Take a walk down (Liberty Street prefight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Re: Take a walk down (Liberty Street prefight)

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

New things for me:
  • Heavily acoustic driven, at least in the first half. It's not that I never add acoustic guitar to anything, both Pocket Full Of Bones and the Dregs have them present, just not really as the main element leaving the song. But I didn't introduce another instrument other than the acoustic guitar until like 1:10 or thereabouts this time, so that's new.
  • Tempo change. Never done a tempo change before, it switches from 114bpm to 135bpm about halfway through.
  • Multitracking of the same instrumental track. I was trying to get the acoustic to sound a lot fuller, so I recorded it in stereo 10 times, overlaid all 10 of the tracks on top of each other in the song, and mixed each one slightly differently. Also each one has slightly different mic placement, and some of them I was strumming halfway up the neck and some way down near the bridge with different thicknesses of pick. Sort of gave it a bit of a dreamy sound. There are also 6 tambourines and the backing vocals are layered 3 times.
  • Major key heavy rock in the back half. Well. Not technically major key, actually Lydian cause I still keep the flattened 7th. The first part of the song is sort of ambiguous major/minor cause I use so many suspended 2nds throughout, which isn't new for me.
  • Drum brushes in the first half.
  • New, for me, mic placement for the drums (on the floor kind of close to the kick drum underneath the snare). This made the cymbals less overpowering. And while it made the kick sound way too "thuddy" in the mix, I sort of got it to work through creative use of limiting.
  • Can't say I've ever written a song this unabashedly sexual before, though Personal Space had that verse about my cat staring at us. Oops. At least it's mostly poetic about it.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory
Pronouns: he/him

Post by gizo »

crumpart wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:06 am
  • Chorus with no words, which will probably be interpreted as “no chorus”
Ooh - will this be like My Morning Jacket’s beautiful ‘Wordless Chorus’?
.sig
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

New stuff for me?

Well, I write a song, which was new for 2020....
and I stole a lyric from one of my favourite song fighters...
and I held back from submitting for a few days...

But nothing too adventurous. I was just happy to have the headspace to make music this week.
.sig
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

New things I tried:
  • submitting before the deadline
  • recording before the deadline
  • starting writing before the deadline
  • not being part of the EU
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:19 am
  • Can't say I've ever written a song this unabashedly sexual before, though Personal Space had that verse about my cat staring at us. Oops. At least it's mostly poetic about it.
I can already safely say these are the most poetic lyrics about post-vasectomy barebacking I have ever heard.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

owl wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:51 am

I can already safely say these are the most poetic lyrics about post-vasectomy barebacking I have ever heard.
Ha, thanks! I asked my wife for ideas for the prompt, cause I was drawing a blank at first. Without missing a beat, she immediately said, "a vasectomy!". I couldn't NOT roll with it.

I actually haven't had it done...yet. But I have big plans for my tax refund cash. And only part of it involves music gear. :D
Last edited by sleepysilverdoor on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove

Post by gizo »

Post-Vas is a great place to be.
.sig
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

I'm in! First entry since last year's Nur Ein...
I did try something new: recording the heaviest song I've ever done. Heaviness is usually not something I am trying to achieve in my songs, so not sure how it turned out. Guess it's kind of metal.
Also, I used "Liberty Street" metaphorically in my lyric, it doesn't refer to the famous one in Manhattan or any other specific street of that name.