A little reefer and some (Spiked Punch reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

A little reefer and some (Spiked Punch reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Going down easy.
Last edited by Lunkhead on Mon May 17, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: make normal
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: A little reefer and some (Spiked Punch reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please, if you would, commit your lyric to internet eternity for our reading pleasure at the following location: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12093

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Cringe along with Max Bombast:
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Adam! wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:36 pm
Cringe along with Max Bombast:
TIME TO SNEEZE!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

Lots of great songs in this fight! My votes went to:

Paco del Stinko - Another masterpiece, but this time with the vocals and production choices! Fun fun fun fun and oh yeah, fun!

Pigfarmer Jr. - What I particularly enjoyed was the sincerity of the delivery and directness of the message. The Spiked Punch was a bit obtuse to work it in but it didn't stop me from the vote.

Sunlife - Another fun one, I love the approach and the vocals, probably my favorite song this fight. I felt like I was at a live show listening to the band play things off of each other. GREAT!

Rod The Bunman - This was us. Still fun to do SF's with my buddy Tom!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

bambamoozle wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:09 pm
Pigfarmer Jr. - What I particularly enjoyed was the sincerity of the delivery and directness of the message. The Spiked Punch was a bit obtuse to work it in..
This song is a true story. My mother passed on April 22nd after a rough couple of weeks which resulted from a rough six months or so which really was the culmination of a rough two decades. (Leukemia sucks.) I agree that the title was a bit of a pry bar affair. Thanks for the vote.

bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:35 pm

This song is a true story. My mother passed on April 22nd after a rough couple of weeks which resulted from a rough six months or so which really was the culmination of a rough two decades. (Leukemia sucks.) I agree that the title was a bit of a pry bar affair. Thanks for the vote.
I am so sorry for this loss, my dad's been gone 20 years now and there isn't a day I don't miss him. Your song was a fine tribute to her and your emotions around it.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Pigfarmer Jr.-- Sorry for your loss. Beautiful song.

Liner notes for my entry before reviewing:
I was out in the garden and realized I 85% ripped off Alice's Restaurant. Great melody and chord changes, but they're not mine. Then again, Arlo probably ripped them off someone else.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

bambamoozle wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:29 am
I am so sorry for this loss, my dad's been gone 20 years now and there isn't a day I don't miss him.
It sucks. But at least my mother is no longer in pain.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm doing okay, in no small part because I've been writing songs about the whole experience since before February.

WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Ah, I didn't see any long-form reviews, so breaking the seal on that :D I've had the strangest urge for some punch lately. Huh.

Duncan Martin - Whimsical and bouncy. Good harmonies, those and the chord progressions give this an old-timey sound. The layered vox are out of sync a bit in places, if they were together it wouldn't take as much punch out of the lead vox.

Paco Del Stinko - How I've missed you Paco. Outstanding, like quiter Who on the spiked punch of which you speak. The harmonies are stellar. The guitar sounds greats, particularly where it plays alone (so brave!).

Max Bombast - Instant Primus vibe with the intro. I like the tough side of Max Bombast - very cocky! The vocal harmonies sound cool. This is the third song I've listened to and the third with harmonies - well bring them on, I'm a fan. I'm hearing a falsetto voice and I dig it, I like to do the falsetto myself. Good tune!

WreckdoM - I'm sure you might be even mildly wondering at least, but I don't know where all these pigs came from. My contribution was decidedly musically light - I was mostly responsible for arranging and putting on all the effects, herding pigs as I went, but I did manage to summon a phantom jazz bassline. Vocals for the challenge.

Yaks of the Industry - The synths are very 80's. Ah, so are the vox. I like how y'all say "you drank the spiked punch" and all the little electronic things going on throughout. Points for autotune, and more harmonies. I must admit that I don't like the long-drawn out vocal sections nearly as much as the parts with the bouncy delivery.

Cookie Blue - I like your voice. Good harmonies, guitar strong all the way through. Bonus for dual recorders.

Governing Dynamic - I admit I'm a bit partial to the average song being under 4 minutes, but this fills up the time pretty well, numerous interesting parts, a relatively slow tempo. This sounds cohesive; while my ear isn't that great when it comes to production, nothing jumps out as off-level or too dry.

Pigfarmer Jr. Your guitars always sound so good. Your vox really cut through without being too loud (what is the secret to this?). These lyrics are straight to the heart. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. This song has captured the emotion astutely.

Rod the Bunman - As in last fight, again this fight I like your voice. Nice chord progressions / passing notes. It has an old-timey feel. There is some noise in the mix, almost like a record crackle or static of an old speaker. While I think the understated guitar was the right choice for this piece, the tone is variable, clear in some places, a bit muffled in others. The solo is quite pleasing.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - All the while I was making this I kept thinking of "The Spit Sink" from Dead Milkmen. While these songs sound nothing alike, this drink is beyond a little vodka in the Kool Aid. I did vocal harmonies for the challenge too, but also have synth and guitars in unison. I did not ingest any hard drinks or psychedelics or other performance-enhancing substances for this fight, though perhaps I should have.

Lichen Throat - Interesting rhythmic theme throughout, it works. Whatever effect is on your voice in the verse makes your vox sound formidible. I am not crazy about the chorus but the bridge and verses sound cool.

Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad - Good fuzz tone on the bass. Snare is a tad loud at first when there isn't much with it but evened out when the synth fills the sound more. That synth tone is fantastic, and that guitar sound is absolutly filthy (read, awesome).

SunLite - Bouncy, happy, sunny! The music is well executed. Nice vocal delivery and good harmonies. Bonus for horns. Everything mixed well and in its place. Breakdown seems a little more detuned than rest of song. Bass solo - very grand, I like it. The chorus is catchy as heck.

Ben Crenshaw GJ - Intro has me thinking of smmoth jazz with voices in one's head. I like the high voice; the regular-range voice is a little loud/dry in comparison. Some interesting musical flourishes underneath. This could have benefitted from more of a change up somewhere, but I can't really say what or how.

Magnetic Letters - Great harmonies over sophisticated chord progressions. The backup sounds like the chord accompaniment from a 80's Casio keyboard, but much better. It just reminds me of that (and subsequently takes me waaaaay back). The conversational question of whether you can knock a man's head off with just one punch - just fantastic. I really dig this tune a lot! My ears were not ever bored, not even once.

Sweeney Toad - I love your delivery on this. It's very over the top. Lots of dirty synth tones abounding - this is a good thing. I am getting a feel for this punch - not dead or unmoving but the whole feel of the tune is fun-loving and menacing at the same time.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

WreckdoMelle wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:23 pm

Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad - ...evened out when the synth fills the sound more. That synth tone is fantastic, and that guitar sound is absolutly filthy (read, awesome).
Synth! Ha! It's all guitar. Just guitar run through my Big Muff Germanium Pi with the "volt" knob at about 12 o'clock and recorded way too hot into my USB interface.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)

Post by WreckdoMelle »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:25 am
WreckdoMelle wrote:

Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad - ...evened out when the synth fills the sound more. That synth tone is fantastic, and that guitar sound is absolutly filthy (read, awesome).
Synth! Ha! It's all guitar. Just guitar run through my Big Muff Germanium Pi with the "volt" knob at about 12 o'clock and recorded way too hot into my USB interface.
Ah, cool! Yeah, those all sounded really neat. And I am bad at tone color :D
governingdynamics
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio One 5, Sono Audient interface
Submitting as: Governing Dynamics, The Alleviators
Pronouns: he/they

Post by governingdynamics »

WreckdoMelle wrote:
Governing Dynamic - I admit I'm a bit partial to the average song being under 4 minutes, but this fills up the time pretty well, numerous interesting parts, a relatively slow tempo. This sounds cohesive; while my ear isn't that great when it comes to production, nothing jumps out as off-level or too dry.
Yeah I admit it feels a touch too long. I experimented with making the instrumental bridge shorter or cutting the first solo/interlude thing but those made everything feel slightly rushed. Damned if you don't etc.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

WreckdoMelle wrote:
Pigfarmer Jr. Your vox really cut through without being too loud (what is the secret to this?).
I've struggled with this for a long time. I use a couple of different strategies on lead vox depending on the song and time permitted. But here's my usual effect chain:

ReaTune - Manually tuning a few notes that are off pitch. Sometimes most of the notes, but usually I keep getting takes and comp together a track that's mostly on pitch.
ReqEQ - I have a preset for my voice that I'll tweak but basically can leave. It has a high pass on the very bottom, a notched cut in the low mids, a slight bump somewhere around 5k and just a bit of a bump on the very high end. I came up with this through trial and error over a few years.
TDR Compressor - I've made a preset for my vox. Typcially I try to get about 4 db of compression with a fairly soft knee at around 3:1 with a make up gain of about 4 db. The idea is to knock down the loudest bits with a light touch on the rest. Sometimes I use two compressors but typically just the one.
ReaDelay - Just a touch most of the time
Reverb - Usually Blackwater because it's free and easy to use and not that great, but... I have a couple of others (one with IR etc.,) that are better but take longer to dial in.

Bitspeak - Sometimes I'll use a touch of this.. it's like an 8bit crusher. You can get things to cut through using it. Sometimes it's too obvious. I didn't use it on this song. Sometimes I'll use distortion for the same effect and just blend it in to help cut through, not to really hear it. Again, didn't use it on this song.

Sometimes I'll eq the guitars with a dip around that 5k area so that the vocal can cut through. Sometimes I'll automate some volume on instrument tacks during the verses etc., sometimes on the vox. I also usually double the chorus vox which *can* help it seem bigger. I'll take two alternate takes of the chorus and hard pan them and add reverb. The key is to make sure they are in time. Pitch usually doesn't matter unless there's a glaring note.

I think getting the level "just right" is the thing I struggle with the most. I've found raising the fader works better than lowering it. Also, using reference tracks helps a lot when comparing levels and EQ, but I tend not to do this in my rush to get things done.

Sorry to ramble, but there it is.

WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Wow! This is gold. Thanks so much PFJ. I'm pretty new to mixing, only been doing my own stuff consistently for just over a year, so getting the vox right has been one of my major stumbling blocks. There's a lot of advice out there, and it also depends on what style the vox are (extreme vox for instance need special treatment), but for my average vox they tend to get lost in the mix or I overcompensate by making them too loud. Hearing a few tips and tricks from somebody who has a sound I like is extremely helpful. :)
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Thanks for the tips Pigfarmer Jr. A lot of online advice uses really vague language like "just a little compression, and tweak the knee to your liking" or "try feathering the EQ." That's fine, but when you include actual plugin names and values, it's a much better starting point. Much appreciated
LibraryDogs
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, vocals, mandolin, bass
Recording Method: Reaper, hacked mBox, mics, various midi implements
Submitting as: Nobody, et al.; Somebody by Himself; Somebody Named Seth; The Library Dogs
Pronouns: He

Post by LibraryDogs »

I haven't got a dog in this particular fight, but I had some time and figured why the heck not.
Apologies if I didn't do your song justice.

Ben: the different vocals kind of trample each other - maybe panning them left and right would help with that. You have a lot of low mids going on. It could use some EQ. The lyrics speak to me as somebody who has drunk a business lunch or two before so thanks for that :D

Brown: Tons of attitude as usual. I like how the rhythm goes from a swagger to a run and back. Bass wah ftw.

Cookie: Kind of an Irish drinking song feel, which is a compliment in my book. And as the flutes/whistles come in I realize that's exactly what you were going for haha. The harmonies have spots where they're really solid. In fact the harmony vocal could probably be louder.

Duncan: Nice take on the prompt, the lyrics are clever. The vocals could use to be a little tighter with each other, sometimes your lyrics get lost a bit.

Gov: Nice contrast between the fuzz guitar and the clean, but the fuzz one is too prominent I think. Or I'm getting too old. Something about the chord progression reminds of Counting Crows, which is intended as a high compliment.

Lichen: You come up with a lot of really good strange instrumental hooks. Clever take on the prompt.

Magnetic: Impressive. There's a ton going on here but it doesn't feel like it. The Paul Simon harmonies are great, the bass is nice and busy, the rhythm is kind of a techno caribbean high life.

