What was that? (Disembodied Voice reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What was that? (Disembodied Voice reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'd be up for a remix fight if ever it happens. (Or other mix-related shenanigans such as described above.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I have stems again. 2x vocal tracks, 2x "guitar" tracks, 1 bass track, 2 mic drum tracks. No clipping this time. But I won't be offended if people wanna mix someone else.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Evermind
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: UAD Volt 2, MXL770, Alesis VMini, Reaper, Hydrogen
Submitting as: Evermind, Moody Vermin, Ever Kenievel

Post by Evermind »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:54 am
I'd be up for a remix fight if ever it happens. (Or other mix-related shenanigans such as described above.)
It's on! Check the Sidefights section for a thread on it.
I am definitely too square for how experimental this is, but I can imagine that if I was in the right state of mind, the section starting at 2:20 might transport me to another dimension - jeffhenderson
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

NOTE: I feel like there's a more than usual amount of genre/familiarity bias in my reviews this time around. Apologies to those that only got a few words, but know that I listened to the whole fight many times over, generally enjoyed it, and just didn't end up with interesting thoughts you need to hear.

Brown Word & The Big Whine - I don't know, maybe the intro's too long. It works, but perhaps it would still work at half as long. I like the moment when the harmony joins singing "disembodied voice". This isn't my kind of thing, so it's hard for me to just the effectiveness of the bridge, but it doesn't feel like the main song comes rushing back with the power it ought to.

Cloverdance - This is my kind of thing. I like the jangly vibe. As simple as it is, I love that solo that just repeats the main melody.

Conspiracy of Joy - The production suits this perfectly, especially those reverby drums. Personally, it strikes me as melodramatic in the way of something from Frozen or Hamilton. The singing is quite nice. My favorite part is the refrain. It's a pleasing melody.

Evermind - This feels much shorter than it is for some reason. I didn't write anything at all for several rounds of listening because it was just over. The arrangement fits nicely together. Strong bass line. I like the sentiment.

Future Boy - Fun story and fun casio funk. I love how you used the repeating phrase. And what a cool dreamy section preceding it.

FutureProofTheories - Not sure what to do with this. Could be a decent Music Memo recording of a melody that you're going to flesh out later.

Hostess Mostess - Yeah, this is pretty deadly serious. The performance and arrangement are well done. The songwriting is skillful, all the sections lead well into the next, but the sincerity is hard for me personally.

J.A.N. - Interesting production. I'm mostly genre-blind to rap, and it's not doing much for me. I liked the line about something wicked crawling into your lungs. A lot of the other lines didn't offer much other than referencing something I'm aware of.

Jon Porobil - Forgive me for reacting to J$ here, but I was surprised to hear your song after his "review". I was ready for something kind of pretentious, but this isn't that. Maybe the count-in is a little too indulgent since we know you're only talking to yourself. But this seems pleasantly breezy to me. I love that main guitar lick.

JP Nickolas - Not my style of music, but it seems like the drums should pack a bigger punch. I'd mix the vocals down a bit. I'd like to be more surrounded by the excellent guitar tracks.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - This gives plodding a good name. Maybe something's not plodding if it's good? Nice touch bringing the fuzzy e-bow near the end. The backing vox sound great in the build.

Lichen Throat - Count me among those rooting for your vocals. Your voice is cool. Have you tried toning down the reverb? It's so easy to overdo it. Your arrangements are interesting and unique. I especially like the transition to the chorus in this one.

luntar - Fun little ditty. Good solo.

Night Sky - Ohhh synths on a Night Sky song. Good complement to your sound. I like that down-sliding melody a lot. I've often felt like your mixes lacked some punch, but I now think the issue is just that your songs are mastered quieter than most of the others. The punch is there when I turn it up.

Paco del Stinko - Cool whale noises. Good mood piece.

Pannacotta Army - I think this is my favorite of your arrangements I've heard. I love those shifts to noisy - and right back. The whole thing sounds so full and clear.

Phlebia - I admire the production, and I like the title hook. I don't like the "your lungs are good", etc part. Don't know why those lyrics bug me. Maybe I don't like body parts.

Pigfarmer Jr - Good sound. I'm vibing with the melody/harmony in "Second-guessing all the...". The spoken word part is a little goofy, but I like the confidence in your delivery.

seemanski - Not loving the vocal affectations on the call-response, but other than that personal taste issue, it works really well. The arrangement is great.

Sweeney Toad - Well, you probably win the optional challenge. It feels like a Sweeney Toad appetizer. I almost like "I am Scarlett Johansen" better as a non sequitur. And because I never finished my reviews for the last fight, I have to tell you now that the Tom Hanks line killed me.

Third Cat - Cool groove in the chorus. I like that tremolo-ing synth. This is pretty enjoyable.

Tim Hinkle - I find myself trying to imagine what background would appear on the green screen during the swirling verses. The transition to the chorus is working for me, clearing out the chaos for the main message. That sharp distorted guitar sound works well.
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

Great showing, and lots of enjoyable songs. It's a pity the reviews got buried in a lot of negativity and noise, but I enjoyed how the community rose up and started helping each other after some initial ugliness.

add: Great acoustic sound, and nowhere to hide in the simple arrangement. Luckily, you don’t have much to hide, so it works out great.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: I really like the in your face guitars. Nice vocal melody, and the delay on the vocal works well for me. Structurally I kind of wish the contrasting section at the end acted more like a bridge than an extended outro.

Cloverdance: I get strong 60s psychedelic vibes from this, and I like it. Not sure if that’s the mixing choices others have referenced, but whatever it is, it creates an atmosphere. I also like the slow flange effect on the guitar between the chorus and verse. Vocals could use more energy.

Conspiracy of Joy: Nice vocals. I like the melodic bass line and guitar solo as well. Overall, though, it builds too slowly for my taste, and I don’t feel like there’s enough added along the way to sustain interest over three full verse-chorus iterations.

Evermind: Fade in is a little slow for my tastes, but after it comes in, I like how the keys, drums, etc. build gradually. Vocals sound great to me. I would have liked a little more... something, though, after the vocals come in fully halfway through the song. Ending feels a little sudden and unresolved. Maybe that was the point, though.

Future Boy: I really enjoy the synths and vocal melodies in the A and B parts of the song, but the bridge loses me completely. The vocals are so buried in effects and the mix overall that I find myself straining to make them out.

FutureProofTheories: I have to admit that on first listening (in sfjukebox, on my phone as I walked to work) I thought this was a strange coda to Future Boy’s song. Given that this was not the case, I’m not sure what to make of it. It’s got some cool ideas, though, so please stick around and keep it coming.

Hostess Mostess: My first reaction to this was, wow, great vocal performance, and nice melody. It’s one of those melodies that feels really familiar, and I don’t know if that’s because I’ve heard it before, or if it’s just one of those melodies that sounds good because it works. Background chattering voices are a nice touch. Nice sentiment in the lyrics.

J.A.N.: Couldn’t really find the hook of the song :) Good lyrics, delivery sounds pretty good to my ear, though it’s not a style I really feel qualified to judge.

Jon Porobil: So the one thing I agree with j$ on is that the count-in is out of time. Otherwise the vocal performance is good, and the whole thing is stylistically convincing, with a nice swing to it. Feels a little crowded in places, but very enjoyable overall. Nice ending. Feels live, which I dig.

JP Nickolas: As usual the guitar work sounds capable, but sorry to be a broken record, so outside of my wheelhouse that I really don’t know how to assess it. I know I can’t play that fast under any circumstances, and I’d just make a lot of fuzzy noise if I tried to use that much distortion. So, well done. Vocal timing feels a bit uneven.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: Definitely ticked the box on minimal/repetitive lyrics. Very well put together and good performances, as per usual. I like the use of space in the rhythm section during verse to make room for the vocals.

Lichen Throat: Along the same lines as Jon’s previous comments, there is something odd about your melodies and arrangements that I can’t quite put my finger on. I think it’s partly stylistic—I’m very much into styles with strong rhythmic grooves and harmonic motion, and I don’t think that’s where you’re coming from. But I also get the impression that your process is to compose parts that are played with software instruments exclusively. If that’s the case, I would encourage you to get your hands on some “real” instruments to get a better feel for what they can do, and what it feels like to play music. Even if you don’t gain the confidence to actually record instruments right away, it will help your composition and vocals.

luntar: Dig the short and sweet country tune. Well-executed, fun lyrics.

Night Sky: I only had access to my laptop, a guitar, and my EWI for this one, so I had to change up my usual saxophone-driven approach. I stumbled on the bass synth line when I noticed that a backing part I recorded on the EWI sounded kind of like a bass part, but a couple octaves too high. So I just pitch shifted it down, but kept the original too. Any Scooby Doo vibes were unintentional, but I’ll take it. Also, the bridge doesn’t make any sense, because I got the lyric wrong—should have been “endless gluttony for pain, for sorrow, for loneliness,” not “of.” The vocal timing bothers me, and I think it accounts for the looseness that was mentioned more than the rhythm parts themselves (could be wrong). Also the vocal doubling didn’t work as well as I had hoped; should have done more takes on the vocals all around.

Paco del Stinko: Great guitars, as usual. I like the whispers. I’d like the lead vocal to be more confident. Also kind of wish it kept going a little longer; feels like it’s starting to build, then it’s over.

The Pannacotta Army: Great performances, arrangement, and production. Love the persistent build to the break around 1:30 followed by the spaces around 2:30. Lots of great contrasts throughout, but enough glue to keep it unified. One of my favorites in this fight.

Phlebia: Another frontal assault on the eardrums (or maybe lateral, since that’s how my eardrums are oriented at least). I gotta admit, I think I enjoy your reckless abandon and your clear enjoyment of your own music more than I enjoy the music, per se. That's not a dig, just a style thing.

Pigfarmer Jr: Dig it. Don’t have a lot of specific comments, but it just feels all around solid and enjoyable. My other favorite in this fight.

seemanski: Definitely some effective creation of atmosphere in this one. Some of the synths are pretty harsh on the ears, though.

Sweeney Toad: I like the flute synths and concise lyrics that certainly nail the challenge.

Third Cat: Generally like this. It gets a little too chaotic for me when the delayed and background voices come up to almost the same level as the lead vocal (second chorus, I think). This is another one that ends a little too quickly for my taste, I would have stuck with it a bit longer.

Tim Hinkle: I like the arrangement, atmosphere and lyrics quite a lot. The falsetto in the chorus is a nice touch. Intro guitar riff is also a high point.
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

mholland wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:36 pm
Phlebia: Another frontal assault on the eardrums (or maybe lateral, since that’s how my eardrums are oriented at least). I gotta admit, I think I enjoy your reckless abandon and your clear enjoyment of your own music more than I enjoy the music, per se. That's not a dig, just a style thing.
Hey, as long as you're entertained! I'd be lying if I claimed that I entered with the sake of winning, I just sort of take whatever idea is running through my head for a given week and go all in. I'd much rather be polarizing than dull :p Not going to lie though, I had to redo a couple of lines on this one cause I couldn't not giggle during the delivery.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 pm
mholland wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:36 pm
Hey, as long as you're entertained! I'd be lying if I claimed that I entered with the sake of winning, I just sort of take whatever idea is running through my head for a given week and go all in. I'd much rather be polarizing than dull :p Not going to lie though, I had to redo a couple of lines on this one cause I couldn't not giggle during the delivery.

Haha, perfect, thanks for that tidbit.
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Add - this is really pleasant, good story, recording quality is excellent as usual. i like the simplicity of the structure and the lyrics keep me engaged.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - i like the chorus and the harmony is good. the vocals sound nice floated over the crunchy guitars, but i might like guitars to be a bit more crisp. i feel like you are definitely committed to the vocal performance, but there is some pitchiness here and there. liked the switch up at 2:30, i think the guitar solo could have been louder.

Cloverdance - not sure i like the panning of the drums, but i get that you are probably going for a "sitting in the room with the musicians" vibe. the drums have a lot of liveliness going on in them, might be nice to have some of that in the guitar. do like the vocal delivery.

Conspiracy of Joy - so dreamy. want a rounder bass sound. your voice is lovely, but does seem to be some straining towards the higher notes. I like the melody on "and you whisper never ever again" but some of the other melodic bits get a bit meandering for me. the harmonies don't blend as well as they maybe could, i'd guess that's down to inconsistencies in mic'ing and possibly different reverbs?

Evermind - very nice bass tone and good chill piano. things felt suddenly a little harmonically weird when the vocals came in. not liking the drum sounds on this, they are not as choice and inviting as the bass and keys.

Future Boy - hey that's me. still really like the intro. Agree with the critique of the vocal performance and I also think the lyrics could use some more work. probably could have cleaned up some of the rhythm in the dinky guitar parts. also wanted the vocal to be distinctly different sounding for the parts that are the disembodied voice talking and didn't really get that worked out to my satisfaction.

FutureProofTheories - i appreciate that you took the time to record something and get an idea out, but this very much feels like a rough rough rough draft.

Hostess Mostess - i do love your voice and vocal style, but dipping a bit flat on some notes here, which really jumps out at the beginning where the arrangement is sparse. love all the surprising chord changes in this song, well done there. the track overall is really missing some good solid low end. i'd like a fuller sounding acoustic guitar, it's very thin sounding with almost more strum sound than tone.

J.A.N. - the lyrics on this are so good, pointed, painful. feel like the music fits the lyrical content really well. the synth that is panned hard left could be brought down in volume, I think, feels very unbalanced listening on my monitors anyhow. rhythm on the rapping could be tighter, I think, there are some awkward stretching of words, but diction is great.

Jon Porobil - count-in is weird, main groove is somehow too close to "crazy little thing called love" somehow. i think generally there is just a bit too much slop in the rhythms. lots of high-frequency stuff bouncing all over that smears things and takes the impact out of it. vocal performance is pretty good, but I guess for me it's like "yeah, heard this melody many times in other songs, nothing new here" and I find that off-putting.

JP Nickolas - like the guitars, don't like the vocals, but you've foregrounded the vocals so much that sometimes I lose the guitars. hard-panned guitars might be nice here so they sit on either side of the vocals.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - oh just listen to that incredible sounding snare. this track has all the best parts of 90s indie rock and your production is fantastic as usual. i think my only gripes are the way you enunciate some of the words like "mind" and that the lyrics feel kind of shallow to me, like kind of generic and vaguely invoking some feeling or other. at the same time, that's pretty typical for the kind of catchy pop that you write, and you do it really well.

Lichen Throat - lyrics on this are great, cool way to bring the song title into the story of north american conquest. i continue to be a fan of your arrangements, lots of little fiddly bits that always seem to fit together somehow. i'm curious if your use of what sounds like general midi sounds is an aesthetic choice or if you are just using what you have on hand. i'm personally very fond of the general midi sounds and that's part of my enjoyment of your work. musically the only thing that doesn't quite work for me is the chorus, although i wonder if this is just because your vocal melody feels less solid there than it does in the verses.

luntar - nailed the jam and feel, good vocal performance, well mixed, good solos, short and sweet.

Night Sky - doubled vocals was a good choice here. i like the synths. overall the mix feels flat. guitar could be brighter, crisper. not a super fan of your voice in this one, i feel like in other entries it's worked better for me, hard to say exactly why. song ended right when i was starting to feel like it was getting too repetitive.

Paco del Stinko - flute thing is really nice. not a fan of the whispered "yes i know", but do like the performance and processing on the lead vocal. guitar solo very nice.

The Pannacotta Army - lovely guitar tone and mix with the keyboard. getting vague super furry animals vibes. drums feel a bit loud, they smack my face. bridge is nice change of arrangement, do like the clap. ++ synth freak out at 2:45 and arrangement switch up after.

Phlebia - it scared me at first, but then it grew on me.

Pigfarmer Jr - really like your voice on this one! the song is a bop, I don't really have much criticism.

seemanski - these lyrics work a lot better in the context of the song than when i read them in the lyrics thread. i like a lot of the synth stuff, especially the bassline.

Sweeny Toad - yes, these are good sounds. i need to use more bit crush.

Third Cat - vocals get kind of lost in the effects around 0:50 and I no longer know what the song is about. just as a musical experience it's all very pleasant, though.

Tim Hinkle - feel like you did a good job of creating the disembodied voice in the intro. and showing some good range in your voice. think the vocals could be higher in the mix, actually. i like this song a lot.
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Evermind
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: UAD Volt 2, MXL770, Alesis VMini, Reaper, Hydrogen
Submitting as: Evermind, Moody Vermin, Ever Kenievel

Post by Evermind »

Future Boy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:28 pm
Evermind - very nice bass tone and good chill piano. things felt suddenly a little harmonically weird when the vocals came in. not liking the drum sounds on this, they are not as choice and inviting as the bass and keys.
Thanks! The chill piano was Future Boy inspired. I just got a little MIDI keyboard and this song was basically me listening to a lot of post rock and dicking around with a new toy. Drums are eternally my kryptonite, so yeah, I'm with you on that. They suck a bit.

Thanks for the review :)
I am definitely too square for how experimental this is, but I can imagine that if I was in the right state of mind, the section starting at 2:20 might transport me to another dimension - jeffhenderson
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

add and Hostess Mostess tie!
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Woohoo!! Congratu-double-ations!!
.sig
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Twice as much congratz in the same size package. Good going you two.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Shocked and honored.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Congrats, add and hostess mostess !

I didn’t manage to get reviews on all the songs written, but here are what I did manage!

Disembodied Voice:

Lichenthroat: the verse melody is repetitive, but the fact that I can hear it well enough to make that comment shows improvement from the last time i Heard- you, which might have been nur ein. The chorus creates a nice contrast from the verse melody. I love your instrumental sound, midi guitar all the way! The way you layer the instruments creates a great rhythm texture under the voice. I like the manifest destiny intwined with disdain theme in the lyrics.

BWBW: what an opening! I am very pumped to hear what it becomes- and though the intro feels long, it doesn’t disappoint. Great use of the challenge. I want your main line and the harmony vocal to cut off at the same time. The double s’s are distracting to my choir nerd brain. The guitars are great, ooh and the solo has a nice forward groove to it. What comes after is pretty cool. End feels a little abrupt

Future boy: ooh this feels super 80s. These lyrics are funky. I like them a lot. It is impossible to make out what you’re a saying in the no one loves you section, so thanks for posting your lyrics. Does that bit transition to the solo with the nbc logo? Haha. I think the ending, repeating the line over and over is... mediocre. I see what you’re going for, I understand it’s kinda the point, but it fell flat for me. You sing in your head voice very well.

Pannacotta army: I love the drums. The instrumentals are great, and you sing very well. I like the harmony line adding a little depth to the voice. The Oohs are a nice change up. The synths are a choice for your voices but I’m not sure they match this song particularly (despite me saying that, I do very much like them)

Seemanski- “t's the sound of a thousands bulls heading for a china shop” is such a great line. The opening synths sounds insidiously like someone knocking on a wall, and it’s a great set up for this song. The synths are great, and they way their lines jump around adds to the jumpiness of the piece. I like it a lot. The call and response nature of the song with the different effects on the vocals is great. This is one of my favorites of the fight. I like the tempo alterations you do at the bridge.

Night sky: is this about trump? Haha jk but it’s a good portrait of Twitter trolls. The doubled vocals are to dry- give them just a little reverb, also they don’t always line up, which takes me out of the song. The song is good, but not one that stands out particularly (there are a lot of those in this fight for me)

Pig Farmer Jr.: I love your chorus it’s catchy and singable able, and makes a good contrast to the verse. I think a big part of that is the doubles vocal- good call on that. The spoken word takes me out of it, though. It sounds like TMBG had a cameo in a perfectly good and normal song- maybe if instead the spoken word was more of a rap than a recitation I’d feel differently.

Conspiracy of Joy: Us! Who doesn’t love a five minute four chord song, amirite? This was written as a response to watching the crown and the In her own words documentary about Princess Diana. Lyrics are how I imagine her perspective. This song and particularly the melody really drift more into classical art than band music. You can tell by me constantly fighting with the tempo wanting to add more rubato and expression to it. I think I’m getting better at mixing! I appreciate you guys’ feedback- I guess I really did up too much reverb on the drums haha

Iuntar: Groovy, in a country kind of way. So short! Like my review. Sorry!

Phlebia: the drums are a sort of chaos that is emblematic of you. The first lyric I was able to make out was disembodied voices, so nice. I wish I could make out for of the vocals cause I can tell you’re doing them well. The rap sounded good, despite not being able to make out the words. I also really like the intro and outro

Jp Nichols: your vocals are too dry- add some reverb, and the sparky quality you give them makes the two takes not help, and it doesn’t sound good. Maybe the reverb will help, or maybe if you lowered one or both in the mix. It just sticks out too Much.
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro