Time to schedule my colonoscopy (I Only Go Once A Week reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Time to schedule my colonoscopy (I Only Go Once A Week reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Which is a thinly veiled reference to all you 20ish year songfighters out there. Stay healthy, my friends.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Time to schedule my colonoscopy (I Only Go Once A Week reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The words you sang in your song should be listed here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12437
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
FatBoyJamz
A New Player
Submitting as: Fat Boy Jamz

Post by FatBoyJamz »

I'm new to this, so here goes...

I didn't dislike anything I heard.

Duncan Martin - I like the chorus, the cymbals are nice, and I enjoy the wailing of the vocals.

Berkeley Social Scene - I like the vocals, and the various references to going only one a week, or once in seven days.

Ellipsis - I like the rock guitar and drums. The voice changer is nice. The solo is great. Love the various sounds used.

kennebec manifesto - I like the lyrics + vocals. Excellent backing track.

Johnny Cashpoint - The backing track seems to fit just right for this song. And, maybe some of song was cut off? Not sure if that was intentional or accidental.

Future Boy - Suitable backing track. The delays are nice. Good reverb. I like the lyrics.

ME - Most of my music is chill. This piece is no exception. I used the vibraphone here as well.
Last edited by FatBoyJamz on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I'll be hosting the SongFight 'I Only Go Once a Week' Listening Party on Monday 3/27 9pm EST. Drop in and hang with the artists in the Chat room, and I'll play some other SF/NurEin/SpinTunes songs and maybe a few requests. Drop in and say hi on Monday night!

https://youtube.com/live/lKO-2jsiKck

j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

FatBoyJamz wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:42 am
I'm new to this, so here goes...

Johnny Cashpoint - The backing track seems to fit just right for this song. And, maybe some of song was cut off? Not sure if that was intentional or accidental.
I've checked and the song is fine,playing for me in its entireity, Cheers, anyway.

j$
FatBoyJamz
A New Player
Submitting as: Fat Boy Jamz

Post by FatBoyJamz »

I see I was wrong. My apologies... :)
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Fat Boy Jams - I really dig the delivery of the vocals. Everything has equal emphasis is a cool way -- different than how a lot of spoken word gets delivered. The lyrics and the music compliment each other well.

Johnny Cashpoint - The blown-out sound is really torturing me, but I like what you're doing elsewhere here, and I guess it works if you want the sound of a bleach-soaked song! Fun lyrics, love the story.

Kennebec Manifesto - False start was fun. The backing track is great. I can't quite figure out what the lyrics are getting at - lots of idea fragments. Sounds like there is something aspirational going on. Extreme agorophobia? I like when the clear guitar comes in. Nice beat.

BSS - Feast for the ears. I like this mix. Lyrics are clear and the delivery has a lot of heart. Harmonies are good too - nice attitude. Reminds me a little of Gener on Push the Little Daisies. Guitar solo is ripping now. This sounds like a lot of fun. Great fill riffs too.

Ellipsis - Sort of like J Cashpoint, the distortion is kind of too much, but it might be just a taste thing. I think I'd like something to come out on top of the bed of sound. The solo towards the end kind of steps out of it a bit. High octane. I like the energy - bring it. Lyrics certainly showcase the title.

Future Boy - There's that vibraphone. This is some good clean fun. Tympani is a great touch. Once a week is a good rate for therapy. I wouldn't go more than that. Great sounds peppered thoughout. This reminds me of Gerry and the Pacemakers or Peter and Gordon, mixed with a bit of musical theatre. The harmonies and vocals are clean, clever, and well timed.

Me - One time someone said my song sounded like Prairie Home Companion and he was right, and I wasn't really proud of that. This may be another, but those Beastie-Boys-style end-rhyme harmonies sure are fun to do in an acoustic format. I think too often I end up telling little song stories that tend to follow the same general format. I want to break out of that. I think it's because I listened to the song Entering Marion a lot for a while for some reason, maybe it was on a tape in the car. The Dave Van Ronk cover version.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I'm live with SongFight Monday 3/27 at 9pm EST - That's Tonight!
Preshow happening now - Drop on in and chat with the artists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKO-2jsiKck
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

Fat Boy Jamz: I would consider balancing the vocals and the music so that the vocals sit in the music a little more—to my taste they are quite loud relatively speaking. I think, especially with this spoken style, that when the vox are mix-dominant you have less ability to lose yourself into the track, and that’s something I would want for the listener. The music bed could probably use some more detail as well, just little bits of countermelodies or whatever, ear candy stuff. YMMV ofc, but for me the repetitive hypnotic cycle thing works best with riffs as opposed to this sort of chord-y approach, and often what you hear is someone varying up the vocal approach to create distinction sections, if the instrumental layer is basically going to be static. When both of those main elements are static, it gets a little boring. I like the lyrical approach, you’ve got a good start here.

Future Boy: someday if I ever want to write a musical, I’m calling you. Great little attention to detail everywhere (vibraslaps, etc), lots of layers. Lyrics are sharp with great prosody. Happiest song about depression I’ve heard in a long time. As usual I also love the BVs, harmony stacks are gorgeous. Big fan of the little dim7 chord or whatever it is in the B section haha. It’s a smartly put together song in a lot of ways, and very consistent with itself. I think it would be best set off in the context of a story though, really, out on its own it seems a bit adrift, but I guess that works too haha.

BSS: Reminds me of Heart at the beginning. Something about the chorus vocal harmonies don’t work for me, which is funny because you did something similar to me in using a dissonant approach, but I just am not feeling it, doesn’t sit right for some reason. And actually that’s the main thing I feel about a lot of this song. It’s got some great riffs and tones and rock feel, but a lot of things in the vocal don’t sit right for my taste. Sometimes it’s the melody, sometimes it’s the rhythmic phrasing. The “I only go once a week” is an example of the melody feeling weird to me.

Johnny Cashpoint: I like the chord progression, flows very nicely. There’s a disjointedness about the song that is off-putting at first but as you get into the lyrics, makes sense, to the point that by the end of the song I was into it. My main criticisms of the song are the cleanliness of the mix and other technical shit, but I have no complaints about most of the songwriting (although the “to get well scoured” line sits a little awkwardly and I bet you could find a better way to deliver it). I love the “no time to go to church” bit. I would’ve liked more build in the music, something again to create more sense of journey through this character’s psyche. Funny how this week it feels like a lot of these songs could be in (vastly different) musicals.

kennebec manifesto: good party tune, have no idea what’s it’s about. And surprisingly for a 4 minute song (also, I’m guilty of this too but tune the guitar) kind of an amazing lack of hooks. And sure, ofc songs don’t have to have to hooks, but this one kind of feels like it should’ve had something a little more singalong-y pop up every so often. Feels kind of slapped together—the vibes are solid but kinda not really finished, IMO.

Duncan Martin: From the beginning I feel like it either needed a longer instrumental intro OR to just start out with solo vocals, something to let you get into the groove. I would really like to hear your main vocal with a less obtrusive reverb sound, I find it very distracting. And since the tenor of the whole mix is a little overly dark, kinda muffled, the reverb makes the vocal sound more mumblecore than I think it actually is. Some more off moments of vocal phrasing, like the “now I only go once a week” at 0:31 where it sounds like maybe your breath was trying to catch up? I’m just guessing, but those things stand out with this type of vocal melody that is specifically so rhythmic and makes it feel like it lacks confidence. I am super curious about your recording setup though bc you’ve been doing a lot of fights and granted, I haven’t listened to so many of them, but I feel like it’s always under a blanket when I do hear them. TBH I’m not a huge fan of the “armpits stink” line, but it’s mostly bc my understanding of the logic of the lyric is “here’s situations that are not ideal that improve when you only do them once a week” and so the “only go once week” “choruses” if you will are happy solutions and should feel that way as opposed to the conflicts of the verses. It's a short song as presented, and to me this also sounds unfinished--like it really wants a bridge to do a bit of self reflection and then you wrap it up nice and tight for the ending.

ellipsis ft Casiowl: mostly here to point out owl’s contributions with her newly acquired Casio, which as soon as she said she got a new toy, I was like, me me me me me play on this song, and she was like ok and then there was a song. I had a hard time trying to come up with a lyrical theme for this bc I didn’t really want to write the obvious type things, but then I sort of ended up there anyway. Trying to fight it hopefully generated a better lyric than I would’ve come up with without fighting, maybe. For those of you keeping ellipsis fuzz pedals count, this one used a Buzzaround clone for the rhythm and a Foxx Tone Machine clone for the guitar solo, which brings the total number of fuzzes used on this latest spate of ellipsis tracks to 6 different fuzzes hahahaha. Guess that was fun whilst it lasted.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Future Boy wins!
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

Yes! Good win to a great song