Get the duct tape (Broken Heart Syndrome reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Get the duct tape (Broken Heart Syndrome reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Last edited by Lunkhead on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Get the duct tape (Broken Heart Syndrom reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Phlebia is missing!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

You forgot to attach your file and I didn't notice that. Sucks to be you! :P Send me your file and I'll try to get it added when I have time which may not be for till tonight or tomorrow.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

D'oh! I shared a google drive link.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:58 am
D'oh! I shared a google drive link.
Looking forward to your toy piano, I used to have one I got from target that looked like Cheshire cat and his teeth were the keys, it would play meow style, it was totally sweet.
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Balls To Monte-
Just to get this out of the way, I'm less than thrilled with my entry, but it's the first song I've finished in over four years, so whatever. EVERYTHING'S wrong with it. I can only hope my next entry is FAR better.

WreckdoM-
Really like the chaotic vibe of this. The guitar work is great. It's very soundtrack-like, if that makes any sense. "That time we made the two egg rolls dance" is a particular standout line.

tomdg feat rox + wub-
I usually dislike drum machines, but this track absolutely suits it. I love the lo-fi 80s vibe of this, kinda like early Ween. By that I mean you sound like you're having a lot of fun while composing a somewhat (on the surface) bummer song.

Paco del Stinko-
My favorite so far. I love the whole arrangement, right down to the Ike Turner-ish “doo doo”s. Great guitar work too.

Gaping Maw-
Who the hell are you? This is great stuff here. Another great guitar track. Jesus! What, am I gonna have to start PRACTICING now? Really good harmonies too. Weird, abrupt ending though.

Robyn Mackenzie-
“In the end there are no winners, only sinners with broken hearts.” REALLY like that. Great track overall. DAMN, these are some great entries.

Jake DeLorey-
Another really good one. I hate ALL OF YOU! Really like the overlapping vocals on this. Yet another good guitar track too. FUCK!

Inflatable Vegetables-
Love the story line here. Everyone has a little hate in their hearts for Dental Hygienists, however unfair that may be. But is it actually an allegory about frustrated, unrequited love? I guess we’ll never know.

Lichen Throat-
Another delightfully 80s-flavored track. Like the song and most of the performance. I’d suggest centering the drums next time (unless my hearing’s fucked). Other than that, this is pretty great.

rackwagon-
Sounds like slacker rock until the chorus kicks in. Great stuff. Yet another good guitar track. Is that a Vibrato pedal on the guitar? Nice touch.

Dead Spectres-
“Like this beat, I am ensnared.” VERY good. This really grows on you as it develops. The words “Social Studies” and “Chasing Amy” tell me you may be closer to my age than I initially thought. Great job.

Sweeney Toad-
Skillfully done, and the arrangement is good. It sounds a wee bit phoned in [though not NEARLY as much as mine. HAA! HAA!] I’ve heard you do way better is all. But it’s sill very good.

Steven Lamphear-
Really good song. One unfortunate standout is the awkward-sounding kick drum. Maybe try a drier sounding kick drum. REALLY good guitar solo. Your singing is excellent. The mix is the only thing wrong with it, honestly. Great overall.

Night Sky-
Another good song hampered somewhat bad an uneven mix. The vocals need to be louder [I hate my voice too, but I can barely make out what you’re saying]. The horns are a tad too loud, though well-played. You obviously have skills, and this is a really good song.

Shade & Honey-
Like the lo-fi energy of this. Do I hear a mandolin? NICE! This is kinda like alt-rock country plus a touch of early Meat Puppets[and I could hardly pay you a higher compliment]. Really like the overall feel of this. For the record, I don’t mind fade-outs, but some among these parts REALLY hate fade-outs, so watch your back!

Evermind-
Upright bass?? NOW we’re taking! Yeah, even if it’s merely an electric fretless, I appreciate the effort. Good song, great harmonies. One minor criticism: maybe change up the drums a bit more next time. The side stick becomes a tad fatiguing after awhile. But, again, that’s a VERY minor criticism. Love the [SPOILER ALERT!!] a cappella ending.

