene - I really like the verses, but I’m not as keen on the chorus! It’s growing on me with repeated listens, though. The piano at the end is ace.

Johnny Cashpoint - yeah! Love those bendy synths, and another strong lyric - really great take on the title.

Vom Vorton - this is me. I probably should have written more than one verse worth of lyrics, but I had fun doing loopy “folktronica” stuff with this one.
I can never get recorders to sound in tune and here it's the same thing.
Yeah, it totally isn't in tune. I really like it, though!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Bone Uppercut:
This did a really nice job of evoking a landscape that's beautiful but creepy--I enjoyed my listen but it went on a bit too long for me to keep my attention on it as an active listener. The crashing cymbals towards the end were a nice dynamic change but also snapped me out of the nice mood a bit.

Deadnettlez:
Kind of hard to make out what was happening with the mix being kind of muffled/muddy but this was unusual and cool... I like the jazzy feel and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Pigfarmer Jr.
Lots of drive and energy, but I don't love this genre so I was having some trouble getting into it. The snare sounds oddly boxy, which is distracting.

Berkeley Social Scene:
Nice entry! I like the melody and chord progression a lot. Intro was awesome, but I feel like once it got to the chorus it occupied an awkward middle ground where it wasn't quite rockin' enough to get to where it seemed like it wanted to be--I think mixing the instruments a bit higher relative to vocals there might help. The bridge was really lovely although the vocals were sort of pitchy there.

The Overambitious:
I think the melody is great, catchy and anthemic, although it also seems a bit too uplifting for the lyrics and sort of mismatched with the "forest full of graves" line. The production is very "modern indie," but it felt a bit overproduced for my personal taste. (But I could see it being pumped in a stadium at a music festival!)

Vom Vorton:
Loved this one, I posted on your 50/90 page about it already so I won't gush here again. The sweet little uke and glitchy beat combo is a winner and the lyrics are so surreal and dreamy and lovely.

dark side of the son: I think I would have liked a more lo-fi acoustic approach to this. The production detracted from the bones of the song, I think--I kept imagining it done with just vocals and acoustic guitar and super simple and haunting like you were singing it at a crossroads at midnight and I think I would have liked that better. Good tune but it was hard to pick it out.

Johnny Cashpoint: Love that synth and the nice clear vocal. Catchy chorus too. Cute lyrics, nice take on the title--clean production that sounded really nice, I would have liked it to get bigger and more epic as it went along as it felt like it never quite arrived but I really enjoyed it.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Berkeley Social Scene - I like the bass line of this song. Simple and groovy. It allows for a bit of call and response with the guitars and keys. The bridge kind of reminds me of Pinback. It was fun to do some extra vocal overdubs on the final chorus.

Bone Upper-Cut - Interesting "Glass Tines" sound on the intro. Fairly minimalist. Reminds me of the first compositions I made when I was learning MIDI in college. I would just scroll through the sounds on the sound module until I found something interesting and then build a new part on top of the ones I already had. I think you made an instrumental song that fits the title, so good job.

Dark side of the son - I like the guitar work. The snare in the left side only is a classic early stereo throwback. A little loose at times, but the mood overall is good. Feels a little long at three minutes since it is fairly plodding overall.

Deadnettlez - Cool acapella! This could use some EQ though, particularly cutting out some of the lows and making the lead vocal stand out a bit more.

Johnny Cashpoint - Classic J$. Parts of the melody remind me of Pop Goes the World. Vocal delivery is good.

The Overambitious - You've got a good voice. This could be a modern radio song with more guitars. A few rough notes in the vocals, but that happens when you write and record a song in a week. I'd like to think of this as a demo you'd bring to your band and once you start playing it with them it really comes to life. Breakdown is a little long for my taste. Keep it short and get back to the chorus to end the song strong. This song would have been better at 3 minutes in length. The extra remix portion at the end doesn't do much for me. Did you forget to clean up your tracks at the end of the song or was that on purpose?

Pigfarmer Jr. - I like the blown out electric guitars. A couple of extra guitar overdubs in a higher register during the instrumental parts (or just moving the single guitar parts up an octave) would have added a lot. Add some dynamics to your arrangement.

Vom Vorton - Sometime I like the slightly out of time vocals and sometimes I don't. It is just hard to tell if it is on purpose or just sloppy. Interesting arrangement and collection of instruments. "Forest full of graves, graveyard full of trees" is a great line.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats to Vom Vorton.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Wahoo! Thanks!