Another black eye (I Had It Coming reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Another black eye (I Had It Coming reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Maybe next time I'll duck.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Another black eye (I Had It Coming reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Ooh, I'm digging the 8-bit slow jam vibe in the Fauxthoreau track.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I'll be doing a SongFight! Listening Part for 'I Had It Coming' and 'Golfpunk Rides Again' tonight (Monday, July 6th, 9PM EDT)

Drop in to listen for a spell, and chat with the artists if you have a chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82GhuL5Q9k
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Were I the Olympic Committee, I would give the gold to V. Vorton, with the silver going to S. Toad. I'd grant J. DeSantis the bronze, though if you were The Cars that synth woulda popped back in at 1:25ish. Honorable mentions to Ken overall and Lichen Throat for one of the best background musics I've heard on SF. That coulda been torn right outta one of those flexi-pop compliations.

Well done, everyone -- I enjoyed all of your tracks!
-- reve mosquito.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Wow, thanks Reve! I have a bit of a confession to make about this track - I spent hours working on something on Saturday, then realised when I came to submit it that I'd got the title wrong and written a paranoid trip-hop song called "I Saw It Coming" instead. So this song is my second attempt, slightly rushed and a little more experimental, done on Sunday. On the plus side, I got two songs out of this fight!?

I particularly liked the Fauxthoreau, Jeff DeSantis, Ken and Phlebia songs this round, plus the very cool xylophone + brass arrangement on the Waikikis song!
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Blue Suede Projects—The super weird vocal actually sounds pretty good. This technique seems more appropriate as an intro than as a complete song, though; it goes on for a long time with just vocal and bass, after the novelty has worn off. I don’t how long it took you to fiddle with settings to get that vocal effect, but I do think you executed it well.

Brown Word and the Big Whine—I’m not sure why I didn’t like this better. Maybe it needs more prominent drums to tie it together. It kind of feels like all the component parts aren’t working together. If I concentrate on a single instrument or on your vocal, they each sound good individually.

Fauxthoreau—I like the aesthetic you’re going for, but it doesn’t feel like the song gets fully up to speed (figuratively, I mean, not with respect to tempo). Maybe it needs one more instrument. I like your vocal, and the processing contributes to your aesthetic in a way that is tasteful but not overwhelming.

Jeff DeSantis—I dig the Raveonettes sound of the verses. And then it’s interesting how the chorus moves away from that sound, then gets back to it in the final line of each chorus. I’m not sure whether the instrumental intro/interludes/outro add much, but I quite liked this overall.

Kens’ Super Duper Band ’n Stuff—Your main verse guitar riff is great. I really wish you would add a little bit of variation to it somewhere, but it’s a great sound. A more organic-sounding vocal, with less processing, might match the song better. This is a well-written song, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Lichen Throat (me)—The vocal is obviously patchy in places, but I was happy with this overall.
I will, however, cover up my self-indulgent explanation of the lyrics.
SPOILER_SHOW
Here’s how the lyrics came about: In the movie Grosse Pointe Blank, there’s a scene where Bob Destepello (Michael Cudlitz) begins reading a poem to Martin Blank (John Cusack) that begins with “When I feel quiet, when I feel blue.” Martin doesn’t want to hear the poem and tells Bob to skip to the end, which is “for a while.” The lyrics are my idea of what the rest of the poem might consist of, based on what else we know of Bob from the rest of the movie. This is perhaps one of the times when I’m overly enamored with my own cleverness.
Phlebia—I admire your unbounded originality. Somehow, all the weirdness comes together to make a coherent whole. It’s hard to understand the lyrics, but maybe that doesn’t matter. I never listen to anything that sounds like this, but I like it anyway.

Pigfarmer Jr—This is your best use of drums on any song that I can recall. The verses sound good; there’s a feeling of buildup as they progress. I like the music in the chorus. I do, however, feel compelled to complain about the chorus lyrics. I strongly feel that you need something more specific, rather than vague and abstract. Tell us about how you’re watching her pack her Subaru, about how she’s running off with a horn player from Atlantic City, or about how you’re sitting alone on your area rug, drinking gin and looking at old photos. Anything that produces a specific mental image. I do like this overall, though, and I’m probably going to vote for it.

R. 242 x H. Wallace—The band name, coupled with the overall sound, makes me suspect that I’m missing out on some joke involving Front 242, with which I am not particularly familiar. You lay down a nice groove. This grew on me through multiple listens.

Sweeney Toad—From the opening notes, I’m transported to a graveyard at night. The rap doesn’t really follow up with that, though. Your vocal delivery is pretty good. I’m not sure there’s enough differentiation between the verse and chorus; you might want to do something to raise the energy level at some point. I’m impressed with the vocal consistency; there are no awkward spots or moments when you seem off of the rhythm.

toby roktot—The intro is funny. I like the timbre and organic feel of the vocal. I kind of wish there was more going on instrumentally, but I can also see why you kept with the stripped-down aesthetic, and the simplicity is kind of alluring. Yeah, I realize that’s entirely contradictory. I like the song overall.

Vom Vorton—I like the off-balance rhythm. I get a sense that you intend this to be a bit lighthearted, with the short duration and the distortion on the vocal. In that vein, I think it works pretty well. I can see you using this as an album closer, or maybe a side one closer on vinyl.

Waikikis—I like the execution of the Motown elements of the vocal. You have a nice, even tone that is expressive without going over the top and works well in the context of the song. This feels like a good song for a lazy summer afternoon.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Waikikis - I really enjoy this song. The vocal, delivery, production....just sounds so professional.
IMHO...tho...The instrumental in the middle of the song kinda had me drifting ... it’s not bad but, there is just no standout instrument solo, no lead and a little long.
Altogether though, this is a very good song !!

R. 242 x H. Wallace - This may be a good song if the mix pushed the vocals to the front. With the vocals so far back, the song just muddles along. Also, not a big fan of the talk, talk... just my own opinion.

Jeff DeSantis - Very nice tune. Vocals are sooo smooth, really pulls you into the song. Vote!

Sweeney Toad - ST, you just keep getting better and better.... I really enjoy this tune.... reminds me of early Eminem. Cool !!

Phlebia - Man, I thought if Buddy Rich were still alive and playing Vegas...this would be his intro....at least the first minute and change. After that, the song just wanders......... Seriously, the intro is really cool...just follow that up with more cool ...

Fauxthoreau - I kept thinking that I’d really like to hear a collaboration of Sweeney Toad and you. I like this song, just needs a little more ...

Ken’s SDBnS - Song has a very nice surfer groove going on . The chorus isn’t really supporting the verse. Verse is nice... chorus.....

Vom Vorton - Enjoyable song to listen to but, I would try doing the chorus vocals in the verse rather than the megaphone....maybe the meg could be something in the background poking around ...
Sayin’

Lichen Throat - the lyrics are great!! Somehow, the low vocal and the tone of the song go together. Grows on you, for sure ...

Toby Roktot - I need to figure out how to make more than just guitar sounds !!!

Pigfarmer Jr - Best song of the fight...should win.
At first, I thought the chorus was too weak but, after listening several times...I think it’s just right. Great Lyrics, very nice production and, as always, a professional cut.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - This is a really cool song....I hear, Blonde, Cookie Blue, Romeo Void, Patty Smith. And, at the end ... kinda Charlie Daniels !! Vote !!

Blue Suede Projects - Nice bass stuff... easy to listen to, kinda brings a smooth background vibe...
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Working on my reviews a few songs at a time this week, I only have Toby, Waikikis, and Vom left at this point but I'll get them done.
Toby: regarding your review, I will say that I'm well aware my song doesn't have much structure. I came up with a groovy bass line (I'm proud of that bass line!) and a psychedelic guitar effect, noodled for like 4 minutes, and then realized I needed vocals so I just sort of ... added words.

I will go ahead and say that Fauxthoreau has my favorite tune this week by a significant margin.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Blue Suede Projects: I was playing around with autotune and a new USB audio interface while my mother was visiting me. She used to sing in a blues band when I was a kid; I spent a few nights at her shows and they used to borrow my drumset for practice sometimes. Anyway, she decided to start making up some words while I noodled on the bass and it goes on too long but whatever my mom’s cool.