Reve and Ujn-
Wow! This sounds like a hangover. Really like the lyric and the overall performance. Just too damn bright. Having said all that, it ends too soon.

Brown Word and the Big Whine-
Really good song, particularly good lyric. I would turn the snare drum up a bit. One of the best otherwise.

Phlebia [assuming your song makes it in]-
Really funny lyric, and I LOVE how the drum machine accents come out of NOWHERE like a damn ninja. Very entertaining, as usual.

JEEZ LOUIEEZZZZ! This is gonna be a tough choice.
Last edited by genecawley on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

It's last second. It's nutty! it's Fun!

I'm running from work to home, and trying to get a stream up for tonight. 9pm. Maybe a preshow if I'm lucky and it works.

Pass it on!

https://youtu.be/za174c8MWhM
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

While technical difficulties are ironed out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pQ8H-t ... sp=sharing
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm
While technical difficulties are ironed out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pQ8H-t ... sp=sharing

LOLOLOOOLOLOL

I really can't even tell this is you :lol:
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Get the duct tape (Broken Heart Syndrome reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Phlebia has been added to the fight.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Thanks Lunkhead!

Also I'm giggling at Inflatable Vegetables because I have a cousin who's a dental hygienist named Katie. Naturally I just sent it to her.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Just my first listen thoughts... take with a grain of salt if you please... I make <2 minute songs so...

Balls To Monte: Glad to see you're back after seeing you on the live stream! Song is good, if a little long for my taste... but the mix seems weird, like it sounds a bit thin and mono... it's got bass, but the rest seems muddy... perhaps because it seems mono? I'd like the vocals up a bit more... probably with a bit of a low cut and some air... maybe the song seems long for my taste because it doesn't change up instrumentation at all... anyhow I like the song and I'm glad that you're back at it.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: Again, I like the song here too, I like it towards the last minute where it seems to pick up a little bit... and it seems like something more is happening... where the first two minutes were a bit "samey" for too long for my personal taste... but I liked it, I'd either cut it in half or add something/go somewhere else though...

Dead Spectres: What's with the 4 minute + songs, y'all? Anyhow I'm not really on in my rap game... but this is at least the kind of rap I'd jam... sounds like that GMCFOSHO song I love that Deetak (where art thou Deetak?) remixed one time and it was my ringtone for years... ImDaBes! Another rapper? English accent... booty call... A Haytch S? Okay you get away with the longer song because it's a bit slower... it changes up a bit... different voices... okay... who is this btw?

Evermind: Another return? I think you were on the live after party chat? Little slow for my taste... I want you to "jump in" sooner (I assume it picks up?) maybe not. I mean it sounds good. Vocal is good, fitting for this song just want it to pick up a bit, but it never does. I guess like the other review said, I'd definitely do something other than the side stick the whole song? And... JUMP IN! It's probably fitting for the genre to stay slow and low key... I just want it to rock after a minute of the slow stuff.

Gaping Maw: Breathes... see this song changes up. It may not be my "style" of song, but it's interesting because I don't know that the next 4 bars are going to be the same as the previous 4 bars... okay I like the chorus yeah... it's like Talking Heads meets Paul Simon or something and yeah... it's cool. The mix sounds great too. The guitars coming in after 2:30ish are good too. I like the chorus a lot and the second half of the song more than the first half... but did you mean to just cut the end off?

Inflatable Vegetables: Ooh just got scared I lost all my previous reviews... I didn't. Sorry that has nothing to do with your song. I like your multiple voices/harmonies... also like your bass and crunchy "guitar"(?) Sounds fun. Thanks for the shortest song so far... Keeps it fresh and wants me to listen again...

