Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Method of Delivery reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
chuckstas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Hah

Post by chuckstas »

Hah, good one, I guess that did kind of come out kind of bad sounding.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Blak Rushin' – Part of a song which I was thinking would develop but just finished. Nope not for me as is I am afraid.

Boltoph – Pretty, bit noisy which lost the intimacy for me. The synth does seem distracting too although well done just doesn’t seem to gel with the rest.

Caravan Ray – Jungly toms :lol: You must be in a randy mood this week Ray. Good one.

Chuck Chuck Moose – Oooh very dreamy piano and sound balance on this. The violin is really nice with just the one bum sliding note that jars in the second bar of its entry. I liked this a lot!

Dark Liberty
– Song structure sounds okay but I am not getting enough energy out of the lead vocal in particular. The overall musicianship is okay. Bass tone sounded weird but the line is good and mostly tight. Outro seemed weak.

Future Boy – Such great technical musical production as usual but this week the rhythm, melody and vibe aren’t moving me. Not a song that made me want to dance, sing, or do much other than hit FF.

Jay String – Technically very well done and the lyrics are a fund story. All that said, not my cup of tea…or “oak matured wine.”

Pumpkin Buzzard
– Errr…No…Nothing to say

Raw Strength & Courage – Oooh it’s us. We had fun with this. As previously said, I think cubase/groove agent (i.e. me!) messed up the percussion and I didn’t hear it as Bjam wanted me to push it back in the mix so much. Would have liked more time to get a few more vocal harmonies and maybe a better instrumental vibe for the break etc. Johnnie yes she was reading her lyrics. But at least this week I got four takes out of her…hence why the accidental harmony that I grabbed and used for the chorus.

Rik Gerblick – Nicely done. I enjoyed this. Really liked the “dress really shows your…” line…it jumps out. Guitar solo was restrained as said before.

Thornberry – Great emotional vocal treatment, but your guitar sounds so thin and ringy for this type of song. I get the sense of far too cheap and light strings….was it capo’d? Better guitar sound, attentive audience and I could be moved by this in a coffee shop environment. The end is still great vocally but feels like an intro or bridge rather than outro.

Preferences for Thornberry, Rik, CCM...Boltoph could have got there for me with a different mix treatment and more intimate vocals. Wll done all Now where's the rest of the bloomin reviews!!!! 8)
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
BlakRushin'
A New Player

Post by BlakRushin' »

hey everybody...

been lurking for awhile..trying to get the courage up to submit something. It's not much..but I didn't have much time to get it together. I did feel some posilove though, thanks for all the great comments. I hope to submit something a bit more complete and song-ish soon.

And do some reviews as well. Thanks for you listening!

BR
icy caramel flava.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

BlakRushin' wrote:hey everybody...

been lurking for awhile..trying to get the courage up to submit something. It's not much..but I didn't have much time to get it together. I did feel some posilove though, thanks for all the great comments. I hope to submit something a bit more complete and song-ish soon.

And do some reviews as well. Thanks for you listening!

BR
Welcome dude(s) and keep at it. If you develop out the concepts into full songs you'll feel much more appreciation... guaranteed. Many folks with quite varied tastes here so you are bound to find some fans.

And let us know what you think of the other songs too. As many people have pointed out the reviews are WAY more important to most of us than the actual votes.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Blak Rushin' – Starts good – but outstays its welcome fairly quickly

Boltoph – Pretty good. Some nice variations with the bongos etc. lift it well above standard guy-tar blandness

Chuck Chuck Moose – Pretty good stuff. Nice recording – I like the starkness of the vocals. Violin is very good

Dark Liberty – Good song. Great music. Weak vocals. If you ever want a help out in the vocal department – give me a shout. Oh, and about time you wrote some reviews for us!

Future Boy – Not grabbing me at all. All a bit cold and plodding.

Jay String – This is great! Nice rhythm – and I like the fuzzy, buried vocals. Lyrics are totally gay – have you ever thought of using smutty double-entendres instead? :wink:

Pumpkin Buzzard – No – not really doing much for me.

Raw Strength & Courage – Nice, but I think your method of delivery need some work. Bjam sounds like she’s a bit unfamiliar with the lyrics/melody. A couple of extra vocal rehersals and this would have been great. Minor nitpick really though – this is still very good
Melody is reminding me in parts of “Your Gorgeous” by Baby Bird.

Rik Gerblick – I ‘ve really got a major genre bias against you stuff. Sorry – it’s not bad, but it’s just not my thing.

Thornberry – Nice voice – but I’m finding this pretty dull.

Caravan Ray – This was going to be a hair-metal song performed by Spert. That never happened. I quite like how it came out anyway.

Vote for jaystring
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:Caravan Ray -... This is like Carry On Songfight.
I'd love to hear my song sung by Kenneth Williams with Barbara Windsor on back-up. That would be awesome!
Nick
A New Player

Post by Nick »

Hi. My first post! I played bass on the big mouth song last week, and appreciated the reviews so I’ll return the favor. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of the sad and mellow acoustic songs that are common here. So my reviews are naturally biased towards anything else. I also prefer real instruments over computer generated ones, although I must admit that on some of the songs here I can’t tell which is which sometimes. I guess that’s a complement to the keyboard players.

Boltoph:
That said I think this sounds very nice, great guitar work and a cool hook in the chorus 7/10

Caravan Ray:
I like the feel, and the drumming. The mix is a little boomy though and I don’t think the song develops much.
6/10

Chuck chuck moose:
Damn your voice is really good. Nice melody. I’m fully impressed. Just got to the violin, georgous! I’d like to hear a little more growl in the vocals maybe.
9/10

Dark Liberty:
Hey alright it’s rockin. This is more my thing. I think the music is great. I just don’t like the vocal melody. I don’t know it’s just bland, but it’d be easy to fix so I’ll give it.
7/10

Future boy:
I like it. Pretty funky groove and your vocals are really good they make the song for me.
8/10

Jaystring:
The beat is quite mesmerizing . In fact the whole song is. Put me in a sorta trance.
7/10

Pumpkin Buzzard:
Creative but not very listenable. Good dynamics, I like the intensity changes. No idea what your saying
4/10

Raw Strength and courage:
You havea great voice and I like both the guitar and mandolin but the song just does nothing for me.
5/10

Rick Gerblick
This is good. Well written, it’s got nice movement through the song. The vocals are awesome, it’s a good melody and lots of emotion. Your production is excellent, it sounds very professional.
9/10

Thornberry:
Your singing is very smooth, the song is to mellow to do much for me but you sing beautifully.
7/10

Blakrushin’:
It’s very driving, with some pretty dope tones, nice and heavy. Just needs to develop into something more.
6/10

Rick Gerblick wins but a tough call
Rik
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Rik »

Nick wrote:Rick Gerblick wins but a tough call
Hey, thanks! You're the first person here to admidt they voted for me. :)

BTW, welcome to the boards and thanks for the reviews.
You can listen, but you're not going to like it.
Thornberry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Recorder,, Vocals, Haromica
Recording Method: M-Powered Pro Tools 8 via Profire 2626
Submitting as: Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

Blak Rushin'- Lots of Synth goin on here. Kinda crazy synth. Say anything besides the title? "Oh yeah" that doesnt count. I was interested, but not excited.

Boltoph- Im getting a Doobie Brothers Vibe. Thats a good thing. Ok once you sing that is gone, but not a bad thing either. I like the lil keyboard thing in the back round doin its woo-woo thing. In all honesty, the melody is not catching me. And of course I have to mention the Bongos. I think those are a nice touch. Simple and all, but nice. I like the music quite a lot actually, and your voice is A-OK, just not my favorite choice of Melody. Well done though. Very Beatleish Ending I think. Good Job.

Raw Strength & Courage- I like the higher guitar thing, not sure if it is a madonline or just a capoed guitar (or other). I am not a big fan of the mix overall. Vocals are a little too loud, at least in my headphones. The timing also feels off at times. Its nice you have an array of percussion. Youre voice has a good quality, just a few pitch problems, no big deal. The song itself never quite caught on like i thought it would. It ended a bit strange too. The idea was there, I just don't think it was particulary well excuted.

Pumpkin Buzzard- Haha, The Darkness? This sounds like something on the American Idol blooper reel. Lot of tremolo goin on. Well if your purpose of this was to be strange, and make me feel rather strange listening to it, then you've done your job. You hit some high notes, so um, way to go. I dont really like this, Im sorry.

Caravan Ray- " It aint the size of the package he's deliverin', its the method of delivery" Oh man, best interpretation of the title so far. Not trying to hide your intent eh? These words are great. The music ain't half bad either. Strange ending, but worked nicely. Well done, good job.

Chuck Chuck Moose- Your name reminds me of the one of my favorite games as a wee child, "Duck Duck Goose!" so Im already in a good mood. Oh wow, love the electric piano. Isnt your first line a Maroon 5 song? And your voice kinda sounds like that dude too. This is fantastic. You have a really great voice. It is pleasing and distinct, which is what i look for a in a voice. its not pictures perfect, which is endearing. K we got Violin. I personally think a lil reverb on this solo would have a created a nice aora. Around 3:40, your last line, is a bit awkard. But other than that this was great. Fantastic.

Dark Liberty- Following Chuck Chuck Moose would be hard for anyone, but I dont like this anyways. There is no solid melody, the powerchords are bland and unoriginial. Are you young or do you just sound young? Cause you sound about 14. If you are much older, than sorry for the insult, If you are that young, then its all good. Just keep pluggin and youll get good.

Thornberry- This is me. I wrote this lil diddy about 6 hour before it was due, at about 3 AM sunday night. This is included a house full of sleeping people, and a tired me with a tired voice. I had no intention of submitting a song this week, but i picked up my guitar before i headed off to bed, and this started playing. Played with a capo on fret 1. I also played it live, with only my second take, my third time playing it through at all, so I was pretty happy with the result.

Rik Gerblick- Direct acoustic it sounds like. I think you should, by the sound of your voice, do a bit more rockin' rock. I was never a fan of panning the drums to one side (my one complaint of the Beatles actually). wait thats it? Not much happened in that song.

Future Boy- another synth track. I prefer not electronic music. The vocals arent half bad actually. But I just dont like this type of music. I think if you did this with some guitars and all that type of stuff, i would like that a lot. This is pretty well done, just not my type of thing.

j$- Not much to say. Not my thing, and not my favorite of the stuff you've done in the past. BUt there is nothing wrong with it all.

Chuck Chuck Moose had no competition in my mind. Soon my mouse will be going to the home page, click the bubble next to their name, and then going down and pressing the "vote" button soon after that. Kudos to you.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

Songs Still in My Head After 2 Days

Dark Liberty
How good would this sound performed & produced well? Very catchy & sounds like you're enjoying playing it. Definite points for trying. But the charm of your off key vocals & bad production will wear off after a few weeks if you don't show improvement on future songs. But this has the best chorus of the week, and that's really saying something.

Raw Strength & Courage
Another song stuck in my head. Great job on the lyrics & melody. The guitar is often out of time with the drums, very apparent in the quirky drum breaks. But that kind of compliments this song. Great placement of the dom 7th chord in the chorus, where the hooks will keep this song in my head for days. This is the class of a great fight.

Future Boy
One of my favorite artists is Todd Rundgren and you have him nailed on this song. From your voice to the ambitious chord progression, especially on the chorus. This fits right in the 'A Wizard, a True Star Album (& that's where I just might put it on my pc) .... doesn't matter why I like it as long as I like it, right? I'll be checkin' out the Future Boy archives.

Chuck Chuck Moose
Great intro, nothing original but immediately sets the song style back 20 years. Very good style. Your voice on the first verse & chorus is perfect, then falls off slightly the rest of the way. Don't want to downplay it, it is a very demanding part & the melody itself is really cool.

Other Good Ones

Boltoph
Pleasant to listen to if only for the excellent production. Very good guitar parts, could've done without the fiddle sounding part, but the synth adds a nice hook.

Rik Gerblik
Very Pop-Rocky, good chorus. Would sound good on the radio. The electric guitar gets lost in the mix of the chorus, but the accoustic guitar sounds really nice. High quality all around.

J$
This ones growing on me. Mostly because of the cool backround. So far nothing is jumping out at me, good verses but the chorus sounds a little too 'busy' for me.

Thornberry
Another one growing on me. Good melody, great vocal performance. Also a very good guitar part. Another keeper in this excellent fight, perfect backround music.

What Could've Been

Blak Rushin'
Very very cool backround, shame you repeated the same vocal line over & over. Please send the backround tracks to J$ so he can give it the justice it deserves.

Caravan Ray
Seems to be missing something.... wish it built from the intro & first verse, maybe adding instruments (especially after that drum fill! A setup like that, and then nothing.) Too empty.

Pumpkin Buzzard
Sounds like any movie played on an elementary school movie projector. Very nice chords & progression but couldn't have been performed any worse. [gong]

Best fight I've heard in awhile. No less than 8 keepers. After a lot of thought, my vote goes to Raw Strength & Courage.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
BlakRushin'
A New Player

Post by BlakRushin' »

hey everyone,

just wanted to let you know I'llbe doin rviews, but they mightn't be done before the next fight is up. I have limited internet access where I am, so I've burnt a cd of the fight and have mynotes scribbled on bits of papr and napkins and stuff...almost finished.

hope to post them tomorrow.

thanks for all the constrctive feedbk.

-BR
icy caramel flava.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Oh my god, I'm here to be the one person who says: Pumpkin Buzzard is genius. Holy shit, I listened to it immediately after listening to it.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

weaselslayer: glad you liked it. check my post at the beginning of this thread for a billion more songs.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

jute gyte wrote:weaselslayer: glad you liked it. check my post at the beginning of this thread for a billion more songs.
Ya, I dont think I have time to review this fight, but I really liked PB and all the stuff at some songs and the full AADs at your website. I'm kinda surprised you all collab. .... .... and wish I was invited. :)
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
G. Rant
A New Player

Post by G. Rant »

Love the lyrics C. Ray! You have a cool style.
"Signatures are stupid." - Me.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Blakrushin - Cool textures and really dig the distorted vocal moments, that being said the textures aren't enough to break the monotony of the repetitive title as the main point.

Boltoph
- This is excellently recorded. I love the lap steel in the background and the "TAXI" keyboard sound. It's a lovely contrast. Didn't get the memo it must be the method of delivery is a great line. This easily could get my vote for the title. Great song. Has a very strong Hedges feel that I can totally identify with.

Caravan Ray - I find the rev a bit heavy on the vocals. Very Waits-ian. I think the tune itself could have been brought about more if you were pushing the boundaries on the vocal performance a bit harder. A little more edge. I really like this CR tune. One of the better recorded pieces of music. Sweet. I could find myself voting for this, but I just dig the energy in the Boltoph tune more so far.

Chuck Chuck Moose - Great personality in the vocals. "Lie", the first time, gets a little stretched in the wrong way, but I let it go as the personality is so great. The "bubble wrap cushioning my fall" is a nice lyric especially in lieu of the title. The violin is suhweet. Excellent space on that recording. Good song. Well crafted, well performed. A little thin in production. It could have had more instruments introduced to it.

Dark Liberty - Keep it coming. It gets better. Only advice is rock those vocals harder. The performance doesn't match the intensity of the music.

Future Boy
- I'm in love with your keyboard tones. The intro was a little long for me as my ADD sometimes doesn't give me too long of an attention span. The chorus was very cool as an offset. I don't have any production notes as everything sounds great. My only beef is that there isn't really any hook to this song. Not that there has to be, but it would help in me remembering it.

J$ - There's that major movement in the vocal melody that is so indicative of J$. I really wish that you could maybe get a little more blues in your voice at points. Not a bad tune. Doesn't really get me for the title as others are a little more powerful, but it's really well recorded.

Pumpkin Buzzard - I love the visceral energy. I don't love the recorded parts. The campiness rocks though and could garner my vote cuz of the insanity. The tinkering is great. Then it just gets intense. Jute sounds like he's just givin' 'er, or is that Calfbourg. You guys rock. Period.

Raw Strength & Courage - The mandolin is nice. The pitchiness is a bit awkward at times. The lyrics are good, but I just feel like the whole songwriting process for this title by you is a bit obvious for me. It's just a really nice song with very little excitement.

Rik Gerblik - Blind Melon seems like a very strong influence to you. That's great if you execute it beyond these SF ramblings. When I say that it's the jamminess and the vocals that give me that feeling. Nonetheless the song's alright.

Thornberry - I'm all about your style and voice. It's really great tonally. My main issue is that it sounds like you could have gone for more takes and the intimacy is not as strong as it should be to execute this type of song. It needs tightening. The songwriting and the performance. You either have to go one way or the other. Either like Luke Henley or Josh Woodward. The no mans land is sometimes the death of music. Go big or get wasted I say. It gets a little long in the tooth for me and after a while this one started boring me.

Vote was between Chuck Chuck Moose, Pumpkin Buzzard and Boltoph. I thought Boltoph's music was the most compelling, but the lyrics that Chuck represented were very good. I got to say that Boltoph gets it. Not by much. PB was pretty crazy too.

Awesome music EVERYBODY...... ROCK!!!!!!

;p
BlakRushin'
A New Player

Post by BlakRushin' »

<b>Blak Rushin'</b>
ok...bit on the sparse side. Limited time on my roomie's pc, but I had this idea see...well, you hear what happened. lookin' forward to gettin' my own box to spend some time with. saving up now. thanks for listening..even though it's the worst tune here!

<b>Boltoph</b>
sweet acoustic guitar sound. you have a great breathy voice..very peaceful. tasty keyboard parts, used sparingly and I like that. I've checked your stuff out before..you have a great sense of song. I like your mix..I could fall asleep to this. That's a good thing. I mite hafta vote fer this man.

<b>Caravan Ray</b>
i like the drum tones. dont' like your voice..sorry. but i do like yer harmonizin...neat. gotta say though that the lyrics are cheese. like, utter. you took a lot of drugz when you were younger didn't you? me too. whacked out tune.

<b>Chuck Chuck Moose</b>
nice e-piano. nice falsetto. good melody. too much postal metafore going on now...you can CR call each other? :) nice song...but i'm getting a bit drowsy. wow that violin/viola was pretty impressive. ok, i'm paying attention now. still no excuse for the lyrics. but a good keeper tune. :)

<b>Dark Liberty</b>
you need to put as much work into your singing as your music. when you right a lot of songs, it's not funny man. it gets tired when you don't sing it like you mean it. you have talent...wish I did, so dont' piss it away. sing it like you mean it.

<b>Future Boy</b>
i like your kick drm. big and stereo like. nice skwelchy sinth man. your voice is buried man..can't understand half of what you sing. this song is kinda slinky. cool to bop to. it sounds like something i've heard before. not sure about the "all practical speed" lyric...kind of bugs me. but I also like it 2. dunno. i'll be keeping this for sure though.

<b>Jay String</b>
first off..dude...please fill in your tag info. i almost didn't review this cuz it didn't show up in my mp3 player till i looked through the tracks manually to pull it up. irritating.
'k. like the beating bass line and drum programming. this is cool, for singsongy kind of technopop. i'd listen to it again for sure..it's catchy. kind of a showtunish. that's a kind of fish. ?
cool.

<b>Pumpkin Buzzard</b>
man this is crazy cool! love it. something about those modulated guitars keep me really siked. it's madness. yah...you guys are cool. like this alot.

<b>Raw Strength & Courage</b>
this is pretty nice for this kind of song. Prince Charming was sung too fast. I like your voice alot bjam...it's real nice. good melody and harmonies and nice recording of you. good job.

<b>Rik Gerblick</b>
somthin' not quite linin' up with the bass drum in the intro..and the first toms are a bit heavy. this is a bit clishe, but it sounds good for the kind of music it is. the guitar playing is pretty good.

<b>Thornberry</b>
you got a nice voice that sings well. this song is eeemotif. i like it. and i'm not a fan of this style usually. nice voice...but you could put the guitar and voice a bit wider I think. in my headphones it sounds like a mistake that the voice is just off center. moving tune though. can I keep it? gonna.

hey thanks for listenign everyone. typing isn't my thing...but i love this place. i promis a better song next time.

thanks!

br
icy caramel flava.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Nick wrote:Hi. My first post! I played bass on the big mouth song last week, and appreciated the reviews so I’ll return the favor.
Thanks, guy! Just so ya know, I break down into the mellow a couple times a month, but am not always that way.
and I've seen some incriminating photos of you guys, I think. Big Mouth rocks. That Leafy Leafman is one skilled man.
BlakRushin' wrote:<b>Blak Rushin'</b>
ok...bit on the sparse side. Limited time on my roomie's pc, but I had this idea see...
Personally, I liked some things about it, it's cool that you got something in. There was a lot of potential to go in different directions. It's not so bad, man. I wanna hear it with a band and a big, dark, bridge.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

boltoph wrote:and a big, dark, bridge.
Big dark bridge?

Yeah, I got nuthin'
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Blak Rushin': The song doesn't do much for me, but you get props for showing up to explain it and provide reviews. Cheers dude.

Boltoph: Bolt Woodtoph. Joshtoph. I like this, but it needs cello. :P

Caravan Ray: There's not much going on north of about 3KHz. Is that by design? Otherwise, with the caveat that I'd probably never listen to something like this outside SF!, I have to say this is flawlessly executed.

Chuck Chuck Moose: Great performance, though I actually find the vocals a bit too dry. That's probably just personal taste. Hmm, and the punch-in on the vocals at 1:58 jumped out a little. Meh, I'm nitpicking. This is good.

Dark Liberty: Lose the reverb on the guitar, and pan it out of the middle. Compress the shit out of your vocals. Sorry, I shouldn't have cursed.

Future Boy: I like the way the kick drum pegs my meters. There's enough going on here to make this relistenable. I dunno what else to say ... You know how it is with SF! sometimes. I'll probably find this one in my head next month, like I do with most of your songs, and regret not having voted for it.

Jay String: Sigh, I might as well cut'n'paste my comment for Future Boy's tune. This is so well done, but it's not grabbing me. That's no slight on the song ... It's just the way it goes with music sometimes, I guess.

Pumpkin Buzzard: This makes me want to fix things around the house.

Raw Strength & Courage: Bjam, was this near the bottom of your range? I'll bet if you played it up a full step, you'd be able to give 'er on the vocal ... Anyway, this song is really well put together. I can't add any production thoughts to what's been stated already. But one thing that did jump out at me: The way you say "work" and "flirt" .. I had this conversation with Boltoph the other day about how "R" sounds do a lot to define a singer. It sounds like you're deliberately forcing the pronunciation on these words, almost like you're trying to hide your natural accent. If that's the case, it might sound better to let a little more of your personality into the phrasing. Does that makes sense?

Rik Gerblick: This is good tune, though the mix is oddly claustrophobic. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think it might be 'cause the bottom end lacks definition (no punch on the bass, no point on the kick drum,) and there's a LOT of the kick drum up in the mid-range ... So it sounds like the song is all crushed into the middle. If you scooped the kick and backed off on the bass guitar, it might open things up a bit.

Thornberry: Perfect for what it is. Sorry I don't have more to say.

I voted Boltoph, but I won't stand for an ongoing lack of cello.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

well, seeing as i'm just sitting around. waiting. remember, before you get mad and take it personally, this is just my opinion.

rik gerblick
the mix seems a bit out of whack, like the track levels need better balancing. the playing is for the most part pretty good. maybe if the other tracks were brought up to the level of the drums, it would sound a little more even. style wise, the tune isn't really my thing but the playing like i said is pretty solid.

boltoph
the bleepy synth stuff is maybe mixed a bit loud, i wish it was more incidental that grabbing so much of my attention, but i like the congas. singing and guitar is pretty good too. i hate to say it's john mayerish but it really is. it's well produced and executed, but could really use some sort of bridge dynamically. i like the weird outro!

caravan ray
the backing mix starts out all tom waits like and i really wish you'd done some vocal effecting to play that angle up. i also wish there was some of that incidental stuff going on during the verse, like the middle eastern synthy stuff you bring in. man, now you effect the vox! you should have busted that out through the whole tune.

future boy
this is pretty awesome. sounds like a beck outtake. very solid. i really dig the arrangement.

dark liberty
sounds a bit disjointed. the electric guitar is pretty good for the most part. vocally, it suffers a bit and maybe that's why you chose not to throw those vox in my face, but if you'd gone all in-my-face-devo-like with the vocal delevery, it would have totally saved this for me.

crosby, stills, raw, strength, and courage
well, anything with decent mandolin and eggshaker automatically gets a nod from me. man, where oh where are the harmony vocals? a bit of acoustic lead noodling in the off verse would have been nice too. well played and good production. nice job.

thornberry
man, you have a nice voice. and you know your range and how to use it. guitar is also nicely done, good dynamics. but the mix really suffers from a lack of low end without a bass. or maybe a keyboard in a lower octave. even though you're singing in a fairly low octave, the fact that it's a single vocal track makes it sound a bit thin. if you'd doubled that up, it could have really beefed up the mix. but as a strictly guy and guitar interpretation, this is very nice and would play well in a coffee house or small club setting. excellent.

jay string
he. this is very cool. absolutely excellent production that i'd call commercial radio ready. this would play really well in a dance club. really, a killer, cool interpretation johnny. i swear, you are the bottomless pit of creativity on songfight.

chuck chuck moose
wow, i love that intro. real nice setup. the vox could maybe use a bit of reverb, but i like what you are going for here, and you pull it off nicely. that is some beautiful keyboard tone you have going on there, and vocally you just play off it perfectly. the string bridge is really nice too, maybe mixed a bit too loud relative to the piano. great job.

pumpkin buzzard
i guess i just don't get it. sounds like you had fun.

black russian
it's pretty well put together, but sort of lacks real substance and purpose.

faves: thornberry, jay string, future boy, chuck

overall, really good fight.
Hi!
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Congrats Boltoph on a well-deserved win!!!!!