I had a good corn dog (My First Rodeo reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

I had a good corn dog (My First Rodeo reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

I was trying to think of food at a rodeo. Having never been to one I wasn't sure.

https://houston.eater.com/22944904/hous ... dining-nrg
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: I had a good corn dog (My First Rodeo reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Here's the lyrics thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12414
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Great art work Glennny..!!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Nice work on the cover art Glennny!
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yes, awesome art, Glennny! Thanks for contributing that.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Fairly quick thoughts and I'm back to homework.

Berkeley Social Scene: I'm digging the guitar solo. The drums are a hair thin or low, maybe. But I enjoyed the vocals and that guitar riff and well, the song itself.

Johnny Cashpoint: The lower range vocal seems different but works well. This song just seems less abrasive than your usual fare.
*Edit to add:* I enjoyed listening. The synth bits worked well and there's a grit that is enjoyable. Reading back my original note seemed shitty. It wasn't meant to be.

kennebec manifesto: Some cool vocal phrasing. This whole song is chock full of rhythm goodness. I like the guitar

The Mellfire Trifecta: I like the arrangement quite a bit. And the vocals work very well for me. Good melody. And I like the synth lead, too. Good one.

Paco del Stinko: So is that rhythm in the guitar, the note held until the and of two then an eighth note, quarter note, quarter note patter, is that like a calling card? It seems to be very paco-ish. It works so damn well. I think I want to steal that and try to use it in a way that doesn't sound like paco. Just because it's cool. But it could be that I'm imagining things and should get back to homework. Oh, yeah, I liked the chorus rhythm, especially in the vocal. This is a fun one to try and sing along to. Nice deep vocal bit, too.

Pigfarmer Jr: I should have spent more time editing but I don't hate it flaws and all.

Yaks of the Industry: I hear some definite pop production elements in this song yet it still has a non-pop sensibility somehow. I mean both of those in a good way. It's just a good arrangement, I think. At any rate, it feels right.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Four and a half days late to the rodeo... and I copied the title as "First Rodeo" so a totally different song.
Attachments
iveg First Rodeo.mp3
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
facebook.com/ivegband
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Quick comments. Nothing bad here, but a couple stronger than the rest. Top three get votes.

Berkeley Social Scene - Bluesy garage rocker with pop ambitions. Nice lead freakout at the end, raw and rockin'. Threatens to drive off the cliff but remains in the rails. A little more bite in the chorus wouldn't be wrong. Sounds great, makes you want to play, jam.

Johnny Cashpoint - A little damp in the corners, wandery, but keeps on moving ahead. Dark and not the cheeriest place to visit, I don't mind going in for a bit. Just need some light after and less wet brick and electricity density. A pint, probably two.

kennebec manifesto
- Wow, great groove and party jam too. Instrumentation and arrangement are right-on real, rightly done. Could be used in a movie, but certainly with a crowd. Very fun. A warm not too harsh light. Hints of orange and tan corduroy.

The Mellfire Trifecta - 60s and 70s vibe simultaneously. Lovely transitions and the vocal harmony adds exactly what is needed and where, feels good, the upper parts in a comfy spot. May have other era vibes but is fresh and now. Just sweet enough melodies. To the point but relaxed and confident.

Paco del Stinko - I had intended to do a polka/oom-pah or whatever it's called thing but somehow ended up here. Baritone solos as free added bonus!

Pigfarmer Jr. - Earnest folky song with anthemic qualities. Love the little builds that then hold up. Acoustic guitars sound great, jealous. Kinda leaves off in an open-ended way, really sends home the feeling. Very nicely done here, open hearted feel. Exhale, man! It's ok. :)

Yaks of the Industry - Great pulse, hints of neon reflected on the city street. No dirt here, but no disinfectant either. Love the horse tied bridge part, wow, where did it come from and go? Massively excellent, better as it goes, synth drums fills only make it even more fun. Superb.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

PFJr wrote:So is that rhythm in the guitar, the note held until the and of two then an eighth note, quarter note, quarter note patter, is that like a calling card? It seems to be very paco-ish.
Unintentional, whatever it is. I think you can tell I'm not exactly a big thinker. :)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Lunkhead wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:26 am
Yes, awesome art, Glennny! Thanks for contributing that.
I 4th that. Very noice!
MellyP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, keyboards
Recording Method: Spire, Reaper
Submitting as: mellfire, hoodmo, The Mellfire Trifecta

Post by MellyP »

Berkeley Social Scene
The highlights for me are the smooth vocals and super lead guitar flourishes (+ solo about 2/3 of the way through). I kind of wish that extended solo had come a bit earlier. I liked the verses more than the chorus but this is solid. The playing is good as always. Wonder why you used the vocal effort on the chorus? It changes things up but, to my ear, didn’t really add much. Good tight playing.

Johnny Cashpoint
I like the synth choices in your song. Also, the “come on” background vocal bits. This really gets going for me at about the halfway point. I got into the depressing groove (intentional I can see from the subject matter) and started to nod my head to it right to the end. I wonder if it would have been even better with more drum and percussion variations. The lyrics were intriguing.

kennebec manifesto
Love the verses, cos they really move, and fit together like a puzzle. I kind of wished the chorus would bring the energy more but that was coming in the interlude starting with “pick it up….” Really like that part. Good sax sounds. Didn’t notice it was almost four minutes long with the transitions and good musical ideas going on. Great effort!

Paco del Stinko
Entertaining story. That’s a catchy beat, great set of verses and the chorus is pretty good. I particularly like how you have the sustained vocal that’s interrupted by the next vocal (only slightly overlapping) which happens many times in this song. There may be something wrong with me but the article of clothing I find funniest is “assless chaps.” I guess it could also describe a couple of super skinny British dudes. I enjoyed this. Yippy Yo!

Pigfarmer Jr
Nice gentle acoustic cake with a bit of electric frosting. Good transitions. Sounds great. I particular like the way you sing this one, especially the way you hit the word “horse” in the chorus. Good emotional match with the words. The descending chord progression at the end of the chorus is very nice. You paint the picture well. Good arrangement and good job.

The Mellfire Trifecta
Went simple on the chord progression on purpose this week in an effort not to overthink that aspect. It’s definitely a covid related song – I hope not to be disqualified for that. :lol: Didn’t those get banned on here? Maybe not.

Yaks of the Industry
The build is really good. From early on you can feel the tension as it works its way toward the happy chiming, rhyming chorus. Throughout, this really fills the ears with interesting and complementary sounds. Real guitar? Hard for me to tell. I like it though. Not sure I love all the drum/percussion fills but could be just me. The bridge is a step out into a new direction. The way you transition back to the chorus is masterful. Cool tune.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

I am planning to write some reviews later or maybe tomorrow, but lemme just chime in real quick to say that yes, the guitar on the Yaks song is real, and in fact is all a new acquisition--long story short, I had a particular guitar that all the of the DubTri stuff was done on back in the day, but that guitar was at a friend's garage like 20 years ago and got destroyed in a sewage accident. So I finally got around to buying another of that guitar, same year, same color, same build, and that Danelectro 56-U2 is what's on the new Yaks song. Ken and Future Boy carried the writing heavy lifting this time (especially that FB chorus which we called "The Beatles when Paul discovered slappin' da bass"), so I just got to do accents, which is always fun.
martyr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: bass, vox, mix, guitar
Recording Method: m-audio 1814, logic; motu traveler, magix
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Zipline, Zinkline, Monte Carlo, Older Brothers

Post by martyr »

First off, I think the Glennny cover art has got to be his best ever. It's a freaking Expressionist Masterpiece people!!! It should be in the freaking Musee d'orsay! It should be a $69M NFT! We are lucky to have such excellence, and the seven (7) song EP this community made for the title creates some great listening.

__Berkeley Social Scene__

Yeah, definitely doing the goth country punk for this title! "I'm a newbie, but ready for more!"
Perhaps the excessive autotune in the chorus channels that it could be our first rodeo?

__Johnny Cashpoint__

Thump thump count down to hallow synth. Marching, plodding to an ominous doom?

__kennebec manifesto__

Ska man. This satiates my all too long fast on upbeat grooves. The vox and rhymes are solid. The bass is deep. The sax and keys are atmospheric. Cool fun jam! The hangry bridge perhaps divergent? Solid close. |0

__The Mellfire Trifecta__

Acoustic shine. Good production and driving, moving folk rock. The harmonies are excellent. Flute synth is nice. Good movement between parts and overall composition. Sweeet synth solo! |0

__Paco del Stinko__

Nice driving down the highway classic rock rhythm. Classic Paco vox. So Paco to illustrate "Do-si-do" rhymes with "rodeo" and "come on down, off we go"! Thick, raging guitar solo -- love that. =D

__Pigfarmer Jr__

Dual acoustic and soaring aspirational vocals. Definitely getting country rock vibes in this song to suit the theme of the title. "Get back on your horse whenever you get bucked off." Hard to argue those are not timeless lyrics.

__Yaks of the Industry__

Oh that luscious 80s sound the Yaks make is so amazing. The pulsing bass and rich guitar counter melodies set a deep environment that allows the incredible chorus to sketch a scene for the listener to literally enter into the song. Getting a slight Belle & Sebastian vibe, or perhaps what I want them to be. Great multi-chorus rich harmony exit. Rockin! |0
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Mo wrote:Danelectro 56-U2 is what's on the new Yaks song
Gotta love those lipstick pickups. The baritone guitar on my rodeo song is a late 90s Danelectro re-issue with lipsticks. Love'em!
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

I came here to say the cover art is awesome. I see I am late with this hot take. Oh well. Reviews soon.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The Yaks win!