Jake DeLorey: Heh, whatever that sound is in the background? Makes me think of the dentist in the previous song... not sure this is a good thing... I like the voices/harmonies here though too... and that "organ"(?) and the guitars sound good... I just don't like that noise that keeps happening... that drill/whine sound? What is it? Ahhh! The guitar/bass/drums are good though... I'd rock out to this. Like Pulp or Luna or something... Can I get a mix without that weird noise please? :)

Lichen Throat: Whatever you've been doing differently on your last few(? lost count...) entries, I like it... the bass/drum/synth parts are giving me cool 80's vibes and I can totally see how you'd sound rocking like some Joy Division or something... I think (and I know you write lots of lyrics...) but if you would cut down on the lengthy lyrics... be more minimal, it would totally suit you and possibly make it easier for your timing? Anyhow good work and I look forward to your next songs.

Night Sky: Okay, took a little break. Back at it. Yep, just like the other review(s), you need to bring your vocals up. Great horns. You're a horn player... you don't like your voice... I want your vocals to come up... and your drums to come up... you also might want to add a low cut to your vox and add some air as well... EQ wise. Yep. Great horns. Can I contact you if I ever need horns? Simone is never going to know you're talking to her... because she can't hear you...

Paco del Stinko: Doot doot doo! Paco. This is how the drums should sound... I really like the doo doo doooooos. Also the little guitar line. Not my favorite Paco vocals... maybe the melody isn't varied enough? Yeah, I'm not sold on the verse parts... I like the fun parts with the doot doot doos and the guitar lines... drums are great as usual... ending part is cool.

Phlebia: Yeah, we need to collab soon. Does your wife want revenge? ;) It's pretty funny hearing such a "serious" sounding song with such... "silly"(?) lyrics... or at least lyrical content... I'm not sold on the content... but I like the sound and I can pretend that I don't really know what you're talking about... even though I know my Ex was big on Grey's. Maybe that's why she's my Ex? Nah... I think certain genres may escape the wrath of my "this track is too long" rant... this genre escapes it...

rackwagon: I like the guitar work and the chorus parts, it's too slow and "lazy" sounding through the verses for me though... I don't want that to come off wrong, I don't think you're lazy... or if lazy is the right word? More... "blah"? This isn't coming out right... I like everything except for the "tired" sounding verses... hrmmm... great guitars! Drums sound good too.

Reve and Ujn: I really like Reve's lyrics here.

Robyn Mackenzie: Not sure if the heavy bass makes the mix seem muddy? I want to hear the drums kick through this bass... nice panning on the backing vox, I want the guitars in their own space too... but they seem right down the middle buried by the BASS. Vocals are good, but a little muddy in the lower/mid freqs, I think this is all a bass is too loud issue? I want more separation in the mix, otherwise good song.

Shade & Honey: This starts pretty slow too... but it seems like it has enough stuff changing and the vocals while sounding not as confident, come off better than most of the other slow songs previously in the fight. Again, I'd personally prefer more variation or sections cut shorter... 4 minute + songs that just have the same 4 bars and 4 bars again... should be cut in half in my eyes... sorry to keep harping on that. This isn't just you, see all above. I liked the 3 minute mark "bridge" part... see... change the song up like that... make this song 2:10 by cutting every section in half... and I'd listen again. :)

Steven Lamphear: I like the bass here. Drums are cool too. Sounds good together. I feel like there is lots of "empty space" here... like... I know I need more empty space in my songs... but here it seems like it "one line" "empty space" "one line" "empty space" etc... I prefer at the 2:40 mark. Deliver the lines together... than maybe leave half as much "empty space"? I like how it grows and grows in momentum though.

Sweeney Toad: Was this the song with the "weird instrument" optional challenge? Not sold on the backing instruments on this Sweeney track. I think maybe I've been a tad spoiled by the last few Sweeney tracks that I've heard? I want a little more variation, maybe in the vocal delivery in this song? Seems like this track has 2 different sections that repeat... but don't really fit? Don't mind me... I still want to hear more Toad.

tomdg feat rox + wub: Is this track really 6:43? Are you trying to kill me? Okay at least it's been varied so far 2 mins in... I don't know about the drum samples going crazy... I don't know what's happening. Even though this track is slow... I like the vocals more than the other slower tracks? Why? I don't know... wait... is this track really 3:40ish with 3 mins of silence? Is this the last track on your album and it's going to be a hidden section at the end here? No? You tricked me... I waited it out... Silence... Maybe listen to your track first before submitting it next time, eh? :|

WreckdoM: This is definitely WreckdoM, but I'm finding it hard getting into the WreckdoM groove... I think maybe lots of these samples/instruments just don't seem to fit together for me... I liked the breakdown section 1:40-2:20ish sounds more coherent... not like... you know Pigeon Rider! coherent... but like... instrument wise... it fits together more for me...

Okay! Hopefully I haven't made anyone sad or mad... I don't "review" all that often... I wanted to "review"... hope some of it helps. I may have run out of steam towards the end... next time I will do a Z-A listen to make up for that... I know how it feels being either a R or a U in the order of songs mostly... unless I'm a Chth*. Keep rocking y'all!
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

ujnhunter wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Balls To Monte: Glad to see you're back after seeing you on the live stream! Song is good, if a little long for my taste... but the mix seems weird, like it sounds a bit thin and mono... it's got bass, but the rest seems muddy... perhaps because it seems mono? I'd like the vocals up a bit more... probably with a bit of a low cut and some air... maybe the song seems long for my taste because it doesn't change up instrumentation at all... anyhow I like the song and I'm glad that you're back at it.
Thanks. I'm glad you brought this up, What is the acceptable bitrate nowadays? I used 128 in mono [and it sounds it], just because I didn't want to potentially use too large a file size.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Thanks for the reviews. I hope cousin Katie the dental hygienist enjoys the song.
I had just come back from a dental cleaning, and the first verse took about 30 seconds to write.
The interpretation is totally up to you, of course.
facebook.com/ivegband
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

gramparsons wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:54 pm
ujnhunter wrote:

Thanks. I'm glad you brought this up, What is the acceptable bitrate nowadays? I used 128 in mono [and it sounds it], just because I didn't want to potentially use too large a file size.
Stereo is definitely fine/preferred unless you're doing mono for artistic reasons. 128kbps is fine, 256kbps is probably fine. We don't really have hard limits on things. Usually if somebody submits a 10MB file I'll raise an eyebrow at that and hope that it's just a really long song. :lol:
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by genecawley »

Lunkhead wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Stereo is definitely fine/preferred unless you're doing mono for artistic reasons. 128kbps is fine, 256kbps is probably fine. We don't really have hard limits on things. Usually if somebody submits a 10MB file I'll raise an eyebrow at that and hope that it's just a really long song. :lol:
Cool. Thanks for the tip.
tomdg
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: tomdg

Post by tomdg »

Yes, huge apologies. It was a balls-up but you can think of it as me being a pretentious dick if that's even less favourable :( Sorry everyone.
ujnhunter wrote:
tomdg feat rox + wub: Is this track really 6:43? Are you trying to kill me? ... wait... is this track really 3:40ish with 3 mins of silence? Is this the last track on your album and it's going to be a hidden section at the end here? No? You tricked me... I waited it out... Silence... Maybe listen to your track first before submitting it next time, eh? :|
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Grumpy Mike has been added to the fight.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Thanks, Sam!
After sitting on my butt since Nur Ein ended, I feel like I just ran a 10k without any preparation. And finished 4 days late.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

If you send in an update with the silence properly trimmed off I can put that up.
tomdg wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:29 am
Yes, huge apologies. It was a balls-up but you can think of it as me being a pretentious dick if that's even less favourable :( Sorry everyone.
ujnhunter wrote:
tomdg feat rox + wub: Is this track really 6:43? Are you trying to kill me? ... wait... is this track really 3:40ish with 3 mins of silence? Is this the last track on your album and it's going to be a hidden section at the end here? No? You tricked me... I waited it out... Silence... Maybe listen to your track first before submitting it next time, eh? :|
tomdg
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: tomdg

Post by tomdg »

Sent an update to fightmaster, hope that's the right place.
Lunkhead wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 am
If you send in an update with the silence properly trimmed off I can put that up.
tomdg wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:29 am
ujnhunter wrote: