Scooby Snacks for (Another Mystery Solved reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Re: Scooby Snacks for (Another Mystery Solved reviews)

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

crumpart wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 am
Damn, I’ve really got to start doing reviews straight away rather than thinking “I’ll listen again tomorrow and do them then”, because that strategy really isn’t working for me. I did get a lot of work done this week though, so there’s that at least.

Anyway, congrats Douche Puppy!
Yeah, I'm in the same boat this week. I wound up doing a random project on freelancer and working on a song for my friend. "I'll write these reviews" and then just didn't get around to it...

Anyway, great job Douche Puppy. Yours was one of my faves this week, along with IRCUSM, Owl, PANOPLY, and Brother Baker.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:49 am
Yours is probably the only song where I’d thought of anything to add to a review that hasn’t already been said by someone else. I don’t think the vocals were particularly unclear, and I had no trouble personally making out what you were singing. When I listened to the song the image that came to mind was the scene from The Lion King in the elephant graveyard; your vocals sounded like they were living inside a cage of bones, which I enjoyed. I would have liked to hear other sound frequencies (especially bass) in the mix, as everything did have the vibe of living in the same spot sonically.

The other slight tweak I’d make is that the moment of change in the song feels like a really definite conclusion to me, and every time I listened I was discombobulated right there because I thought the song was ending. This could be worked around by making the final chords in the first section a bit more open and inconclusive perhaps, so that it leads into the next section more naturally.
Thanks for the input—that all makes sense to me, and I like the suggestion about adjusting the chord progression.

I was playing the rhythm piano part quite low and the lead part quite high, with the “strings” in the middle, but I probably could have taken the lower register keys down another octave.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

mholland wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:03 pm
the panna cotta army wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 pm
owl wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:18 pm
I predict you’ll win this fight.
If I win this fight I’ll record a tuba and fuzz guitar instrumental for the next one
We're gonna hold you to that.
a narrow escape :D

Congrats and thanks to Douche Puppy.