Max: I was pretty sure I was going to like this with the first bass riff. I wasn't wrong. Sweet enough so you can't taste the poison going down. Flavors of Kings X and Primus. Tight AF. Well done.

Paco: Why yes, the punch is spiked. But what did we spike it with? hee hee. Classical guitar is a nice touch.

Phleb: I can see this as a low fi soundtrack to a re-imagined version of Mike Tyson's Punch Out! The groove needs to be a bit tighter.

Pigfarmer: A touching and sad song. I feel like it would have been better without the prompt tbh. It kind of got in the way of your song.

Rod: She was the spiked punch I couldn't taste. I like it. Laid back arrangement, but sometimes you want a shaker instead of a drum kit, I get it. The guitar bit at the end didn't really go anywhere, but overall I liked this.

Sub: oh man I haven't heard ska in forever. Nice and phrenetically bouncy. Well done

Sweeney: Kind of chaotic and random, and I'm not coming up with anything clever to say.

Wreck: Deliciously random. I lol'd at the pigs.

Yaks: Makes me want to try some ping-pong delay on my vocals except I'd do a really bad job of it whereas you guys pretty much nailed euphoric synth pop.
“We may be in the Universe as dogs and cats are in our libraries, seeing the books and hearing the conversation, but having no inkling of the meaning of it all.”
― William James
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments with beer and some hoobage. Please ask for clarification if needed. Kiss!

Ben Crenshaw GJ
- I like what this tries to be, mood-wise, all late night loungey. Good seed for something a lot more developed. It actually
has occasional Stones vibes from the Emotional Rescue era, but nowhere near as good. Too long, as is.

Brown Word and the Big Whine
- Nasty heavy rubber band riff. Be great at a crushing volume, though I couldn't actaully handle that. Way loose, works well as a collage with th\e varied, if occasionally disjointed, sections. La-la section rivals the great riff.

Cookie Blue
- This is very nice. I enjoy the melody and the confident guitar offers just enough bittersweet as well. Nothing to do to this but tighten it up, without losing the honest feel of it. Unless you can give it a Pogues-go-round. I like this a lot.

Duncan Martin
- This could be on the Easy Rider soundtrack. It's loose but my, that's some good, easy going fun. Bit mumbly vocals, but who cares. Low lights, corduroy couch, red wine and a couple of tokes...there you are. Don't need that stuff, just sayin'.

Governing Dynamics - I like the structure here, chords and layers, but it doesn't quite do what it wants to do. The vocal needs to be driven around the block a few times, and the dynamics are iffy, but there's some good new-wavy feel here that I dig a lot. This is a solid song idea, it's just way under cooked. Back in the oven...mmm! Very tasty!

Lichen Throat - Super riff intro. I think the bagpipe dirge feel to the verses is great. The key changes are unexpected and pleasant upon arrival. I like the vocal processing here, which finds and loses its way rhythmically. New wave Jethro Tull, this would rock if acoustic/organic.

The Magnetic Letters
- More Flansburgh than Linell, very JB. The pro-gamming/playing is nuts here. Either approach involves a lot of work and skill. I could dance to this, and I can't dance very well. Hit: no. Great track coming over the radio in Lawrence: oh yeah.

Max Bombast - Heh. I can hear the bass and guitar reversing riff roles, but they're great as is. Driving more than heavy, I always enjoy your voice and vocals, they are trademark here, and very tasty, but I'd love to hear something scarier. But really, so good hooky, brain tickling. Soundtrack worthy.

Paco del Stinko
- Back voices are three-part, each doubled. That's my old Martin 00-16C. 1966 baby! Same as me! Sloppy. There's a very quiet keyboard debut in there as well.

Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad
- Nice sludgy-fudgy bass riff. Overdriven vocals work great over that nasty, but totally right snare. This is snarly gnarly good, very much enjoying. Good combo, this, keep at it, fellas. Double time section could have giganticer guitars/keys.

Pigfarmer Jr - Honest and well done, the real deal.

