Pick a cheek (Kissing Contest Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Re: Pick a cheek (Kissing Contest Reviews)

Post by jast »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 am
Actually, it can work there, too. Two tracks panned hard left and right. But the timing can't be too far off. Another trick is the Haas effect. Pan them both wide, nudge one track back 20ms (give or take 10 to taste) and then balance the volume. Works great on acoustic guitars.
There is one major problem with that: psychoacoustic processing in the brain will not treat the resulting sound as "centred". Instead, it will be perceived to be coming from the side that has less delay. (This is called the precedence effect, though some people still call it Haas effect.)

To fix that you have two basic options:

a) Mix in the original signal panned centre, but cut by a few dB (-6 or even more). Then add one delayed copy in the left channel and another copy with a different delay in the right channel. The disadvantage is that the sound becomes even muddier due to now having three voices.
b) Put the original signal in the Mid channel and the delayed version in the Side channel (requires Mid/Side processing). This makes for a subtler but more balanced effect. Additional advantage: if someone downmixes your audio to mono, the processing mathematically cancels out.

My StereoPan VST plugin implements both approaches (and a low-pass filter if you use the (a) mode, to reduce high-frequency content on the centre copy of the signal and hopefully make it blend in a little better). Unfortunately I haven't looked at in ages, so it still only supports Windows and only 32-bit environments.

Finally, another great trick is to pan the two copies hard and apply a tiny pitch shift to one or both. This is another rather subtle effect, though, and not suited for making it sound like you have two guitars when you actually have one - it just makes your one guitar sound "wider".
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

jast wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:57 am
My StereoPan VST plugin implements both approaches (and a low-pass filter if you use the (a) mode, to reduce high-frequency content on the centre copy of the signal and hopefully make it blend in a little better). Unfortunately I haven't looked at in ages, so it still only supports Windows and only 32-bit environments.
Two things.
1) I'm in 64 bit *sniff*
2) I love this line in your description, "If you can’t figure out how to use it, tough luck."
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Adnama17
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, uke, mando, clarinet, smidge of piano
Recording Method: Reaper and a Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: Adnama17, Evil Grin
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Adnama17 »

Is there a Dr Seuss version of this tutorial I can read? Maybe a picture book? I just can't wrap my mind around stuff like this.

So I won't.

For now.

Ahhh!
And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves -Walt Whitman
shoehornTC
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Uke
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: shoehornTC

Post by shoehornTC »

Better late than never. I forgot to vote. But I would have voted for all of them!! Is that a thing? I love that I rediscovered this place, nice job all. :)

Adnama17 - love this!! Just a fun song, which I love. Love the change before the chorus. Some friends of mine have a band that sounds like this, this could be them, it is eerie.

Berkeley Social Scene - Very well done. Love the feel. Keys rule!!

Brown Word… - none more brown. Classic rock, vocals stand out on this one.

Cavedwellers - Cruise rock, the guitar is awesome! This style is featured prominently in my musical career before I got old and boring, nice work, love the laugh at the end.

Grosstones - Love the reggae change and then back again, I wanna dance.

Hot Pink Halo - Wall of sound, “victory is mine”, none more Hot Pink.

OG Lawn Darts - Backing tracks are well done, good vocals, I like this, the whoa’s are great!! This is up my ally. :)

Paco Del Stinko - bass line is killer, love the mix and vox in the mix. Also up my alley!! Early 80’s brit rock thing going. Nice.

Phlebia - I used to work with a guy who would slip me mix tapes of music like this, at first it scared me, but I kept listening, this is great, for sure one of my favs of yours, which often go over my little “3minute pop song head”.

Pigfarmer jr - makes me laugh, nicely done!! :) short but sweet.

R. Mosquizzle - shorter, but no less sweet. Wish it were longer, but listened twice for good measure.

ShoehornTC - This lyrics took me longer than normal to write, I almost gave up, but it was fun to record, at least three “first takes” on the tracks. A little cynical and political but that just pops out, I can’t control it. Ha. thanks for the comments and votes!! :)
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 am
jast wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:57 am
Two things.
1) I'm in 64 bit *sniff*
2) I love this line in your description, "If you can’t figure out how to use it, tough luck."
32bit plugins should work just fine in ol' 64bit Reaper.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Aye. I remember that now, but I did have a couple go kaput at the upgrade. Probably coincidental.

I did use a Jast JS plugin/script for a while back from the old chatroom days.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang