It's a bit white and bony (Skeleton Key reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: It's a bit white and bony (Skeleton Key reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Skeleton Key ART reviews

All of the art entries were usable and I'm very glad to see more people doing art. If you're even vaguely interested then go ahead and think about submitting art in the future. There are some simple phone apps that can help or tons of on line sites that could possibly work as well as all the usual design apps. I use a free one that is limiting, but serviceable. Email the fight master if you want to submit art and he'll get you set up with an account.

Crumpart: My favorite submission of the fight. A cool, literal take on the title. And the hand drawn looking style is also cool, and a nice change of pace from most of our entries.

Jim of Seattle: My second favorite submission of the fight. Thematically, it's not my favorite, but the slightly curved perspective point combined with another cool style that we don't see much combine to make this an easy choice. Also, it looks like it was hard to do. (I know that sometimes what we do well seems hard to others, so I have no idea how hard it really was, but it looks like a lot of effort went in. Not that effort alone should be the deciding criteria for the choice of art, but I think it should be rewarded whenever possible.)

Songfight Coverbot: Honestly, this isn't your best work. A simple change of direction would give plenty of room for the title not to cover the top of the only element in the photo you used. It is very distracting to use only one picture of a key and a pretty plain font and not even take the time to make sure it's clean and readable. I've liked a lot of your submissions in the past and you should be given great credit in the sheer number of fights you entered art. But come on, man.. erm Bot.

Pigfarmer Jr (me): I took a stock, royalty free picture of a skeleton key and ran it through a couple of different sketch me apps until I found a couple that could work. Then I used photoscape to tint it slightly and add the title and the songfight logo in a font that I thought worked better. The perspective trick on the key was luck and the deciding factor in which version I used. Honestly, that first line of the coverbot review would apply here. But my goal is simple. To provide a serviceable choice of art for the fightmaster while doing something vaguely artistic other than songwriting. SUCCESS!
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 am
Skeleton Key ART reviews

All of the art entries were usable and I'm very glad to see more people doing art. If you're even vaguely interested then go ahead and think about submitting art in the future. There are some simple phone apps that can help or tons of on line sites that could possibly work as well as all the usual design apps. I use a free one that is limiting, but serviceable. Email the fight master if you want to submit art and he'll get you set up with an account.
Hooray! Also, if anyone wants to make cover art but thinks they don’t know how, or if you get stuck on something, or you just want to ask how to do something, I will happily offer help and advice.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

vowlvom wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:44 am
Evil Grin: a few issues, mostly related to the way the vocal fit in the mix - it just feels like they need some more clarity. Whether that's an EQ / compression / reverb thing or whether they just need to be a bit louder, I'm not sure.
Mostly an EQ thing, I think. I've gone back and carved a bit of space (2-3 db) in the roughly 5k range out of most of the guitars and stuff and it sounds better. I also added a touch of distortion to the vocal to help it cut through. I'm liking the way it sounds a lot better.

Thanks for the review.

thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Berkeley Social Scene - one of the better BSS songs I've heard. I like the vocals quite a bit. really nice verse, kicks right into gear. the verse is my favorite part of the song, but the chorus is alright too. vote.

Evil Grin - nice mix of acoustic and distorted electric guitars. I quite like the instrumental. but for me the vocals just don't sit quite right with the music.

gizo vs 17,455 - I like the laid back groove here and the "da da da" vocal intro. this is one that I almost love but doesn't quite grab me for some reason. maybe it's the repetitive organ that takes up so much space in the mix but doesn't add much interest (for me.) still; I like your style/taste. this is a maybe vote.

Glenn Case - excellent mix/production/instrumentation/etc. love the way your acoustic guitars sound. strong vocals which work great for this style. I think I've voted for every Glenn Case song I've heard and this is no exception. good one. vote.

Hot Pink Halo - I love your inventiveness. really quirky/interesting instrumentation. I think the vocals work better on this one than on your other songs I've heard recently. this is an almost love, but definitely appreciate and probably vote. I don't think I've ever heard a song that really sounds quite like this one before. was this inspired by anything in particular? I'd be curious to know your influences.

The Kai Steines Band - I like the intro but the song kind of loses my interest after the heavy guitars and vocals come in. This is probably some kind of genre bias, not sure.

Leppakron - definitely my favorite Leppakron song I've heard yet. your ramshackle aesthetic works well for this style. vocals sound good. love the instrumentation. vote.

Lichen Throat - I think I hear improvements in your vocals. my main complaint this fight is that the whole song sounds a bit overcompressed which makes it a bit fatiguing on the ear. Some cool instrumental sections.

Lily & Martin - This one seems a bit low energy for some reason, it's good but doesn't really grab me as much as some of your other entries have. Still I always appreciate the artistry in your songs.

The Magnetic Letters - The fakey horns don't quite work for me. The overall groove seems a bit too off kilter. But these are more matters of taste than anything probably. There are some cool instrumental sections where things really get interesting. I like the vocals. I'm impressed by a lot of stuff about this song but it's not quite a vote for me.

Misc Owl - Lovely vocals, they work so well in this style. Your acoustic guitar sounds really nice on the intro. I'm not as into the rest of the instrumental layers, but they're pretty good. The reverb is a bit overwhelming? Mix could be clearer. Still, I like the song and love your voice. Probable vote despite not totally loving the mix.

Moon Baby - I can't really think of anything to say about this, I like it alright, but it doesn't leave a big impression on me.

Paco - Great Paco song. Love the wah guitar. Fun hand claps. I remember you using hand claps like this on some of your other songs so the challenge worked right into your style eh? vote.

Phlebia - Dreamy synths. Love that intro. Vocals sound cool floating above the mix in a very pleasing way. I like this one quite a bit. vote.

Third Cat (liner notes) - was experimenting with isochronic beats, at first they were overwhelming the mix (first mix I sent in was crazy), but now I like how they sit in the background. overall I'm pretty happy with this one, but as always there's lots I would fix/change with more time/fresher ears.

Tim Hinkle - I dig your '60s psychedelic sort of vibe. Maybe vocals are too dry especially considering how wonky everything else is (wonky in a good tripped out way although that electric guitar might be a little too harsh.) Vocals do sound very good. Maybe vote.

Waikikis - Strong vocals. Cool vibes. Sounds kind of like a live performance? Mix could be better, but it does have that live feel to it that is nice. Again; really strong vocals. This has a classic feel to it, I like those little bass runs. Cool keys. Probable vote.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

thirdcatmusic wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:58 am

Hot Pink Halo - I love your inventiveness. really quirky/interesting instrumentation. I think the vocals work better on this one than on your other songs I've heard recently. this is an almost love, but definitely appreciate and probably vote. I don't think I've ever heard a song that really sounds quite like this one before. was this inspired by anything in particular? I'd be curious to know your influences.
Thanks! This one has a deep, heavy Oingo Boingo ‘Dead Man’s Party’ influence. And when I heard Paco del Stinko’s song the first time, my immediate thought was “yay! another Oingo Boingo fan!”, so I’m curious to see if I’m correct.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

This was a very strong fight! Not everything totally clicked for me, but there was quite a lot I liked about every song this time, so deciding on who I'll vote for this time around is tough, no clear cutoff in my mind for who gets a vote so I might have to pick an arbitrary number X and figure out which are the top X songs in my mind. Lots of quality stuff.

Berkeley Social Scene: This is great! Right in my power poppy sweet spot genre-wise and it's really well executed. I love the melody/progression and the dynamic shifts in instrumentation between the sections--lots of nice space left in here, it moves along briskly and there's stuff to keep your interest all the way through in the arrangement, but every second hasn't been crammed chock full of flourishes. The mix and performances sound crisp and lively. The slidy bass intro is cool, distinctive without feeling self-indulgent. Writing-wise, I think the lyrics are serviceable, but don't seem compelling, and "secret unfolding" seems oddly stressed for some reason (I think "un" is held too long so it feels a little unnatural) but the vocal delivery works. The harmonies are nicely done, although I wanted more! Some BVs in the verse, and more/louder in the chorus, would have been lovely. I dig the chiming guitars that come in at the chorus. This is maybe my favorite of the fight.

Evil Grin: I like the writing in this song--"I wanted you to hold me but you only hold me down" is a great lyrical hook, and with the simple words and regretful tone, it sort of feels like it could be a cover of a lost Lucinda Williams track. I like the distorted guitar tone when it's on its own, but my main complaint about this song is that I think it would be much more effective if the fuzzy guitar were dialed back during the vocals--it's pretty constant and it steps on everything else in the mix. Maybe keeping it to some fills between lines or just in the chorus or something would help bring out the vox and other instruments. The rhythm of the guitars mostly follows the vocal in the chorus as far as emphasis, but I would enjoy hearing it more syncopated against that part. Anyway, this is good stuff, one of my favorite Evil Grin songs so far, I think.

gizo vs. the 17,455: Doot doot doot! So, speaking of sparse arrangements... There is barely anything going on here, arrangement-wise, but I love how well that lets you hear your vocals and your accent in that first verse particularly. (re: mic technique, I think your vocals are sounding good, I don't know if that's your mic technique or any different processing you've applied?) I love the story written between the lines, just a few images sketched out in the lyrics and the rest hovering implied in the gaps. Also the orchestral maneuvers at the end are wonderful, the soaring horns sound thrilling and I was so pleased by the little moment of strings, although I wanted it to build up into a huge, "A Day In the Life"-type crescendo. I think the pace works well for me through the first half of this song but I would have probably liked it to pick up just a bit more as it went along (probably didn't need both the pre-transition doots and the post-transition dahs around 1:30? Maybe the drums or vocal melody could change some more at that point? Maybe add some backing vocals or ornamental instrumental things between the main vocal lines in the last chorus?) I really liked this on the whole though.

Glenn Case: (deep breath before launching into huge run-on sentence:) OK so I had read the reviews to date but hadn't listened to everything yet, and I was listening to these in the car (thanks again to fluffy for making me aware of the podcast feed!) and this song came on and I remembered gizo's comment about knowing it was you within two chords, and I was like "oh yes that's Glenn for sure"! It has your usual interesting harmonization choices, clear production and excellent performances, and relaxed groove. The acoustic guitar sounds really good. (Oh and nice solo, mo, I like those parts where you kind of roll fluidly into the beginning of a phrase across notes.) There are some very slight moments of grit or imperfection to your vocals in this song that I think make them sound better than when they're 100% smooth, e.g. "you should know that it's more than just talk," the 2nd "even though I'm fighting" although they are all still on key and technically great.

Hot Pink Halo: This is interestingly chaotic and I kind of like the chaos (vertiginous!) The metallic chorused-out guitars in the beginning have an interesting, otherworldly, silvery feel although I think they could maybe be used a little more sparingly because of how very loud and distinctive they are--every time they come back in to punctuate between vocal lines it really draws your attention. The backing vocals are very nicely done throughout, subtle and smooth. The semi-rapped lead vocal has lots of character, although I think I would prefer it to sound a bit less processed so you can hear that coming through a bit better. The horns at 00:47 kind of feel like they're coming from a totally different song (reminds me of when my bandmate's amp would sometimes pick up bursts of the local Spanish-language radio station during practice), but I think it's a cool effect. The long notes being held from that part onward have an unsettling droney feeling, not sure what chord they're creating but it feels a bit ominous and at odds with the stuff on top (this to me is probably the main thing keeping it from having the alternating riffs and vocals vibe in the Oingo Boingo song you mentioned). This is such a creatively produced song, I think it would be cool to hear the echoing notes with some actual echo effect on them instead of the fairly dry vocals with the words repeated manually. I love the lyrics, very effective sound-wise.

The Kai Steines Band: I love the acoustic intro (which sounds excellent!) shifting into RAWK. I have to say though that for genre bias reasons, I don't particularly like the distorted guitar tone or the vocal style, so it doesn't do that much for me once it all gets going. Genre bias aside, the vocal melody all kind of hangs out around one note and I don't feel like the delivery is quite charismatic enough or the instrumentation textured enough to pull that off, so right now it feels kind of repetitive. The handclap breaks that do break it up a bit are great, though.

Leppakron: Excellent "Pirates of the Caribbean"-type lyrical take on the title, and good execution, too. This is probably my favorite Leppakron song I've heard yet. Everyone in the arrangement is rowing together, so to speak, all the instrumental choices feel deliberate and thought-out. I love the tin whistle solo, and what my ear tells me is a Mixolydian dip to a b7 in the melody (both the instrument and note IDs might very well be wrong but hopefully it's enough to tell you what I'm trying to refer to, at least). It seems like a good length as is, but even so, I kinda sorta wished for slightly more plot detail once they got to Skeleton Key and all the fun started--there are 3 framing verses and only 1 living skeletons verse really! We want more living skeletons!!! (oh and I'm guessing the issue with "disintegrate" mentioned upthread is that since it has that little descending run, it sounds a little like it accents "DIS" rather than "IN", but it didn't bother me personally, I thought the lyrics were good!) I would have liked a longer outro, it does feel to me like it stops sort of abruptly at the end; maybe another solo/instrumental break there would have been nice. But yeah, more living skeletons, please.

Lichen Throat: This is another one where I'm wondering about the story behind it because I feel like I'm missing some important reference. It has seduction and dead babies, there has to be a novel or something this is referring to, right? At least there's less I can actual Google this time, so this week I'm not going to waste a ton of time looking up things like the history of the Brandy Alexander on Wikipedia. These lyrics aren't my favorites of yours, though; they lack that super-visual, almost cinematic quality you have in the ones I like the best. Vocals sound much more on time/on key than the last fight. I like the opening riff with the fake banjo or whatever that is, and there's some good attention to syncopation and interlocking the various instrumental parts together in the arrangement, lots of interesting details. The phrasing of the "no mirror" lines reminded me of "Turning Japanese" ("no sex, no drugs, no wine, no women...") for a split second there! That little flute thing at ~00:52/1:56/3:12 is pretty great and I particularly like the little breakdown at 2:23ish where it comes in again over the bassline and it sounds kind of ominous.

Lily Plus Martin: I really like the acoustic guitar parts and the military snare, and there are some gorgeous melodic moments in here, like the high parts of "I can go..." through the "opens doors" parts. The subtle ebb and flow of the instruments in the arrangement is very well done. I always enjoy both your vocals, but Lily's vocals are soooo shimmeringly sweet and lovely in this tune in particular! But the stacks of vocal harmonies don't feel very tight, which kind of jumps out at you when the rest is so carefully produced. I like the imagery in the lyrics and the idea of destructive love, but they felt kind of clunky to me overall; certain words like "opportunity" or the repeated "remains" lines didn't feel like they flowed very well in the music, and again maybe because this is not a sloppy punk song but a kind of soft and deliberate piece that should feel poetic, so certain things like the phrase "break stuff" or "we don't need no stinking horses" felt unnatural to me in the context of the song, like the dress code was business casual and those lyrics rolled up in jorts.

The Magnetic Letters: I love all your little instrumental flourishes and melodies, there's something in there that reminds me of some 80's classic--"La Isla Bonita" maybe? Or maybe Toto, like someone else mentioned upthread. I also love the off-kilter, nostalgic but kind of disturbing storytelling, and this is maybe the only literal, non-metaphorical skeleton key of the fight, which automatically makes it an interesting take on the title. I do have the same complaint as I think I mentioned last time, which is that the lyrics don't feel terribly musical to me, or tightly related to this particular melody, like it could be any other random musical backing you picked out of a hat and improvised a tune on top of. I enjoyed the performances and general feel, but the meandering composition of the vocal is a bit hard to get over in what's ultimately a lyrically driven song (plus I do agree it's a bit hard to make out the words, although maybe this is partly a psychological perception thing due to the first line containing six proper names so that you're already fumbling to parse them right out of the gate if you're not reading along with the written lyrics).

miscellaneous owl: Yeah I'm not super happy with my mix either, it got really boomy and blown-out in the midrange and I'm well aware it could use a lot of EQ fixes, but I appreciate everyone confirming that, haha. (super boring navel gazing detail about what happened here: I was playing with this new dynamic EQ plugin I downloaded that's supposed to basically sidechain individual track EQs against each other to clear space in the mix, and then I turned it off because it was making the guitars sound like shit and causing a lot of weird pumping effects, but didn't have time to really fix the cascading issues coming from removing it. But I also forgot to re-render the bass track without it, so if you're wondering why the bass has all the clarity of melted ice cream, that's also why--I mean, yes you can hear there's bass there, I think, but I accidentally EQ'd out all the definition of the actual instrument. Oops.) But oh well, still learning and practicing. I feel pretty good about how the arrangement and actual song came out--the image of vertebrae as dots and dashes communicating a story, and the sort of bleepity synth as a callback to Morse Code noises, and the idea of self-defensive protective detritus like shells and umbrellas and guilt and art being left behind long after what makes us warm and alive has gone. I also did my best to play little arpeggios and riffs on the electric and not just hammer on chords on the beat as is my wont.

Moon Baby: I'm not really into this type of production, but you've done a nice job to my ear, it sounds very good and balanced, well polished. Fun textures and catchy melody. I would prefer the vocals to be a little bit less processed (no idea what you're saying), they somehow sound simultaneously quite loud in the mix and incomprehensible. But I'm probably not the right one to judge here because of genre bias, it makes it difficult... @applesandvodka has a lot of detailed advice that's probably much more useful than anything I have to say here. The lyrics, now that I'm looking them up, seem to not have a whole lot to do with the title (but I'll take your word for it that it was written for the fight and not just something previously recorded and thrown into this fight for kicks!)

Paco del Stinko: Hell yeah. I like the kind of rubberbandy sound to those distorted guitars and the rhythm guitar is so much fun. Are those castanets fulfilling the optional challenge? The breakdown is wonderfully dramatic and vocals sound great there. Lyrics are weird and great. I don't have a lot of specific things to say about this, but it's good stuff and one of my favorites of the fight as well.

Phlebia: Ooh, I like that lush retro synth at the start. I have a general bias against autotune/vocoder/other hyperprocessed vocals, but you've made this pretty charming with all the panning and sweeping and the general sweetness of the melody. I like the bubbling synths and the use of the pads to give it more atmosphere. (What does alenon mean?) For genre bias reasons I'm probably not going to have anything super helpful to say here, but this sounded good, nostalgic and enjoyable, made me want to go dancing with my friend Molly. I got distracted in the middle of this review going off and looking up articles about kandi bracelet etiquette btw.

Third Cat: The outro of this track is my favorite part--not sure exactly what's going on musically but it sounds like there are these periodic shifts to major key that feel like sunlight bursting through clouds. Again, I love the mix of acoustic guitar/vox and electronic everything else, a very nice combo. I think the high tambourine or hat or whatever it is is mixed a bit loud; works well in the more intense parts, but in the quieter parts of the mix it kind of takes over. I like the less-buried sound of your vocals in this track, you can hear them a bit better than usual, and I think that's nice. Pretty harmonies/backing vocals. The song itself doesn't feel like it goes a whole lot of places melodically, but it sounds damn good hanging around in the places it does go.

Tim Hinkle: Creepy drums! Like a monster breathing in a sewer. Your vocals are as warm and rich as ever, excellent vocal performance. Good melody--it has a medieval or 60's/70's folk-rock feel to it, along the lines of Jethro Tull, particularly the synth solo, which I really like. The guitars are extremely distracting to me the whole way through--that high, fuzzy tone draws attention to itself--I think they would have worked better clean and mixed a bit lower relative to the vocals. The rhythm parts and general arrangement could use a change-up or two--instrumentally, this kind of chugs along at the exact same pace and level throughout but I could imagine it really ebbing and flowing to match the elegant vocal line better. (I would personally also like to hear how it would sound if it were just a little bit faster.) I don't know what the lyrics mean, but I like the images they evoke, particularly that psychedelic-horror last verse.

Waikikis: Excellent bluesy performance all round! The vocals are particularly strong, but I also really enjoyed the groove and confidence of the keys. I'm not hugely into this kind of music, but I think you did a nice job. The spoken word parts are a bit low in the mix; the song could have benefitted from bringing them up closer to the same level as the sung vocals. The spoken and sung vox sound really disconnected right now, and also I feel like the vocals are either at 1 (spoken) or 100 (sung), there's not a lot of variation in the intensity of your singing; it's technically great, but it's also all warble and belt and vibrato 100% of the time, which is maybe a genre thing, but having a bit more variation in energy levels and delivery could help move the song along nicely. Actually, overall, I would have liked a bit more of a change in the arrangement (it feels very much at the exact same energy level throughout, including in the solo... maybe bringing instruments in and out, switching up the intensity, going to a sparser breakdown).
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

owl wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Phlebia: Ooh, I like that lush retro synth at the start. I have a general bias against autotune/vocoder/other hyperprocessed vocals, but you've made this pretty charming with all the panning and sweeping and the general sweetness of the melody. I like the bubbling synths and the use of the pads to give it more atmosphere. (What does alenon mean?) For genre bias reasons I'm probably not going to have anything super helpful to say here, but this sounded good, nostalgic and enjoyable, made me want to go dancing with my friend Molly. I got distracted in the middle of this review going off and looking up articles about kandi bracelet etiquette btw.
Haha, alenon was the result of me writing my lyrics in a hurry while traveling so i could have a vocal track to work with. I was trying to refer to alençon, a type of lace but the site that I copied it from had it mispelled or couldn't figure out how to type the 'ç' or whatever. So by the time that I didn't have any recording equipment with me to fix it, I just decided "screw it, it doesn't have to be a word!". I've always had a guilty pleasure in vocal trance, it was really fun trying a stab at it. :)
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:30 pm
owl wrote:

Haha, alenon was the result of me writing my lyrics in a hurry while traveling so i could have a vocal track to work with. I was trying to refer to alençon, a type of lace but the site that I copied it from had it mispelled or couldn't figure out how to type the 'ç' or whatever. So by the time that I didn't have any recording equipment with me to fix it, I just decided "screw it, it doesn't have to be a word!". I've always had a guilty pleasure in vocal trance, it was really fun trying a stab at it. :)
OHHHH! OK, thanks for explaining, I tried to look this up and got a lot of results about Al-Anon. Yeah, it doesn't have to be a word, this definitely seems like one of those tracks where sound takes priority over content, but I feel better knowing what it was intended to be.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

owl wrote:
gizo vs. the 17,455: Doot doot doot! So, speaking of sparse arrangements... There is barely anything going on here, arrangement-wise, but I love how well that lets you hear your vocals and your accent in that first verse particularly. (re: mic technique, I think your vocals are sounding good, I don't know if that's your mic technique or any different processing you've applied?) I love the story written between the lines, just a few images sketched out in the lyrics and the rest hovering implied in the gaps. Also the orchestral maneuvers at the end are wonderful, the soaring horns sound thrilling and I was so pleased by the little moment of strings, although I wanted it to build up into a huge, "A Day In the Life"-type crescendo. I think the pace works well for me through the first half of this song but I would have probably liked it to pick up just a bit more as it went along (probably didn't need both the pre-transition doots and the post-transition dahs around 1:30? Maybe the drums or vocal melody could change some more at that point? Maybe add some backing vocals or ornamental instrumental things between the main vocal lines in the last chorus?) I really liked this on the whole though.
Thanks owl, and all for your comments. I totally understand what people have said about the lack of movement in this one - I took far too long to start anything and the whole thing ended up as a last minute production, so I didn't give myself enough time to get some better instrumentation or dynamic in it.

Re: the doot -> dah transition, that's a solid point you make. I actually had a doot-dah transition after every verse to begin with, so I was on the right track with reducing them, but I agree that I could have taken a few more cuts to it.
.sig
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Berkeley Social Scene wins!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Ooh, Congratz. Barely beating out Glenn. I just listened to a snippet of each song to get a feel and I like them both. Good fight.

Also, I'm happy to see that Paco got some love with a nice third place finish. I liked that song a lot as well.

owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Congrats BSS!
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Woooooo BSS!
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

I'm finally awake when the winners are announced! I loved all the songs in the top! Congratulations to everyone!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

CongraBSS!
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Berkeley Social Scene—I really enjoyed this. Great melodies. I particularly like the higher pitched guitar that accompanies the vocal in the chorus. My one nitpick is that the solo, though performed well, doesn’t seem to go with the rest of the song. Nevertheless, this may be my favorite BSS song.

Evil Grin—While I often like a doubled vocal, I don’t think it works here. I think this song calls for having your voice ring clear and float above the music, but the doubling (or maybe just the mix) kind of mires the vocal in the rest of the music. I felt like I wanted the vocal to break free. The rest of the song is decent blues-rock execution.

gizo vs. the 17,445: I wanted this get going, but it never quite did. I thought it felt like an extended intro to a more up-tempo song. I do like what you’ve done with the horn mix, though. The abrupt ending is good, too.

Glenn Case—This song is not in a style that I generally like, but I appreciate the high quality of your musicianship and of the mix. I would, however, like to hear more of the low end of your voice. It seems like you’re mostly singing in your upper register, and some lower-pitched sections would be welcome.

Hot Pink Halo—You seem to have a talent for making weird musical elements coalesce into a cohesive song. Last week we had the typewriter, and now there’s the rap/horn/synth mix. This song has a lot of elements I generally dislike, but somehow it works.

The Kai Steines Band—Straightforward, well-executed rock is always welcome. This sounds like it came straight off the AOR radio station I listened to as a teenager. I might like a slightly cleaner vocal, but this is definitely a good song. Nice work.

Leppakron—Your lyrical take was one of the other options I considered for myself. (I was surprised that there isn’t really an island called Skeleton Key. How can that be?) This is a fun song, and it sounds good. You’ve got some nice rhymes, too. “Living bones of the dead” is a great phrase.

Lichen Throat (me)—Sorry about the loud mix; I neglected to implement a volume-reducing step that I usually use. I agree with the comments that this is too sonically dense; it needs more space to breathe and decompress. Lyrically, this is a fairly straightforward paraphrasing of Sartre’s No Exit. I don’t think the lyrics hold up very well without knowledge of the source material, which is something I need to keep in mind in the future, when I inevitably try this kind of song again. (And owl, I’m flattered that you took the time to look up Brandy Alexander last time.)

Lily Plus Martin—Both the male and female vocals sound good. I feel like this song needs more musical repetition, a clearer rhythm, or something like that. There’s a sense of wandering and aimlessness that fits with the lyrics but is maybe not that great to listen to. I like the reverb on the vocals.

The Magnetic Letters—I’m not sure I understand quite what you’re going for here, but there are several elements I like. The sax (which I usually abhor) is used to good effect. I like the weird rhythm, too. Overall, the creativity in your arrangement is what makes the song so fun and engaging.

miscellaneous owl—This reminds me of the best songs of a band called The Ladybug Transistor. The lyrics are beautiful: sweet, sad, and elegiac. You always have such wonderful vocal melodies. I like this more every time I hear it.

Moon Baby—The clear, straightforward chord progression on the synth works well and sets a strong baseline for the rest of the song, allowing the otherworldly vocal to be free, but still be part of a cohesive song. I haven’t listened to many songs in this genre, but maybe I should, since I enjoyed this. I would have liked this to be longer and have a less perfunctory ending.

Paco del Stinko—I really dig the guitar rhythm in the left ear. It sounds like you had fun recording this, and that enjoyment is transmitted to the listener. I like the verses more than the chorus. The mix is spacious and clear.

Phlebia—Once again, you’re doing things I don’t quite understand, but I like the song anyway. I like the separated drum mix, as well as the electronification of the vocals. I feel like I’m floating in outer space, with an overload of information coursing through my nervous system. In a good way.

Third Cat—I found the mix a bit disconcerting when listening on headphones, especially at the beginning of the song. Your voice is great—so mellow and pure. I don’t think this is one of your best songs from a compositional perspective, but the vocal performance is spot-on.

Tim Hinkle—I’m torn between feeling like this needs to break out halfway through and feeling that it’s fine as it is. It’s just a little disturbing—pleasantly so. The parts where the notes suddenly come in quicker succession are my favorite bits of the song.

Waikikis—Not my favorite genre, but your soulful singing is a delight to listen to. I’d like a fuller recording of both the vocal and the instruments. This belongs on a jukebox in every dive bar from Detroit to Mobile.
Last edited by lichenthroat on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Oh congrats to the BSS, and also Glenn and Paco!

Personally, I think five of you were very generous to me, thanks. ;)
.sig
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

lichenthroat wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 am
miscellaneous owl—This reminds me of the best songs of a band called The Ladybug Transistor. The lyrics are beautiful: sweet, sad, and elegiac. You always have such wonderful vocal melodies. I like this more every time I hear it.
Aw, thank you, I'm a big Elephant Six fan just generally, so I like that comparison! although The Ladybug Transistor was one of the ones I never got deeply into (just haven't explored their catalog that much). I think our own Pepper Jane played a show with them last summer!

I took many years of French but never got around to reading No Exit, so thanks for explaining that one :)