Rod The Bunman - I enjoy this very much, where and how it goes. The bridge is the weakest part of this, save for maybe whittling something like 12 seconds off near the end of the entire song. I don't know where, but a litle snip. The guitar and vocal are each well done, and feel genuine. Simple color accents could be added at the right moments, without building the track up too much. It doesn't need a full band or slick production, but a couple of nudges would make this even more sweet.

SunLite - Very Britishy ska, I'm on it. Tight, mostly. I could listen to this a ton, and would love to play in a band doing this, if I were good enough. This would be my one vote in the days when you could only vote once. Canned drums could go, but are programmed well. It's not perfect, but it's superb. Thanks.

Sweeney Toad - Ha ha! Fuckin' trippin'. I only want to hear this for as long as it's on, but it totally plows whatever else could be there, completely out of the way. I love this, just wouldn't want to hear it all the time. Which makes it even better when it would reappear. A fave.

WreckdoM - Icelandic whale porn. But in a pleasant, soft technicolor. Smooth and velvety ticklin' good. Jizz jazz, thank you.

Yaks of the Industry
- Wow, total todays world disco club. Heady and colorful, this is great. I could cork sniff at music like this, if i were a sniffer, but this is wonderful. This is an honest to golly great team here. Should win just because. Hooks, colors...
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Ben Crenshaw GJ
Too messy for my taste.

Brown Word
That blippy plippy drum fill is rad. This is like Wreckdom crossed with Tune Yards crossed with Be My Frankenstein.

Cookie Blue
Nice placement of vox over the guitar. Good drop-in of harmony notes on the vocals too. Wishing for 20% more visceral lyrics to make them super memorable. I like the whistle thing. Well-faded out.

Duncan Martin
Nicely crafted. Looking forward to hearing you on Prairie Home Companion.

Governing Dynamics
Never been a fan of the vocals-sound-like-you-just-woke-up-a-minute-ago style. I'd wish for some more planning on the guitar parts. Goes through the sections, but I don't feel a lotta building and releasing and such. Drums definitely don't hit hard enough for this style.

lichen throat
I'm enjoying the instrumental. Oh hey the vocals are rhythmically matching the instrumentation! Mostly. A few times the discipline slipped and the prosody suffered. Better but I'm still not inclined to listen more than once.

Magnetic Letters
Daaaaaayamn. This is hella fun.

Max Bombast
I dig the bass tone. I mean, gross, but catchy. The rapping... hmm. In my 7506's the vox are maybe a touch buried on the chorus but whatever.

Paco!
Kinda had me swaying in my chair. I liked it.

Phlebia + Sweeney
Need more stuff going on for my taste. Maybe that bass should be further front or something. The rapping... hmm.

Pigfarmer Jr
Oof. My condolences. This is a lovely song. I hope for your sake, and for all our sakes at one point or another, that songwriting helps.

Rod the Bun Man
Sorry man, I got distracted while this song played and can't remember it really. Didn't offend me. Reminds me a little of Ron Sexsmith. Who I love. But don't take that too much to heart. :)

Sunlite
Dude those horns better fucking come back in at some point. Ok there they are again, phew. I like the horns. What is this like, 2nd wave, Specials kinda right? Catchy chorus. Would like some catchier lyrics on the verses but whatever. This is pretty great.

Sweeney Toad
I was never a big Ween fan. This makes me remember why.

Wreckdom
WTF is happening. This is chill. Oh ok there's some Wreckdom vocals. Do you record these before you record any of the music? I... I think I'm going crazy. Did I tell Alexa to play Portishead in one room and Zappa in another and now I'm in the bathroom TCB and what is going onnnnnnnnn

Yaks
This is me and Ken and Mo and Lunkhead and Futureboy.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Ben Crenshaw GJ - If there’s one thing that I can criticize about this song it’s that it’s incredibly repetitive. This song really deserved to be about 1:50 or so but it’s nearly double that even though it never really introduces anything new to say. That said, it’s fun in its straightforward simplicity until I get kind of bored with it.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - The trap influence in the drums here is something new for you and I’m kind of loving it. As usual, this is an energetic romp through a bunch of sections that are connected in tempo and attitude, if not sound. I was particularly fond of the LALALALALALALA bit. I listened to this on my bluetooth speaker while going to the bathroom and it was the best bathroom break ever.

Cookie Blue - A good tale of self-medicating through alcohol. Like Ben Crenshaw’s tune, my biggest complaint with this song is that it’s longer than it needs to be, which is weird to say about a tune that’s not even 3 minutes long. The pan-flute or whatever solo could probably have come in after the previous chorus and guided the song towards its conclusion sooner. That said, I did enjoy it.

Duncan - This tune had a nice bounce to it, and was a bit lighthearted. This is a good song for an outdoor pub. I would listen to this tune in flip flops. Very comfy flip flops. The harmonica was a nice touch.

Governing Dynamics - Something about this song sounds like “adult alternative circa 2000” and I can’t place exactly what it is. I liked the ascending riff and the extended instrumental break, that was great. There’s a degree of muddiness in the bass and some of the guitar parts sound a little sloppy, which is usually something I do I can’t complain. Like last week, this is a song that’s really good and could use a bit more work getting the execution down. I’m feeling it.

Lichen Throat - Your one-note delivery during the verses (or A section or whatever) works really well, and is probably the most on-pitch I’ve heard your delivery, even though I know it’s limited. That’s not supposed to be a backhanded compliment. I like your choice of snare drum during the break, it’s got a nice thwack, I like thwack snares! Lyrics are good cause seriously, you nail suburban paranoia so well!

Magnetic Letters - This is by far my favorite of the fight and the melodica really makes it. Everything about the delivery, attitude, and execution makes me undeniably happy and I will add this to my list of SongFight tracks I actually listen to it my free time.

Max Bombast - Are you aware that your verse bassline is just the bassline from Korn’s Falling Away From Me in a slightly different key? If so, good style reference. If not, well it is. Anyway, as someone who’s still all about this sound completely unironically (seriously my Spotify 2020 most listened album was hedPE’s debut from 1996), I’m digging this, even down to the switch from the rappy jumpdafuckup bit to the more straightforward alternative chorus and bridge. Serious style points for landing in one of my favorite genres.

Paco del Stinko - A classic tale of psychedelic bewilderment! And compositionally one of the most involved pieces of the fight -- and one of my top Paco songs. I enjoyed how this progressed and like Magnetic Letters it’s a track that I find hard to criticize because it’s just solid pretty much the whole way through.

Phlebia + Sweeney Toad - This is me. And Sweeney Toad. I've done better songs. But this was fun!

Pigfarmer Jr. - Sorry for your loss. This one obviously comes from the heart and it comes through both in the performance and lyrics. Sure, there was a line or two where some pitch correction was obvious but is that really so bad? Poignant and well done.

Rod the Bunman - A tale of a woman who used you so well and did little in return. Not a bad number, but drags on a bit by the end? Maybe the vocal performance could be just a little bit more confident or it could be a little bit shorter, or maybe just a little bit faster? I don’t know what it’s missing, so maybe this review isn’t useful at all. Like I said, not *bad* but didn’t stick with me.

SunLite - I’m feeling this ska, though like the last song I wish it was a little bit faster! And had more of a skank to it! But still an enjoyable number with a catchy chorus that I enjoyed listening to. Basically my main gripe is that there wasn’t as much energy as I like in my ska! But then again I’m not much of a ska person anyway so take that with a grain of salt.

Sweeney Toad - ARE YOU REALLY DEAD OR ARE YOU JUST THINKING YOU’RE DEAD I DON”T KNOW.

WreckdoM - This is the worst slow jam I’ve ever heard. That warbly thing makes me think of the baby from Ginuwine’s Pony but instead of a baby it’s just a warbly thing. What’d you spike this punch with, Robitussin?

Yaks of the Industry - Why are you yaks? You’re nailing this synthpop vibe. Fluffy’s been talking about doing a Stepmania pack of songfight artists and this would be a good candidate for it. I might say there’s a little bit more delay on the vocals that there should be but that’s a minor quibble. Well produced and done, while it’s not my favorite of the fight that’s just a matter of stylistic preference cause this is a solid entry.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Y u not Yaks?