You can't restart if you don't (Shutdown reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Re: You can't restart if you don't (Shutdown reviews.)

Post by reve »

Sober wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:42 am
Chthonic Chthock: Feels very Flight of the Conchords. I want heavy gated snare.
Ha! See, the heavy gated snare was my first thought as well! But... it just didn't sound right. So we went for something else from the 80s. Instead I opted for a (slightly water damaged) Yamaha RX drum machine from 1985 (we always use actual 80s crap for our 80s songs). You may recognize it from New Order, Sisters of Mercy, Cocteau Twins, INXS, etc.

It's funny that you reference that particular FoC track -- I've always thought "Fashion" was like, most perfect representation of what 80s music _should be_. But when watching the show I'd always be pulled out of my suspension-of-disbelief zone while watching FoC by the ~$5k Minimoog sitting in the corner of their room. That Moog was heavily used in Fashion! And, unsurprisingly, what we used in our track this week... except ours were DIY cloned circuits.

Point being, yeah. You nailed it in your analysis. :)
-- reve mosquito.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Cocteau Twins used a Yamaha RX? Weird, I always thought they used Linndrum, but maybe I'm getting them mixed in my mind with someone else.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:17 am
Cocteau Twins used a Yamaha RX? Weird, I always thought they used Linndrum, but maybe I'm getting them mixed in my mind with someone else.
No dude, you just have excellent ears. The early EPs were totes Linn. Then I think they went 707... Blue Bell Knoll would be the classic RX record. That's about when drum machines died as studio tools and everything got conflated with actual samplers.
-- reve mosquito.
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Drums, Keys, Bass, Handclaps
Submitting as: Geech Sorensen
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Geech »

Shutdown Reviews

Brown Word and the Big Whine: The song itself is sort of grunge-by-numbers, except for the pirate-sounding middle bit. Like Mudhoney’s kid brother? The weirded vocals really put me off. They sound a little like Jello Biafra meets the chipmunks?

Chthonic Chthock: Should I be doing aerobics in leg warmers to this in a montage training video? This is like Devo from 1985, which was definitely my least favorite period of that group. I think the part I like the most is the mostly instrumental bit with your oh-ohs. I wish it went back to the chorus instead of ending there, though I like the ending “Yeah”. Good use of background vocals.

Geech Sorensen: Yeah, me! The story of the true hero of the movie Ratatouille - the health inspector!

I wanted to do something stripped down, something that sounded like me bashing on my acoustic at home, but yet with enough variation happening to keep it interesting. The panning changes were proxies for the introductions of other instruments, like drums or bass. I’m surprised that people thought it was a straight-up mistake, I think it sounds cool and is an interesting hook that is repeated in the second half of the song. I am particularly proud of the bridge and how the various parts, including the harmonies, come together. And the lyrics.

John Gillespie: This is nice. Good guitar and vocal interplay. This reminds of something, but I can’t place what it is. The DBs maybe? Nicely done. I wish it were a little more hi-fi, but the vibe is cool. I like the organ pads. Good use of space, seldom scene in Song Fight. This is a bit too long though, I kinda wanted it to end before the last chorus with the instrumental section.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: I tire of the pandemic and also of songs, shows, news, commercials and media references to it, so it was hard for me to dig this. I just want it all to end already. The production on this is so clear, though, and the keyboard lines are hooky. I want to give them a hug. That said, I want your vocal melodies to have some more complexity and variety to them.

Paco del Stinko: This song made me LOL crack up. A lot of fun. Nicely done. Great backgrounds and live feel. Leads reminded me of J Mascis.

Phlebia: This is my favorite song I’ve heard of yours. Very clear production for this vibe. I knew you went for the Cure but it reminded me more of Joy Division, except for the bridge. The chorus is hooky and I sang it around my house during the week. There are some vocal pitch issues and the structure is a little weird, but the bones are good. My one real wish is that you ended the chorus with “I never shutdown” overlapping into the subsequent part, where “down” would hit the one of that part. That would have been so good.

roymond feat. mo: Is there a song in here? It’s just atmospherics to me, without any hooks. Some cool sounds though…

seemanski: Solid sounding, great recording, though this goes on too long for me (says the man whose song clocks in barely over 2 minutes). I definitely got bored halfway through the solo. You step a little close to aping The Black Keys - be careful.

shrts: I got a cookie, looked up and this ended.

Sober: Great recording, fantastic sound, moving story, strong performances, tight arrangement. All the pieces are there. Hard to believe this is a Song Fight entry, it’s that good. The drum sounds are great for what I know is a machine. Maybe I would put the keyboard louder? I don’t have much else to say, you should be proud of this.

Sweeney Toad: This is not my thing, I have to admit. It is so bleak sounding. The alternating ping pong left/right kick snare is weird -> rap tracks usually have kick and snare right up the middle for a reason. Everything hangs off them.

Sweeney Toad x Johnny Cashpoint: I like the music more on this one than the other Sweeney Toad track. These two tracks help me imagine what an ST album would sound like - not my thing, but there is a common artistic approach here. I like the “I shutdown and then go blind” part the most, by far. I like that guitar line there a lot and how it ends.

Tomdg: This is so minimal; I like the vibe. The atmospherics you put in half-way through are cool. Vocals are too low in the mix. Why are the two main instruments completely panned opposite each other? Put the vocal straight up the middle. Pan the guitar maybe a little to one side if you want. Harder pan is ok if there are other instruments I would say.

WreckdoM: I shut down on this. The music is sort of a bad acid trip. Horrible lyrics and cookie monster vocals. And vomiting in the track? Ugh.

My faves, besides my own, of course, were Sober, Phlebia, Paco and John G. Ken and seemanski, I dug on yours, too.
Last edited by Geech on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/// --- geech.com --- ///
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

reve wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:07 am
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:17 am
No dude, you just have excellent ears. The early EPs were totes Linn. Then I think they went 707... Blue Bell Knoll would be the classic RX record. That's about when drum machines died as studio tools and everything got conflated with actual samplers.
Well it may be a function of which of their albums I listen to the most: Garlands and Victorialand which are either linndrum like you said or...well, pretty much no drums. Do you know what they used for percussion on Four Calendar Cafe and Milk and Kisses? It's audibly a different one from the Blue Bell Knoll era, but I can't place it. Just a sampler?

I've also never had any luck figuring out what Front 242 was using on 5:22:9:12 off: it sounds amazing to me, but in my quest of downloading as many sample packs of classic drum machines as possible I've yet to find it.

And Geech: you're hardly the first one to pick up unintended Joy Division vibes? It's weird, I don't care much for Joy Division theirself, but I think I dig enough stuff that was influenced by them that the sonic influence must bleed through regardless. Probably the motorik + high bass combo!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Geech wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:43 am
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:That said, I want your vocal melodies to have a some more complexity and variety to them.
You'll probably feel the same way about my Take it Outside. (Though the melody allowed for hella harmonies!) I've been thinking about this tendency in my writing lately as well. This week I heard a number of Tom Petty songs sung by guy from Rogue Wave for his series of videos, 'Petty a Day in May." https://www.facebook.com/roguewave/ Tom Petty also has fairly simple repetitive melodies, not too complex lyrics, and yet his songs are classics. I'm not saying I'm at his level, but that maybe it is okay to write songs with simple repetitive melodies. I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to justify myself. Mostly, I'm still just trying to get it done and hit the notes.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Geech »

ken wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 am
Geech wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:43 am
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:That said, I want your vocal melodies to have a some more complexity and variety to them.
...Tom Petty also has fairly simple repetitive melodies, not too complex lyrics, and yet his songs are classics. I'm not saying I'm at his level, but that maybe it is okay to write songs with simple repetitive melodies. I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to justify myself. Mostly, I'm still just trying to get it done and hit the notes.
Right! I have the same feeling about a lot of Tom Petty - Yer So Bad and You Don't Know How It Feels, for example. Is Tom on Song Fight? I should let him know about this.

I'm just trying to encourage you to try to expand a bit. I've gotten this feedback, too, and I certainly grant that it's tough to change. Maybe instead of many tracks of vocals for a song, try to hit 1 or 2 with more complexity, comping the best bits of takes?
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Sober wins!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Re: You can't restart if you don't (Shutdown reviews)

Not remotely surprised by this victory cause that song was amazing!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Ya, congratz!
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Geech »

Unsurprisingly, Sober, you ran away with it. A great song. Looking forward to more at this level from you.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Wow, thanks y'all. Am traveling this week, so it may be a bit before I'm back. Great fight everyone!
🤠