Brown Word and the Big Whine:
This really sounds like a sample from some kind of early 90s teen sitcom but I can't place this one. I kind of like those parts. From a mixing standpoint I would have notched out some of the more trebly parts to make it a little bit less harsh. The end of the song kind of reminds me of the Residents who I know you admire...as do I. Actually it reminds me of them heavily. Song was kind of meandering though, I think.

Fauxthoreau: I would have personally made the vocal a *little* less thin, but still kind of thin. Otherwise this is a real bop and I love it. I'm not paying attention to the lyrics at all but I can't help but vibe to it. I don't really care what they're saying cause the rhythm is great. And the sound of it makes me want to play my gameboy. Does this count as "Skweee"? I feel like that's the scene I'd place this in.

Jeff DeSantis: This sounds like it would have been released sometime in the late 90s, it's all in the rhythm and the sort of simple chord structure. I don't know if this was a vibe I ever liked listening to. The drums sound a little flat in the mix, I know it's a virtual drummer, I guess it's just the sound for the snare especially is a little dry. The synth breaks could probably do something more than just octaves I guess.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: I like the jangle-pop vibes in this, which is largely a function of the timber of that chimy guitar and what not. I always feel weird criticizing your songs too much for having overly simple melodies cause I often have overly simple melodies too. But this one doesn’t really do much for me. It kind of stays at a similar dynamic level and style through most of the song. I guess it just didn’t “stand out” to me all that much.

Lichen Throat: Much more peppy and digital than much of your work, largely because of the synth. All in all I’m not sure if I’m sure the beepy synths quite work for me with your style? But I did enjoy it. Is it my favorite Lichen Throat song? Maybe not. That still goes to either Tumbleweed or Four Corners. But a decent entry in the Lichen Throat canon.

Phlebia: I took the drums from my entry last week, looped them, came up with a groovy bassline, played hard with pitch shifting and autotune, and figured out that you could get cool trippy vocal effects that way. So then I made this cosmic super space rock sounding effects chain and played another bass track through it. And then decided to finish it with some Spaceape vocals. I don’t know where it came from but it was very fun to make.

Pigfarmer Jr: Structurally, this is a lot like a lot of other Pigfarmer Jr songs. I’ve always found the I-VI-IV-V chord progression extremely dull, so typically whenever I hear it I sort of immediately mentally dismiss the song, though I try not to do that when writing SongFight reviews. Lyrically, I want to know what you did. Did you cheat on her? Did you just say something mean? The background guitar work sounds good. All in all I liked last week’s entry more.

R. 242 x H. Wallace: Okay, I adore this entirely too much. In fact I went back and listened to Geography a couple days ago after hearing it and you did a fantastic job at nailing that vibe...which to be fair I’ve never really spent much time digging those Front 242 albums...I’ve mostly stuck to Tyranny For You (hard hitting at times but kind of cheesy in places), and 5:22:9:12 Off (that rave influence + 99 Kowalski + the EBM backbone = one of my favorite albums of all time). Did you know that Front 242 was one of the first bands I ever got into? My dad bought “Off” when it came out based on a tip from a friend and 3-year old me LOVED it. I think I borrowed it from him again in late elementary school and never gave it back. It’s still in my rotation, for what it’s worth. And Front 242 is heavily featured in my treadmill mixes. Well. It was. Before I quit going to the gym. Because of COVID. Stupid COVID. Now is this song original? Well...no. It’s not original at all. But it’s fun and well executed. I fuckin love Front 242.

Sweeney Toad: Looks like we’re back on our own again, ha! You’ve been adding a lot more chiptune influence to your tracks lately, even down to the weird harmonics. Like half of your beats end up reminding me of that spooky tower place in Lavender Town in the first few pokemon games. So the first verse in here? I mean some of the wordplay is pretty good, but it doesn’t quite speak to me all that much, like it just doesn’t quite evoke much of anything for me other than “words that sound cool”. Which could be poor reading comprehension on my end, bu eh. That second verse? I’m sick of COVID songs on SongFight, but that was really well written and executed. Favorite Sweeney song? Probably not, but a solid entry to the Sweeney Toad archive.

toby roktot:
I’ve always pronounced the word “capo” like KAY-po. But I’ve never been sure if that was right. Is it “CAP-po”? Mirriam-Webster’s website says it’s KAY-po, but it could just be a regional thing...Mirriam-Webster likes to have a fixed idea on how things should be pronounced. Okay, enough about that. This song is nice, and I love how you keep moving into spoken word bits, and the gravelly vocal inflection works quite well, though that may just be how your voice sounds...it works well with this style. I wish this was mastered a little bit louder, it’s kind of hard for me to hear though. Well-performed, paced, and executed.

Vom Vorton:
So much louder than the Toby entry. I like that raw synth bass a lot, it adds a driving crunch to everything. I’d probably try and notch it a bit on the EQ so that kick punched through a little bit more. And the mix sounds a little bit...overcompressed? It could just be my headphones. A nice strong melody and performance though, so really all I’m doing is commenting on your mix. I kind of wish this was a little bit longer though.

Waikikis:
This sounds like something I would have heard on VH1 in 1996. This is not a bad thing. I love the horns. I love the marimba. I love pretty much everything about this. Drums are super solid. Vocal performance is confident and is super catchy. I can literally think of nothing bad to say about this, so I’ll just say that it needs to be about 5 bpm faster.

Top 3:
Fauxthoreau
Waikikis
Toby Roktot/Reve 242
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Cap-o. “Cay-po” is how a lot of Americans say it, but it’s from Italian, so the first pronunciation is more correct.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

crumpart wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:12 am
Cap-o. “Cay-po” is how a lot of Americans say it, but it’s from Italian, so the first pronunciation is more correct.
I suppose the question is whether or not "correct" is the right word. It's certainly closer to its origin for sure, but linguistic drift/dialects/etc make me hesitant to declare one pronunciation "proper".

(PS: Nur Ein is over, get back over here and write us some 6/8 tunes about space again)
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Where the reviews at
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Seriously. A fight with 13 entries should have at least 13 sets of reviews. If you have time to fart into a microphone, you have time to type up reviews of your fellow songfighters' efforts.
🤠
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I get where you're coming from, but I've just given eight weeks of my life to judging and reviewing Nur Ein and I'm taking a fucking break, sorry
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

vowlvom wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 pm
I get where you're coming from, but I've just given eight weeks of my life to judging and reviewing Nur Ein and I'm taking a fucking break, sorry
I think Nur Ein judges get a pass.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Sober wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:42 am
Seriously. A fight with 13 entries should have at least 13 sets of reviews. If you have time to fart into a microphone, you have time to type up reviews of your fellow songfighters' efforts.
Lead by example bro! :P
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Sober wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:42 am
Lead by example bro! :P
I review every fight I'm in, and some I'm not. The least I can do when I subject others to my noise is to review theirs.
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

My reviews:

Lichen Throat: Fun track! The zero-effort head-cold vocal isn't bad necessarily, but pitchwise it's all over the place. I don't have great pitch myself, so what I sometimes do is record a piano or something playing the exact melody I want to sing, and later mute that track. Not feeling good cohesion between your vocal and the rest of the track. Almost feels like a karaoke dub over. Anyway, some neat sounds here, but we really have to work on the vocal. The places where it's good are great! I'd just like to hear more consistency there.

Phlebia: Strong RPG battle theme vibes here. Love the dissonant feedback-y elements coming in here and there. Fun chord progressions. Not sure how I feel about the super dry bass. It does feel like it should be compressed to complete hell if not fuzzed. If washed out psychedelia is your goal, I won't bother offering ways to clean things up, because you're nailing that. Unintelligible vocals are probably fine - how about throwing distortion/amp sim on the vocal and screaming some of those lines? Seems like it might fit. The descending line at 3:08 is really cool. Fun overall, but it lacks a hook. Needs something to make me remember this song tomorrow.

toby roktot: Sounds like Jerry Jeff Walker three hours after a show, half a bottle of Maker's Mark deep. Not a fan of the pitchless, croaky way some lines end. Some wonky stuff with emphasis on off-syllables like "Our love I thought would last eternally." Sound is miles ahead of your Mythical Creature, even if it doesn't feel as fancy with reverb and panning. The recording matches the character of the song perfectly - I wouldn't change a thing.

Good stuff y'all. All three get votes 8-)
🤠
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Thank you Sober for the review. I wish I could take credit for any sound, mixing, pots and pans.....but, it’s really a crap shoot for me. I yam what I yam.
Thanks again,
Toby
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Waikikis win!