And The Horse You Rode In On (I Hate You Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

h wrote:gert it sounds like you want to be in the radio and be popular. i guess you could, but why would you want that?
I do just have to say one thing about the Gert. There's no trying to be anything that sounds a certain way. This is really just the music that six guys are writing in one week, from our souls, same as you (except for that theres six of us), whether you believe it or not. So, rok. Be it rock or reggae whatever comes the way on a sunny weekend. heyay.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

G. Rant wrote:To Egg (haven't figured out how to quote yet . . . ),

Do the vocals really sound forced? . . . maybe I should try singing in a different key . . . I've never had any type of formal musical training (taught myself guitar, bass, and drums . . . and the tambourine and shaker egg too!), so any tips on how to belt out vocals better would be appreciated. I also greatly appreciate any type of constructive criticism . . . so criticise away, please!
For what it's worth - I've been a big fan of your entries so far (I've voted for you twice) - and I'm quite particular about vocals. I think you've got a great style - almost a laid-back sort of punk delivery. You do remind me of someone - but I can't put my finger on just who at the moment (maybe a more coherent Joey Ramone?... maybe not..)

Major flaw with this weeks song was a few too many forced syllables - you trip over yourself a bit getting them out - careful editing of your lyrics can fix that.

So, take what advice you can - you can always improve - but don't get too down on your vocals - I think your doing a pretty good job already, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't others who agree with me (as I said in my review - my wife also thought you were pretty good)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Frankie, good job. I even like the akward mix personally. I like the guitar durring the verses. Both the duh dugh and the brrring. Thats nice. I'm not saying I love it, just hating it less and less with each listen. :-)

Dean Sky: sexy...also reminds me of Gunn & Fames of songfight past.

Rant: catchy...but I particularily like the guitar distortion. Classic. Sounds like a cross between Social Distortion, The Descendents, and modern psuedo punk.

StateShirt: awesome as always. Sounds like early Sound Garden without Chris C. and your vocals instead :-) It's very nice and epic as always.
h
A New Player

Post by h »

rant
for the next songfight I'm planning on doing something along the lines of Hanson mixed with Slayer all the while throwing in hints of Oingo Boingo and some Creedence Clearwater Revival. Waddaya think?
awesome

yeah, i know it sounded like a bad review... and i mean what i said, but i really do like the song, and maybe you were just joking about the hanson/slayer thing, but i think i'd like to hear that too!

social cannibalism is a good thing. schadenfreude!
G. Rant
A New Player

Post by G. Rant »

Thanks for the advice and positive feedback, Ray.

and H,

The Hanson/Slayer thing (I was joking) would be cool if I could figure out a way in hell to possibly come up with a "cross" between their styles. I imagine it would probably sound something like Michael Jackson singing Danzig songs . . . hmmm . . . interesting . . . . . . . . . although I couldn't sound like M.J. even if I cut my balls off, so I guess that idea is out the door unless someone wants to collaborate.
"Signatures are stupid." - Me.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

does gert know that it is a tropical depression?
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... shtml?3day
evidently formed close to the coast and fizzled a bit rather than becoming a hurricane.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

HeuristicsInc wrote:does gert know that it is a tropical depression?
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... shtml?3day
evidently formed close to the coast and fizzled a bit rather than becoming a hurricane.
-bill
How do you figure? Last week Gert gave the rest of you the pleasure of not ONE but SIX full reviews. You're welcome. At least Gert doesn't just monkey around with a few synth notes, and then put a TV voice over it and call it a song. No, it's actually this living, breathing thing made up of multiple people called "a band." We make music, with six people, each playing an important role.

post above remains for posterity. Boltoph: out of his mind. Sorry Bill, it wasn't an insult it was just a mere outpouring of loyalty that I have for Gert. I took this as an insult. Damn messageboards.
Last edited by boltoph on Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Rik »

You go, gert!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

what? was that some kind of putdown?
i thought it was cool that the possibly-becoming-a-hurricane got named after you and i thought you'd like to know.
i'll avoid repeating what i said to hoblit that one time, but i'll leave it at : what the hell ??
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

I think (though I don't speak for him) Boltoph may have been responding more to general anti-Gertisms on the board than he was to your post in particular.
It seems Gert has gotten off on the wrong foot with its light-hearted bravado, and that Gert is judged more on personality than quality of its songs. Perhaps we could re-introduce ourselves as Gert, a fun-loving band of rock n' rollers, and start afresh?
It does seem strange, though, that there are so few full reviews lately. Dead of summer? Maybe. But in a fight of 16 people, shouldn't there be a minimum of 16 reviews?

Cheers.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
chuckstas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

The fIGHT

Post by chuckstas »

Stuey: This song is pretty cool. I like the low strings. They really make the song. I like the whispered "I hate you. Can't stand you. But i need you. And I want you." The drums are kind of quirky funkiness to them. The lyrics are kind of cheesy, but I definately guilty of that to. Nice sounding mix as well.

Latex: I found this to be just okay. The lo-fi sound is pretty cool, but it wears on me after about a minute or so. This song also sounds like there needs to have more going on in it. The length is just about right, however, so kudos on that.

Hillbilly: This recording is really noisy. Are you reel to reel tape or something? The lead guitar has a nice clean sound to it. The acoustic sounds very boomy, however. I like your voice, you sound like you've had just the right amount of beers and cigarettes.

Wally: This song is great. I love the warbly electric piano and the melancholy vocal delivery. The lyrics excellent as well, very funny. The guitar solo is very tasteful, the drums sound good, man, this song rocks.

Gert: Did you get Joe Perry to play on this one? This is a great riff-rocker. I like the dual guitar solos, the tonal differences and locations in the stereo image make it really work. This is going to be a tough one not to vote for.

