Talk trash and (Take It Outside reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Talk trash and (Take It Outside reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

And enjoy the early summer weather (if you're in the Northern Hemisphere.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Talk trash and (Take It Outside Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please post your lyric here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11809

You can read 'em there as well.... if everyone cooperates.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Talk trash and (Take It Outside Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
claytantor
A New Player
Submitting as: Deeporb
Pronouns: IT

Re: Talk trash and (Take It Outside reviews)

Post by claytantor »

I dont want to "talk trash" but I do want to talk about what you all think about a 99.5% Deep Learning generated song.
========
Clay Graham
Nudger of DeepOrb.net
https://deeporb.net
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Wow, lots of people channeling psychedelia in some fashion this week. Including us, I guess. Good work, everybody!

Brown Word, et. al.
I would love to hear a mix of this without the synths. I think the trem guitars work real well with the bass tone here, but I'd bring the drums way forward. Solid menacing rock.

Deep Orb.
This is the dystopian future where our AI overlords are taking acid. I liked it, but it scared me. When I was a child there were things called "Compact Discs" and sometimes bands would put a "hidden" track at the end of the disc. This would be the dopest hidden track EVAR. Anyway, I assume this is generated algorithmically and would love to see your code as this doesn't sound like something that came out of Amper or Jukedeck or whatever. It sounds way more old-school neural networky, so I'm curious to hear about the process.

Gaping Maw.
Well that really _was_ "whole lot different than you did it before," so good on you for carrying that concept through. There's probably some 70s / 80s / 00s metaphor tied in there that went over my head. I think I liked the first style the best, but that may be just the group influence here.

Grosstones
Dude you straight tappin' that intro? I wish I had those skills. Maybe it's just the mix, but the actual bird sounds kind of muddy up the sound for me. It all really makes me think of the early aughts band Grandaddy. They too were able to marry this respect for nature with, you know, roack.

J. Gillespie.
That sounds like a real chorus pedal -- super lush! I think the vocals might be a little hot and trebely. That tone works super well at like 1:30 mark with the falsetto wooos, but when the regular vocals come back in it... no longer sounds as good.

Ken, et. al.
Man Ken, you never fail to deliver a classy pop track. Also: thank you for not mastering too loudly. Q: What's that organ?

P. Del Stinko
Oh Paco! This dissonance and glorious vocal harmonies and... weird minor third guitar harmonies are a lovely counterpoint to your usual straight pop rock. I dig it!

Pannacotta Amry
You know what one of my favorite, most underrated bands from the 90s was? Sammy. I think you might like them. Check out Tales of Great Neck Glory, and then work your way back to Debut Album.

Phlebia.
As soon as I heard it kick in I was like "oh, this is gonna be Phelb's track." YOU DID NOT DISAPPOINT. I can't say I totally understand what you're doing or trying to do, but I like it. Favorite song of the fight.

S. Toad.
Mr. Toad. The production is super interesting and I'm curious as to what you're sampling here. These lyrics would be okay if it was someone else's guitar-over-fruityloops type track, but coming from someone with your lyrical prowess it seems a liiitle like you kinda dashed it out.

Third Cat.
So I really like the way you rode the glitch starting at 1:10 or so. I frankly could listen to like another ten minutes of stuff like that. Respect to ELpH!

T. Roktot.
I've listened to this song like four times now. I don't totally know how to analyze it because if I had a wheelhouse (and I do not), SERIOUS ROCK would be outside of it. Blase pop, synthpop, black metal, hip hop... these are genres I can understand and analyze somewhat critically. But after a number of listens, all I can say is that it sounds like you achieved what you were going for, and I respect your performance. Good job.

Thanks for contributing, everyone! I loved listening to all your entries!
-- reve mosquito.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I'll be doing a 'Take It Outside' Listening Party after the Nur Ein Round 4 is over.
Drop on in and chat if you have some time! Monday at 9pm EDT.

https://youtu.be/TiZIz_Q8u8g
claytantor
A New Player

Post by claytantor »

reve wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:21 pm

Deep Orb.
This is the dystopian future where our AI overlords are taking acid. I liked it, but it scared me. When I was a child there were things called "Compact Discs" and sometimes bands would put a "hidden" track at the end of the disc. This would be the dopest hidden track EVAR. Anyway, I assume this is generated algorithmically and would love to see your code as this doesn't sound like something that came out of Amper or Jukedeck or whatever. It sounds way more old-school neural networky, so I'm curious to hear about the process.
Great review! Yes, this is a homegrown AI built on top of Tensorflow, Magenta, PyTorch, and some OpenSeq2Seq libraries from NVidia. There is way too much code in this beast but I am proud that it is the heirloom tomato of Deep learning music. It's all built on top of public domain data and I can create new learning models based on the Genre and theme I am attempting to address. In this case, Dark Cowboy, whose sources were about 200 country-western songs filtered from a 70K Midi library I have and the Million Song Database. The lyrics were trained using PD cowboy poetry from 1890-1956

I really want real singing but right now I have NVidia driver version conflict between Magenta and PyTorch that is blocking me. So until then its "spoken word" versions of lyrics.

I can get into the gory details if peeps are interested. Also, there is an Alexa skill I have in beta if anyone wants to participate.

Clay
========
Clay Graham
Nudger of DeepOrb.net
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

reve wrote:
Ken, et. al.
Man Ken, you never fail to deliver a classy pop track. Also: thank you for not mastering too loudly. Q: What's that organ?
Thanks! That is the Sampleson CollaB3. You can get it for free! https://sampleson.com/collab3-free-tonewheel-organ.html
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

reve wrote:
I can't say I totally understand what you're doing or trying to do, but I like it.
If it's any consolation, I'm not entirely sure what I was going for either. Jangle space slackergaze? I didn't have lyrics until I told my first grader he needed to either eat his Popsicle over a plate or take it outside. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Hey reve,
Thanks for the review... I had to google ‘blasé pop’ and ‘black metal’....so, I can kinda understand your confusion toward my entry....LOL !!
Cya,
Tob
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Thanks again Buffo Yux for the listening party.
Lots of good songs this week.
The Nur Ein is always fun to listen to. Although, a little confusing with the ‘shadow resurrection’.....
Thanks again,
Cya,
Tob
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

toby rok - funky and rocking i dig it, catchy chorus, the put up or shut up reminds me of a trey parker thing and i love that. now the whole song reminds me of a trey parker song, i keep picturing this being on the orgasmo soundtrack. if you have not seen that movie please do your self a favor and go watch it right now. good song!

phlebia - so i think i've said a number of times that wreckdom often reminds me of beat happening but i think you sound EVEN MORE like beat happening in this song. Not exactly what I was picturing when you said shoegaze but as the song goes on i can hear it, i like. this is pretty cool and it's impressive that you can do so many styles. good stuff!

third cat - if this came on as a music video on beavis & butthead they'd probably be all like "ummmm is this college music?" they probably wouldn't like it and would probably change it before it was even over and it's already a pretty short song. i'm not beavis, nor am i butthead so... i liked it actually, it was still a little too short though i think, felt more like a demo.

ken super - i'm feeling it, it's catchy and has a nice feel good vibe. maybe going outside is still a good thing? maybe going outside doesn't mean death? that's the vibe i'm getting from this song, thanks for that. this song brings me a lot of nostalgia of the times when going outside was normal, maybe we'll get there again one day right? i hope so, good song!

the pancake ricotta army - i like this, it's nice and any song that talks about flexing muscles gets a vote from me. i really like the chorus on this, like the music part and the singing parts go well together, and the little break down right after is dope. nice little beat drop clap thing too! good song!

the gross tones - the singing is weird in the beginning, but like in a good way, i like weird stuff though. i really like the bird chirps, anything with birds gets an auto vote from me. and watching tv and not making friends!? this song is right up my alley, there's those birds again, good stuff!

deep orb whiskey - is this that song made by a robot or something? it sounds like it. this is weird. that's good though. who is this robot? can we meet them? are they playing an instrument? what is happening? i really like these lyrics, the devil is totally under rated. i too also enjoy laughing at the darkness. i want to hear your robot do a rap song next time, then send it over to my house to clean my garage, thanks.

paco - i really like all the paco songs, you really do have like a hybrid rocky horror dave bowie vibe and it's fantastic. you should make music videos for some of your songs, have you ever? i think they would be rad, good song!

reve and ujn - ok this is absolutely my favorite song of the whole fight. i really like this singer and the music is really good too. it's kind of like the beatles maybe? i don't know what it is but i just really like it a lot, i just wish the song was a little longer. do you guys have an album? i want to hear more songs, definite vote! obviously

john gillespie - sounds like the 80's, i'm feeling that. the singing is cool, it slightly reminds me of dino jr, not so much the chorus but the verses, this is pretty cool, good job!

gaping maw - pretty long intro but i'm feeling it, i like jam band stuff, oh there's the singing. pretty chill, i'm digging it. ohh the change up! i'm really digging that! and then back to the jam band vibe but kind of like in 80s vibe kind of way, this song is kind of all over the place and then another change up and it reminds more of the late 90's, it works though, good song!

brown word - it's the riot grrl band singing about riots, what more can you ask for? i think matt pinfield would like this and so do i. good stuff!

sween toad - it's me, i really enjoyed making this beat, it was my first time using a mellotron vst plugin and i really liked it, i've already used it again for the next fight. i think james owen told me about the mellotron because i heard it in one of his songs and i really liked it, the mellotron is my new favorite instrument! my lyrics are about depression, wooo!
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Review time!

Brown Word - I enjoyed this, though I wish you’d bring the tuba back. Riots make for a far more interesting topic than COVID-19 and quarantines and such. I can’t say that this one really sticks in my head that much, but it’s got a nice tone to it. I like how glass got broke, and not broken.

Deep Orb Whiskey - Oh dear! I know this was procedurally generated, and the words are fascinating in a particular abstract kind of way. This feels like a very, very deconstructed country song. I kind of wish that the procedural generation was tied to less “dinky” sounds. Is there any way for it to trigger a VST synth or something? I found this intellectually interesting.

Gaping Maw - I really like the first half of this especially. The drum fills, while I know they’re a virtual drummer, are engaging. Did you program those or are they done by some fancy algorithm or something. The middle part is kind of neat, but not quite up my alley, too “rock anthem”. But as usual, super slick production. The back half when it gets more minimal and quiet sounds pretty good to my ears. I always admire ambitious song structures, and this has it it spades. Does it all tie together? I don’t know?

Gross Tones - I reluctantly enjoyed this, the tapping in the intro was good and I liked the birds. The high note in the verse melody was nice. Chorus is boring, mix is kind of muddy.

John Gillespie - Well, the verses are great and I like the falsetto in the chorus a lot, it provides this kind of floaty ethereal feeling that is missing from way too many entries here. The guitar tone is really nice, what chorus pedal are you using? I’m assuming that’s a chorus pedal. The high notes feel a *little* forced at times, but mine usually do too so who am I to complain. This has a great vibe to it and I dig the chord progression.

Ken’s Super Band - I don’t know if I have an innate bias towards extremely straightforward I-IV-V tracks. I usually find them kind of dull and this one isn’t really doing anything for me. I suppose it’s pleasant enough on my ears, and I can’t find anything objectionable about it but I feel like it plays things really safe and doesn’t interest me. All of the imagery in the lyrics is simple and pleasant. That’s what this is. Pleasant. But...not for me. Though I like to take some food outside and drink some wine while grilling.

Paco del Stinko - You know I never figured out exactly how to describe your sound but Sweeney’s description of it as “Bowie + Rocky Horror” is not a bad one. I enjoyed this one, it’s catchy and well executed, and the riff was pretty rad. What kind of monster are we talking about here? It’s monstrous, but doesn’t seem to threaten me all that much. But then again my cat fits that description.

Pannacotta Army - Groovy, that descending riff sits well with me and I like the production on this. By the end I have to admit my engagement kind of fades a bit, but it was still a pleasant listen and definitely competently executed. I think it’s probably just personal preference of mine from a style standpoint. I’m either stupid or you didn’t post the lyrics. Good mix!

Phlebia - I prefer Isn’t Anything and You Made Me Realise to Loveless. This song is about melting popsicles.

Reve and Ujn - What kind of glorious Sgt. Peppersey songwriting is this. It’s short but sweet, like all of the elements of this came together in a great way, and all of your complaints about not liking your vocal take were wrong. The melody is well written and engaging, I love the struggle of the protagonist to get over their anxiety and go outside. And that ending was just brilliant. I’m with Sweeney, this is the best, so that’s two out of three so far...and that third was you.

Sweeney Toad - The mellotron synth adds a great touch! I’m not sure if it’s where you’re totally new to producing for the most part, but you tend to add all these dissonant notes to your backing tracks that don’t quite fit but still do a great job at producing a kind of off-kilter, anxious vibe. As for the lyrics, I like this approach of starting *every* line with “WHY”. And yeah, I dig the mellotron.

Third Cat - I only have two cats, should I get a third one? It’s nice to hear your tracks, because you’re like our local “atmosphere champ”, even though a lot of the time I wish they’d flex a bit more and linger in my speakers a little longer. I like that wash of delay and the tremolo that’s all over this. This is simple and sweet and it works well, I wish it had some angelic backing vocals or something, it makes me think of Slowdive for some reason.

Toby Roktot - I’m amazed that this is one of the only songs in the fight that’s literally about a bar fight. Like with a title called “take it outside”, you’d have thought that this would have been done by other people but nope! Anyway, I really enjoyed this tune. I don’t know why but there’s something about the kind of “gritty” vocal delivery and the subject matter that kind of gives me Lemmy vibes. The guitar solo at the end is really good, and unlike most solos here not totally unwelcome.

Top 3: Reve, Toby, then maybe a Sweeney/Third Cat/John Gillespie tie for 3rd?
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

brown word - I like the bass alright. the mix is a bit of a mess. doesn't sound very cohesive to me, too muddy. my favorite bit is the change-up around 1:45. I like that guitar riff.

deep orb whiskey - I have a great fear of AI musical compositions; that one day AI will be able to make such great music that no one wants to listen to human compositions anymore and it fills me with some kind of existential dread. so in a way I'm pleased that this is pretty terrible. that said; knowing how it was created; it is interesting. still I think you need a vocal with a melody to really make it interesting. you could use a vocoder to give the computer generated voice some melody. or maybe one of those robot vocalists like realivox ( https://realitone.com/products/realivoxblue ) . but that'd probably be a lot more work to program.

gaping maw - pretty excellent guitarin' on the intro and I love the way the vocals sound when they come in. not loving the 2nd bit as much as the first bit. although it's good on its own, it's more that I was really digging the mood and then suddenly it's a totally different vibe. but then I really like the last part (starting around 3:24). so overall I'm really impressed with this track, great production/mix stuff and lots of good jammin'. not totally my thing all the time but I think it deserves a vote. VOTE.

the gross tones - this is the first gross tones song I've heard that I've liked, although the over the top guitar solo intro isn't my jam at all. the song itself has a nice ramshackle groove to it and I think the vocals work well for this style. not quite a vote for me mostly because of all of the relentless guitar leads which for me add next to nothing to the track. but still; not bad. I kinda like it.

john gillespie - this has some impressive stuff going on but it all kind of doesn't quite work for me. I like the chorus alright but the verses sort of meander about. maybe it's the very busy mix that's making it not work for me. the underlying composition is pretty cool and there's a lot of interesting creative ideas going on. I will say this one has been growing on me the more I listen to it. a near vote.

ken's super duper - this is good, the vocals sound good, and it's a kind of catchy melody. but still it doesn't make a big impression on me. probably just a little too straight ahead pop for my current state of mind. objectively I think this is close to a vote for me.

paco del stinko - I'm always impressed with your musicianship, arrangement, and production skills and this one is no exception; but for some reason or another I'm not really loving this one subjectively. can't explain why. I know; super useful.

the pannacotta army - instrumentally this reminds me a lot of early Oasis. this is another one where I am quite impressed with the skills that went into making it but for some reason I am not totally loving the song. this is probably mostly me being in a bad mood or somethin'. on second thought, this is too good not to get a vote. I like the lyrics. VOTE.

phlebia - really interesting atmosphere here, and I really dig the main riff, rockin'. overall this song comes across as a psychedelic nightmare, but I like that kind of thing. VOTE.

reve and ujn - this is cute as all get out. sounds a bit like a song I can imagine being in a movie soundtrack. really nice singing. this one kind of blows me away actually. it's really good. my favorite of the fight. VOTE.

sweeney toad - I like the tripped out instrumental quite a bit, but I have a hard time getting past your vocal style which isn't working for me. that said I think it's kind of growing on me the more I hear your tracks. I like the flute (or flute like synth or whatever that is.) really cool.

third cat - I have only two cats, I'm the 3rd cat. this is more of an appetizer than a meal. there's some ideas in here I think I want to push farther with in the future.

toby roktot - classic rock jams. this is well done but also kind of reminds me of the gross tones with all of the endless guitar leads, more of a subjective thing, that sort of thing just sort of puts me off generally. basically; yes... good guitar jammin' but the kind of thing that I think works better live than on a recording (maybe.)
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:44 am

Gaping Maw - I really like the first half of this especially. The drum fills, while I know they’re a virtual drummer, are engaging. Did you program those or are they done by some fancy algorithm or something. The middle part is kind of neat, but not quite up my alley, too “rock anthem”. But as usual, super slick production. The back half when it gets more minimal and quiet sounds pretty good to my ears. I always admire ambitious song structures, and this has it it spades. Does it all tie together? I don’t know?
Hey thanks for the review!

In this project, Gaping Maw - we each write sections... so not sure where the first half ends for you but the opening section, and the 3rd section (there are 4 in total) are mine. For about the last 6-8 months I've been playing all of the drums on my Roland TD-1, and using the MIDI to trigger Superior Drummer 3 for sounds. I believe Smalltown hires "Kyle" from Logic and works with him for long hours 'till gets it just right.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

thehipcola wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:11 pm
I believe Smalltown hires "Kyle" from Logic and works with him for long hours 'till gets it just right.
What a jack-ass. But correct.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Good evening everyone. Hope you all are having pleasure and other good stuff...
Not being a song techy, I simply tell you what I like and so on....
So, in the order they popped up on my little screen thingy:

Reve &Ujn...This song reminds me of a radio hit from the 60’s or so.
Good song and nice change ups. Actually, a pretty good composition.

Gaping Maw...I really enjoyed the song. Nice intro, mellow movement then, here come the Cars !!!
Another pretty good song. Number one for now. We’ll see where it all shakes out.

The Gross Tones...WOW !!! Too many really good songs this week. This could be a solid B-side or, more than just an album filler. Solid # 2...

Brown Word & the Big Whine...Dark song. Not sure how one could bring out any essence available in this song.

Third Cat...Many times a song will overstay it’s welcome. Certainly not the case here. That being said, simply repeating the lyrics would give the listener more time to understand and enjoy the mood. (The Ramones liked to repeat or just reverse the lyrics sometimes....a must when even after that, the song was still only 90 seconds long)

John Gillespie... Hey John, welcome to this part of the fractured universe...Now the song...
Not A hit, but a descent song. Two ‘take it outside’ in the middle would be better than four, I think. Maybe lose the extracurricular stuff at the end and reduce the outro by about 45 seconds.

Paco del Stinko...Intro riff is reminding me of something I heard long ago and far, far away.
I believe this could inspire an awesome video. Iron Maiden would kill this song in a live show....with you on lead, of course !!

Toby Roktot...Too many songs much better than this one.
I’ll stick the PRS and Jr SG back in storage but, I believe I’ll keep the Rick out just for the ambience...
Back to simplicity for me...just G&G w/ an occasional H.
BTW, I could have shaved the outro by about 15/20 seconds....and, my fingers hurt !!!

Deep Orb Whiskey...After the first banjo note, most listeners will actually listen.
Two things I like, one, not so much.
I like the banjo...
I like the western vibe lyrics...
I don’t like not having more lyrics. The subject matter has an endless supply of material.
(I grew up on a horse and cattle ranch in Colorado so, I’m biased)
Sayin’

Pannacotta Army...One of my favorites this fight. Maybe a new #1...
Great dope smoking song. Eyes closed, head gently swaying with the awesome beat. Just letting the song wash over me like an orgasmic, chocolate waterfall.
So many great side streams feeding the waterfall. Folks, we have a winner !!!

Ken’s SDB&S...Descent song. Chorus is weak and needs to provide the hook. Everything else is adequate and could certainly support a strong chorus.

Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

Phlebia...WOW... this would make a great video...like ‘black metal’ stuff.
Kind of surprised the road taken on this song after listening to the dope intro ...
Sayin’

Thank you all for the great music .... this is serious fun !!!
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Hey, thanks for all the reviews...

Sweeeney...I looked up the movie....on my to watch list...thanks

Phlebia....Hello !! Me too...the first thing I think of with this title is a bar fight !! And, got to be gritty ...

Third Cat...Thanks TC...I kinda agree about the lead. I’m the same way....I just got carried away.....and away....and...
claytantor
A New Player

Post by claytantor »

Brown Word and The Big Whine
This piece is well composed and hangs together well. I really like the tone and vibe that hangs around it.

Gaping Maw
There's just something about your voice that reminds me of Depeche Mode in the first stanza. This is a solid song. Great breaks, I think it really tosses the structure up well and keeps the song interesting. Its like 3 songs in one. Super creative.

The Gross Tones
Fun song. It feels like a singalong.

John Gillespie
Great synth lead, this has a dreamy feel to it. It moves through spaces and the chorus has some nice bends to it. The vocal attack at the end is very creative and has a King Crimson vibe to it.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Happy sounds, like a singalong chorus, could probably be a good idea. I get all these images of a montage of people throwing balls and frisbees to each other in the sun.

Paco del Stinko
Love the guitar riffs and lines on this. It feels like it could be an 80s indy rock hit with some LA punk scene tones.

The Pannacotta Army
I really like the take on this. I thought a few times, not about the COVID aspect, but more the getting into fights. I think this might be both? Great take on the concept.

Phlebia
Getting some Bauhaus meets Jesus and mary chain here. Big distortion waves wash over.

Sweeney Toad
The focus on questions is a cool concept. Why don't you take the the trash out? These are all the questions I ask myself every day! Luckily we arent our thoughts. Simple melody, much in line with DeepOrb's general take on things. Love it!
========
Clay Graham
Nudger of DeepOrb.net
claytantor
A New Player

Post by claytantor »

SweeneyToad wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:07 pm
is this that song made by a robot or something?
Why yes. Yes it is..
========
Clay Graham
Nudger of DeepOrb.net
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

reve wrote:
S. Toad.
Mr. Toad. The production is super interesting and I'm curious as to what you're sampling here. These lyrics would be okay if it was someone else's guitar-over-fruityloops type track, but coming from someone with your lyrical prowess it seems a liiitle like you kinda dashed it out.
No samples! I used a mellotron vst plugin and another 8 bit plugin, I also added looping vinyl record noise to the background of pretty much the whole song!
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

SweeneyToad wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:16 pm
reve wrote:
S. Toad.
No samples! I used a mellotron vst plugin and another 8 bit plugin, I also added looping vinyl record noise to the background of pretty much the whole song!
Ha! I knew that was a Mellotron. The looping vinyl noise overlay tricked me. I'm glad we weren't the only ones who used a mellotron VSTi this week...
-- reve mosquito.