Another black eye (I Had It Coming reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Re: Another black eye (I Had It Coming reviews)

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

They had it coming cause their song was so darn good.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar
Pronouns: he/him

Post by SweeneyToad »

here are some late reviews:

blue suede projects: i think this was a phlebia side project with his mom or something. I was really confused when I heard his solo entry because I thought it was supposed to sound like Katamari but I wasn't really getting that vibe from it. But yeah, I think this is the one that has more of a katamari vibe. This actually even more so reminds me of something from Animal Crossing that K.K. Slider would lay down. More than anything this just sounds like an improvised jam session and it's actually really good, I think it should have got more votes, I would have voted for it if I had remembered to vote.

brown word - the intro gives me a sonic youth vibe but then it goes in a whole different direction. This was ok, but not my favorite entry from brown word. I really like where it goes at about 2:10 with the little tap solo and the kind of spoken word/rap with that cool effect on the vocals, that was really cool.

fauxthoreau - your name reminds me of faxanadu, which goes with your whole 8bit style. i love 8bit/chiptune anything, and this was really well done. I would have voted for this if I had remembered to vote.

Jeff Desantis - This is a pretty nice feel good jam. Reminds me of something from the 90's, maybe the Rentals a tiny bit. I maybe would have voted for this, it didn't super stand out to me but it was still pretty good.

ken super duper - pretty catchy chorus, just a catchy song over all. I feel like this would make for a cool music video. I most likely would have voted for this I think. Just a solid tune overall.

lichen throat - I like the beat but I'm not feeling the singing to much. I think this singing style could work if the music was a lot weirder and more psychedelic or something. I would not have voted for this.

Phlebia - really like those drums, i'm still not sure if this is supposed to be the katamari style song, I don't really remember a song like this in that game, but it's been forever since i've played through all the stages. this is kind of psychedelic and trippy, especially when your spoke word style vocals come in. I really like the delivery style of the lyrics, this song makes me zone out in a good way. I probably would have voted for this.

P.F. Jr. - This is pretty chill, Neil Young vibe, I dig that. This is just solid and catchy and I like when your lyrics say that "you deserved it". You probably also deserved an extra vote, my bad.

r2f2 - this reminds me of when i would hang out at the goth bar with my friends every sunday in my early 20's. I was never really into the music, i just wanted to hang out with my friends and get drunk, ya know? With that said, I do have a nostalgic sense of appreciation for this kind of industrial music when I hear it now. I would have definitely voted for this for the nostalgic factor alone.

S.Toad - This was my song, I like the way it came out, i probably would have voted for it.

Toby Roktot - I like this, it has a light hearted tongue in cheek vibe to it but the lyrics are dark when you kind of think about it. My only complaint about it is it needs to be louder, I had to turn it way up just to hear it. I maybe would have voted for it.

Vom Vorton - I like this one a lot, nice low vibe sound to the whole song, it's a song i feel like I'd hear on a college radio station and I'd make sure to listen to the DJ to announce who the artist is and then go check out more of their music, i would have probably voted for this.

Waikikis - this is probably the stand out track of the fight so I'm glad it won. It reminds me of someone who was famous in the 90's and you'd hear their music on the alternative radio stations all the time. I really like the xylophone in this song and it keeps reminding me of that movie True Romance which was also from the 90's. Good job for real, definitely would have got a vote, obviously.
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

SweeneyToad wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:02 am

Phlebia - really like those drums, i'm still not sure if this is supposed to be the katamari style song, I don't really remember a song like this in that game, but it's been forever since i've played through all the stages. this is kind of psychedelic and trippy, especially when your spoke word style vocals come in. I really like the delivery style of the lyrics, this song makes me zone out in a good way. I probably would have voted for this.

^^^ Right at the key change, I essentially start doing that vocal thing almost verbatim and kept it going in the background of the whole thing. I'm glad you liked it! You should check out The Spaceape if you like that sort of delivery...it's not really a "Phlebia original". And you better like those drums, you rapped over them last week! I sampled my own song. :p
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.