Talk about a creepy uncle (Persephone reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Talk about a creepy uncle (Persephone reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

What happens in the family, stays in the family... I guess.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Talk about a creepy uncle (Persephone reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

BSS's "Persephone" is our 300th Song Fight entry as "Berkeley Social Scene"! We tried to rally a bunch of past collaborators to participate as we did for our 100th entry "Bear Food" but sadly those folks were busy. Instead we wound up with a lineup more akin to our 200th entry, "The Return of the Century". It's the "core four" (me, glennny, martyr, Ken) and "new guy" Geech (only 4-5 years of tenure, haha), and star vocalist Erin. I went down to the Bay Area and we five guys wrote and recorded the music live in person, Geech on drums, martyr on bass, me and glennny on guitar, Ken on Rhodes. Erin wrote the lyrics and sang, Ken did some synth overdubs, and I produced. I think it turned out pretty good! Congrats and cheers to my bandmates on 300, and here's to many more!
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Johnny Cashpoint: Very ominous, that filthy guitar tone is rad. Clever lyrics! I like the narrative.

Max Bombast: This is giving me flashbacks to listening to The Living End on repeat in high school. Very catchy chorus.

Berkeley Social Scene: Super atmospheric opening. I mentioned The Living End for MB, this is giving me Metric vibes. I really like the chord progression. Congrats on 300!!

Robyn Mackenzie: I came up with this pretty much right after the title was released, in the car on the way home. I even did the optional challenge! I’ll probably tweak the production but overall I’m pretty happy with the lesbian anthem I came up with.

The Craic Pipers: Wonderfully Celtic. The lyrics paint a beautiful picture with that booming deep vocal. Very scenic both lyrically and sonically.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Lunkhead wrote:BSS's "Persephone" is our 300th Song Fight entry as "Berkeley Social Scene"!
About time! ;) Kidding. Congrats!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'm not in the fight but I've not reviewed much in the past 18 months or so... figured I owed it to y'all. Take it for what it is, brief thoughts after one full listen.

Berkeley Social Scene: I'm not used to a female singer in a BSS song and I'm surprised at how much I both like it and feel slightly confused by it (in the sense that it's unexpected.) It almost seems like a different band. But dang this is pretty darn good.

The Craic Pipers: The low tone to the vocal is tasty (and different for these parts, I think.) A good vocal performance. Would you sing "Clark Kent, now there is a real gent." for me? I forget the name of that band but your vocal reminds me a little bit of them.. a little. I like the sparse arrangement, it works for me, but this ends right when it's starting to wear out its welcome in my ears.

Johnny Cashpoint: What did you different with your mix from previous songs? This one sounds less muddy.. a bit more clear. Man, what a slow burn. It works, though. I was gonna say the vocals could be stronger but I think these work very well for this song. Kind of an abrupt ending. Maybe meant to make us want more?

Max Bombast: Is it me or is the verse vocal buried just a hair? I especially like the melody in the chorus which sounds kind of familiar but I think you're just playing to the chord progression. That clean guitar works very well when the whole band kicks in. The added harmony vocals are a nice touch. Kind of an abrupt ending but it works.

Robyn Mackenzie: That bass is pretty prominent on my speakers.. it's panned hard right, I think. The melody and vocals are enticing. I love that little downward bend on the last Persephone in the chorus. Good song, that chorus almost gives me a late 80's Lenny Kravtiz vibe... which I like so that's not a bad thing.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Berkeley Social Scene wins!
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

Congrats!!