Don't be sad I tore you a new one (Tearing Up reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
pauley g
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: percussion, piano/synth/programmer, some guitar
Recording Method: mac, logic 10, apogee duet, Arturia and Roland hardware, various plugins, hate.
Submitting as: My Social Uniform
Pronouns: him

Re: Don't be sad I tore you a new one (Tearing Up reviews)

Post by pauley g »

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year everybody! Almost all songs downtempo, I find that interesting.

Dave Stiles and The Breakthroughs - Well produced and recorded, it sounds really good. What would happen if you increased BPM by 10 or so? It has a nice groove as is but I wonder if it would be catchier with a little brisker pace? Vocals/harmonies are well performed but sometimes I lose them in the guitar riff, almost like they're not quite loud enough in spots. Lyric is clever and the chorus is pretty catchy but it just doesn't hold my attention all the way through.

The Pannacotta Army - Definitely experimental in chord structure, I like how the melody carves itself a ledge in the progression. At times it seems the guitar tremolo is out of sync with tempo. It's just me, I desperately need everything to lock in and find it too distracting if it doesn't. Arrangement is interesting and appropriate for the vibe you're building, well voiced, it builds nicely and it feels very natural as you add and take away instrumentation. Another quality submission.

Duncan Martin - the lyric is the star here, I was interested in where it was going! Nice melody and chord structure and all parts are performed well. I like what you did to double the lead vocal in the chorus across the stereo field, BGV are supporting nicely when they pop in, not distracting and dreamy. I feel like the instrumental break at 2:49 doesn't need to be there or maybe you could shorten it? I get that sometimes we need a break heading to the finish but feels a bit long. This is a good song with a good lyric/melody/concept but there isn't enough contrast between sections, I would like to hear the music reflect more of the story arc, the lyrics deserve it. The sax at the outro sounds amazing!

King Arthur - love the horn parts! This thing is pretty tight, I hear some Rob Thomas influence and that's not a slam. Catchy chorus hook and arrangement is tasty. In my phones I think there's some distortion in the low end, is that intentional? I can't say it's bad or distracting more a curiosity than anything. This is another song that I want more variation between verse / chorus. It's a good song right now but with a little more transitional work and arrangement polishing, this could be great.

Third Cat - intro is cool, builds up and pulls me in as the percussion slowly rolls up, really develops a mood. Also, nice work with the vocal effects, I really like the delays and how thin they get. I'm really enjoying this song. The distort guitar at 1:51 is like candy and the outro builds on the mood set in the intro. Nice work! very much enjoy the way the arrangement tells the story with the lyric!

toby roktot - Is this a song based on actual events? I think the sparse arrangement and harmonica suite the subject matter pretty well. I enjoy the lyric and like the guitar dynamics throughout. Your melody at times (chorus) feels like it's just meandering and I think it could benefit from reworking a bit to make it more catchy? And though I like the guitar lines, maybe try doubling them to fill out a bit? You would run the risk of upsetting the balance of the other instrumentation though.

Pigfarmer Jr. - melody and chord changes are very satisfying and well performed. Lyric is cool (The world doesn't need another whiskey song is a great great line). It pulls me in. I love the way the song builds as it rolls forward, backs off a bit, then races to the end. Guitar solo feels very natural but maybe you could dice up the backing instruments there a bit to make it stand out better and build even more to the last chorus? I like this one a lot as is though.

My Social Uniform - Mine. Yes, it's a midi guitar. I had a mind to record it with an actual guitar but I liked the robotics of it, in hindsight probably not one of my better choices. This was the hardest song for me to write. I didn't want to write it but it just came out. I lost my brother-in-law last November and I found out about his passing before my wife did. I was the one who had to tell her and this is about that specific experience. Turns out that was something that was haunting me and I didn't want to face and by writing about it, I was able to put that baggage down for a bit. The power of music.

John Vader Four - I love that you got right to it! synths add a nice spooky texture to an otherwise sweet love song. Really not enough here, I think you could have given us another section of something. Overall, pretty well done, I just don't know if I'll remember it for very long, I need something in it that makes it stand out more.

The Mellfire Trifecta - Nice thick and dreamy arrangement. Seems to fall apart at times though. I like where you're heading with the syncopation but it really really needs to be directly in the pocket or it loses it's effectiveness and I'm speaking from experience! Nice vocal and harmonies singing well written lyrics. If you could tighten it up a bit and add some variations to the drum track, I think you have something.

Phlub - Found the groove right away and rocked with it. I'm usually not into atonal, but this grooves nicely and I like the smattering of vocal effects. Synths are super crunchy and satisfying. You can check the optional challenge box, brother. Well done.

Lichen Throat - The lyric requires more anger in your singing style I think! I like what you're trying to say but I don't believe you mean it! I like the arrangement and how it moves along and drops out, there's good interest there. I just want to hear you yell this vocal out though!

The Gross Tones - Guitar work and layers are impressive. Another great lyric and well-delivered vocally. I can't find anything I would really change...you could have the second guitar solo done with a different tone than the first? I'm just grasping. Almost feels seventies throwback and I kinda dig it.

Night Sky - Okay, reggae sweetness. For whatever reason, reminds me of Oingo Boingo but I don't think I can tell you why. I found myself nodding my head to the sweet rhythms. I can't say that I love the lyric, I don't connect with it but that doesn't mean I don't connect with the song as a whole. The drop is sweet but the distorted vocal stabs felt a little harsh in the vibe you had established. I would be tempted to slather them with some reverb or EQ the beejesus out of them to make them less over-the-top.

Rone Rivendale - I need the vocal to deliver a more defined melody or turn it into a rap. You're kind of in between on this one. I enjoy the arrangement but I can't get past the non-committal melody! Not a bad try though and I get that we all were dealing with the experimental prompt as well. Quick and nasty and there's something to be said about that, not bad!

Nice fight everybody. I enjoyed all of the submissions!
"You're like the SongFight Weeknd" - Sleepysilverdoor
Check out My Social Uniform on all digital platforms...
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Don't be sad I tore you a new one (Tearing Up reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Dave Stiles and The Breakthroughs win.