Don't wink at me (Eyes In The Dark reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Don't wink at me (Eyes In The Dark reviews)

Post by Jefff »

owl wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:45 pm
Jefff wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:39 pm
Owl - Cool chorus. Your singing is real nice there. The vocal is eq'd a little harshly. I like the way these guitars crunch.
thanks for the review! Can you clarify what you meant as far as the harsh vocal EQ—too much high end? (I think I just put on some preset like “Mud Free” in Reaper)
I don't know my frequencies without messing with an EQ, but it's probably the region I usually boost in my vocals. (Looking at an eq: maybe ~3500 range.) I think it's too much, though it might also be a function of the multiple vocals.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Mel - ha, Melvins as a sonic comparison is not something I planned or would have thought of, but I do hear a bit of night goat in there!

And the backwards noises are initially a crow, followed by a clip of seaweed delete asking me to get him more CD's when he was 4 years old.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Evermind
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: UAD Volt 2, MXL770, Alesis VMini, Reaper, Hydrogen
Submitting as: Evermind, Moody Vermin, Ever Kenievel

Post by Evermind »

WreckdoMelle wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:20 pm
Evermind - Is this using that Hydrogen drum machine you mentioned on Discord? Because the drums are cool. I'm a huge fan of acoustic paired with distorted guitar and I like how the distorted guitar is quieter than the acoustic so you can still hear the details of the (spooky acoustic).
It is! I didn't know what to do for the 15/8 part, so it ended up being a little boring and repetitive and mostly served to help me stay on time when recording the guitar parts :D
I am definitely too square for how experimental this is, but I can imagine that if I was in the right state of mind, the section starting at 2:20 might transport me to another dimension - jeffhenderson
amby_moho
A New Player
Recording Method: tascam 488, 388, logic
Submitting as: Amby Moho

Post by amby_moho »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:20 pm
I think the vocal production is a little over-filtered, makes it sound a bit thin in the mix.
So funny! I've heard that from a few people on these reviews, but incidentally, the verse vocals that folks are talking about are actually *completely* clean! Not even any EQ. The reason they sound crazy is because I have started collecting vintage microphones from this bloke who restores them in Nashville, and this song was kinda an experimental test of them before I make my next record. Sony ECM-22Ps as overheads on the drums, Shure Unidyne III on the snare, and the seemingly obscure British microphone "Grampian D-8" on the vocals, double tracked. I personally love the way it sounds. It's freaky. I plan to get really experimental with the next record I make, and I will likely be including several of my songs from Song Fight :)

Oh also, to the person who was commenting about the stylophone type sound, that's actually a little Yamaha Portasound keyboard I have at my house, and I mic-ed the shitty little speaker again with that Grampian D-8. Thing sounds so crunchy & thin, in a way I've never heard another mic sound honestly.

For those interested, other gear I used are a Wurlitzer 200a, Realistic Moog MG-1, an acoustic "Tom Thumb" piano that I got recently, and a Tascam 488 mkII that I did basic tracking (drums, guitars, wurly, etc.) on before bouncing to digital 8-)

At any rate, thanks as always for the input / feedback from the community here!
I'm going to try to listen to all the songs & write little blurbs for the first time now. Will be a nice way to take my mind off this election :o
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

add—Nice mix; everything sounds very sharp and clear. This reminds me a bit of a band called Bishop Allen; I think the resemblance is a combination of your vocal, the xylophone-like instrument, and the chorus melody. The verses sometimes feel a little slow, but I like how the chorus bursts out so enthusiastically.

Amby Moho—It usually sounds weird when people have the vocal panned to the side, but I think it works well here. The rhythm of the song feels a little stagnant to me, however. The bridge is a nice change.

Balls to Monte—This feels like it’s straight off somebody’s elaborate concept album, which is cool. It’s interesting how you’ve paired the epic-sounding vocals with guitar strumming. I like this one.

Brown Word and the Big Whine—This feels spooky right from the start. Your vocal style is perfect for this song. Strong, well-realized atmosphere.

Caravan Ray—This is cool! It sounds like it could be the theme song for an unappreciated-at-the-time-but-cool-in-retrospect late-70s adventure TV show. Also, it sounds like it’s from the Southern Hemisphere, thought I’m not sure I can articulate why. I dug this one.

Evermind—Turn up your vocal! The tender acoustic guitar playing is nice. This has a Blue Oyster Cult vibe that suits the optional challenge. Could be a little longer.

Glenn Case—I like the drums at the beginning. Good production and mix, as usual. This grew on me after multiple listens; it seems a little dull the first time through, but later I got in the groove.

Hot Pink Halo—This is a bit too minimalist for my taste. I do, however, like how you’ve used the violin; the rising melody builds a sense of tension. Definitely spooky.

Jim Tyrrell—I didn’t like the voice clip, but the whole thing turns around when your rap starts. Great delivery, with well-placed points of added emphasis. I like the backing loop in the verses, too.

JP Nickolas—The on-key wolf howls make this work pretty well as a novelty song. The composition and arrangement feel a bit unsettled in a way that detracts from the listening experiences. Your guitar playing is quite good, however.

Ken’s Super Duper Band ’n Stuff—I like the instrumental. I wish the chorus was more exuberant and had more of a breakout sound. Smooth drumming, and I like the keyboard parts too.

Lichen Throat (me)—I was trying to write an early 90s indie folk song, until I realized that those early Innocence Mission songs are a lot more complex than I had recalled. I was pretty happy with the effect of the shifting bass line under a more constant guitar melody. Regarding the comments about autotune, I really can’t hear what several of you have commented about. I can barely tell any difference between having it turned on and off. I believe all of you though, and I apparently don’t have a good ear for that sort of thing (big surprise, I know). I’ll stay away from it for a while.

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost—Another spooky one. I like your vocal, especially paired with the church organ. I’d normally complain that the mike sounds a bit hot, but I think it works well in this style, so I assume it’s a deliberate creative choice.

miscellaneous owl—I love the vocal. I’m not sure—and I really mean that I’m not sure—about the more cacophonous guitars; I feel like I need to listen to this more times than I have so far, which, based on my historical patterns, means that I’ll probably end up liking it a lot.

Night Sky—This is a genre that I basically have a 0% chance of liking, but I think you’ve executed it pretty well. The horn playing is nice, and I like the even vocal with punctuations of sharpness.

The Pannacotta Army—Your vocal is as smooth as melted butter. All the performances are good, but the song felt a bit too familiar and comfortable, like maybe it could use more unexpected elements.

Phlebia—Oh yeah, I like the rockin’ intro. The vocal might be mixed a bit high, and I’m not sure it wouldn’t be better a little cleaner; I like the performance, though. This is among your most listenable songs. I like the relentless feeling and the driving groove. One of your best, I think.

Pigfarmer Jr—Once the wolf howls are over, I think this may be your most professional-sounding song. Good melodies, too. Your vocal tone doesn’t seem to reflect the anguish that the lyrics convey, but the overall sound of the song is good if I put that incongruity out of my mind. Nice job on the whole.

Robyn Mackenzie—I like the interspersed vocal and guitar emphasis in the verses. Good execution of the genre. Sounds kind of like Urge Overkill with a female vocal. I like where you double the vocal, and I think you could have applied it to even more of the song.

Sweeney Toad—I find these lyrics off-putting, and it’s proving hard for me to get past that. I like the repeated “eyes in the dark” part in the chorus.
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

misc. owl - I've never really heard anything like this from you, it seems like I can only really remember hearing acoustic jams from you. This is more like an indie rock song from the late 90's/early 2000's and I really like it. The guitar solo reminds me of pavement for some reason. now i want to hear a malkmus/owl collab. anyways, this is really good, i enjoy it a lot, and the little bit of spookiness at the end was a nice touch. great song! p sure you get a vote for this one.

evermind - i was expecting more of the style from your last fight so i was caught off guard at first. i get a bit of a slint vibe from this which is always a good thing. it does seem like it ends a little too quick and that coupled with the vocals being a little to buried in the mix makes this feel more like a demo, definitely great potential here for sure.

caravan ray - nice and catchy little song, i dig it. your vocals sound good but some of the doubles sound a bit off here and there. at 1:19 when you say "i see, it's impossible" it sounds weird, like too loud and abrupt, i think it could have been brought into the mix better. Just minor little imperfections, but they can be a little distracting. Still a nice and catchy little ditty though.

sweeney toad - in hindsight this could have been a peter jackson film that was scrapped back in the 80's. animatronic bats and buttholes anyone?

hot pink halo - ok so this is my favorite song of yours to date, it starts with a fantastic bass line that grabs me right away, the violins sound super cool, they seem to go slightly off key every so often but i REALLY like the way it sounds, the singing sounds a little creepy and matches the energy of this track perfectly. and the ending with a hint of alfred hitchcock psycho to it is just so good! this is something i feel like i could have discovered on napster in like 2002 and i would have gone searching for your whole catalog after hearing it. i hope we don't have to wait for halloween again to hear more of this creepy art rock vibe from you. vote!

balls to monte - this is a different style from your last few songs, it reminds me of a song that would be in a fairy tale if that makes sense? I honestly prefer the style of your other songs but this still pretty cool. Would make for a good animated music video I think. I will say this, you have an awesome singing voice!

lucky witch - i like the hushed "run", way to set the tone. i like the creepy tone to this song. there's a glitch sound that goes on through this song and I find it pretty distracting, it happens to me sometimes when making beats and i think can usually fix it by turning down sub bass, i wish i could explain that better, i guess it kind of sounds like clipping? anyways, that aside, this was a cool song, i get the feeling that this would be an awesome song to see performed live, it just has a live band energy to me for some reason.

glenn case - nice intro with the drums and maybe just a hint of synth in there too? this has a really cool vintage/retro sound, i almost wonder if you actually used vintage equipment to record this? anyways, nice catchy stuff and i LOVE that solo breakdown!

pancotta - pretty mellow and relaxing song. once again I can hear this being featured in a film, i'm thinking some sort of pixar movie during one of the feel good parts of the movie. you should really be pitching your music for films!

jim tyrerell - always love a good zombie track! fun little rap track, reminds me of a rap song in the style of weird al, which is always fun. the dre era synth in the chorus is a nice touch, haven't heard that in forever, the song goes on just a little too long maybe, but still a fun track!

JP - lol nice intro, reminds me of a skit from something Elvira related. good thing i'm listening on headphones, my dog would of probably had something to say about those wolf howls. fun little track, some of the singing takes could have probably could have been improved, nice little guitar solo at the end.

night sky - this is catchy, especially the horns, the singing reminds me of richard cheese, like lounge act style, i enjoyed it at first but it kind of seemed to drag on, maybe could be a little shorter.

ken supe dupes - nice surf rock style but more like a pixies surf rock style, man i love this chorus, and i love ghosts, so this track really resonates with me. love when the synth kicks in, reminds me a bit of rentals. this is a great great song, and that synth solo, so good! all this needed was female backing vocals ala pixies, but beggars can not be choosers right? vote!

robyn - i was not expecting you to turn this out so quickly, when you said challenge accepted you would do it for the next fight, anyways... awesome job! you really delivered on the riot grrl style but while still keeping your robyn style. this is definitely my favorite song of yours so far, hope to hear more styles of music from you in the future, maybe k-pop next? lol jk, or am i... anyways, vote!

phlebs - the vocals are low in the background but it totally works with this style i think, kind of reminds me of alice in chains, i like the synth assault that comes in or whatever that is. organ synth? whatever it sounds cool, this track has some good ambiance. was expecting you to fill in the last 20 seconds of silence with psychedelic ambiance madness and maybe some more synth assault for good measure, oh well. still a vote!

lichen - nice bass line to start, catchy riffs to go along with it. for some reason this song makes me nostalgic for a time before we even imagined we'd be in a pandemic. i like the autotune part, it kind of makes me want to heard you do an entire song with autotune, it was kind of just a tease here. like it sounded weird which matches with the weird vibe most of your songs have and i kind of think an entire song yours with that effect could be pretty interesting to hear. btw, weird is not an insult, i'm a big fan of weird music, if you couldn't tell.

add - oh man a xylophone?? nice! it goes along really nice with that bass synth. this kind of reminds me of a malkmus track, as i said about owl's track earlier, except this is more specifically reminding me of a malkmus and the jicks track. holy crap i love that solo, you just got a vote for that alone! loved this!

brown word - and the award for spookiest track goes to *envelope please* YOU. i really like the whole atmosphere of this song, the bleeps and bloops of this song remind me of a certain postal service song, this place is a prison i think? anyways, i enjoyed this song, my only critique is the kick you used, sounds like the stock kick from fl studio, i don't like hearing it personally. still a cool track though!

amby - your vocals are awesome, the effects you got going sound so cool. this kind of reminds me of a cross between brimful of asha, thin lizard dawn, and flaming lips. which to me, personally is an amazing combination. that breakdown at the end is glorious, absolute vote!

pigfarmer jr - another track my dog would be very interested in if i wasn't wearing head phones. once again, big neil young vibes. this is a really good song, a bit morbid and disturbing, but i'm not phased by it if you didn't already know. loved the guitar solo, just wish it was a bit longer, but then you brought back a bite sized one at the end so i felt a sense of redemption. nice track overall!
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

SweeneyToad wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 pm
ken supe dupes - nice surf rock style but more like a pixies surf rock style, man i love this chorus, and i love ghosts, so this track really resonates with me. love when the synth kicks in, reminds me a bit of rentals. this is a great great song, and that synth solo, so good! all this needed was female backing vocals ala pixies, but beggars can not be choosers right? vote!
Thanks, and I agree. Lady backing vocals would have brought this to another level. Walking with a Ghost by Tegan and Sara was a track I thought about when writing this one. Matt Sharp of the Rentals contributed a ton of synth to that album. Also, I think I just generally try to sound like the Rentals since I tend to combine guitars and synths.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Evermind
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: UAD Volt 2, MXL770, Alesis VMini, Reaper, Hydrogen
Submitting as: Evermind, Moody Vermin, Ever Kenievel

Post by Evermind »

This time I'm going to try something a little different for my reviews, to try to give more pinpoint feedback. If a song goes in some direction that loses me, I'll put down the time and my best explanation on why it lost me in addition to the usual feedback. If it doesn't, it gets a vote!

Glenn Case - Vote!
Love the fuzz on the vocals and the sound of the piano. Lovely vocal harmonies. Sounds like the kick lags behind the rest of the song for some reason?

Lichen Throat - 0:21
Everything gets out of key with everything else really quick and it threw me early on. I really enjoy the vibe you have going on for this song, gives me a very goth rock vibe. I can tell by the end that the instruments were mostly (entirely?) programmed, but whatever you're using had me fooled to start with.

Sweeney Toad - Vote!
Nice tense intro with the retro-futuristic electronic noise. Love the aggressive rhythms. I think the clap volume needs to be brought down a bit. For some reason, on this one when you leaned this hard into the buttholes, I found it funny. You almost lost me around 1:30, the repeating "eyes in the dark" bit went on for a bit too long. This was weird as fuck but in a way that I really liked. GG.

Hot Pink Halo - 1:07
Right around the beginning, the violin notes are a little off, but that's how it goes with fretless instruments. The minimalism of this song is nice, and I like the idea behind it. At 1:07 there's vocal harmony that is off-key with the off-tune violin and it's too much. The distorted guitar toward the end was a nice little surprise that brought some variety. The spooky violin at the end is REALLY awesome. You pulled the spooky off really well.

Ken's Super Duper Band n' Stuff - Vote!
I get big 80s synth pop vibes from early on. Fuzzy synths around 1:40 are really tasty. The way you stress the wrong syllable of "warnings" like "warneeeeengs" really puts me off. Not enough to lose me entirely, though!

Pigfarmer Jr. - Vote!
Bringing the spooky right away. This song did a really good job of settling into the background for me. The two lead guitars clash a little bit right at the end and it sounds sloppy, but not enough to lose me.

Amby Moho - Vote!
The vocals sound awesome, I saw your comments earlier that things were recorded with vintage microphones. I also like that you lean into the early psych-rock vibe. The breathiness of the "eeeeeyes" sounds great and helps sell the vibe. The vocals sound lovely, but sadly the guitar just sounds squashed. What sounds like a reed organ is way too low in the mix for my taste when it comes in. Spooky detuned piano around 2:15 is great and helps seal the deal on the early psych rock vibe. Nice song, dude.

Pannacotta Army - Vote!
I'm hearing that same signature pannacotta organ right away. Your vocals on this one are a lot more mellowed out than the usual, I like the sound a LOT. The "hmmmm, whoa-oh" sounds great. The "ooh" right after "choirs of angels sing" doesn't sound quite right. Can't put my finger squarely on why, sorry.

JP Nickolas - 2:30
Spooky spoken word intro, nice. "Bitter ends they meet" is an awkward phrase. The spooky howl needs something, and maybe needs to be panned or set further back in the mix? I imagine you singing at an imaginary camera in my head, and then a dog sticks its face right in the camera and goes "wOoOoOoO" and it's almost comical. Your vocals are a tiny bit off time / tune around 1:15. Also, your vocals seem underconfident, which may be an artifact of singing at a soft volume when recording. I used to have this problem, and fixed it by singing louder while recording, which will keep your voice from wavering as much. The lyrics have some problems with not following "show don't tell", like the couplet "flesh on my arms ripped / I fall in a grassy crypt". The guitar solo seems a little sloppy in places. Between the lyrics, the awkward vocal delivery, and the sloppy guitar solo right in one place around 2:15-2:40, you lost me.

Phlebia - 3:30
Great drums, and the organ / guitar come in sounding great. Vocal effects are nice, but the vocals are mixed too loud for me. Oh fuck, this is another Grey's Anatomy song isn't it? 😂 Vocal delivery is a little off in the chorus. The extra loud vocals that go off-tune lose me at around 3:30.

Balls to Monte - Voted!
Excellent guitar and vocal intro give me a vaguely Zeppelin-song-about-Tolkien vibe. That long high note must have been hard to hit, but you did it! I feel like this is a short intermission song on an epic rock album right before a really heavy song.

add - Voted!
The xylo gives kind of a goofy vibe to this, in a good way. The little distorted guitar blips that come through now and again over the xylo are so nice.
This is minimalism at its best. Well done.

Night Sky - Voted!
Very jazzy vibes. Vocal delivery is pretty good, but spikes in volume in places. Could maybe use a touch of compression to clean it up. Saxophone work is killer. The delivery on everything is clean. Gotta say it again, the sax is awesome. Weird vocal timing around 2:05. The "like reason to an idiot" line is nice, but something about the delivery doesn't quite fit into the smoothness of the rest of the song. This is great stuff overall, well done.

Robyn Mackenzie - Voted!
Loving the riot grrl vibe. I think your voice could use a bit more distortion, it sounds just a touch too clean for the style. The vocal harmony chorus is just 😘👌. I appreciate your ability to swap genres and still really sell it. "You're gonna have to catch me" right at the end was such a good ending.

Caravan Ray - Voted!
The bass line is satisfying. I can't find much in particular to say about this song. I just kind of like it overall.

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost - 1:35
Caught me off guard with the start, nice. Drums sound kind of flimsy. Vocals clipping around 1min mark. Very spooky vibe. Things seem a little detuned. Everything gets out of tune with each other around 1:35 in a really clumsy, not spooky way, and it lost me. I like the overall concept of the song. The spoken word bit was cool, but came off a little corny. Vocals clipping really badly at the end of the song.

Jim Tyrrell - Voted!
Spooky zombie news report timed nicely with the music in the intro. Vocal delivery comes off as a little corny, I'm not sure why. Reminiscent of 90s hip hop tracks. I'm most of the way through the track now and while I still think it's corny, I also really like it. Like if Snoop Dogg watched Night of the Living Dead and it inspired him to write a song.

miscellaneous owl - Voted!
Drums seem to be lagging a tiny bit behind everything else, and are fairly quiet in the mix. Lead guitar doesn't seem to hit the notes on time. You very nearly lose me toward the end.

Brown Word and the Big Noise - Voted!
Lots of different little atmospheric things happening right up front, it's nice. Bit of a trip hoppy feel on this one. Sounds like a clap with a really bizarre delay on it somewhere around 2:45 and I really love how it sounds.
I am definitely too square for how experimental this is, but I can imagine that if I was in the right state of mind, the section starting at 2:20 might transport me to another dimension - jeffhenderson
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

ken wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:53 am
What would you call the rhythm?

Heartbeat with a dash of palpitation.
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
amby_moho
A New Player

Post by amby_moho »

okay, here's some lil blurbs
it's my first time ever writing these, and I guess I have a tendency to throw production ideas out there. is that something that people are generally into? i'm finding something to like in every song :)

add - I love this bass sound. Square wavvy. I like that the guitar spike is only on the 2. I could see some analogue 16th note delay or something on every other one, heh. I like the plinky (Midi?) vibraphone sound too. I like the 50s sounding lick that comes in around 1:50. I like the unison. I for one have been increasingly more & more a fan of brevity in pop songs, and I feel like this one could end about a minute sooner. But, I've also been critized for my songs being too short on here heh! cool song overall!    vote

Balls To Monte - Kinda like...Donovan meets Mr. Bungle chord changes. Maybe Sea Change Beck vibes a little. Oh man, I could hear a Kinks "Two Sisters"-style harpsichord line plinking starting somewhere halfway through. I really like these chord changes. I also actually like the pared down production.    vote

Brown Word and the Big Whine - Definitely spooky huh. This weirdly reminds me of "Turn Back Time" by Aqua. Not an insult. I actually LOVE Aqua, which may seem like an odd choice but. Besides the Barbie song they are so sick haha. Anyway, I see where this song is going. I like the vibe. I wish there was some more driving percussion halfway though. It feels like it wants it. Like a super distorted polyrhythmic beat starting during the instrumental break. just a random idea!

Caravan Ray - Immediately into it. I like the voice during the verse. I like how muted & baritone is. The chorus chord progression isn't my favorite! I feel like something is captured at the beginning of this song that gets a bit lost later.

Evermind - Feels a bit meandering. Not sure I love the drum machine + distorted riff combo. I like that the drums pick up a little, but the cymbal splashes seem to happen at moments that don't necessarily benefit the song? I like that the ending leaves you on a "?" note.

Glenn Case - Now here is a track, huh! Production sounds very full & fleshed out. I like the ascending chords in the prechorus. Chorus? Good harmonies. One thing I notice is that this song is keeping me engaged the entire time. Oh! It was a prechorus, as here is the Chorus! I love that you take a good long while to get to the chorus. That's some Elton John shit right there. Ah, the double chorus at the end. Classic. This is my favorite song so far.  Swoosh   definite vote

Hot Pink Halo - Wow. What alien nested in your brain to make this haha. The violin + seemingly disinterested vocals & drums certainly provide for an interesting vibe. I'm going to give this one 100 extra points for experimentalism. This track is weird af. I don't always....agree....with the harmonic changes... they are disorienting in a way that I'm not sure is totally intentionally. This is kinda like the Shaggs but more rhythmically conventional. I'd like to know more about the artist. One thing I've noticed is a lot of these reviews reference other songs people have made, but as a relative outsider to this community, I really have no idea what to expect. Let's say...this one defied any expectations I might have hahaha       vote

Jim Tyrell - Byzantine X-Files intro. When the bass enters it gets a lil more trip hop. Oh fuck, vocals just hit. this is nice! I like that the vocals are relentless. Excellent synth riff. To do this song live I feel like you'd need to figure out how to do some circular breathing type stuff haha these vocals just do not stop. I like it- provides for a very intense experience, and then followed by these chill synth zones; it's a nice juxtaposition. As I said earlier, I've been one for brevity over quantity, especially lately, so I could see this one end around the 3:00 mark. Although I like this later section where the guitar enters. Adds a nice vibe       vote

JP Nickolas - Ah, the spooky sounds. I see. This one perhaps is not for me, alas. I like that the intro is different than the rest of the song, but yeah I'm so sorry but I'm just not crazy about the melody, chord progression, harmonic elements or production on this track. It's clear you are a very talented guitarist! The shreddy aspects that come in later highlight that!

Ken’s Super Duper Band N’ Stuff - I like the synth! (if anyone can't tell by now, I love synth lol.) I like your vocals too. Chord progression is fine. Chorus unfortunately leaves me wanting something more! I think this track would benefit from some variation in dynamics & production. Maybe verse 2 could get quiet? Maybe the synths could drop out? I like the bridge the best so far out of all the parts. As I've said in a few other reviews, I'm one for brevity and I feel like this track goes on too long. Also that synth line from the instrumental section cuts off rather abruptly. Overall, dig your style! Hope to hear more tracks soon from you (whenever I participate next!)

Lichen Throat - Ah! Some David Berman vibes in these vocals. I like the guitar riff too. I could stand for the vocals to be slightly less up front in the mix. But hey, I love this track. I like all the elements, a lot. Vocals are a little wonky on tune but I feel like that works, honestly. Lyrics have some interesting bits as well. I definitely see where you are coming from. I feel like the choruses could use a static element in the background, or something to fill out the space a little? My favorite part of this song are the verses. I like that weird unexpected chord change that just happened haha that was wild. Riff change in the outro is alright. Wait is this MIDI guitar??? I like how fake it sounds. Overall, big fan of this track.          vote

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost - Hmm. Can't tell from the intro what this track is gonna be like. Oh wow. That sub synth grumble is vibrating my monitors haha. There is a shrillness to the hi hats that is piercing to me. I like the tritone chord change & stuff and the overall doom-y vibe of this song. But it's honestly hard for me to listen to because of the frequencies!! I am wincing!

Miscellaneous Owl - I dig. Kinda Liz Phair vibes? Definitely 90s seeming. It gets a little plodding rhythmically. Does the tempo slow down at one point, or did I smoke too much weed? When the guitar solo comes in, I could get some more presence from it. I like the overall elements of this song, for sure. Some of the vocals are hitting perfect 5ths on the harmony and that is irking me, but that might just be me. I like the muddy backup vox that come in. Haunted.      vote

Night Sky - Oh! A different vibe. Swanky lounge time. Is that real bari sax? Tuba? This seems well recorded. I didn't expect a smooth big band type thing on here. There is something disconnected here structurally that I can't quite put my finger on. I like the weird chords. Ah! Damn listen to that beautiful sax solo. This song is overall gelling with me there is just something that I can't quite put my finger on that feels empty in verse 1 that feels fleshed out more now. At any rate, I like it. Again, a little long for my taste.        vote

Pannacotta Army - Nice organ. Snare feels VERY up front in the mix. I like that you made the title work in the lyrics without being super obvious. Overall production sounds nice. Not in love with the chord changes, but they are pleasant. Some Randy Newman vibes here. I like the minor chord middle 8 zone. Nice switchup. My issue with this track is what most other people might really like about it, which is it just feels very..."normal." The guitar riff makes me feel like the sun came up during the Folger's commercial. I think if I had to zero in on my feeling, it's that everything feels consonant. Not sure if it's just the mood I'm in today, but I want some dissonance & strife haha. Clearly you are a gifted songwriter, and not trying to harsh the mellow over here, just giving my honest take!

Phlebia - Yes. Harsh right off the bat. Terrible buzzing noise. Yessssssss ahhh this riff is perfect. Phlebia my fav Song Fight artist, just saying. I like the vocal treatment. Production is interesting - feels like a lot of the instruments are panned L, while the vocals are mostly R. I like it. I love these synth blurbles coming in around 1:30. I could hear some additional vocal layers especially later in the song, but I like it the way it is. I like that there is an extra 20 seconds of the noise fading out.       vote

Pigfarmer Jr - I like the wind. I like the way these drums are recorded. Nice n punchy. It's bugging me that the guitar stabs are on the 1 - I want them to be on the 2! Maybe that's intentional, just wanted to mention it. The mix sits nicely overall. Overall pleasant, but platonic for me

Robyn MacKenzie - Good chord progression. I like the juxtaposition between the vocals call n response-d by the chords. I like this one a LOT. The cymbals are recorded or EQed a little harshly, which I'm not sure helps the song. This one gets major points from me for structure & progression. Song could be half as long and I'd like it better! vote

Sweeney Toad - WOW this synth sound. What is it? AHHHhhh when the vocals come in it's so disorienting. This is a 100% vote for me again because of...pure experimentalism. This song sounds insane. The little fake snare that comes in on the 3 is not my favorite. Also "torpedo in my butthole" haha this song is ridiculous. I can't..pinpoint....what....genre this is. The song tbh is a little GRATING but I still like it for that reason. vote

--
facebook.com/andymolholt
laserbackground.com
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

amby_moho wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:46 am
Night Sky - Oh! A different vibe. Swanky lounge time. Is that real bari sax? Tuba? This seems well recorded. I didn't expect a smooth big band type thing on here. There is something disconnected here structurally that I can't quite put my finger on. I like the weird chords. Ah! Damn listen to that beautiful sax solo. This song is overall gelling with me there is just something that I can't quite put my finger on that feels empty in verse 1 that feels fleshed out more now. At any rate, I like it. Again, a little long for my taste.        vote
Thanks! I do tend to have a different sound. I have very little fidelity to any particular genre, and will try to fit a saxophone (or two or four) in wherever I can. Yes, that's a real bari. This was heavily influenced by Nick Cave's live performances of Red Right Hand and I'm Your Man, though I didn't quite achieve that feel. The chords reflect my Steely Dan influence--trying to bring some jazzier chords into popular music without getting too harmonically complex.

I wonder if the issue you can't quite identify in the verse is the sparser rhythm section in the first half of each verse. Other than the stereo separation within the drum kit, the only separation is that the keyboard is panned a little to the right, and the guitar a little to the left. But in the first half of the verse (in verse 1, this is everything up to "she looked lovely..."), there is no guitar, so I probably should have put something else in the left channel or maybe just panned the keys back to center for that part. I was trying to build to the chorus, so I wanted the first half of the verse to be a little more sparse, but it may have needed a little something to fill it out. I also realized after I submitted this that I should have spread out the backing vocals in the chorus.
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

amby_moho wrote:
Balls To Monte - Kinda like...Donovan meets Mr. Bungle chord changes. Maybe Sea Change Beck vibes a little. Oh man, I could hear a Kinks "Two Sisters"-style harpsichord line plinking starting somewhere halfway through. I really like these chord changes. I also actually like the pared down production.    vote
Wow! You sure know how to kill me with kindness. I loved your song too.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

add:
I enjoy pretty much everything about this. The delivery of the lyrics is really charming, and all the little instrumental changes throughout are spot on.

Amby Moho:
It's fun listening to this now knowing that it's the mic alone filtering your voice like that. It's giving you some sibilance issues here and there, so it might be a thought to go through and do some automation on your vocal tracks (or you could use a de-esser I guess, but I've found that going in and manually automating myself where needed works much better personally). I enjoyed this in general. The ending feels a bit tacked on, like you remembered about adding spooky sounds at the last minute.

Balls To Monte:
This is very ren faire. Your vocals in this are really lovely. The vibe kind of reminds me of the King George songs from Hamilton. I really like the different take on the prompt.

Brown Word and the Big Whine:
Your mixing is definitely improving. The vocals sound really good, and all the other sounds are interesting and sitting well in the mix as well. I'd like to hear a bit more variation in the melody or structure, because it gets a little monotonous after a while.

Caravan Ray:
I like everything about this except the way that the vocals sound. I love the melodies and the interweaving, but I'd love it even more if you didn't sound like you were in a shoebox. Our rooms are super boxy and there's not much we can do about it at this point, so we bought one of those ungainly Marantz vocal shields to mount on our mic stands, and it makes a huge difference as far as room noise and reverb is concerned, so something like that might be useful if your room is crap for sound. Question just because I'm curious: do you deliberately or unconsciously drop your accent when you sing? (I only ask that because it's something I probably care about to a fault in my own songs.)

Evermind
Love the minimalism in the lyrics, and I love the guitar motif. The vocals are too quiet, but everything else is sounding good.

Glenn Case:
I think this is one of my favourite Glenn Case songs. It's very clearly one of your songs stylistically, but I think the extra layer of dirt in the sound really adds some character. "You should be running from me" is a nice line.

Hot Pink Halo:
As previously stated, this is a song about a tree stump in my past that used to give me the scares in my peripheral vision. It was pretty fun to make. I started with the drums and bass. The bass is a chromatic line that jumps to the tritone here and there. I'd been listening to a lot of Motown basslines and wanted to try and channel that into spookiness. Violins came after the bass; why even own a fretless instrument if you're not going to use it for fun spooky slides. With the violin there are lots of descending and ascending chromatic lines crossing over each other. The sawing sound at the end is the violin miced right up close combined with some deliberately "bad" bowing. For the guitar break I layered lots of Logic's "experimental" guitar sounds on top of one another using the spookiest collection of chords I could manage. I think the guitar bit and the ending are my favourite parts. I might have another crack at the vocals one day.

Jim Tyrrell:
This was thoroughly enjoyable. No real comments beyond that, sorry, but I really enjoyed it every time I listened to it.

JP Nickolas:
This is pretty fun. You don't sound super comfortable singing, but I feel like you improved from your entry last fight. I think you could benefit a lot by making your songs shorter with simpler structures, and this would give you more time to polish things. Currently it sounds like you really care about all the guitar bits, and the rest is just there as dressing.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:
I think you mentioned somewhere that you struggled with this song, but if I hadn't read that I would have no idea. I'm super glad you pushed through because this is a fun song and I really enjoyed it.

Lichen Throat:
I love that bass that opens on this one, and the the synth over the top of that. I like the instrumentation in general a lot, and I quite like the sound of the treatment on the chorus vocals. That bit where the autotune really kicks in is a bit distracting, as others have mentioned. Do you sing along to a midi programmed melody or just have at it? Your melodies seem to mostly sound the same, and I'm not sure if that's as deliberate choice, or if it's due to technical difficulties.

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost:
The opening "run" is wonderful. I really like those drone sounds in the introduction. I find the bass that follows on in the first verse a bit much; it might work better it was less rumbly and just more dirty. I really like that high pitched synth sound, and the instrumentation in general.

miscellaneous owl:
I, too, was a teenage girl in the 90s. I really like those call and response panned guitar strums. I'm pretty impressed that you made this in four hours. I think I've mentioned this before, but I think you'd really like Australian 90s band The Clouds.

Night Sky:
The vocals are a bit quiet, but this is a really fun song. I really like the horns and the general vibe. I find myself not really investing in anything that the lyrics are about, and I'm not sure if it's because it feels a bit wordy, or because they're too quiet, or a combination of those two things.

The Pannacotta Army:
How the hell do you have wherever you record set up so that it always sounds so beautiful. Please tell me your secrets.

Phlebia:
I like the instrumentation in this, but the vocal processing is a bit piercing. Delivery is good though (except for that weird sound at the end of each line that owl also mentioned...) I really like that twinkly synth break.

Pigfarmer Jr:
I enjoyed this. I agree with owl about those fuzzy guitars. It's not that I think they're too loud, but there's something about them that's just really making them stick out from the rest of the song. I wonder if some reverb or something on them would have helped them sit back a bit. I like the "and we ride on, we ride on" lyrics and delivery.

Robyn Mackenzie:
Great opening line. This is super fun and I love it. The cymbals feel a bit too washy perhaps. That chorus is just killer. "I hear your voice on the wind calling me out to play" is another nice line. Love the ending.

Sweeney Toad:
In all honesty, I wasn't really looking forward to listening to this after reading the lyrics, but in reality it's just so silly that I can't help but enjoy it. The synth robot bit is very fun. "It is their bat cave." Lol.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

amby_moho wrote:
Miscellaneous Owl - I dig. Kinda Liz Phair vibes? Definitely 90s seeming. It gets a little plodding rhythmically. Does the tempo slow down at one point, or did I smoke too much weed? When the guitar solo comes in, I could get some more presence from it. I like the overall elements of this song, for sure. Some of the vocals are hitting perfect 5ths on the harmony and that is irking me, but that might just be me. I like the muddy backup vox that come in. Haunted.      vote
Thanks for the feedback--they're MIDI drums, so no tempo changes, not intentionally, anyway. Didn't know parallel fifth harmonies bothered anyone outside of classical music tbh!

I'm a big Liz Phair fan! I played in a tribute band one year where we covered a bunch of her songs. Went with my tribute-bandmates to see her play in Milwaukee in 2018. I don't know if you were playing with them at the time, but Speedy Ortiz opened :)
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

SweeneyToad wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 pm
misc. owl - I've never really heard anything like this from you, it seems like I can only really remember hearing acoustic jams from you. This is more like an indie rock song from the late 90's/early 2000's and I really like it. The guitar solo reminds me of pavement for some reason. now i want to hear a malkmus/owl collab. anyways, this is really good, i enjoy it a lot, and the little bit of spookiness at the end was a nice touch. great song! p sure you get a vote for this one.
hey now, I just checked and I'm only at about a 40% acoustic jams ratio :) Tell Stevie M i'm waiting for his call!

@crumpart--I don't know the Clouds, I'll check them out!
@phlebia--I don't remember if I told you that I listened to that Lush album and I totally see what you mean
amby_moho
A New Player

Post by amby_moho »

owl wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:11 pm
amby_moho wrote:
Thanks for the feedback--they're MIDI drums, so no tempo changes, not intentionally, anyway. Didn't know parallel fifth harmonies bothered anyone outside of classical music tbh!

I'm a big Liz Phair fan! I played in a tribute band one year where we covered a bunch of her songs. Went with my tribute-bandmates to see her play in Milwaukee in 2018. I don't know if you were playing with them at the time, but Speedy Ortiz opened :)
I think I might've just imagined the slowdown! And yes, the fifth harmonies sound "good" they just bother me personally heh. Yes! I played that Milwaukee show!! That old theater was crazy. The stage was pitched! One of the sound people told me they used to do musicals there I guess. My dad's family is from Milwaukee originally and I still have family there. I like that town. That's rad you were at that gig!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Haha that’s awesome, how weird that I saw you play! Did you meet my friend Ian O.? he was working that show, I think running sound. I’m sure you probably don’t remember but just thought I’d ask just in case.

Yeah, I’d never been to that venue before (I live in Madison) and I remember the big debris nets they’d strung on the ceiling, I guess to prevent big chunks of history from falling on people. You guys were great! I remember someone broke a string during the set, and also some drunk girl in the bathroom told me she thought you guys sounded like Hole (?!) I went and searched my Facebook memories and found a blurry picture! Maybe you’re in this, I can’t tell what’s happening on stage:
A1CF411B-B4D5-4B8A-BA2C-9299ECA6DA18.jpeg
A1CF411B-B4D5-4B8A-BA2C-9299ECA6DA18.jpeg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Also, this shirt is in my closet! I like that it’s aqua. More bands should do colorful merch. I have too many black band tees.
F502DD45-F218-43BA-A578-2E7D142ABF2B.jpeg
F502DD45-F218-43BA-A578-2E7D142ABF2B.jpeg (100.66 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Remember back when live music was a thing...? Maybe one day there will be shows again, that would be cool.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Amby Moho wins!
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:12 pm
Amby Moho wins!
Congrats!
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Well, I will take that as a lesson learned. Don't send in a song unless you truly are happy with it, lest you want to come in dead last (on your birthday).
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Congrats amby!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratulations.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang