But then I changed it back (You Changed My Mind reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

But then I changed it back (You Changed My Mind reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Post your reviews of the fight in this thread, thanks.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: But then I changed it back (You Changed My Mind reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Lyrics can be posted/found here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12361
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

Guess I'll get the party started on reviews.

Gil Sans

I love the opening line. This sounds like a Matthew Sweet song. Some interesting chord changes. "Mirrored bathroom throws me into infinity" nice. Can't hear the solo. Too bad there isn't a Robert Quine to play on this. Feels like 8 bars of wasted space. Otherwise a good song.

B+

Yaks of the Industry

Ooooh, nice opening chords. Love the chromatic stepdowns. "My life was a record at the end of the groove" really nice chorus, gives me shivers a little. Since I like this song so much I'm going to grade on a tougher curve. If you're going to have 16 bars of a keyboard solo, the performance needs to be cleaner and build to a point. The melody and vocal performance on the verse is lacking -- I think there is something more interesting there. Still a great song.

A-

Paco del Stinko

Well produced with nice changes and good drumming. The keyboard countermelody makes it for me. It feels a little too long though.

B

Mx Logan Posthumous

Some interesting sonic elements here, like the arpeggios and wide-panned drums. Starts to meander a bit after a minute, then stops.

C

Fire Bear

Chunky. Sounds like a cross between DCFC and Dismemberment Plan. Nice drumming tempo switch on the chorus, give it a nice emphasis. Weird that the instrumentation drops in the middle of verse two, maybe try that at the beginning of the verse? Overall nice performance and knows when to end.

B

Bouffeur de Cul

Congratulations on getting me to google that. Lol, a song about neoliberals. Is this Johny Cashpoint? Yeah it is. Good to hear from you. Ha a Casio bossa beat. This was amusing.

C+

FL+J~

A quick bossa about menu anxiety. Something to do on a Sunday evening.

shrts

Strong opening. Another good drum performance. There's been a lot in this fight. And then that's it. 30 secs of pop punk fun and you're out, well done.

B+

Gray

This is one of those songs that make Sonfight fun. It's like Billy Joe Shaver discovering a mellotron. I see you went major-minor in the chorus too, something about changing your mind that does that. The sparse solo works. This song could be helped with some better drum programing and fills.

B
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
Gray
A New Player
Instruments: Assorted... mostly keys these days.
Recording Method: FLStudio
Submitting as: Gray

Post by Gray »

Here are my reactions to the songs on listening to them.

Gil Sans - That opening sound is great. Overall the whole thing has a kind of 'cacophony of sound' feel to it (not in a bad way). The vocals seem a little overshadowed.

Bouffeur De Cul - The lead synth at the beginning puts me in panic mode just a little bit (it makes me think of a sound old computers used to make when things went terribly wrong and you just lost hours worth of work). "You changed my mind by being mindless".... I like that. I also like the end of this (pong!), except I didn't enjoy the slowed down voice there.

Paco del Stinko - I like the intro on this. When you transition to the 'you changed my mind' part - the accompaniment seems almost too 'happy' for what's going on in the vocal. The break around 2:00 is pleasant. I like the way this transitions between the different sections which all have distinct flavor.

FireBear - Overall this is well put together. I like the background vocal in chorus. It seems like it ends somewhat abruptly.

Yaks of the Industry - Great mix on this one. The bass sits nice and the keys sound good. Good song overall -- nice work!

FL+J - I applaud your efforts on the bossa nova front. The timing on the vocals could be better (but it's probably better than I would have done). Short and sweet, I enjoyed listening to it!

shrts - I like the chorus to this but instead of going into a burn-down-the-house guitar solo it just ends.

Gray (me) - I tried a number of different intros on this one ended up going with the one that I disliked the least...

Mx. Logan Posthumous - The instrumentation is a little too disjointed for me on this. The doubled vocals effect going on here is somewhat distracting. "there's no tomorrow until tomorrow" - I like that line.

Jerkatorium - This is a clean mix. Pleasant guitar solo. I like the guitar fills and such going on in the background on this song. The transition to the ending was a little awkward, but the end was nice after that.

WreckdoM - At first I felt like the drum intro was going on too long, but almost immediately after that thought the guitar and other sounds came in... and that part I found to be very interesting. To me the vocal melody lines were kindof overly repetitive, however I enjoyed the other stuff that was going on around them in this song.
Aciniform Artifice
A New Player
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Hello, people of Song Fight!

I have listened to each of your songs and voted for the ones I liked best. EDIT: marked as (vote) in the list below

Below, I have compiled some random thoughts I had whilst listening:

Bouffeur De Cul: That synth sound in the intro is a bit louder than the vocals, so when it comes back, it’s a little hard to hear what’s being said. But if I’m getting enough of the message from what I did manage to hear (that is – I’m getting a sarcastic rendering of the title, “you spouted off some political bullshit and amazingly you actually made me come around to your point of view; good job, you changed my mind!”) then I enjoyed the song.

