Look at the great comments (Not That You Even Tried reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Look at the great comments (Not That You Even Tried reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Thanks in advance for the reviews...
Last edited by Lunkhead on Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unstick
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Look at the great comments (Not That You Even Tried reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please place your lyric in the proper thread which is probably located near here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12304
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Not That You Even Tried
(In order of appearance)

James Owens - Very Clint Eastwood western music stuff….I love this.
You have such a wonderful-to-listen-to voice. Not to mention the lyrics. Damn, so on point and as contemporary as Boomtown Rats ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’…. (back in the day). The rest of the lineup better bring it to beat this!! VOTE….without even listening to the rest, yet.

Berkeley Social Scene - I liked the song from the get-go. And then, kinda just zoned out until the 2:20 mark…the drums zapped me back and all the sudden the whole song just…worked. Another fine song from ‘the boys’.
(ps: y’all must have about a hundred albums by now…pretty sure all good stuff)

The Pannacotta Army - Wow, another great song. This reminds me of the duo Chad and Jeremy from about a hundred years ago. I really like that sound. The break and the little instrumental deal afterward really worked for me. Love it !!
The lyrics are smooth and flowing and the whole song just works with the title this week. Great job……(James may be in trouble). VOTE !!

Toby Roktot - Ok, remember I said I was going to have to use less ‘s’ words ….well, I forgot.
Seriously, I’ve tried two of the buffer thingy’s in front of the mic and did the ‘de-essing’
on the mix down. Maybe less high end….(I could use a little help here)….
Listening to my last album (a live show) didn’t seem to have this problem but, I can’t send every song to Adam Ayan for mastering. Costs too much…soooo, maybe some free advice for the old punk?

WreckdoM - This song has so much to digest. Mostly, good stuff. Keeps me engaged in the lyrics. But, (always a but) maybe about a minute or so shorter would be better….sayin

Paco del Stinko - If I still had a band going, I would definitely ask you to play lead guitar. There’s really nothing adverse to comment on this song. The guitar is stellar and your vocals are too cool….even with, you know, my tin ear and lack of musical knowledge, notwithstanding.

The Gross Tones - OH…Pink Floyd intro…”we don’t need no education”…
And the Floyd continues… vocals are really cool….and, the lyrics make me giggle…no laugh….no, cry !!! This is ‘Americana’….. Are you pulling a pop-up camper going to the annual family camp-out ? I feel your pain …
Initially, the 5:14 made me cringe … but, before I knew it, the song was finished…and I wanted …well, more. I really liked this and good on you for the imagination to make it. VOTE!!

Gil Sans - To me, this is the kind of song that you listen to and enjoy without really listening….Then something in the lyrics pops into your fore-thoughts and brings you back. Yep, that’s what this does for me. I could listen-not-listen to this all day and enjoy it. Nice!!

The Magnetic Letters - Wow…Such an imaginative lyric…(nice play on the title) The song really grabs you and makes you pay attention .. and, ‘no soup for you’ keeps going through my brain.
Could you make an exception just this once? Ya know, soup in a cup and all that…works in the micro….. I really like this. You guys are so damn cool. Vote !!

Well, every damn song is better than mine….as always. But, I’m a gonna wear you guys down with quantity.
Cya,
Tob
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Berkeley Social Scene: The vocals are a bit muffled and hard to make out. The scan of the lyrics is forced, but so consistently that it feels like it's on purpose. The song is brisk and energetic, with a very economical arrangement: gritty rhythm guitar and bass pattern and steady drums, with some sprinkled guitar arpeggios and leads, and a bit of vocal harmony. It has a solid sound, good to listen to, but nothing about it jumps out.

Gil Sans: The overall sound sometimes puts me in mind of Bob Dylan, maybe because of the organ and the aggressive, rhythmically loose vocal delivery. Constantly shifting chords in a pop sensibility give the song brightness, originality, and momentum. It has an exciting vibe. The end comes sooner than expected.

