Silence blaring for (A 9/11 Every Day reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Silence blaring for (A 9/11 Every Day reviews)

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Hey, kids. Smalltown here. Long-time listener, first time caller. Mostly these are speed reviews. And goddammit I’m going to try to be honest. THIS IS A LOT OF SONGS, and a lot of good ones at that.

ADD — so, you should know I’ve always been a big fan of your “Systematic Panic.” This is really good. I could probably have been happy with a change at some point, but …. This is really good. Best use of the talking blues challenge.

AMERIKKKA THE GREAT – This feels like a good intro, an interlude on an album or something, but I don’t feel it really works as a standalone song. Would have been good if it broke into something.

Balls To Monte – That’s a really nice melody. The vocals are really interesting, but the production on them is a little thin; I keep waiting for them to kick in on the chorus in all their lush rich glory, harmonies and such. It’s almost like they were recorded via a phone line.

Berkeley Social Scene – The mix on this really nice. It’s almost too polished — the song could be a little rawer. But damn that mix is good.

Blind Mime Ensemble – I did not enjoy the glitchiness. Chalk it up to genre bias or whatever you like, but …

Brother Baker – This is really good and the samples are really placed — but I hate that orange asshole’s voice so much that the samples ruin it for me. I can’t really listen to it. Maybe if the samples were used more sparingly. There’s good variety and the Russia refrain is nice, but ugh his voce.

Brown Word and the Big Whine – Always appreciate your stuff. It’s well done weirdness. I dig the spoken “It’s like a 9/11 everyday.” The operatic stuff is great. Operatic? Yea, that’s what I called it.

The Def Author – I know you swear and all, but I keep thinking this sounds like an after-school special/PSA. It’s all very safe — even when you swear.

Escapegoat / Lichen Throat- I don’t really have a lot to say. I think it’s fantastic that you’re making music and hope you never stop. The more you do, the better your rhythm and pitch will be. I do think you should probably just do the one song a week.

Giraffes For Wings – Great! Like the ways the vocals get doubled here and there (I think they do?) and like the “like towers they’re gone.” Good use of the title.

IRC USM – I actually feel you didn’t quite nail the RATM vibe. On paper, yea. But Zach’s voice has SO MUCH passion in it. This came off to me as a nod to RATM, but didn’t have the power or the … rage … that RATM has. Also, I would have liked to see the rapping really get going, but there were too many repeated phrases for my liking.

Lunkhead – Lovely vibe. I’m always impressed by something understated like this that can carry a song. Your vocals could maybe have a little more presence, chorus is nice.

MetroBoyz – When I first heard this I thought it was Wreckdom. The drums seemed like a strange choice, but I think they work after all. I wasn’t sold on this until the “kiss my ass” part — that’s the gold.

Night Sky – I like the fiddle and the overall groove — but those vocals NEED to come down a bit because they drown everything out. Interesting things going on in the background, but they’re hard to hear, especially with the harshness of the vocal production.

The Pannacotta Army – this has an immediately likeable groove. Sooooo smooth, yacht rock. I like it a lot. Really great.

PANOPLY – What a great intro. I know this is talking blues, but the vocals are really not working for me. I would have loved to hear singing on this, because I really like the backing track. The guitar is really great, and nice tone.

Pigfarmer Jr – this is really nice. Vocals are great. “All the words I write/in love and in spite” is a great line. This would be good with a bridge — it could be longer!

Robyn Mackenzie – Something about the mix seems a little boomy at times — and I think your vocals could be a little more upfront. This is really outside my wheelhouse, but the chorus is really nice. The harmonies and melody around the “Is it over yet” is really nice.

ShoehornTC – So pretty. The “aaays” after “just like in grandpa’s day” got me. I really like it. Nice enough chorus. Great work.

Sly Eli — Nice and pretty, nice work.

Stacking Theory – This is one of those songs that starts and I think — oh this is interesting, I hope the vocals don’t suck. And they don’t! They’re good, though maybe a little more whispery than I would like. But very listenable and creates a really nice feeling.

Vom Vorton – Your vocals don’t quite blend with the music, maybe down a bit, and maybe not so close the mic. “When you’re with me it’s a 9/11 everyday “is really funny — oh, it’s over? Felt like one verse and one chorus.

The Sewer People – This is me and Rob. We made a dub version too with lots of uber delay and tape emulation, for those of you that are into that.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

add wins, congrats!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Congrats add! You talk a good blues.
rkennett
A New Player
Instruments: guitars, midi, tracker
Recording Method: reaper
Submitting as: PANOPLY
Pronouns: he

Post by rkennett »

very nice add!
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Congratulations add!!!
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 pm
@IRC USM - Please put this on spotify. I have a libertarian playlist I'd love to add this to. (Yeah, I know it's not strictly libertarian. Also, the playlist is titled a bit toward anti D and I need more good anti R songs.) Oh, and no-one listens to the playlist so I guess it doesn't matter.
Scheduled to release April 08, 2021 (if all goes as planned...) A 9/11 Every Day by IRC USM
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Oh, sweet! Thanks!
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:25 pm
Oh, sweet! Thanks!
No. Thank you for giving me the reason to push myself to try and "release" something... It's live now BTW. I don't know how to find it on Spotify (I don't use it...) but I see it's up on Amazon Music and Apple Music, so I assume the other storefronts/streaming services have it up now too. Other than the MISSTYPING of our NAME... I'm pleased. :)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Sounds good. The band name seems right now. I've added it to the playlist. Let me know if you add more music.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang