Gah! She kicked me in the (Tri-State Area reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Plat wrote:Wow, so weird. I couldn't listen to that song in full until about 3 days after submitting it. Never would have guessed a strange song like that could go over so well.
Awesome! Congrats. Keep it strange. And fun.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

I agree Plat, this was the best song of yours I've heard. Great job and a well-deserved win!
joe w
A New Player

Post by joe w »

Chiming in with praise for Cow Exchange. This is by far the best song ever written that includes the word "psychopathy". What did you use to pitch-shift your vocals? Specifically the ones that smoothly went up in pitch but not speed.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

joe w wrote:Chiming in with praise for Cow Exchange. This is by far the best song ever written that includes the word "psychopathy".
I owe this to WordNet. What a crazy list. Other (unrelated) favorite word tools include the Cliche Finder, the SCOWL Word List (some assembly required.. and familiarity with "grep") and RhymeZone. A great way to collect unusual stuff :).
joe w wrote:What did you use to pitch-shift your vocals? Specifically the ones that smoothly went up in pitch but not speed.
For the kiddie voices on the side, I recorded kiddie impressions at normal pitch, then "Pitch Shift"ed them up either 3 or 4 semitones, and a few cents (one side was slightly higher pitched than the other).

I used a "Pitch Bend" effect to do the gradual change you're talking about. Basically you can make a graph of your pitch over time; in this case it's just a linear one stretching a full octave. My narrative got too long in that part, so this seemed like a good of a way as any to cut it short.

With both of these, I just used the stock effects in Sound Forge.

Finally the musical pitch shifts are just part of the harmonizer effect. Nothing too special there, besides picking the type of harmony and panning it.

Hope this helps.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

tviyh wrote:(oh and one other suggestion -- a discussion like this probably would be better off located in the "tri-state area" review thread. or better yet -- somebody should start a new thread somewhere for a "hey listen to this song i made" sort of thing. i was thinking that after poor june has been linking to a few songs in monkey affairs... but anyway.)
Alrighty...
Southwest_Statistic wrote:I've been meaning to re-process my "Tri State Area" song for quite some time using some new stuff I've learned since the actual SongFight recording, as well as suggestions from the rest of the SongFighters... Here are the fruits of my labors.

(64kbps low quality, small file size)

http://69.244.191.218:82/media/music/so ... ea_low.mp3

(128kbps higher quality, larger file size)

http://69.244.191.218:82/media/music/so ... e_area.mp3