Caravan Ray: The voice in this sounds like it has a little to much reverb on it. The background vocals don't really seem to work too well, either. Overall, though, this is a pretty decent song. The acoustic has a nice sound to it, and the balance between the vocals and the guitar is good as well.

Bax: I don't really know what to make of this one. I feel like it should end in a cacaphony of noise. Not bad though.

State Shirt: This song is pretty good. Makes me want to go get trampled on it a mosh pit. A little to much of the same though. I would've liked to see a "calm before the storm" kind of section. Also, I'm not to sure about that bleepy ending.

Rik Gerblik: This is nice pop/rock tune. The first vocal line sounds distorted, and there are a few other places where I think I can hear the vocals distorting. The harmonies are very nice, and the overall songwriting is very tight. My only other complaint is the tone of the guitar solo. A little twangy for my tastes.

The Rant: Decent punk rocker. The snare drum sounds a little weak and doesn't really crack the way I think it should. It kind of thuds instead. This song is also a bit repetitive, but overall job well done.

Takasonic: This song definately grooves. It gets a little old after a while though. On the technical side of things, I could use a little more thump in the mix. The bottom end isn't really as heavy as a song like this needs to have it. I would definately bring the bass guitar/synth or whatever you used up in the mix. The cymbals are also a little harsh sounding. It might just be from the conversion to mp3.

Frankie: I was wondering if I would have the chance to go up against the legendary "face". As you would say, "you know stuff" about writing a catchy tune. The vocals are a little hard to make out, I would've liked them a little more prominent in the mix. I love the intro riff. How did you record the guitar for that? I has a nice meaty crunch to it.

Phunt: I don't like this song. I don't really know what else to say. I'm not sure what you were going for with this one. The bass riff is kind of cool.

Chuck Chuck Moose: This is me. Actually it's myself and a friend of mine. He played the trumpet and did the vocals, and I played the guitar and bass and did the drum programming and mixing. What actually happened during the bridge was I got off from the click with the guitar part. I tried to go back in and make the drums sync up, but clearly I failed! Oh well, I still think it turned out pretty decent.

Comfort: This song is pretty cool. The whispered "i hope you die" is really cool against the tranquil guitar part. The other vocals real cool, too. Bonus points for originality.

MSG This one's pretty hilarious. A fat guy, a hip hop groove, and bagpipes. Fo shizzle...or not. I can't really consider this one a song, though, more of a novelty.[/b]
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Smalltown Mike wrote:I think (though I don't speak for him) Boltoph may have been responding more to general anti-Gertisms on the board than he was to your post in particular.
i just don't understand why i was attacked after posting a "fun fact" kind of post... nowhere ever did i say i was against gert. it was really uncalled-for hostility. and yeah, it's in response to my post, he used the "quote" button.
how is my post anti-gert? i'm dumbfounded!
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

boltoph wrote:At least Gert doesn't just monkey around with a few synth notes, and then put a TV voice over it and call it a song.
sniffle
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
Rik
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Rik »

Egg wrote:sniffle
Wow Egg, I'm surprised that got to you. Every week it seems somebody trashes your work, but I've never seen you break down like this.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a pretty cool coincidence. Someone at the NOAA must be a songfight! fan. So why was the last one Emily, they must not have thought enough to call it Hurricane Egg.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

HeuristicsInc wrote:i just don't understand why i was attacked after posting a "fun fact" kind of post... nowhere ever did i say i was against gert. it was really uncalled-for hostility. and yeah, it's in response to my post, he used the "quote" button.
how is my post anti-gert? i'm dumbfounded!
-bill
I took it as an insult, I didn't mean to attack you. I was just stating the way I felt about something triggered by your message. Sorry, sorry. Totally my bad. I took it the wrong way...Smalltown Mike's got it right. I am an emotional rollercoaster...was trying to keep on the down low a little and I took your comment the wrong way Bill...and then it all came out as Smalltown was saying. I'm ashamed.

Can I erase the post? I guess I got to leave it there at this point. I didn't mean any ill will to Egg either (actually your tune this week is the best I've heard by you I think and will take me about ten listens to try and decipher meaning because it's actually really interesting). You do what you do, and I respect that. I just get very very fired up sometimes. Please, kick me now. Hard.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

ok then!
the kick will have to wait; i was in boston yesterday but i am not any more!
my leg is not that long.
maybe this week i'll review your fight and i can tell you what i think of gert. however i haven't actually downloaded any songs yet...
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Rik wrote:
Egg wrote:sniffle
Wow Egg, I'm surprised that got to you. Every week it seems somebody trashes your work, but I've never seen you break down like this.
I'm pretty sure that was gentle sarcasm.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

how do you know that rik wasn't aware of the gentle sarcasm and was implying that the egg was crackin up in his own gentle sarcastic way?
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Are you being sarcastic?
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Mogosagatai wrote:Are you being sarcastic?
ARE YOU?

ha, I don't know whats going on...I like, just entered the room and everybody was already fighting!

Anyways, overall, this is a good fight. I wish I had time to do a full 16 reviews but these days I reserve that for fights I enter. I tried to listen to the other fight...but three songs in I got discouraged...I'm going back to listen to it again.

Everybody kiss (hug, embrace, fondle) and make up! :-)
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I thought everyone was just living up to the parameters outlined in the thread opener.

Oh..Hoblit... TAMPA IS SO SCREWED THIS YEAR!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!`1
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Leaf wrote:I thought everyone was just living up to the parameters outlined in the thread opener.

Oh..Hoblit... TAMPA IS SO SCREWED THIS YEAR!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!`1
I won't believe any of this until the first game starts.