Matter is pulled by gravity until there is... (Material Change reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Re: Matter is pulled by gravity until there is... (Material Change reviews)

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

PCA wrote:I’d have preferred the guitar a little cleaner/sharper so it’s not fighting so much with the clavichord.
When I was recording tracks and mixing, I said "Oh. listen how they kind of blend together. Neat!" I totally hear what you're saying, though, and agree that that would clear things up in a good way. Next time!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
danielsabsay
A New Player
Instruments: Piano
Recording Method: FL Studio + small audio/MIDI interface
Submitting as: Watching Owls
Pronouns: he/him

Post by danielsabsay »

Andy Balham: I think that synth sound blends well with the guitars. Mix-wise, I think guitars were up too loud. The lyrics work well. The melody is less convincing.

Berkeley Social Scene: I enjoyed the chorus a lot! Great, easy-going feeling. I didn't like the verses/hooks. Rhythmically, they felt forced. Maybe too much on the beat? Sorry I don't have a better suggestion.

Brainpipe: Ha! I love this take on the theme. Water, an agent of change, indeed. Did you record the narration? It sounds like a pro documentary :-) The instruments are pretty cool and mesh well together.

Hot Pink Halo: Cool vibe! Reminds me a bit of Beach House. The vocals get a bit lost amid the backing vocals and instruments, which makes it hard to catch all the words. I read them on the forum and they're very intriguing. I'd love to know what you were thinking when you wrote them. The song form works well, nothing felt jarring. Nice job.

The John Benjamin Band: Oh yes! Awesome arp intro and love those searing synth leads. Vocal delivery is really strong. The song form, lyrics, and development all work really well. It's a solid song.

The Pannacotta Army: This is definitely dance-able! I like the backup vocals on the second verse. Sounds like a bygone rock era, in a good way :) I would definitely listen to this song again, so it's a great success in my book! My only nitpick is that synth... I think cheesy works here, but maybe this one is a touch too cheesy for me :)

Phlub: Cool non-Western thing going on. Not sure I can pin it correctly. Some of the scale tones give it a Middle Eastern flair. The drums sound like the could be inspired by a few different places. I had trouble paying attention the lyrics because everything else was so, well, up in my ear drums.

Pigfarmer Jr: Wow this sounds amazing... Quite a shock to me after your guy-and-guitar last time. I'm quite impressed. Everything about this works really well. Another one I would definitely listen to again.

Ratbaffle!: Nice groove! Love the vocals. The repeated "material change" line seems little weak compared to everything else, though. Maybe it just sounds weak because of the mix. In general, mix is too bass-heavy.

Sockpuppet: Woah! The intro faked me out. I was expecting something much harder based on that first synth. Then all of a sudden I felt like I was starting up a Nintendo game... and then I was very clearly not :-)
I like the chromaticism in the chorus. It's unexpected but also nice :) The song works well and is unique in many ways. Nice work!

Watching Owls: When I listened later, I was dismayed at the vocals in the intro/outro. I shouldn't be surprised: I wrote/recorded those melodies with less than 30mins 'til the deadline. I need more practice before recoding, as many of you noticed :) I really like the rest of the song, but feel it needs a better/different intro.
danielsabsay
A New Player
Instruments: Piano
Recording Method: FL Studio + small audio/MIDI interface
Submitting as: Watching Owls

Post by danielsabsay »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:24 am
Watching Owls: This sounds like Radiohead. Not in a bad way, but it sounds like Radiohead. It’s your falsetto, the arrangement, the gorgeous-but-morose aspect of the arrangement, the creativeness behind all of the layering, all that good stuff. I have zero idea how this song connects to the title. Nothing about this makes me think of material change, nor does it remotely fulfill the optional challenge.. It’s a good song. I like it. But I can’t relate it to the fight at all.
Thanks for the review! Put in few words, the song is about being unsatisfied with <some aspect of life>, desiring change strongly, but also being apprehensive about said change. Some tinges of impatience, how talking about change can be a waste of energy...
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

danielsabsay wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:19 pm

Phlub: Cool non-Western thing going on. Not sure I can pin it correctly. Some of the scale tones give it a Middle Eastern flair. The drums sound like the could be inspired by a few different places. I had trouble paying attention the lyrics because everything else was so, well, up in my ear drums.
Somewhere between Syria and Saturn.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

danielsabsay wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:19 pm
Brainpipe: Ha! I love this take on the theme. Water, an agent of change, indeed. Did you record the narration? It sounds like a pro documentary :-) The instruments are pretty cool and mesh well together.
No, this is the real thing, the best 1941 had to offer: https://archive.org/details/TestTube1941
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The JBB wins!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Congrats, JBB, a well deserved win.
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas