Don't Have a Cow, Pig, Goat or... (Our Forfeited Friends Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Don't Have a Cow, Pig, Goat or... (Our Forfeited Friends Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Although "bacon tastes good. Porkchops taste good."
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Don't Have a Cow, Pig, Goat or... (Our Forfeited Friends Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted. Unfortunately the Macaque Attack song was nowhere to be found in the fightmaster inbox for some reason. I DM'd about it and will add it to the fight as soon as I get it.
GravityJohnson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Macaque Attack

Post by GravityJohnson »

Hi Lunkhead. Macaque Attack have just resubmitted our track for the 'Our Forfeited Friends' songfight.
Thanks for all your hard work in keeping these fights up and running, we all appreciate it. Happy new year.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Got it, song added.
GravityJohnson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Macaque Attack

Post by GravityJohnson »

Not got too much time today, so just a quick review:

Berkeley Social Scene - This is good stuff, feels a bit like The Clash. Definitely a catchy verse and a hugely earwormy chorus. Could maybe have done with something (another guitar layer perhaps) to lift the chorus, but certainly still gets a vote from me.

Lichen Throat - This is unusual but a really pleasant listen. It has a strange sense of optimism about it despite the nature of the lyrics. Threatens to burst into life but somehow doesn't quite get there, it almost feels like an extended introduction to a song. That said, I really like it. Probably my favourite of the fight. Gets a vote from me.

Dark Side Of The Son - Has a Magnetic Fields feel to this, and the more I listen the more it grows on me. The sleigh bells are a little off-putting (maybe too prominent) for the first half of the song, but they seem to start working a little better towards the end. Another vote.

WreckdoM - I like this if it were part of a song but feel it is in need of another section or two to mix it up because it does get quite repetitive even for its sub-two minute run time. That said, the bass, drums, and guitar sound great in this so I'm giving it a vote anyway.

Macaque Attack - That's us. Our second attempt at a rap track.

Votes all round this week, good work one and all.
MessOfFun
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, some keys...
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Mess Of Fun

Post by MessOfFun »

Dark Side of the Son: Very nice melancholy feel. I like the sleigh bells!

Macaque Attack: nice driving feel. Love that bubbly sound underneath the track. Gets super heavy with the guitar coming in around 1:30. Great work.

Lichen Throat: I love the piano chords and the way they move around. Also, the overall structure of the changes is very nice - some unexpected changes there.

WreckdoM: I like the back and forth in the vocals. Some great lyrics too. Love the line about the mimosas! Interplay between the guitars, bass, drums heavy as hell. Very cool.

Berkeley Social Scene: Great groove in the verse - I like the way the verse phrasing fits in with the rhythm. Pre-chorus sets things up nicely and the chorus is super catchy. Good job!
"Don't put your hand in the cage, or the monkey will hit it with a hammer."

Mess Of Fun On Facebook * Mess Of Fun On Soundcloud
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Berkeley Social Scene - I like the guitar crunch, you’ve nailed that classic rock punchiness again, but the vocal melody and guitar solo follow really meandering paths in this one, which doesn’t really do it for me.

Dark Side of the Son - definitely agreed on the Magnetic Fields vibe, at least until the vocals come in. I feel like this amount of Sleigh Bell SHOULD be too much, but somehow it works. Good stuff.

Lichen Throat - really like the arrangement, the pulsing piano and the melodic guitar twangs. Your vocals sit really well on this one too, I like the phrasing. One of the best tracks I’ve heard from you and definitely my favourite from this fight.

Macaque Attack - synth-rap! You’re good at this stuff. The track is really well produced, full of really interesting, gritty sounds, and the lyrics again have a great flow to them.

WreckdoM - that main hook is really catchy. I agree with GravityJohnson above that this could probably use a different section to break it up a bit, but still really enjoyed it.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Berkeley Social Scene—I like the intro, the chorus, and the instrumental bits. The pre-chorus doesn’t work as well for me. Really nice guitar work on the bridge.

dark side of the son—The reminds me of The Bats, particularly at the beginning. (That’s a compliment.) You’ve somehow managed to make a song that sounds both loose and cohesive, which is hard to pull off. I think this may be my favorite of yours.

Lichen Throat (me)—I was trying to write a twelve-bar blues song, but the only thing that sounds even vaguely bluesy is my attempt to imitate Webb Wilder on one of the vocal tracks. I wasn’t too happy with this when I submitted it, but it’s grown on me a little since then.

Macaque Attack—I don’t think the drum rhythm fits with the rest of the song, but otherwise this is well done. Good vocal performance. I like the pulsing bass throughout.

WreckdoM—I like the guitar and the repeating backing vocal. I think the song could use a bridge or some changes in phrasing to introduce a little more variation.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Macaque Attack wins!