FireBear: I think I used to have this same amp modeler; it feels very familiar. Also the song itself, brings me back to early ‘00s post-post-rock and post-grunge that would have been happening right around the time of Weezer’s green album.

Froot Loops + Jelly: I think I get the concept here – you weren't going to use the optional challenge when you started writing and singing the song, but at some point you changed your mind and added in that percussion, and that piano part, and that bassline. Individually each element sounds fine, and I can appreciate what you were trying to do here, but I’m struggling a bit with the way it all comes together, timing-wise. Mainly the vocals and the percussion seem to really clash with each other; and the everything else is forced to choose teams (the guitar joined team vocals, while the other parts seem closer to the percussion side of the field).

Gil Sans: At first I wasn’t sure whether the slight clipping/distortion and the roughness of the guitars was intentional (I’m still not sure) but as it went on it got progressively messier, and I have to admit as it went on I liked it progressively more. Especially the sound of the drums once that crash/ride really enters the picture throughout the second half. (vote)

Gray: Always love to hear that mellotron sound, or even a modern facsimile of it. The vocals are quite nice but I have to wonder whether this song may have been better suited to a less-upbeat backing beat? Would be curious to hear a version where everything else was the same but the drums were redone in a much sparser and mellower style.

Jerkatorium: So many twists and changing of minds and then changing them back again, it’s a little tricky to follow the story here unless the listener is really paying attention. I understand that this is probably intentional.

Mx. Logan Posthumous: Was this assembled from samples of various Sega Genesis game soundtracks? Some of the sounds in here sort of felt that way.

Paco del Stinko: Weird. In a good way. This absolutely would not seem out of place amongst the last few songs on Billion Dollar Babies. In fact, I can really imagine that last chord fading out just as “Mary Anne” starts fading in… (vote)

shrts: Usually like my punk with a little less pop and polish, but can’t complain about anything here.

WreckdoM: The bass part is great and those glitchy instrumental parts are so fun. I only wish the vocals were a little less effect-laden. But ultimately, it’s a very small quibble.

Yaks of the Industry: The song is very good, but that Rhodes piano really does it for me. Straight outta Frampton Comes Alive. Solo could have been much longer and I wouldn’t have complained. (vote)

Thank you.
Last edited by Aciniform Artifice on Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Qucik comments. I thought this fight was strong with both top-notch songs and some off strong off-center stuff. Should be a fist fight for first place!

Bouffeur De Cul - The whistling tea pot takes a turn through the pub. A bit unhinged towards the end, fun flirt with danger and disaster. Not quite a lone swaying bulb on a string though.

FireBear - Great downshift start, love it. Catchy power pop well done, arranged. Very rocking and radio ready. Nicely done, lead voice sits well. Ending off somehow...

FL+J - Fantastic
. Intelligent and assured, playful enough. Tasty melodies sung well with pleasant voices over just right accompaniment this is done just right. Love it!

Gil Sans - Right on, man. Catchy and rocky soars where it needs to. Sounds like it was played in Neil Youngs barn. Love the sonics as much as the tune, great changes. Great end too. Yeah!

Gray - I'm sure the band would wear near matching suits when they play this out. Bit of the bittersweet there. Nicely sung and arranged, easy going. Cut use a wee bit of edge in the mix to my ears, smooth.

Jerkatorium - Power stance rock into that singy chorus is sweet, love changes in feel tempo. Not as manic as it could have gone, initially anyway, there's much feel here. Bridge feels right, not just stuffed in there. Vocals, guitars all tops, I'm in!

Mx. Logan Posthumous - Syd Barrett's nephew in the midi-verse. This gets to the gonzo corner pretty quick and doesn't leave it for long. A little exciting a bit unsettling, I enjoy the trip but don't want to get right back on the train. I dig it, in doses. Heh. Doses.

Paco del Stinko - I listened to Pixies Bossa Nova for my challenge inspiration and got this wobbly bit of skudge. No keys or synths involved, all guit-wanger.

shrts - Fun monster punk chugs with you not at you. Add it to your own Short Music for Short People track for track response album. Please.

WreckdoM - I almost left the planet when the first squiggles came in. Love the sci-fi ultra-color dance hall laboratory. Great groove, slo-dance. Heady and grounded at the same time, nice. Easy singy chorus, just right.

Yaks of the Industry - Latin Pink Floyd airs with contempo lounge changes into the modern leaning chorus, great. Love the bridge section especially, it opens up nicely and starts taking you there. Pro arrangement and mature, real deal. Love the production, sounds great too.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The Yaks win!
Aciniform Artifice
A New Player
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Aciniform Artifice »

Congrats to the winners! Previous post is updated to reveal whom I had voted for...
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Yakz 4 lifff