The Gross Tones: The bratty kids get tiresome. . . A mellow, laid-back tune with a slightly humourous message that seems overplayed, but the world-weary singing adds personality. Musically, the shift to the minor chord perks things up.

James Owens: I had help in my new East Coast home, from Leon on rhythm guitar and Mark on wailing distorted guitar. The song went up under "James Owens" because the only other name I thought of for a proposed Halifax-Dartmouth collective seemed less than perfect. The "big guitar" is a nod to the somewhat Texan theme, but the bit after the second chorus feels <i>de trop</i>. Maybe I should have used something else to fill in the pause before the final verse. As for the out-of-place smooth-jazz ending, it just happened.

The Magnetic Letters: Funky bass, synthesized brass, sweet singing, and skipping rhythm patterns bring out the playful words. The song flows naturally in a happy stream-of-consciousness way. Great brass riffs.

Paco del Stinko: Defying standard patterns with chromatic moves, infused with edge and energy, and delivered with slightly mad vocals, this has the classic PdS touch. Some of your entries are more musically appealing, others are more intricate, but all of them break away from the expected.

The Pannacotta Army: Gentle and pleasant, with hints of tension. The steady plumping of the rhythm section, the casual decorations of the electric piano and the tremolo guitar, the brisk strokes and soft explosions of the strummed chords, create a warm, inviting texture, with lively and natural song changes.

toby roktot: Well-recorded guitar and rich reverberations give the song a rich lustre. The fingerpicking has an elegant quality, intimate with a strong yet lilting rhythm ; the hard guitar playing borders on frenetic, and sometimes stands out a little too much. You have a naturally mournful voice that reminds me a little of Anne Murray or Jesse Winchester; a similar wistful resonance haunts your tone.

WreckdoM: Montage is an art and you do it well, with nicely curated clips in effective juxtapositions. In this case, some of the spoken leads lack the distant "found" quality that usually adds mystery and depth to collages, while also lacking the crazy conviction of a fully present, in-your-face narrator. Other spoken contributions in the piece have that conviction.
The Gross Tones
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar/Piano
Recording Method: Tascam 2488/DP32 - Reaper and Studio One
Submitting as: The Gross Tones
Pronouns: they/them

Post by The Gross Tones »

Not That You Even Tried Review

Pannacottaarmy: I like this Song! The melody is catchy and vocals are great. Parts remind me of the Beatles. Great Effort!

WreckdoM: Good stuff in here. Fun listen.

Pacodelstinko:Guitars sound stellar, always a listening journey with Paco!

The Magnetic Letters: Wow! Such creative lyrics. Microwave pie?!!

JamesOwens: A Great listen. Love the guitar reverb. Very pleasant singing. Great job!

Gilsans: A catchy melody, fun listen!

Berkley Social Scene: Love the guitar and progression!

Tobyroktot: I feel like I'm in the front row in a small comfortable venue and I have in my mind what you look like, a young Dylan type with large thick glasses?!
Hahaha nice work on the song.

The Gross Tones: Always my worst critic I feel I achieved my goals (upbeat, fun, good drums, interesting progressions, and vocals that are understandable) but some things could be improved with more Time invested! Usually song length matters to me, but this just felt right and unhurried. When recording the scratch track, I refused to look at the recorded time while recording because it can throw the performance when I realize it's too Friggin' long! Anyhow it's great to be among amazing song folks and nice that the boards seem friendly-some years ago I said I would never come back after some nasty, harsh reviews. Keep up the Great work people! -Joey
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Here are some brief comments not very thought out. Decent fight with a few tunes stronger than the rest. Nothing very p-yew here, really.

Berkeley Social Scene - Meat and potatoes, still tasty. Lush backing vocals on the easy chorus would elevate much, though the hooks are pleasant enough. It takes a gentle hold of you then lest you go.

Gil Sans - Hooky good indie rock that has a hidden strands of Neil Young or someone similar in there. Chewy enough but not too tough, great organic and live feel moves it along in a don't want it to end direction, but I like the stop where it is. Leaves a better after-vibe. Total dig it!

The Gross Tones - I like the near stony vibe here, even though it's quite one-off feeling. Late night or down in the basement easy jam. I like the kids thing as an intro, not so much when it pops up here and there. Nice and simple, could embellish as desired if cared to. Too many nuggets perhaps.

James Owens - I'm sorry this has to be the theme here, but it's handled very well. The melodies are balanced and appropriate. Always love Spaghetti guitar, perfect place for it here. I'm actually a bit emotional listening. I like this very much, and would love to hear a more angry or full throttled take on this as well, to express the other side of the feelings this brings up. I just wish this was a made up ballad about a cowboy or something.

The Magnetic Letters - The lyrics, yeah, I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow. Hope it's as tasty as the pleasant melodies here, complex at times but still accessible. Squeeze does Zappa. Clean and lean production, everything sounds good and is well played. Nice, rare at SF! fadeout. I totally dig that open this one. Good, slightly weird tune that kinda says hello and walks on by.

Paco del Stinko - This is about all of us, I guess, or is supposed to be. Talk and no action. I could've have played the simple rock bass line all night, goony fun.

The Pannacotta Army - Lovely and warm embracing pop tune. not overly sweet anywhere. Lyrics suggest something darker than the mood might present, but not dramatically contrasting. Nice layers and open bits, very well arranged, and the keyboard helps the sun feel comfy and not too warm. Probably a win but J.O.'s song a strong mover on the other side of the emotions scale. Very, very nice.

toby roktot - I like the lyrics and theme, comes around nicely and sells the title line hook just right. Good melodies, but the mood sset here is the winner, bittersweet enough without getting mushy or anything. Just missing coffee house claps at the end. (Not fake, please) I don't know that I'd want to hear this with a band, it might rub off some of the personal feelings here. Very nicely done, sir.

WreckdoM - ClubdoM. Free-form rubbery goodness. The lead vocal gets droney/muttery, but the other vocals come in on an occasional trapeze to splash some light. Nice piano breakdown section, it really turns the mood more serious for a bit. A bit random at times, the looseness is still very fun. Plastic dinosaur figures biting each others necks.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Thanks for the comments, peoples. I've been negligent with mine the past couple of fights, hoping to be back on track. Always appreciated whether good, bad, indifferent.

James Owens: My girlfriend and I got back a few days ago from a road trip to Halifax via New Brunswick. We spent three nights in Halifax, loved it, and were not happy to return to the U.S. When I saw your comments about Dartmouth and Halifax, I had to laugh at the timing. On our way up in the car she asked if there were any SongFighters! up there and I said, nah, not over here. Toronto, out west, occasional Montreal folks, I believe. I think maaaybe a Nova Scotia resident...a long time ago? Anyway, would have loved to suggest a cup of coffee or a pint while there, just because. Maybe next time! Cheers!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:05 pm
Thanks for the comments, peoples. I've been negligent with mine the past couple of fights, hoping to be back on track. Always appreciated

James Owens: My girlfriend and I got back a few days ago from a road trip to Halifax via New Brunswick. We spent three nights in Halifax, loved it, and were not happy to return to the U.S. When I saw your comments about Dartmouth and Halifax, I had to laugh at the timing. On our way up in the car she asked if there were any SongFighters! up there and I said, nah, not over here. Toronto, out west, occasional Montreal folks, I believe. I think maaaybe a Nova Scotia resident...a long time ago? Anyway, would have loved to suggest a cup of coffee or a pint while there, just because. Maybe next time! Cheers!
I would have liked that. Heck, we could have jammed! I you're ever in town again, please let me know. (FWIW, until a couple of years ago I used to SongFight from Ottawa.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Gross Tones win!
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Yea !!!!
Congrats your Grossness !!
Cya,
Toby