Let me twist your arm to write (Bend The Knee Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Let me twist your arm to write (Bend The Knee Reviews)

Post by ujnhunter »

Congrats to Gert! I just wanted to say thanks for the reviews everyone! Also I didn't know until now, but in regards to Gert... I found Song Fight! in 2008 thanks to Deshead (I think he had a blog or something about home recording and linked here?) and the album "SOUNDTRACK" by thehipcola was the first album I ever bought on Bandcamp! So... kinda cool to be in a Song Fight! with you guys 11 years later! Woo!
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Congrats Gert! How cool @Ujn Hunter that you've come full circle.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congrats on the win.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I finally got around to listening to the podcast! (I'm really behind!) Just thought I'd add a few comments in response:
  • re the literal physical knee injury: I understand this is all probably pretty opaque to anyone who is not me (or a rock climber?), but in case you want to know what I was thinking, the knee injury mentioned in the first verse was from a drop knee maneuver in rock climbing, which looks a little something like this--one knee goes down, which allows the climber to pivot their body and reach one arm up to a higher hold.
  • That similarity to the whole down-on-one-knee-proposal pose was supposed to be the connection to the second verse, and all the sort of injury and wrongness stemming from that idea of trying to bend that knee in an attempt to reach to a higher level. That's why the literal knee injury is in the song.
  • along with the key change/chord progression, I changed up the guitar part in the bridge to a bendy part (single rasgueado strum + heavily bent faster downstrokes) which I just want to assure you was intentional but I guess apparently sounded like I just forgot how to play or tune my guitar. But the bent guitar and slightly detuned synth were supposed to be a slight nod to the bend in the title too.
  • I will own up to the timing shit right at that transition part going into the bridge, though, which was not intentional, just sloppy comping. It's also entirely possible another guitar is out of tune somewhere, not on purpose, but I think nothing quite so extreme.
  • I didn't change anything with the drums at the end, so I have no idea why the cymbals apparently sounded different/weird there?
  • bury me with my toy harpsichord patch, ridiculous keyboard noises forever!
signed, m̶i̶s̶c̶e̶l̶l̶a̶n̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ terrifying owl
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

ujnhunter wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm
Congrats to Gert! I just wanted to say thanks for the reviews everyone! Also I didn't know until now, but in regards to Gert... I found Song Fight! in 2008 thanks to Deshead (I think he had a blog or something about home recording and linked here?) and the album "SOUNDTRACK" by thehipcola was the first album I ever bought on Bandcamp! So... kinda cool to be in a Song Fight! with you guys 11 years later! Woo!
No way!! That's a whole lot of super cool connective tissue and that I was your first BC album is extra soss on the cake. Allow me to say a hearty THANKS for buying it - that's amazing.

Thanks for the fight everyone :)