The only thing that settles my nerves are (Strong Coffee reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

The only thing that settles my nerves are (Strong Coffee reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Lyrics can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12422
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: The only thing that settles my nerves are (Strong Coffee reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm gonna give this a few more listens before writing reviews, but so far my favorite is Popped Hearts. I also like Duncan Martin, Jeff DeSantis, bgm, Richard Masters, and Paco del Stinko (in no particular order). I haven't locked in my votes yet, but those are the ones who stand out through a first listen-and-a-half. Great jobs, guys!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I'm not very practiced up and I'm certainly rusty when it comes to recording these days. Something I'm working on currently...

I HATED my entry so much that I immediately re-recorded it just hours after submission. I literally re-recorded every single part over again...even remixing the beat a little too.

So if anyone is interested in listening to a MUCH TIGHTER version of the Joblito song, see below:

http://breadboxstudios.com/sound/Joblito_sc.mp3
( http://breadboxstudios.com/sound/Joblito_sc.mp3 <-- the player doesn't work for me so ... )

But still feel plenty free to score my actual entry because this is Song FIGHT!, not Song Salvage.

Now I'm about to go listen to everybody!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Yowza, that is a huge improvement, Hoblit! I'm not gonna lie, when I first listened to the submitted version, I was trying to figure out whether it was a troll entry.

I've had revised versions substituted after the fight went up before. Perhaps the fightmasters will grant clemency for a long time veteran of the community. ;-)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The song from The Economy Biscuits totally rules.
Economy Biscuits
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Synth, drums (programmed)
Recording Method: Reaper, Bias FX, EZDrummer, etc.
Submitting as: The Economy Biscuits
Pronouns: yes

Post by Economy Biscuits »

I dont enter often but when I do I love listening and commenting so please pardon if I literally comment on every entry!

Wages
Commitment to the vocals and love it when they double and harmonize. The end wraps up nicely. Nice work!

Johnny Cashpoint
Gotta admit, got a The Specials vibe from the intro - and it was great. Lots of fun ear candy and panning going on. I like how the lead guitar cuts through the mix early on.

Berkeley Social Scene
As someone easily overwhelmed in loud venues and conversations, the background vocals had be absolutely claustrophobic, lol. Love the breakdown. This brought me back to late nights at the diner over studies. I've also roasted my own beans and pretty much sound like everyone in the background when coffee comes up :)

Richard Masters
Lots of interesting chords to keep it moving. I feel like it's harder when there's only a few things going on - the performance was spot on.

The Popped Hearts
Whoa. Very heavy, very big sound I love it a lot. I will always give big, nasty guitars a vote.

Shine Valley
Lovely intro that bobs and weaves, love the bassline. Solid guitar work (A little Mark Knopfler?) The bit after the chorus was my favorite changeup.

The Economy Biscuits
Yours truly. The Devil gets jacked up on java and enters the mosh pit... A rushed production with new mastering software had me hamfisting the levels on the guitar. I've since brought them down but it is what it is! A good ole' call back after listening to Dave Grohl's Probot collaboration for the last few weeks. This fight had me realize I want to get active pickups and some new guitar software and learn mixing better.

Jon Porobil
Love how this digs in, the lyrics hit close to come... old school drum machines (that snare!) always get a vote!

Paco del Stinko
Jumps right in! Those sounds really great. Nice mix and some fancy guitar work in there. Kazoos ahoy!

Soft Rick
My favorite chorus of the fight. I always forget how many great guitarists there are here and this one sits right up there with the best in the fight.

Joblito
Another thicc snare. Love it.

WreckdoM
Best energy of the fight! For my money, this is the most 'coffee' coffee song in the fight - frantic, loud, unapologetic and will definitely shoulder-check you in the subway. Live fast, die hard!

bgm
This is my favorite. Great song writing, vocal work, arrangements, tasteful effects that give a vibe without overpowering, sweet harmonies. little ear candy secrets here and there. Feels like a lot of work went into this one.

Jeff DeSantis
Solid. Wish I could sing this well. You have a lovely gravel/slight fry that really pops.

Duncan Martin
Great lyrics, got the kazoo in there!

Yaks of the Industry
This was the best use of the kazoo (imho) lovely mix.

Pigfarmer Jr
Another big energy intro and love it. I'll be honest, this doesn't need potty words. I'd say if you're going for offensive, do it with the riffs!
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

JonPorobil wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:35 pm
Yowza, that is a huge improvement, Hoblit! I'm not gonna lie, when I first listened to the submitted version, I was trying to figure out whether it was a troll entry.

I've had revised versions substituted after the fight went up before. Perhaps the fightmasters will grant clemency for a long time veteran of the community. ;-)
Hey, thanks, I do appreciate the kind words.

I should get bashed though. It may be what I need to get my butt in order. It was really easy to rerecord it. Meaning I should probably just practice my song more before I go to do so. Or know when to quit trying to record due to fatigue...that hinders me from getting it 'right' in the recording if I keep going too long.

I really need to get back into better musician habits.

Also, while I didn't mean the song as a 'troll', it is a bit tongue-and-cheek.

I love strong coffee and I do wake up in need of a cup every day.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just had a moment to post a Cybronica song that came in just after I'd posted the fight.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Lunkhead wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:07 am
I just had a moment to post a Cybronica song that came in just after I'd posted the fight.
Thank you, Lunkhead!! I’ll be knocking out some reviews soon, too. Quite enjoying this crop of songs. :)
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Economy Biscuits
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Lunkhead wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:57 am
The song from The Economy Biscuits totally rules.
Looks like this fight might be light on reviews so thank you! Couldnt make Power Plants happen but looking forward to the next theme.

Cheers!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I listened to these the hour the fight came out, and again today. Sounded the same! What? I didn't expect coffee shop vibes, but more zippy hopped up stuff. Good round, though. Votes to the top three.

Berkeley Social Scene - Moody and not decent song, the coffee shop mutterings are good for a intro/outro thing, typical as that approach may be, than basically running through the entire song. Makes it a bit tiring. I get the intent, but too much. Love the chiming harmonics and plucks, the
mood might be better suited for another theme. Loose for you guys.

bgm - Love that riff and groove. Mysterio detective theme that fits well here. Sounds great too. This does so mush in two minutes but doesn't feel crammed. Psychedelic chorus could be more dynamic sonically I think\, but great heady away. Tremolo and other subtleties are tasty. End makes it feel demo-ish. but this takes you to a fun place. Dig it!

Cybronica - Sounds like it's from a play or JC Superstar type production, which is nice for a spin, esp. in the middle of the fight here. Wonderful real singing, melodies are solid if not hooky. It's nice to hear good singing technique and feel, qualities things I do not possess, for sure. Wow. The arrangement is lovely, could snip a dozen seconds off somewhere in the middle, it almost drags for a wee bit. So longing!

Duncan Martin - Very Dylan opening cadence but sounds like you. Arrangement and patterns all very well done. More coffee shop than I had a lot of coffee vibe, grinny fun. Nice tones on voice and guitar, earthy and warm. Don't let that kazoo scare you, invite it into the room but remind it to be polite.

The Economy Biscuits - The vocal intro makes you think this will be jokey, but the immediate pummeling afterwards knocks that away. Vocals fit better there too, good performances. This barrels ahead at great speed' I'm hanging on to the side of the car on the highway. Something to provide a ballsy lower end growl is missing from my home stereo, but the massive guitars are superb. Great playing too, doing what is needed and where. Lung cough inducer indeed!

Jeff DeSantis - Nice and easy, confident. I picture this playing under images of a guy in his older model pick-up driving some mid-west long rural road. Very personal feeling. The lite accompaniment is fitting and balance the overall feel just right. Nicely worded and sung, too.

Joblito - Doesn't quite percolate but has moments of I'm So Tired wants. The layers are well intentioned if demo-ish, the bridge is kind of kooky at times, like and old 4-track recording. I like what this wants to do, lyrics work, but it doesn't quite do it. (On this submitted version, anyway. Will def listen to the other.) Glad to hear you!

Johnny Cashpoint - Nice poppy start, enhanced by percolating synths and sequences, they drive it ahead. The lyrics are grumpy good. This ode to under-feination is solid, tighter bass would help it drive just the wee bit more it might need. Wake you up regardless. Good morning!

Jon Porobil - Engaging and serious captivation to start, so serious. Percussion strikes are nice, first one made me hear wah. That would've been nuts. I like the vocal effects here, about as much of that stuff that I can handle. I like the slow build, fuzzes and tension then ssshhtppt! Over! But I'm glad it didn't do that for five minutes. Melody is good, leading to the waited triumph that doesn't happen, but very much like how this grows. Good singing!

Paco del Stinko - I desired a Hot Rod Lincoln or Hot Dog riff, but not in my wheelhouse right now. Fun to do for country bass and to break out the electric kazoo. Kazoo plugged into echo box then recorder, new guitar amp alongside an old one. I don't use auto-tune, if you can't tell!

Pigfarmer Jr - Cow-punk, I'm on board. Jason and the Scorchers. Very singable chorus, so direct, so effective, love the "I don't even like drinking coffee", classic. Production and arrangement are solid, bigger wouldn't hurt. but this keeps it all genuine. Let that anger out, bro! Good length, a section doing the melody on guitar would work, but maybe only for a short bit. Meat 'n taters good!

The Popped Hearts - Nice and chunky power pop, influences add up nicely here to your own thing. The kazoo ending ups the emotion here, good work, that. Sends it home. Imagine! From kazoos! I wanted to hear this take off running at some point, but that's me being impatient. Very good at what it does. Sounds big, too.

Richard Masters - Almost cute, hangs on to being longing and near lonely. Lovely melody and performance, those back-and-forth notes almost too many, but very well done. Love the vocal control, feel. Kind of a traditional run through a slight Radiohead filter. Nicely done.

Shine Valley - Hmm. Who is the Shine? Very nice guitaring, sunny Beck-isms and Howe meets Knopfler. Progressions are interesting and flow better with the lead accents. The vocals are brave and work most often than not. I think the beat could be trimmed a bit. Fewer accents but not lose its drive or feel, bit cluttery. Like where this goes. Hats off to balls!

Soft Rick - Cellar jam start. Under=produced Case tune, pulls off a good vibe, esp. after the first chorus. Good demo, the ideas are ther, just not realized. Take it around the block and bring it back!

Wages - Good riff groove to start, gets a lot of milage here. The chorus change is good, if not tight vocally. The voice is rich and warm, smiling, pitch works better singly than in unison, few more laps around the practice track to take it home. Sounds good, very guy at the bar or coffee shop tones. Glad to hear you!

WreckdoM
- Great opening riff and attack. Sabbath punk kicks. The only thing I'd want more of here is speed, even if came via accelerating as it went. And maybe a throat shredding scream as it all explodes. Thank you for the feine-age!

Yaks of the Industry
- Lounge coffee. Not all orange shag or anything, though. Super use of kazoo, not over-kazooed. The hint of old timey progression and swing is fun. Casual but tasty vocals, hooky and hummable enough not to annoy. No need for a bridge here, says what it says and stays just long enough. Nice.

Edit: Changed outro to intro in Biscuits comments.
Last edited by Paco Del Stinko on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Economy Biscuits
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:49 pm

The Economy Biscuits - The vocal outro makes you think this will be jokey, but the immediate pummeling afterwards knocks that away. Vocals fit better there too, good performances. This barrels ahead at great speed' I'm hanging on to the side of the car on the highway. Something to provide a ballsy lower end growl is missing from my home stereo, but the massive guitars are superb. Great playing too, doing what is needed and where. Lung cough inducer indeed!
Much appreciated and 100% agreed on the bass. I just installed an active pickup on my budget bass that seems to fill out the low end a bit. Hoping the next one has a little more oomph! Thanks for reviewing!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Biscuits: I had meant to write intro, not outro, in my remarks about your song. Don't know how that slipped by the editors, so i corrected that.

Good luck with the new bass. One of my basses has active electronics, definitely a different tone than passive pickups. Enjoy!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Paco wins!