Why be king if you can't be a (Billionaire Bully reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Why be king if you can't be a (Billionaire Bully reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

and live in a castle just like in the video games?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Why be king if you can't be a (Billionaire Bully reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Thy lyric shall lie neareth here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12390

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

James Owens - The Ballad of Elon Musk? This is fantastic: whimsically rendered, use of the word "sonfoabitch", and good lyrics.

Glennny - Nice opening! I approve of the dual guitars, bass sounds great with interesting lines, good vox.

coyot - This rocks. Good lyrics, interesting musical features, like the catchy hook and the full stop, also the way the chorus breaks into a groove.

Pannacotta Army - I immediately thought Last Train to Clarksville. I always liked the Monkees. This is just so good, that chord progression in the chorus. As always, well-rendered and well produced. The organ sounds really cool and the guitar outro was very classy!

Possum Sauce - There was something about the mix of this that was sort of hard for me to hear, like part of the sound was swallowed up. I like the way you sing this. The clapping is a really cool touch. Not alot of songs get away with talking about taxes in the hook, but this one does.

McHaggis - The mix was quite quiet on this but I won't fault it for that. It sounds pretty rockin' though, and I like your voice. This song also says "sonofabitch" - 2 songs in one fight!

WreckdoM - This hook came straight from the universe as a muse visited Pete WreckdoM in his garage, and rightly so. There are elements at work, here on earth, and now space, possibly beyond, that are broadening the gap between an opportunity at success or remaining stagnant. The billionaire bully is faced with options beyond our ken. Should he choose to be merciless, the world will still keep turning but with more of a veneer of shite on its collective unconscious.

Berkeley Social Scene - I was not a fan of the screechy dual guitar intro - less of an edge on that tone would make much difference.

Pigfarmer Jr. - I was never a fan of Charles Manson, my buddy in highschool used to rock a Manson T-shirt and I just wasn't there for it, but Charlie did put it concisely, "The public's a bunch of assholes," and I tended to agree. As for the song, really well put-together, as always wonderful guitar tone.

Johnny Cashpoint - Noisy intro but in a good way. Sufficiently weird vox and remains noisy thoughout. Makes me think of early Residents.

Inflatable Vegetables - Immediately likeable intro. You kinda sound like David Bowie. The chorus is catchy.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

wreckdom - aaaah this is so sludgy and great. i love the chorus and profanity. this sounds very Butthole Surfers or uh... Meat Puppets to me. great one.

j$ - i was thinking this sounds dead milkmen-y until we hit the pre-chorus. oh god I wish I didn't share a town with the absolute shithead and i'm so glad you're on the right side of history here. ok it's dead milkmen meets clash. boom! you're the strummer we need, j$... i like the bassline too.

BSS - this intro actually sounds plausibly like broken social scene, who i think named themselves after you guys? is ken drumming? no, not ken. is ken singing? ken sweetie you need to take this down a key, you are not a young man anymore. i love the half-note "oh" sounds. these drum fills are fun too. geech is clearly a better drummer than ken. ok enough ragging on ken, love you ken. this guitar solo is sick and i love it. ok real talk? i got an amex platinum about six months ago and i had to spend $x in the first six months to get the bonus xxx,xxx points, which ended up being easily done after paying for some expensive car maintenance and transmission replacement, but anyway every time i pulled it out of my wallet (it's heavy) i felt like SUCH a douchebag. and i mean ken probably makes more money than me. jk we're both civil servants. but... anyway. good song.

glennnnnnnny - ok you're on bss and you did your own song? you're double dipping? you don't get two reviews. read the BSS review again and mentally edit it to be about your other song. no, i actually have to say, this reminds me of uh asia and .38 special and shit. the guitar tone is very 80s buttrock. "Caught Up in You" is good though man. shit that's a good song. four stars and a vote to "Caught Up in You" by .38 special. i didn't finish listening to this, sorry.

panna cotta army - i LOVE a panna cotta. i might prefer a crème brûlée... i'm not going to look up if i got the accents right. i think so. i'm brushing up on my french, taking a vacation next summer, anyway, any custard, i'm into it. i mean any vanilla custard. normal fruit flavors are fine. i'm not going to eat like, elderberry custard. fuck off. this is well-produced. some nice percussion. guitar's all chris isaaky. always like a curt solo outro. yeah the guitar lick is rockabilly style. this is nice, well done, you should be proud of yourself

coyot - i never had a punk phase, much less a hardcore or emo or screamo or frankly any of that. ska. there are songs i like in the super-genre there, i mean i like it when i'm playing tony hawk's pro skater, you know, i had a dead kennedys shirt in high school. loved "fresh fruit for rotting vegetables." i don't feel like i'm better than anyone who was or is into punk, it's just not my scene is all. i'm into asshole music. you know. destroyer. bob dylan. music that assholes like. just imagine the most insufferable person you know and think of what music they're into. that's my scene. this is fine. i checked out at 1:40. i need to get to bed... by 1:40.

inflatable vegetables - is that a uke or a classical guitar? hmm. it's a little on the nose. i went to an izakaya in vancouver bc that was so fun. guu with garlic. highly recommended to everyone. austin has like... i guess we have a couple izakayas maybe. the one i've been to is kemuri tatsu-ya, and it's not bad, nice ambience, but i mean what's important in a restaurant to me is: is the food good. i like good service, i like value, i like ambience, i like free parking, but what i most want is the food to taste good. some people go to a korean place and they get bothered when the service is curt. your expectations are wrong. this was ok. i hope you had a good time recording it. i did not mind it.

possum sauce - my girlfriend says (texts) "cool beans" a lot and i'm like, listen i'm not that into "cool beans," i don't say it, i wish she wouldn't, but it's not like i'm going to call her out. it's just not that important to me to make it worth getting upset over. i feel the same way about "awesome sauce" being bowdlerized (so to speak) into possum sauce. possums are all right. i wouldn't eat one, i don't reckon. this song's pleasant. bo diddley beat? love handclaps. they really do not like to pay taxes. what a joke. you get it. this guy gets it

pigfarmer jr - wow a somewhat pro-billionaire song! i mean mazels on taking the contrarian tack. i haven't visited columbia. went to kansas city this summer. had a great time. cool, charming city. royals stadium was great. if you're a cardinals fan fuck you. cardinals fans are worse than billionaires.

james owens - a maritimes provincer?? man i'd have pegged you for being from one of the islands off of mainland europe. this makes me think very much of loudon wainwright iii and that sort. kevin bloody wilson. fun one, well done.

mchaggis - i'm sorry i'm so tired. honkshoo honkshoo mimimimimimimimi
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

mkilly wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:30 am
i haven't visited columbia.
You wouldn't like it as it's plumb full of Cardinals fans.
if you're a cardinals fan fuck you.
I am. Is this where I start copying quotes of opposing players talking about how great the fan base is in St. Louis?

Thanks for the reviews. If you ever pass through let me know and we can grab lunch or something. Maybe talk some baseball. :twisted:

AbCred
A New Player
Instruments: guitar, bass
Recording Method: Reason 12
Submitting as: John Gillespie, JTTJ, Absolutely Credible, and others in the distant past

Post by AbCred »

I'm entering for first time in a long time next week, and noticed that there haven't been many reviews lately. Just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.

Inflatable Vegetables – I recommend adding about .5 seconds of silence to beginning of your track as best practice. The change of textures coming out of the chorus into the verse at around 1:15 sounds nice. Some sort of technical glitch around 1:45.

James Owens – I’d like to hear more top end on the vocal. I wasn’t expecting the accordion on the chorus, nice surprise. The organ sounds nice and I’d like to hear more of it.

Johnny Cashpoint – not sure what you’re going for here, maybe a Captain Beefheart-type thing? Without at least one genius in the band those things are hard to pull off.

[VOTE] McHaggis – Straightforward and effective for what it is. Should be mastered much louder. Mix is muddy.

[VOTE] The Pannacotta Army – Great mix. Solid songwriting and good chorus.

Pigfarmer Jr – Music sounds pretty good, I think the lyrics are the weakest element here.

[VOTE] Possum Sauce – I like this and the chorus hook is nice. The song sounds really pleasant but I'd like to hear a fuller and more present mix/master. I think especially more attention to the vocals, in terms of compression and eq, would help this stand out more.

Wreckdom – I think more naturalistic drums with some sort of groove would help this idea come across. There’s a lot of space to hear the drums here but nothing really going on.

Berkeley Social Scene – This is one of the stronger entries this week but there is a particular upper-mid frequency in the vocals that is too prominent and tires my ears very quickly. Sounds like there is maybe some mix bus compression that is kicking in too hard when the vox come in and causing a pumping effect.

coyot – I like this. The vox don’t quite seem to fit into the mix, maybe some distortion or tube saturation would help.

Glenny – I like the doubled guitar lines. I feel like adding another musical element into the second verse, either another instrument, another part, more rhythmic variation, etc. could have really helped the song from dragging.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Berkeley Social Scene: Creative arrangements, textures, and syncopations. A bright and open sound. The vocals seem a bit muddy.

coyot: Nice punky protest song. Tight, punchy delivery. The stutter evokes Talking Heads. The breakdown is good but a little too open. I feel it would be better if the singing started immediately.

Glennny: Artful composing, crisp performance. Steely Dan meets Jethro Tull meets Bachman Turner Overdrive meets The Beach Boys. This song has a good kick and intriguing guitar lines.

Inflatable Vegetables: The ukelele lends a tropical air. Strings feel a bit washed out, maybe a bit too much reverb. The chorus channels Bowie incredibly in both writing and performance. I like the contrast between the parts of the song.

James Owens: I've been hearing a lot of East Coast music lately, and it came out in the swaggering chorus. McHaggis improved the song with some suggested chord alternatives and lyric ideas. I should have set a faster tempo.

Johnny Cashpoint: The rhythm is ragged and the vocals feel muted , but the song has a quirky charm, matched by the slightly mad vocals.

McHaggis: McHaggis and I started with some pooled lyrics but we each took our own musical directions. I like this one better, it has a cool chorus and I love the sparkly guitars in the bridge. The mix could bring things out more.

The Pannacotta Army: Excellent as always. The recording is top-notch, the playing is highly competent, the arrangement is tasteful and efficient, the lyrics are solid, the song has a natural originality while honouring a genre. How can I not vote?

Pigfarmer Jr: Grungy rocker with an oddly angry yet apologist take. Delivered with spirit. I like the way the solo incorporates tension in the accompaniment.

Possum Sauce: A dreamy sound, driven by a hollow bouncy rhythm section, intimate singing and harmonies, and gentle instrumentation. This stands out for its warmth and sweetness. It gets my vote.

WreckdoM: Ominous. The band snakes its way through this song. The female vocals feel threatening in an understated way. The male vocals are overstated, but with lyrics like that I'm not sure what else could happen. They draw attention to themselves, but it's the rest of the song that deserves attention.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Pannacotta Army wins!
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Pannacotta Army deserves the win, but I thought Inflatable Vegetables deserved more than one vote. I guess I need to be more generous with my own votes.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz, Tim.

AJOwens wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:43 am
...I thought Inflatable Vegetables deserved more than one vote
One is more than zero, though.

iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Congrats Pannacotta! Your song sounded amazing.
Pigfarmer Jr: I voted for myself. :)

I suck at reviews - I will try for current fight, but I can't guarantee anything useful. So thanks to all you who DO write reviews. I appreciate them.

AJ: Be as generous with your votes as you feel. Reviews take far more time and effort. You've been generous with your reviews.
facebook.com/ivegband